SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

New HD rider: Advice on m'sia/JB trips and servicing

motobenz

Hi folks,

Been riding a HD Softail for a few years within the confines of Singapore. Recently thinking about riding up north to Hat Yai, dive at Perhentian or just take advantage of prices in m'sia.

Seeking recs on:

General servicing in m'sia, washing and detailing for HD 

Security measures

General tips and feasibility

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've overlooked existing discussions on these. Thank you!

On 8/1/2023 at 10:41 PM, motobenz said:

Hi folks,

Been riding a HD Softail for a few years within the confines of Singapore. Recently thinking about riding up north to Hat Yai, dive at Perhentian or just take advantage of prices in m'sia.

Seeking recs on:

General servicing in m'sia, washing and detailing for HD 

Security measures

General tips and feasibility

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've overlooked existing discussions on these. Thank you!

Hi.. 

Just speaking from my experiences, my POV and upcoming trip Dec preparation.

1) Anything that needs servicing or repairs.. do in Singapore first..  3 months before the trip / 1 month before and 2 days before.. (depending on where you intend to ride to)

2) Service locations for your bike, google map search, save to your google map account.. (cuz I only been searching for Yamaha(s)) so nothing for HD. psps..

3) Washing and detailing to be done when you are back Malaysia (JB) cuz while on the road = 100% dirty.. you will see how dirty the road is when you reach Hatyai... if you wan to clean and ride.. then just search for any bike wash around your hotel.. You DEFINITELY do not wan to travel for bike wash, lazy already.. trust me on that.. haha.. 

4) Security -> canvas/disc lock/battery operated alarm system (lightest) or canvas/heavy chain (chain to somewhere)/battery operated alarm system (most secure) 

5) Rest well.. Prepare your barang barang at least 1 week beforehand.. Those stuff that can be load into your bike.. can load them 2-3 days beforehand.. Test all electrical stuff at least 1 week beforehand.. Don't last min dun have this or that.. you will go into panic mode..

6) Good to have -
a) Fog light/rear blinker - in case you ride into evening timing or night time. 

b) Spare phone (can be use as GPS/Camera/Video as well) - in case current one drop/crack screen and etc

c) Spare specs if you wearing one

d) Spare keys inside your clothing bag or with another rider (heard of rider who drop his key into drain/lost somewhere and cannot find)

e) Personal accident insurance/ important document (blood type/insurance policy number and contact number/ emergency contact number) store at tank bag or anywhere easily accessible.

f) Travel adapter (in case hotel plug is diff)

g) Half of clothing based on your trip.. Some people go with 2 clothes (need to wash every alternate days- about 4-6 hours downtime or next day collection) - very subjective based on your needs/wants.

h) If trip is long, go with booking hotel (download several app in Singapore first) while on the move.. (if you one shot book all, if bike break down or sick, the rest of the hotels behind will need to forfeit or rebook)

i) Tire repair kit (a must) air pump (manual or electric your choice) & jump starter - Seen alot of bikers struck cuz tire burst.. 

If I recall anything I'll add on again.. LOL..

Just curious.. when you intend to ride up? 

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

On 8/6/2023 at 10:32 AM, adesmond2 said:

Hi.. 

Just speaking from my experiences, my POV and upcoming trip Dec preparation.

1) Anything that needs servicing or repairs.. do in Singapore first..  3 months before the trip / 1 month before and 2 days before.. (depending on where you intend to ride to)

2) Service locations for your bike, google map search, save to your google map account.. (cuz I only been searching for Yamaha(s)) so nothing for HD. psps..

3) Washing and detailing to be done when you are back Malaysia (JB) cuz while on the road = 100% dirty.. you will see how dirty the road is when you reach Hatyai... if you wan to clean and ride.. then just search for any bike wash around your hotel.. You DEFINITELY do not wan to travel for bike wash, lazy already.. trust me on that.. haha.. 

4) Security -> canvas/disc lock/battery operated alarm system (lightest) or canvas/heavy chain (chain to somewhere)/battery operated alarm system (most secure) 

5) Rest well.. Prepare your barang barang at least 1 week beforehand.. Those stuff that can be load into your bike.. can load them 2-3 days beforehand.. Test all electrical stuff at least 1 week beforehand.. Don't last min dun have this or that.. you will go into panic mode..

