SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

New riders tip for crash avoidance.

Hi, 

Thought maybe I'll start a thread for everyone to share their own experienced so new bikers can benefit from everyone's experiences. You have only 1 life and 1 body... You don't have enough lives to learn the mistakes yourself. 

1. Never follow closely behind truck or heavy vehicles. - Why? Because they have BIGGER BRAKES and can stop at prob half the distance you can stop. 4 wheels have more stopping power than 2 wheels. Period. 

2. Never ride constantly on painted surfaced on the road during Rain. - Why? Because they are SLIPPERY and if you need to brake you will simply skid on them. Without ABS you'll prob crash immediately with a front wheel lock. 

3. Try not to ride immediately when it starts to rain. - Why? Because when rain starts all the oil stains on the road starts to float up to the surface and that makes the road very slippery. after 15 mins or so those oil would likely flow to the side of the road and it would be safer. If you need to ride..., go slower. 

4. Do not try to speed through water ponding areas. - You're not a boat... going through it at higher speed will induce hydro/aqua planning which makes you skim above the water and you'll just crash... 

5. Do not lean into curves during heavy rain on highways. - Why? Because there are metal gutters strips on the road to drain water away and it stretches through the whole length of the road... you can skid and crash. 

6. Learn to counter steer. It is more effective for emergencies. 

7. Have a safety bubble when you ride. When no one is around you... that's the safest for any riders. 

8. When you encounter a speeding bike from the back. Don't panic, just stay on the path and don't change lanes. They will avoid you easily. If you make sudden motions they will likely crash with you. 

9. When you encounter a speeding car from the back. If you have time, move to the left lanes. If not try to accelerate just keep to your lane first. 

10. When you encounter a speeding truck from the back. Better evade to the left ASAP else try to accelerate and move out... they can just run over you without knowing

Will add more when able ! 

Stay safe and stay cool (mentally) when riding! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nowonderla said:

Just don’t speed. 

😂😂 that’s true. But some situations you don’t need to be speeding to be caught in. 

This is for sharing of your own experiences of those near accidents encounters so our new friends can better anticipate those scenarios and avoid getting into them. 😄

On 7/14/2022 at 10:51 AM, Siphon said:

Hi, 

Thought maybe I'll start a thread for everyone to share their own experienced so new bikers can benefit from everyone's experiences. You have only 1 life and 1 body... You don't have enough lives to learn the mistakes yourself. 

1. Never follow closely behind truck or heavy vehicles. - Why? Because they have BIGGER BRAKES and can stop at prob half the distance you can stop. 4 wheels have more stopping power than 2 wheels. Period. 

2. Never ride constantly on painted surfaced on the road during Rain. - Why? Because they are SLIPPERY and if you need to brake you will simply skid on them. Without ABS you'll prob crash immediately with a front wheel lock. 

3. Try not to ride immediately when it starts to rain. - Why? Because when rain starts all the oil stains on the road starts to float up to the surface and that makes the road very slippery. after 15 mins or so those oil would likely flow to the side of the road and it would be safer. If you need to ride..., go slower. 

4. Do not try to speed through water ponding areas. - You're not a boat... going through it at higher speed will induce hydro/aqua planning which makes you skim above the water and you'll just crash... 

5. Do not lean into curves during heavy rain on highways. - Why? Because there are metal gutters strips on the road to drain water away and it stretches through the whole length of the road... you can skid and crash. 

6. Learn to counter steer. It is more effective for emergencies. 

7. Have a safety bubble when you ride. When no one is around you... that's the safest for any riders. 

8. When you encounter a speeding bike from the back. Don't panic, just stay on the path and don't change lanes. They will avoid you easily. If you make sudden motions they will likely crash with you. 

9. When you encounter a speeding car from the back. If you have time, move to the left lanes. If not try to accelerate just keep to your lane first. 

10. When you encounter a speeding truck from the back. Better evade to the left ASAP else try to accelerate and move out... they can just run over you without knowing

Will add more when able ! 

Stay safe and stay cool (mentally) when riding! 

Reasons for the above.

1) Cross wind might either suck you into their back of the truck or throw you off the balance when you try to move to their left or right.. 

2) Painted road is always more smooth with lacquer so that you can see clearly at night with your headlights.. with lacquer = more slipper.. try to do a rear brake on one of the line and you realised it's really slippery.. One more thing.. during raining, use our old method 50% brake infront 70% brake behind.. you need to ride your bike at least 6 months to 12 months to know the brake force.. so..50/70 is the best way.. rear brake lose friction, straight away release brake and throttle.. you will gain back your friction is less then 2seconds.. BUT ONLY do this when you are at the straight road with no vehicle infront.. else maintain your speed or use engine brake to slow down further.. (this is when your following distance DOES matters)...

3) Agreed.. you already have explanation for this.. hahaha..

4) You will crash if you are coming to a curvy road or a vehicle infront.. so when comes to heavy downpour.. maintain 50-70 (based on traffic conditions).. maintain 2 seconds distance.. use engine brake whenever possible..

5) As number 2 and 4.. metal grills. when you go to your carpark during a rain fall.. did you realised the lines and manholes are extremely slippery? (Same concept as per the road but carpark 20km/h and on road is 50-90..) Be careful...

6) Counter Steering is useful n alot of us might be using it unknowingly.. just trust your instinct for seasoned riders.. Non-seasoned riders.. no need to purposely go and learn but you will slowly learn on the road.. 

7) Indeed.. always look out for other road users.. My friend used to taught me this phrase, "anyone on the road is out to ki** you" so take note and be careful of any changes in their vehicle directions intentions.. if can, overtake, if not, slow down and change lane.. if you believe an accident is about to happen.. go to road side and stop for 1-2 mins... 

