SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Should I get a Honda SP or a Kawasaki KRR? Pros/Cons?

Squirtle

Hi I'm planning to get a 2B sports bike.

I like the design and shape of SP & KR. So I was wondering which one would you all recommend me, in terms of speed/pickup and cost of maintenance/servicing.

I saw a SP & KR, both @ $3,500 at a shop with COE until year 2020. (Is the price steep?)

It'll be great if you can list both the pros and cons of both bikes :thumb:

Questions:

1) When I buy from the shop, will the shop service the bike for me?

2) How would I know whether the SP bike is a NSR PROARM, or a NSR RR?

3) Must I overhaul my engine when I get the bike?

4) How often should I maintain/service the bike?

clutch houseing + plate => 450

clutch pate=> 110

chain and sprocket (last for long time)=> 120

tires (front and back)=> 180

full service(take out everything and wash exclude changing of parts)=> 120

service and tune cub =>40

good 2T (motul)=>29+-

engine oil & spark plug => 70

fork seal => 80 each

piston => 110

2t tank =>15

brake pump=>45

brake pad (good and lasting) =>50

clutch and throttle cable =>15 each

5) Every time I service, must I change the top mentioned items?

6) What parts should I change monthly/yearly?

7) Does both bikes require 2T?

Would really appreciate all your advice/opinions/answers :)

BTW, VERY VERY IMPORTANT, IF YOU HAVE NEVER RIDE A 2-STROKE BIKE BEFORE, PLEASE SEEK ADVICE FROM AN EXPERIENCED 2-STROKE RIDER.

2-STROKE BIKES BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY, YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL & RIDE DIFFERENTLY.

2-STROKES BIKES LACK ENGINE BRAKING SO YOU NEED TO CHANGE BRAKING STYLE.

2-STROKE BIKES HAVE A NARROWER & MORE "SUDDEN" POWER BAND SO YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO RIDE IT PROPERLY & BE CAREFUL OF THE POWER CHANGES & GEAR CHANGES.

i am a KR owner, want to buy my bike? ( just joking? :-P ). NSR owners will say SP best, KR owners will say KR better, TZ owners say "TZM ftw" :-P. Who knows which is best?

in my humble opinion, the model does not matter very much. what is more important is how well the previous owners maintained the bike. a well-maintained cheaper bike is better than a badly maintained more "branded" one, right?

(1) & (2) already answered by others.

(3) you do not need to overhaul unless your bike is really ****ed up or you got too much money. If the bike is that ****ed up condition that you need to overhaul, pay a bottom low price. :-)

(4) around every 3000km. Less if you are rich & fussy. More if you are bochap & cheapskate. :-P

(5) around every 3000km, change gear oil. see (4). That is all. The others like plugs, chain, sprocket, brakes & tyres are only replaced when worn which depends on use. Get a honest mechanic or trusted friend to check for you. No need to "change everything" unless you are trying to be a pro-racer & "chiong" everyday & got lots of money.

6) if you have lots of money, you can change everything as often as you want. Most of us change parts only when they are worn / damaged.

However, be warned all old bikes will need a lot of " care / repairs " in your 1st 6 months unless you are extremely lucky. However, after 6 months or so, when you have repaired all the "old" problems & if you take good care of it from now on, it should be fine, unless you are a hell-racer or have a accident. Set aside a sum of money for repairs in your 1st year for old bikes. If no or very little problems, consider yourself lucky. Buy a brand new bike sure no problem but also not "accident-proof".

the NSR150 SP stopped production in 2001 & old stock sold out by 2002. So any SP you buy is at least 9 years old. You cannot expect brand new condition. So don't complain about repairs. If COE expires at 2020, the bike is probably registered at 2000. Even a 4-stroke bike that is already 11 years old will have problems unless the ex-owners overhaul every year ( seldom happens )

7) you MUST top up 2T, it is NOT AN OPTION. How often? depends on your usage. Unlike 4T which is changed, 2T is burned off just like your petrol. 2T finish, engine finish.

Unless you ride like 500km DAILY ( difficult to do so in Singapore ), just check your 2t every week. Average riders ( around 35~50km daily ) users use 1 litre of 2t every month. More mileage, more 2t ( same as petrol ). if you always whack & unnecessary full throttle all the time, petrol & 2t will burn up faster.

you can chose to top up when nearly empty ( risky! ) or top up a little bit every week ( safer ). it costs the same anyway.

2t costs like $5 ~ $25+ per litre, depends on brand & type. No money, use cheaper 2t. Lots of money, use more expensive 2t. In theory, more expensive usually means better ( performance & engine maintainance ). I will like to use the most expensive type but as i have average income, i use mid- priced 2T.

If you want to enjoy riding, get a sports bike. You want a cheap commuter, get a WAVE or SPARK.

Edited by bukitmerah
WARNING

Thanks & Best Regards.

We are all here to share & learn. :thumb:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this. why doesn't anybody consider a tzm.

hahaha...i never say TZM no good but if you read the guy's posts like in his 2nd line "i like the design & shape of ..." so i guess it is just a matter of HIS personal taste & preference.

Thanks & Best Regards.

Hi all! i've got a question here! which option is more feasible? i just passed tp and im 21.

A: get a sp, either with 2013 coe or 202x coe, scrap or sell depending on the coe..

B: get a x1r, just ride till i get class 2A. which will be around 2013 as well..

i understand that once i get a transport, no matter how sure will lose money.. trying to see which option will lose the minimum. i will definitely upgrade to class 2A! SUPER 4!

different strokes for different folks.

SP is more enjoyable to ride = you want speed

x1r is cheaper to maintain = you just want a cheap commuter.

Thanks & Best Regards.

Ok. Able to install the electric starter? I like to press button aha

Actually, kick start better than electric start. More "KICK" ( pun intended :-P ), less "trouble & problems" ( don't believe, go try ).

If you intended to take the trouble to ride a SP or KR, go learn kick-starting. It is super easy. Get used to it. :-P

Thanks & Best Regards.

If you keep want sp just go get 1. No point asking so much.

agreed...

Ok. Able to install the electric starter? I like to press button aha

ive read that you can install electric start on SP, got $$ can do anything... should be around 200....

3.5k for SP is way way way way too much, those on forum selling at 1.7-2.4k straight cash.... i would suggest saving up the $$ for full cash payment, one time settle then ride and enjoy....

Cheap + fast = no good

Cheap + good = not fast

Good + fast = not cheap

>>>(wise words from ahduck)<<<

Actually, kick start better than electric start. More "KICK" ( pun intended :-P ), less "trouble & problems" ( don't believe, go try ).

If you intended to take the trouble to ride a SP or KR, go learn kick-starting. It is super easy. Get used to it. :-P

HAHAHA lol! Thanks for the above help :)

~ Women are greedy, they want all things from one man.

~ Men are simple, they want only one thing from all women.

• 3 weeks later...
Buying a bike with renewed COE is of cost ex, I got my KR for 3.1k plus renew COE. Abit ex but with the bike's condition still very good, just go for it :)

agreed. i got an SP for 3.5k plus coe renewed. not abit ex. but very ex. but was told to test ride the bike to see the condition, and was blown away haha. so made up my mind to pay abit more for peace of mind. PLUS. i only agreed to the price if i get a brand new paintwork of my choice! hohoho. soo seeing a new paintwork with pattern pattern is easily 400 - 500+. i think i got a slightly expensive deal but i was comfortable with. so yea.. see what the bike shop willing to nego with you! all the best.

btw, i rode a cbr150 first, then changed to sp. sold it off and bought another sp because why? i really love SP! hehe