6) Good to have -
a) Fog light/rear blinker - in case you ride into evening timing or night time. 

b) Spare phone (can be use as GPS/Camera/Video as well) - in case current one drop/crack screen and etc

c) Spare specs if you wearing one

d) Spare keys inside your clothing bag or with another rider (heard of rider who drop his key into drain/lost somewhere and cannot find)

e) Personal accident insurance/ important document (blood type/insurance policy number and contact number/ emergency contact number) store at tank bag or anywhere easily accessible.

f) Travel adapter (in case hotel plug is diff)

g) Half of clothing based on your trip.. Some people go with 2 clothes (need to wash every alternate days- about 4-6 hours downtime or next day collection) - very subjective based on your needs/wants.

h) If trip is long, go with booking hotel (download several app in Singapore first) while on the move.. (if you one shot book all, if bike break down or sick, the rest of the hotels behind will need to forfeit or rebook)

i) Tire repair kit (a must) air pump (manual or electric your choice) & jump starter - Seen alot of bikers struck cuz tire burst.. 

If I recall anything I'll add on again.. LOL..

Just curious.. when you intend to ride up? 

Hi Desmond, thanks for the 15 points write up :)

I'm thinking about going coming week already actually! I'm a reasonably experienced rider in various conditions and seasoned 'rough' traveller. If it starts raining I'll probably just wait it out and such. I feel that so long as I avoid accidents and mechanicals, it should all be relatively fuzz free? So crossing fingers. If I run a flat or anything at all really, will probably have to call a tow and deal with that mess. Hence I am seeking out trustworthy shops just in case, maybe take the opportunity to battery change, oil change while there as well. 

To be honest, I'm quite wary about the trip, given how the weather is like, and during all my recent drives up north I encounterd 1hr-long walking speed jams on the NS highway which would be miserable on a bike. But, still I would like to try this experience while I can.

Any thoughts on alternative routes to getting to Hatyai versus NSH all the way up? Heard the western coast might be nice along some parts but looks like speeds are much slower there. I'm also honestly not sure whether I would enjoy riding a Harley around Hatyai haha. If it's anything like KL traffic or even small town m'sia, I think I'd rather park it and Grab.

22 minutes ago, motobenz said:

Hi Desmond, thanks for the 15 points write up :)

I'm thinking about going coming week already actually! I'm a reasonably experienced rider in various conditions and seasoned 'rough' traveller. If it starts raining I'll probably just wait it out and such. I feel that so long as I avoid accidents and mechanicals, it should all be relatively fuzz free? So crossing fingers. If I run a flat or anything at all really, will probably have to call a tow and deal with that mess. Hence I am seeking out trustworthy shops just in case, maybe take the opportunity to battery change, oil change while there as well. 

To be honest, I'm quite wary about the trip, given how the weather is like, and during all my recent drives up north I encounterd 1hr-long walking speed jams on the NS highway which would be miserable on a bike. But, still I would like to try this experience while I can.

Any thoughts on alternative routes to getting to Hatyai versus NSH all the way up? Heard the western coast might be nice along some parts but looks like speeds are much slower there. I'm also honestly not sure whether I would enjoy riding a Harley around Hatyai haha. If it's anything like KL traffic or even small town m'sia, I think I'd rather park it and Grab.

Coming week?! That’s fast decision making.. 🤣

but again.. learn how to repair tires because the tow truck can take up to 3 hours in malaysia and up to 6 hours in thailand.. so it’s not worth the wait.. and the costing.. 

the west or East Coast of malaysia is only enjoyable if u not thinking of thailand.. if thailand.. go straight up.. dun think of malaysia.. 🤣

must learn how to repair tire even more if u intend to go east/West Coast of malaysia.. 🤣🤣

once reach Hatyai.. eat and rest first.. next day grab/tuk tuk anything goes.. following day then ride around Hatyai.. :)

alternate days will be best.. 

