SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[minor accident] help needed on course of action

Softcore

today met with a minor accident with a small renault pick-up. something like kangoo one.

i was travelling along orchard road along paragon/heeren stretch. on 3rd lane, which is clear. 4th lane was jammed. travelling at 20-30kmh coz it was pouring like mad, i maintained a safe distance from the car which was about 40m in front of me, and was getting ready to stop behind that car as it braked to a stop after i noticed it.

suddenly, out of the middle of the 4th lane (which is to my left), out came this pick-up, where i only noticed its signal AFTER it poked its head out to my lane. at this point, i was only ~15m from this pick-up, which was too late to brake as i had initially maintained my braking distance for that car which was in front of me initially. this pick-up halted to a stop behind my original car, and i was already braking when i saw this pick-up's head stick out.

hence, i knew that if i were to jam break in this crazy rain, i would skid and get hurt, and most likely buang anyway. therefore, i braked as much as i could safely without skidding, and hit the left signal light of that damned pick-up. my IU broke off the stand and fell off, my headlight shifted to the left a small distance, and my slippers broke. luckily i had no physical injury. my bike obviously fell over 1 side, after which i quickly picked it up and signalled to stop near the damned pick-up to discuss terms because he stopped over at the left side afterward.

to describe the damage on the pick-up, there's a vertical row of lights on the left side of the van. top being the red brake lights, middle small bar is reverse, and bottom-most is the left-signal. i cracked the left-signal light. i'm not sure if to change it, it would require the whole piece to be changed, or what.

i discussed terms with him and he insisted that he had checked his mirror and that i was FAR away. however, i told him that his perceived braking distance (of a 4-wheeler) and a bike is totally different. he argued that since he signalled and i banged him, i am the one at fault. i didn't want to argue with an uneducated pick-up driver so i gave him my hp number and bike plate number. din get his details coz i was in the rain. he said it's a company vehicle and he'll call me. anyway there weren't any witnesses who bothered, nor came to us. so i'm thinking what's my next course of action?

from here i can point out a few things:

1) negligence on his part that he assumed that i can brake in time without skidding

2) i'm the one at fault when i saw his nose poke out at the same time i saw his signal? (coz his vehicle was on the left side of the lane, so i couldn't see his vehicle since the one behind him was blocking)

advice please. really appreciate it guys.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

declare what it is to your insurance company...

it is his van that cut into your lane.... and hit him on front...

insurance claim look at which area u hit him.... if normally this front is hit...

it is he cut into your lane with care...if u settle privately he will demand u to pay him...

Tell him it is his fault to cut in this way...and him pay for it.....if he refuse to pay

else declare to your insurance company and claim against him...

From Honda's Phantom to ..................

Clearing each stage at SSDC and BBDC for bike license was fun !!!

declare what it is to your insurance company...

it is his van that cut into your lane.... and hit him on front...

insurance claim look at which area u hit him.... if normally this front is hit...

it is he cut into your lane with care...if u settle privately he will demand u to pay him...

Tell him it is his fault to cut in this way...and him pay for it.....if he refuse to pay

else declare to your insurance company and claim against him...

didnt TS hit the back of the vehicle as oppose to what u say TS hit the vehicle of its front..

cos he mention reverse light in the row of lights area that was hit..

lol wad insurance company is urs?depends on ur insurance company..

mine NTUC see i Pplate den dunwan help..i kena bang by a car frm behind yet i lose the case..

should be i win in the end let opposite claim..WHAT THE BLO0DY HELL IS NTUC INSURANCE DOIN SIA..FCUKING USELESS ! NTUC INSURANCE CAN CLOSED DOWN !

