SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Aftermarket bulbs

GR1Y

have been wondering if the saying is true....changing to aftermarket bulbs example lyt white light n coloured P lights will cause electrical problems such as failing of rectifier n even the down of ur magnectic coil due to power savings as ur charging coil will b overcharging......

wondering if pros here can help solve my qns n so paiseh if ts has been post b4(if really post b4,can i ve the link so tat i can read more??thks)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rex@Oct 29 2006, 02:11 PM

good question man..

i have been wondering about that too

can anyone help with this please?

when i ve my original orange bulb on my 00R1,the volt meter showing 13.5 when gg at 100km/hr....bt when i replace with white light,the meter shows a unstable of 14.25 at the same speed....recently i change to blue P light...had my rectifier failed n batt suks dry though the batt is only 3mth old....mech told me my rectifier/batt/magnetic coil n starter moto mayb failed due of the changing.....nw i ve the P light removed n rectifier n batt replaced....the bike works well so far for 1-2mths.....so asking the pros out here for their knowledge n experience....

• 1 month later...

IMHO, using different bulbs may cause undesirable results. this is mainly because different bulbs have different ampere and also different voltage. this also result in different Watts per hour. having different volt and ampere also have different impedance.(Impedance is the load of the circuit to the power source) Rectifier is a device that converts AC to DC. Which enables charging of battery. Fuse blown or melt are signs of incorrect ampere are used. There is also something to take note of. It's the power lost when bike is switch off. It can be measure using a multi meter connecting to the battery when the bike is off...

NB: I'm not expert but i did study some electrical...

Road is a place to practise safety.

Track is a place to practise skills.

Originally posted by enfant@Oct 31 2006, 02:22 AM

i used phillips diamond vision bulbs on my bike. they got my high beam switch melted and blew my fuse after 2 months of usage.

well... the case abt ur headlight switch melting is probably cos the switch wasnt meant to handle high current. all switches have a current rating like say it can handle 5A or sth... so to solve the first problem, install a relay. tt way ur headlight switch only activates the relay which in turn activates the bulb.. so no worries there..

abt ur fuse problem.. remember the equation Power(W) = Voltage(V) x Current(I)?

so if ur headlight requires 60W across 12V, from the equation you require 5A of current. so wad u can do is open ur fusebox, check the rating of the fuse for ur headlights... most probably it is or below 5A.. thus you would blow the fuse everytime u use the headlight.. so get a higher rating like 8A.. bear in mind tt u need to get at least 8A and not 6A cos when u high-rev ur bike, the current supplied during charging is more than 5A.. so to be safe get 8A if there is(7A wld still be ok.) or anything close to that...

you may want to change ur headlight wiring to one tt can support more current.. maybe ur current wires are too thin...

last but not least, changing to an aftermarket headlight doesnt mean its bad.. its good actually.. philips diamond vision is reputed to be one of the best bulbs around.. like me im currently using a 100W/90W bulb.. and my headlight switch and everything else is still fine.. so before u buy an aftermarket bulb, do check ur fusebox, install a relay to play safe and check the current rating of the bulb with the equation above... or u can check with a credible mech.. hopefully it'll solve ur problem.. cheers.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7100/vfrsiggy.jpg

Originally posted by dinie@Dec 17 2006, 04:50 AM

well... the case abt ur headlight switch melting is probably cos the switch wasnt meant to handle high current. all switches have a current rating like say it can handle 5A or sth... so to solve the first problem, install a relay. tt way ur headlight switch only activates the relay which in turn activates the bulb.. so no worries there..

abt ur fuse problem.. remember the equation Power(W) = Voltage(V) x Current(I)?

so if ur headlight requires 60W across 12V, from the equation you require 5A of current. so wad u can do is open ur fusebox, check the rating of the fuse for ur headlights... most probably it is or below 5A.. thus you would blow the fuse everytime u use the headlight.. so get a higher rating like 8A.. bear in mind tt u need to get at least 8A and not 6A cos when u high-rev ur bike, the current supplied during charging is more than 5A.. so to be safe get 8A if there is(7A wld still be ok.) or anything close to that...

you may want to change ur headlight wiring to one tt can support more current.. maybe ur current wires are too thin...

last but not least, changing to an aftermarket headlight doesnt mean its bad.. its good actually.. philips diamond vision is reputed to be one of the best bulbs around.. like me im currently using a 100W/90W bulb.. and my headlight switch and everything else is still fine.. so before u buy an aftermarket bulb, do check ur fusebox, install a relay to play safe and check the current rating of the bulb with the equation above... or u can check with a credible mech.. hopefully it'll solve ur problem.. cheers.

yup i agree on that.. my baby blade had melts on her fusebox on the areas ard the headlight fuse.. i bought a piece of relay (the type same as electric horn) and wired it to my headlights..

now i dun had animore melting problems and i dun haf to worry bout my headlite switch melting on me.. most to most only the relay and the fuse attached to it will go if things go wrong..

CBR400 uses 35/35watt bulbs.

Using 2 X 55/60 watt bulbs means you're running an extra 40watts on lowbeam, or 50 extra watts on highbeam!

Nowonder your switch melts... Please use the correct rated bulbs.

nE0, I think the NC29 runs 60/35W bulbs stock. I am running 60/55W Phillips Silvervision bulbs using a relay. So far it has not given me any problems, although my mech did tell me that my rectifier was about to die.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

Originally posted by rhema83@Dec 20 2006, 09:12 AM

nE0, I think the NC29 runs 60/35W bulbs stock. I am running 60/55W Phillips Silvervision bulbs using a relay. So far it has not given me any problems, although my mech did tell me that my rectifier was about to die.

yup.. 2nd that.. its 35/60W stock... but except for honda stock bulb.. i tink damn hard to find this kind of wattage for H4.. but seriously.. will the higher wattage destroy the elec charging sys in the long run? say a yr?

coz as the manual states.. UK version of the blades uses 55/60W stock.. and theirs cums with relay stock.. their charging sys is identical if i m not wrong..