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

12 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

Coming week?! That’s fast decision making.. 🤣

but again.. learn how to repair tires because the tow truck can take up to 3 hours in malaysia and up to 6 hours in thailand.. so it’s not worth the wait.. and the costing.. 

the west or East Coast of malaysia is only enjoyable if u not thinking of thailand.. if thailand.. go straight up.. dun think of malaysia.. 🤣

must learn how to repair tire even more if u intend to go east/West Coast of malaysia.. 🤣🤣

once reach Hatyai.. eat and rest first.. next day grab/tuk tuk anything goes.. following day then ride around Hatyai.. :)

alternate days will be best.. 

Yeah, schedule is what it is lor. I hear you on the repairs, but my bike runs on tubes so...

I see I see. In that case, I will probably aim to reach Hatyai in a day's riding and hang around there. I just have a niggling suspicion that going up and down NS highway might be a bit boring lol. Maybe I'll consider an alternative return route.

I don't really want to go much past Hatyai either, because insurance coverage (with theft in mind) is up to 70km from the border. 

11 hours ago, motobenz said:

Yeah, schedule is what it is lor. I hear you on the repairs, but my bike runs on tubes so...

I see I see. In that case, I will probably aim to reach Hatyai in a day's riding and hang around there. I just have a niggling suspicion that going up and down NS highway might be a bit boring lol. Maybe I'll consider an alternative return route.

I don't really want to go much past Hatyai either, because insurance coverage (with theft in mind) is up to 70km from the border. 

Tubes.. that would be hard to learn within a short time.. best to check google maps on where bike shops are located and tow number at diff states..

yes.. upwards will be within bearable lengths as u will be filled with adrenaline.. the mood of touring.. but.. when coming back.. all mood and adrenaline gone.. best to find a “stop over”.. penang/Ipoh/Genting.. choose one poison.. haha.. 

thailand is still ok when comes to theft in mind.. compared to MY.. land of smiles.. haha.. but on the road.. their learning of license and road usage is VERY VERY diff.. read up more on that.. their responsibility of road is only front view of 85degree.. so.. when u are beside them.. no one is “in the fault”.. 

if u are infront of them.. they are in the fault provided you are in their 85degree of view..

but.. if they suddenly swerved into your lane while you are behind them.. sorry.. u are in the wrong.. despite they Nv on signal.. so.. read more into it and absorb it…

lastly.. this Monday is the beginning of your trip? Enjoy it!! Show us some trip photos afterwards or videos.. 😝😝😝

16 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

Tubes.. that would be hard to learn within a short time.. best to check google maps on where bike shops are located and tow number at diff states..

yes.. upwards will be within bearable lengths as u will be filled with adrenaline.. the mood of touring.. but.. when coming back.. all mood and adrenaline gone.. best to find a “stop over”.. penang/Ipoh/Genting.. choose one poison.. haha.. 

thailand is still ok when comes to theft in mind.. compared to MY.. land of smiles.. haha.. but on the road.. their learning of license and road usage is VERY VERY diff.. read up more on that.. their responsibility of road is only front view of 85degree.. so.. when u are beside them.. no one is “in the fault”.. 

if u are infront of them.. they are in the fault provided you are in their 85degree of view..

but.. if they suddenly swerved into your lane while you are behind them.. sorry.. u are in the wrong.. despite they Nv on signal.. so.. read more into it and absorb it…

lastly.. this Monday is the beginning of your trip? Enjoy it!! Show us some trip photos afterwards or videos.. 😝😝😝

Yeah, tubes will be just impossible.. fingers crossed.

Thanks for for the safety advice, I'll ride conservatively. It's been such a while I actually forgot that bikes don't need to pay tolls in m'sia haha!

Yes, will leave as early as I can wake up tmr. Btw, referenced your post +others on documents to cross into Thailand – thanks!! Not sure I'll cover many exciting places for photos though. Really mostly mentally preparing for getting drenched in sweat/rain all the way there haha. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, motobenz said:

Thanks for for the safety advice, I'll ride conservatively. It's been such a while I actually forgot that bikes don't need to pay tolls in m'sia haha!

