Jump to content
SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

    Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

    Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

    Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

    Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi Guys,

 

Im having problems with my R1 2003, can't start and found the battery is not holding charge.. call up mech and said most probably battery and rectifier..

Bike was towed to the workshop and diagnosed by measuring the Volts from each white cable coming out of the stator/generator and found that I had to get the stator fixed or replace new :cry:

further diag also found that the magnet was stuck and had to be removed/replace which will cost 400 bucks..:giddy:

 

Anyone came across the same prob b4? And wat's the cost like?

Is it replaceable with OEM parts..:sweat:

Need some advice.

Great Power, Great sound, Great Quality... Safety?

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

By magnet, are you referring to the flywheel? The flywheel on the R1 is notorious for getting stuck on the tapered edge of the crankshaft and if the mechanic is not careful, damage could be done, with the flywheel being removed by cutting it off. That flywheel is not cheap.

 

What you could do is to find someplace in Singapore to rewind the stator (I've been trying to look for one myself). If you're lucky, you could get a second-hand flywheel from the scrap-yard, provided some 02's and 03's have been scrapped. It should be a lot cheaper to use a second hand flywheel.

For the certainty of death and the knowledge of life's fragility, makes it worth living.

Posted

Bro Marcheline, yup some refer to as flywheel also. It's really not cheap.. got quoted 1.1K for the change including the rect, battery etc.. although done some search from net on options for removal of stator.. it's the sourcing of spareparts diff in sg. :sian:

 

Awy no choice.. best option is to drag to a garage for help.. pay and the mechs will do all hard work

Btw wat's your ride?

Great Power, Great sound, Great Quality... Safety?

Posted

Who is quoting you 1.1k?

From experience its rare for both stator and rectifier to go at the same time. I have changed both stator and rectifier and batteries at different times.

The stator and batt put me back slightly under 500. The rectifier should be about 200-300 dollars. all this on an 04 R1

Forget about rewinding the stator - get in touch with Hong Leong or Auto Machinery and find out the cost for the parts.

Get informed about the bike and parts needed - go to Yamaha USA, they have a parts section that will come in handy when ordering. Go down to Auto Machinery - they're located down the street from Leo Vince and two streets from Mustafa.

http://www.fb666y.com/images/web/fb666y_signature.jpg

Ride Reports, Pictures & Plenty More at www.fb666y.com

Posted (edited)
Bro Marcheline, yup some refer to as flywheel also. It's really not cheap.. got quoted 1.1K for the change including the rect, battery etc.. although done some search from net on options for removal of stator.. it's the sourcing of spareparts diff in sg. :sian:

 

Awy no choice.. best option is to drag to a garage for help.. pay and the mechs will do all hard work

Btw wat's your ride?

An R1 '01. Try sourcing for a second-hand flywheel from the scrapyards (Try Ah Ann at Jalan Buroh). If that fails, look around on the US bike websites. They frequently part out their entire bike and sell the parts. I bought a relatively new clutch assembly from a bike forum and the guy's from Canada. Was about 1/3 of the price of a new assembly, including shipping and exchange rate.

Who is quoting you 1.1k?

From experience its rare for both stator and rectifier to go at the same time. I have changed both stator and rectifier and batteries at different times.

The stator and batt put me back slightly under 500. The rectifier should be about 200-300 dollars. all this on an 04 R1

Forget about rewinding the stator - get in touch with Hong Leong or Auto Machinery and find out the cost for the parts.

Get informed about the bike and parts needed - go to Yamaha USA, they have a parts section that will come in handy when ordering. Go down to Auto Machinery - they're located down the street from Leo Vince and two streets from Mustafa.

Do take note that the OEM Yamaha stators go off after 40,000km without fail. $1,100 is about there. The price of the flywheel from Automachinery itself would cost about $500 - $600.

Edited by Marcheline

For the certainty of death and the knowledge of life's fragility, makes it worth living.

Posted

I'm rebuilding an entirely separate '01 engine. Once it's complete, my flywheel from my old engine should be available. A reverse lookup of the part number of the flywheel for our bikes:

 

R1 '01 - 4XV-81450-00-00

R1 '03 - 5PW-81450-00-00

 

I'm not sure whether they're interchangeable, you'd have to find that out yourself from your trusted mech. Logically, I don't see Yamaha redesigning that chunk of metal prior to the '04, other than re-designating the part number, as I found out trying to buy clutch bearings and washers from Automachinery. If it is, I could probably help you out. Other than that, good luck.

For the certainty of death and the knowledge of life's fragility, makes it worth living.

Posted
Do take note that the OEM Yamaha stators go off after 40,000km without fail. $1,100 is about there. The price of the flywheel from Automachinery itself would cost about $500 - $600.

 

I beg to differ: my rectifier went bad after 10,000km. The stator lasted till about 70,000km. When I sold the bike the mileage was at 130,000km and the stator was running fine.

http://www.fb666y.com/images/web/fb666y_signature.jpg

Ride Reports, Pictures & Plenty More at www.fb666y.com

Posted

Sorry guys.

Jsut being curious here.

 

Not a Yam owner (used to own a LC125 but that was ages ago and irrelevant).

 

You guys mentioned that Yamaha OEM rectifiers are consistently dying after 10,000km and stator coils go bad after 40,000 km?

Is this a official estimation or based on experience?

 

Not intending to argue or anything. I am really curious on the stated lifespans of these devices.

Posted

It's an estimate. Yamaha never officially states the lifespan of its parts and components, but there is a trend with regards to it. I'd recommend rewinding of the stator if only I could find someone specialising in it. Haven't asked that electrical shop in Kelantan Lane yet. Will post up once I get around to asking.

For the certainty of death and the knowledge of life's fragility, makes it worth living.

Posted
It's an estimate. Yamaha never officially states the lifespan of its parts and components, but there is a trend with regards to it. I'd recommend rewinding of the stator if only I could find someone specialising in it. Haven't asked that electrical shop in Kelantan Lane yet. Will post up once I get around to asking.

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

I'm riding a GSR600 and have clocked over 89K km on it.

Rectifier and stator still as normal since day 1 I got my bike. Only thing starting to fail was the 3+ year-old battery but that's normal since I don't do proper maintenance on it (full discharge and recharge every week or thereabout).

 

Just odd to see critical parts estimated to fail every 10K. Given my current mileage, I would have changed rectifiers 8 times.

That is a rather expensive proposition....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...