SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Need some important tips for TP

Hi Guys, i juz failed my TP last Thursday (280509) :( . My mistakes are...

- wobble when moving off/stopping

-wobble when changing lane/turning

-fail to change to appropriate gear before turning/stopping

I need some tips from you guys out there.... hopefully someone can help me out here....thks....

Riding like a madman, doesn't mean you're a racer...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask your instructor for a circuit & road map of the course.

On the map, write down the exact steps on what to do at each critical point. Revise & visualize in ur head before taking the test.

If you are still wobbling, you need to take more revision circuits to build up riding confidence.

i.e. Start of course - on instructor's hand signal, move forward, stop behind stop line, check right, check back left, move off.

At figure 8, on signal blink, check right, check back left, move off, off signal indicator, signal left, drop 1 gear, stop at stop line.

I need some tips from you guys out there.... hopefully someone can help me out here....thks....

from your description don't see major problem u have...

but stability (wobbling)...killed u...

i guess u really need to practise more to improve yr stabilities...

You need to project the confident look to show the TP.... so think hard what you should to show confident....(wobbling is a minus to confident factor)

From Honda's Phantom to ..................

Clearing each stage at SSDC and BBDC for bike license was fun !!!

wobble when moving off... jus control your clutch and throttle more.

as for stopping, know where you want to stop. brake lightly to slow down, as you approach the stopping line, clutch in, change to gear 1 (keep tapping as many time as possible), then press the brake harder to come to a full stop. while stopping, look in front, not at the floor of the place u wanna stop and it should be able to cure the wobbling.

as for stopping, always stop in gear 1 (unless at ebrake). for turning, u will slow down before executing the turn, so if rpm drop too much, just change down 1 gear, and the engine will sound more normal and smooth. if you turn in a higher gear, you can hear the engine "tock tock tock" 1 and the bike feel powerless.

go for some self practice and try out all the tips fellow forumers give u. hope it will help and good luck to your next tp. :thumb:

肥仔七åƒå·

When u wobble when moving off it usually means that you didn't give enough throttle or get hold of the biting point. When i take my TP that time once i sit on the bike i will play when the clutch. Release the clutch slowly until you feeling the bike moving, that when the bike biting point is.

Wobble when changing lane, i think you might have check your blind spot a little too long, don't check for too long it will cause you to unknowingly turn your handlebar. That where tp mark you for wobbling.

Fail to change to appropriate gear before turning/stopping. Did you brake reduce speed then change gear or you just close throttle and change gear?

The guys here can never mention enough of confident. You need to show the TP that you are confident enough to handle the bike and the course(when you pass and go on the road is a jungle out there)....and a litte luck on that day will help too.

Fail to change to appropriate gear before turning/stopping. Did you brake reduce speed then change gear or you just close throttle and change gear?

i usually brake to reduce speed then change gear...

Riding like a madman, doesn't mean you're a racer...

Wobble when moving off/stopping - Try and trottle lil more, with your left leg down for abt 1 to 2 sec...so you bike remains stable and smooth. That's the tip I learned from the Instructor and it helps!!

Wobble when changing lane/turning - Try to plan ahead by checking your mirror moving lil closer towards the right side of the lane, then reducing speed/or increasing speed before changing lane (:

Fail to change to appropriate gear when turning or stopping - Turning normally is 2nd gear, so just remember to brake reduce speed chnage down gear smoothly. For stopping, remember to kick down as many times until you can't kick anymore.

Hope it helps. You took it at SSDC? I had my TP on 28/05/2009 too, at SSDC.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm sure this will help someone...so here it is.

got this handout on the top 5 immediate failures and top 5 common mistakes for 2009 tp tests today after my road revision. i thought it was really useful.

top 5 immediate failure:

1. improper action causing accident/near accident (footed while turning).

-do more practice on moving off at t-junction to improve throttle and clutch control.

-check the side road earlier before going out of figure 8 and crank course.

-when coming to stop, ensure bike is stable to prevent right foot on road.

2. run off the narrow plank.

-position bike in-line with plank.

-move up plank at faster speed from starting point.

-use throttle and half-clutch control and foot brake to slow down.

-focus eye-point a few metres ahead...do not look down.

3. run off course/foot touches ground/strike kerb (crank course).

