SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Perforated Leather Jacket Review

jtjagan

Hi guys

Just wanted to share my thoughts on using perforated leather jacket in Singapore.

I have used riding jackets since my class 2b but it has always been the mesh type. Recently I was talking to couple of riding buddies and they mentioned (on 2 separate occasions) that perforated leather is actually more cooling than mesh jackets. So I decided to get one to test this theory (and to replace my aging Clover touring jacket). I found an AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket from motorcyclegear. It was on sale and total including shipping + GST was SGD290.

This jacket has perforations on the chest and along the arms but none on the back. However is also has zipped vents on the shoulders, underarms and back that can be opened up for more venting.

1) Riding with all vents open

Highway riding - I can feel a lot of air flowing, especially down my back. At faster speeds during early hours, it can get chilly. It was definitely flowing more air than my Clover mesh jacket

Stop-start city riding - Speeds above 20km/h still vents enough air so that you don't feel hot and uncomfortable. Traffic stops are still bearable.

KPE tunnel test - Though it is warm air being vented through the jacket, riding through KPE is till ok.

2) Riding will all vents closed

Highway riding - Not too much wind flowing through the jacket but it is still cooling. Riding with vents closed is workable for early morning trips on NSH

City riding - Started to get noticeably warmer. When I came to a stop between a bus and a truck at the traffic lights, started to feel sweat forming on chest and back.

KPE tunnel test - Getting warmer and warmer. Not a pleasant ride.

Things to consider if using leather for daily rides:

- Make sure you get a perforated AND vented jacket. Perforations alone is not sufficient to keep cool during slow rides. However my friend did say that if the jacket has rear perforations (mine doesn't), the air flow will be better

- Leather jacket is heavy and will not fold for storage like a mesh jacket. So you will end up wearing it until you can sit and chill.

- If you get caught in the rain while riding, well the smell of new leather quickly becomes the stinky smell of wet leather!

Will I be using it for daily ride? Not likely. I am too used to my mesh jacket but my friend who bought the jacket with me is now using it for daily ride to work (90% highway). For riders who mainly commute in the city like me, it can get pretty warm quite fast, especially if you have to do many stops at the lights. But it sure does look cool though.

For touring, this jacket would be great; close the vents during the early part of the ride, open some as day gets warmer. Bring along a good raincoat if weather turns bad.

Do get the right fit when buying. Initially it was quite snug but now it feels just nice. The armor on the shoulder and and elbows feel like they won't move during a crash. Back armor is a bit flimsy and the pocket does not take the usual hard armor. Will probably need to get Sastec or D3O as an upgrade.

Hope this short review helps. Have a safe ride!

V4 > Inline3 > Inline4

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great. always wondered how Leather would work in our tropical climate.

i was shopping around for leather but settled for mesh when it was more cooling and practical for my use.

no worries about smell after rain, can fold, lighter weight.

but a leather jacket keeps you cooler in the mornings and warmer in the evenings, and it looks more stylish. you can wear it off your bike into malls and restaurants without people batting an eyelid. try it with a mesh jacket with some racing stripes and you'll be the talk of the town! might even get STOMPED.

February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200

March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400

Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

922913_10151689291867959_1156170833_n.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been wearing mesh jackets for several years, and would continue to do so for practical reasons, especially the HEAT here in Singapore.

Mesh jackets are easy to maintain, lighter, and have better ventilation.

Leather jackets are insulating, and keep the riders warm, no matter what time of the day.

In such heat, most of us would melt in the leather jackets, and because it's made of leather, maintaining it becomes a real problem in such climates.

And I don't think leather jackets can be properly washed. And constant drying in the sun would make the leather dry, hard and crack.

So...

• 1 year later...

Well I started w mesh jacket.

Dainese mesh

PrO

Lighter cooler when stationary. Can use in hot noon sun time....

Dirty can't tell till u wash , water v black after a mth of use

No maintanence Except wash.

Hard plastic armor feels safe for the mind but not the net net feel.

Cons

But too cold at night. When the traffic is light.

May not last if Buang, one time it's might be time to get a new one.

Move fast I feel a lot of tubulances

Leather : RSD perforated barfly

Pro

After leather cream, v soft and comfy

Leather look and Tan Color damn cafe look , but it look more like a dress suit

Inside big pocket for even a baseball cap

Big perforation thus moving still cool.

Moving fast in late night coldness will not be a issue

Ride fast dun really have wind buffing

Con

As Long as stop a lot traffic in hot sun , u will curse

Need to apply cream once like half a year

This doesn't came w armor, thus bought d3o to put in.

Well end of the day, if u are a early day move and late night go home rider, 8-5 type leather is ok

If u move a lot in noon and day time, mesh is more practical