Class2B - 11 Dec 08

Past - Honda Wave 125S

Current - Kawasaki KRR 150

Class3 - 26/09/09

Current - Lancer GLX 1.6

One Life, Treasure It

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x70/nengwei/R6-1.jpg

Future - YZF R6

Ya I hit him on his ass...

since its private settlement, what the update now ?

he got wanna chop u not? better report to insurer for safeguard?

btw if private settlement, rmb to sign a document as a proof of settling it privately when its done. this can cover ur ass, if he ask u to pay, then backstab u..

didnt TS hit the back of the vehicle as oppose to what u say TS hit the vehicle of its front..

cos he mention reverse light in the row of lights area that was hit..

ops...i missed that...if it the back of vehicle.....it's not to TS advantage...

private settlement would be the best option...if he didn't chop u

From Honda's Phantom to ..................

Clearing each stage at SSDC and BBDC for bike license was fun !!!

since TS hit the left signal light, the whole light cover less than $100. Buy and have it replaced at any workshop. Just private settlement with him since it is a company car.

Hit e rear, so might be a disadvantage.

Do sign an agreement form, i think NTUC INCOME website has such a form.

http://www.income.com.sg/forms/claims/Motor-PteSettle.pdf

Raining, so hard to judge e distance. Some pick up n lorry drivers are S-Hole.... purposely drive into our lane bcos we r 'small' in size.

Speedy recovery to TS, Monsoon season, Ride safe. :thumb:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2679/189/29/620279922/n620279922_2379756_8186156.jpg

Shared grief is half the sorrow. Happiness when shared is doubled

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs110.snc3/15733_203433224922_620279922_4083571_81483_n.jpg

在错的时候é‡åˆ°å¯¹çš„人, 是é—憾;

在对的时候é‡åˆ°é”™çš„人, 是错爱;

在错的时候é‡åˆ°é”™çš„人, 是幸è¿;

在对的时候é‡åˆ°å¯¹çš„人, 是幸ç¦.

50-50 chance, depends on which part of e vehicle you hit...

lousy system...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2679/189/29/620279922/n620279922_2379756_8186156.jpg

Shared grief is half the sorrow. Happiness when shared is doubled

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs110.snc3/15733_203433224922_620279922_4083571_81483_n.jpg

在错的时候é‡åˆ°å¯¹çš„人, 是é—憾;

在对的时候é‡åˆ°é”™çš„人, 是错爱;

在错的时候é‡åˆ°é”™çš„人, 是幸è¿;

在对的时候é‡åˆ°å¯¹çš„人, 是幸ç¦.

But Even If We Hit Him, Isnt It The Driver's Fault For Changing Lanes Without Checking And Poor Judgement?

Yea I was thinking this way. If I'm travelling a 30kmh innocently den a vehicle cut into my lane 20m in front of me and he brake after 10m, even them how can I judge in d rain? I wudnt know wads on his mind.

Let's say worst case is that the vehicle cut into my lane just 5m in front of me. Den brake after 5m. I of coz bang la. Den how to explain sia? If I'm in d wrong of coz I settle on spot alr. It's coz I find his actions very dangerous, which suddenly reduced my braking distance.

My insurance company is from Albert Motor at queensway. So let's say d repair is roughly $100, I'm not willing to settle privately coz to me it's a huge sum and my ncd for next yr is prob less than $100 savings. I'm a p-plate but I definitely know wads safe riding and general road ethics/safety. Been driving for 3+ yr's alr.

Well As Long As He Comes Out Halfway Then You Hit Him Then I Think Can Say His His Fault For Entering Ur Lane Carelessly.

But If He Fully Out Already Then You Still Langgar, He Can Say You Were Not Alert And Not Focusing On The Road.

Get What I Mean Roughly?

i feel that since u did not call police (since he dun wanna own up), and now the rice ald chao tah, what can u do?

come down for inspection also only can inspect his rear kenna hit, cannot see any brake trail on the road on that day itself etc. i.e. lots of evidence lost, so a bit hard to cleanse urself even if jump into yellow river. :(

if on that day itself police come down take statements, less probability the driver will "peng weh". now he got all the time in the world to consult his buddy arh ga liao friends, they teach him how to INSIST u ride dangerously, what can any rider do? :(

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

did you or the driver take any photos of the accident scene? and did you report to ur insurance company?

nope. it was raining. i was on the bike the whole way while talking to him. in fact, there's no evidence at all... wad evidence can you think of that he can use against me, actually?