-ensure bike speed is fast enuf before changing to 2nd gear.

-release clutch slowly after changing to 2nd gear, do not turn throttle.

-only throttle gently after the first turn when on the straight.

4. fail to form up correctly.

-know your route well in advance, remember lane to be used.

-forming up correctly

-eg. one direction turn arrow lane marking form in 2 rows).

-eg. two direction arrow, position in 1 row on the side of intended turn.

5. strike/skip pylon.

-do not move towards 1st pylon too fast.

-position front wheel between 1st pylon and kerb.

-pick up speed only after 2nd pylon. eyepoint always on next pylon.

-most important...get enough practice!!

top 5 common mistakes.

1. wobble when moving off/stopping (2pts)

-moving off - release clutch slowly to biting point and hold.

-do not release clutch too fast cos bike will jerk.

-stopping - when speed is slow, apply gentle front brake.

-when speed is fast, brake earlier!

-late braking causes bike to jerk to stop.

2. wobble when changing lane/negotiating bend/turning (4pts)

-accelerate according to road/traffic condition before bend, turns or lane change.

-practice figure 8 and crank courses to prevent wobbling when turning.

3. poor acceleration (2pts)

-listen to engine sound grow slightly louder before change to next higher gear.

-take more circuit revision to practice moving off quicker.

4. incorrect technique (2pts)

-hold bar firmly with both hands when 1-wheel length away from braking point.

-head must look up, knee gripping tank (**think this is for ebrake lah)

-when front wheel touches braking point, apply front and rear brake together.

-four fingers must be used for front brake.

-clutch in should be just before you come to a complete stop.

5. fail to check blindspot (4pts)

-when bike is on move, always check to direction of turn at shoulder level before turn.

-when bike is stationary, before moving off, check away from kerb, look over shoulder.

ok...thats all for this. think there are good tips here. enjoy and all the best!

http://simonnunis.smugmug.com/photos/684724736_fuDoa-M-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

U all taking at where? im going for lesson 1... scare if cannot ride leh..

**********DISCLAIMER**********

The information contained in this post, including any attachments,may contain confidential information Copy of this post for any purpose other than viewing for entertainment is not allowed & shall encur a fine of no less than $500 & any court costs required. The courts take copyright violations seriously. Think twice.

• 1 month later...

Oh men! i failed... i was hopping in the room that they won't call my number, end up i got called.... i got 36 points! super high double of passing rate lol...

12 on wobbling and i got 8 points for blind spot checking

i think i also got 8 for abrupt lane change... count until so many.....

think i too long nv ride bike, cause when waiting for TP, only went for 1 RC in 2 months time ... everyday working...

next TP date is 5th nov... still got another 1 month

Oh men! i failed... i was hopping in the room that they won't call my number, end up i got called.... i got 36 points! super high double of passing rate lol...

think i too long nv ride bike, cause when waiting for TP, only went for 1 RC in 2 months time ... everyday working...

ok lah. TP quite near. only 1 month. u doing class 2B? they are more strict at 2B, so it's NOT unusual that you got so many points.. :p

jia you jia you.

http://koenigsegg.hotcars4.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/stig1.gif

Class2,2A,2&3. Demerit 12 Pts.

2006-2008 -NSR150SP

2008-2009 -GRS400

2009-2012 -Piaggio X9

2012-Present-FZ16ST

try to grip the tank tight between ur legs when start to move off or stopping. Blind spots check look over ur shoulders, dun turn ur head downwards like looking on ground... Lane change careful of the circuit too, when right turn at the traffic junction to the slope...

good to go for a road revision 1 or 2 days b4 tp so can familiarise plus see any road works or any other obstacles... :goodluck:

wobbling problem, I think the throttle/speed is not accurate.

for blind spot, DIE DIE must memorize all corners/junction that need to do blind spot check..

PS: Observation on how other riders perform and learn some tips from there. It's working for me.. :) The best it's FOC.. Lolx.. Just go there earlier, and sit nearby observe how other people perform.. :p

http://koenigsegg.hotcars4.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/stig1.gif

Class2,2A,2&3. Demerit 12 Pts.

2006-2008 -NSR150SP

2008-2009 -GRS400

2009-2012 -Piaggio X9

2012-Present-FZ16ST