😎 Can just stay on path or signal your intention early.. usually I give way to JB or bigger bikes if I'm on lane split during peak hours.. you can move to right side of the lane to let them pass.. just signal first.. slow down, check clear.. move.. 

9) Yes.. signal left to prove your intension to change lane for him.. then move whenever you found a safe spot to change lane.. (they could be rushing to hospital or for any other reasons which we dun wan to know) 😂

10) This one 100% wack your throttle to overtake the car infront.. or move to extreme left lane.. 

• Like 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

On 7/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, Siphon said:

😂😂 that’s true. But some situations you don’t need to be speeding to be caught in. 

This is for sharing of your own experiences of those near accidents encounters so our new friends can better anticipate those scenarios and avoid getting into them. 😄

Just to add on a few pointers..

- Ride defensively.. Protect yourself more then others.. since we are riders.. we are closer to the road surface then any car drivers.. 

- Anticipate the vehicles infront if they are going to move straight or move towards the left for exits.. some vehicles might make a last min decision to cut from lane 1/2 to make their exit..  (usually I'll keep a look out for cars left and right front and rear) quite shag.. but this is the life of the motorcyclist.. so either go fast or go slow with the same car around you..

- signal 30 seconds earlier but not 2min earlier.. off your signal once you are in the correct lane.. 

- taxis/grab drivers might just stop infront of you from another lane.. look out for passengers who are looking to flag down a cab

- 2 seconds rules does helps.. do not disregard it.. whether rain or clear skies or night time.. 

- DO NOT attempt to lane split while turning left or right.. follow behind a car or infront a car.. not in-between cars.. if it's a truck.. and you see space.. better 100% full throttle and not stay beside it.. the rear wheels will caught up quicker then you think.

- During lane split.. remember to give way to "faster" motorcycles behind.. (be it respect or safe guarding yourself) You dun wan them to cut you dangerously... 

• Like 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

8 minutes ago, nowonderla said:

Ride like nobody can see you. 

opposite safer.. hahahaha..

😂😂 depending on how it’s read. If you ride thinking no one can see you. Then you will try to be more careful and make yourself “seen” better. 

either ways works as long as you’re safe. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nowonderla said:

Ride like everyone going to kill you

👍 somewhere along the line.. 😂

no choice de.. 

1 hour ago, nowonderla said:

Master counter steering

Indeed that’s an important skill to learn. But mastery is hard to define 😂

Edited by Siphon
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, snooptrader said:

Really useful @Siphon and @adesmond2 . 

Riding on roads seem really harrowing and absolutely nothing can be taken for granted! 

definitely.. taken from another friend of mine..

"We are meatballs on the road.. vs people who are "protected" by tin cans."

23 hours ago, Siphon said:

Indeed that’s an important skill to learn. But mastery is hard to define 😂

Yeah.. different kind of people have diff mastery.. so works differently..

10 hours ago, nowonderla said:

Don’t stay in other vehicle blind spot. 

definitely... another dangerous spot...

• 6 months later...

Watch carefully at where the car starts skidding... Those white Paint on the road are dangerous to both CARS and Bikes. Especially for bikes when you're leaning into the curve. DO NOT GO OVER those white paint when its WET. After a rain, those are WET too. 

Ride safe!

50 minutes ago, Siphon said:

Watch carefully at where the car starts skidding... Those white Paint on the road are dangerous to both CARS and Bikes. Especially for bikes when you're leaning into the curve. DO NOT GO OVER those white paint when its WET. After a rain, those are WET too. 

Ride safe!

if your car/bike start to lose control/wheels has no friction like above.. DO NOT spin or lock your handlebar towards another side.. just remain on the same position.. it should auto go back.. + DO NOT brake.. just release your "gas/throttle" let engine brake take over.. of cuz.. avoid if possible.. rain/after rain.. dun throttle too hard.. You might be in a rush.. but there's a saying.. late is better then never... If it's a biker.. he/she might fall over the railing upon first impact.. No point boosting your ego and get into accident..

Usually I speed up to run away from those tailgaters.. I wonder why tailgate a bike.. we can run.. but driver can't chase up cuz we can lane split.. why tailgate and pressure that biker? (especially when in congested road) how fast can a car go sia) 😂

After I speed up.. found a "clearer" road condition, keep left.. if that bugger still tailgate, then I'll really go above speed limit just to shake him/her off.. cuz I believe my life is at risk liaoz.. (on left lane still tailgate me).. I kanna several times.. I believe they thought I wan to play.. 😅

Also CDC has a Ride Safe Lv 1-3 course that covers defensive riding. Some of the defensive riding tips and skills will be thought there.

Personally I completed the first 2 levels and waiting till I have more XP with large bikes before attending the 3rd one.

Edited by kitsura
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kitsura said:

Also CDC has a Ride Safe Lv 1-3 course that covers defensive riding. Some of the defensive riding tips and skills will be thought there.

Personally I completed the first 2 levels and waiting till I have more XP with large bikes before attending the 3rd one.

what's the pricing like? 

ahh..  found it..

https://www.cdc.com.sg/course/ride-safe-course/

8 hours ago, Siphon said:

ooo interesting. If i found out when i was starting to ride i would have gone for all 3. The subjects sounds good for new riders. 

now also can.. 😛 

On 2/5/2023 at 12:02 AM, Siphon said:

haha... go for fun ah? 

yeah lor.. check if they issue a cert or not.. if yes, got time.. why not? haha.. 

• Haha 1