Yes it will be 50-50 chance. Whatever it is.....do report this to your insurance company. Be it you are claiming or not. Y i say this? He can play u back and report to insurance. Since you did not report to your insurance company, there is no black and white. Insurance Company may not want to take this up and you have to pay 100% of the damages. Please do report to Insurance within 24hrs.

For me, it does not mean that you hit people's backside means 100% your fault. An eye-witness or any cams somewhere there will be able to tell the truth. Do try and see if there are any cameras pointing to your direction.

* Suzuki GSR750

----------------------------

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric2/196279.png

nope. it was raining. i was on the bike the whole way while talking to him. in fact, there's no evidence at all... wad evidence can you think of that he can use against me, actually?

Yes it will be 50-50 chance. Whatever it is.....do report this to your insurance company. Be it you are claiming or not. Y i say this? He can play u back and report to insurance. Since you did not report to your insurance company, there is no black and white. Insurance Company may not want to take this up and you have to pay 100% of the damages. Please do report to Insurance within 24hrs.

For me, it does not mean that you hit people's backside means 100% your fault. An eye-witness or any cams somewhere there will be able to tell the truth. Do try and see if there are any cameras pointing to your direction.

i agree with bro IvikaRazI. better report to ur insurance company just to be on the safe side. y i ask whether u took any photos becos it happened to me before..long story cut short.. i that time noob cos duno anything so i agreed to settle privately. we exchange details but we both forgot to take photos.. he end up fleecing me for a crazy sum and i wana nego but he dun wan to. he say he will claim against me if i dun pay him the sum and i tell him go ahead. i have not heard from him nor my insurance company and i have alr renewed my insurance. moral of story: no photos = no evidence.

Edited by johjoh

i agree with bro IvikaRazI. better report to ur insurance company just to be on the safe side. y i ask whether u took any photos becos it happened to me before..long story cut short.. i that time noob cos duno anything so i agreed to settle privately. we exchange details but we both forgot to take photos.. he end up fleecing me for a crazy sum and i wana nego but he dun wan to. he say he will claim against me if i dun pay him the sum and i tell him go ahead. i have not heard from him nor my insurance company and i have alr renewed my insurance. moral of story: no photos = no evidence.

True true. Happen to my bro. He hit the backside of a taxi. The taxi claim front bumper as part of the accident claim. Hit back, front affected meh?

Anyway now can't say difficult to take photos since almost all the mobile phones are equip with camera.

* Suzuki GSR750

----------------------------

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric2/196279.png

since TS hit the left signal light, the whole light cover less than $100. Buy and have it replaced at any workshop. Just private settlement with him since it is a company car.

Hit e rear, so might be a disadvantage.

Do sign an agreement form, i think NTUC INCOME website has such a form.

http://www.income.com.sg/forms/claims/Motor-PteSettle.pdf

Raining, so hard to judge e distance. Some pick up n lorry drivers are S-Hole.... purposely drive into our lane bcos we r 'small' in size.

Speedy recovery to TS, Monsoon season, Ride safe. :thumb:

thanks for sharing the form!

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

update:

representative from the company of the van called.

asked for my license plate number for police report [to confirm?] (maybe for them to claim insurance from their side?)

said they're not going to claim from me.

that's all.

is there anything i should be wary of?

get them to sign a mutual agreement form. this is especially bad for u cos u hit the REAR of the van. if u hit the side of the van means they are in the wrong cos u had the right of way. even though we all like to believe u here, the facts are that u hit the back which means they can say u rear ended. so just hope for the best.