Yes, will leave as early as I can wake up tmr. Btw, referenced your post +others on documents to cross into Thailand – thanks!! Not sure I'll cover many exciting places for photos though. Really mostly mentally preparing for getting drenched in sweat/rain all the way there haha. 

enjoy! look forward to your photos when you are back.. 😛 

On 8/13/2023 at 5:28 PM, motobenz said:

i was in Hatyai on 10th, 13th and 14th Aug lol. i left on 15th morning to Msia.

i went up with 4 wheels though. i've been there many times as it's a nice place to chill, relax and makan. 

sorry for the late post. Hope it all went well for you. Hatyai is a very chill place with interesting mix of thai, malay and chinese influences. Very different from the typical tourist destinations further north. i often see groups of msian and SG bikes at my Hatyai hotels. On this recent trip i saw a group of GS and a group of HD. All Msian.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:45 PM, motobenz said:

if jam on NSHW, it's very painful for cars but bikes can usually squeeze through via the shoulder or lane split.

are you still in Thai or back already?

alternative routes - don't use Bukit Kayu Hitam crossing. There are other options such as Padang Besar or Durian Burung or even further east to Betong, Sungei Golok or Takbai. That opens up other southbound routes in Msia such as the central spine or the eastern coastal route. Avoiding NSHW sometimes gives the best roads &  scenery, although it would be harder to get support in case of any bike incidents. 

On 8/13/2023 at 5:28 PM, motobenz said:

how's the ride or still enjoying your trip? 😁

On 8/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, adesmond2 said:

enjoy! look forward to your photos when you are back.. 😛 

Thanks guys, I made it there and back!

Left home 7am on a Tuesday and rode up to Hatyai, spent 3 nights there, 1 night in Ipoh and back in Singapore Saturday after dinner.

On the way out, I got stuck at causeway SG side for maybe 20mins? Not too fun on a harley but the sun wasn't out yet. Then took NS highway all the way, stopping every 200km for ice cream breakfast, drinks, gas. No jam passing KL and stopped outside Ipoh around 2pm to change some money, rest and eat an expensive A&W meal in air conditioned comfort (bike parked in view too). Overall still all good here, decent weather, good traffic, some back pain. Averaged about 120-150kph up to the Thai border 7+pm.

At the Thai border, I accidentally went to queue at the car gantries but they closed an eye for me. Queued for the customs import form/process and got that done. All in, less than an hour. Skies started to pour now, waited for it to die down while booking accom in Hatyai. Rode that dark straight road to Hatyai. Hotel room surprisingly spacious, nice secured and sheltered parking lot to leave the bike. Walked out for simple dinner and beer (many restaurants closed already).

Things that struck me about the trip thus far.

1. Preparation for wet weather. As soon as it started to rain, full-face helmet started to fog up despite my earlier 'treatment'. And even with windshield, highbeam/fog lights, had

v low confidence to ride faster than 60kph on that road to Hatyai.

2. Bike reliability/fuel range issues. Had low trust in my fuel meter and even the odometer (long story), resulting deliberate fuel stops around every 200km or so. Spent more time in the petrol stations (and looking for stations) than I care to.

3. Need a better earphone system that doesn't hurt my ears inside the helmet. Download podcasts beforehand to cope with boredom.

4. Realised the Harley Softail doesn't hit 6th gear even at 140kph. But also gotta be careful taking those cloverleafs, because it's easy to keep too much speed, and the bike can't bank much.

5. Views start to get better going north past Ipoh. The traffic got better as well except for hitting Penang around 4+pm, but not too bad if taking the shoulders.

Part 2 to come later.

IMAGE2023-08-28153149.thumb.jpg.16b91803441454a946d60ab3b81760f3.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153334.thumb.jpg.629f92b877d7e7b3c144f59bcbd99dae.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153410.thumb.jpg.83bb22637c9d13c145bfcab2628902b1.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153425.thumb.jpg.52b0db8fcfbe980e5a8fbae7b96f61b4.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153435.thumb.jpg.e45a07b0249ba3493479cb3fb252b43d.jpg

• Like 2

glad you had a good trip. 

i guess you went via Bukit Kayu Hitam on both entry/exit? 

good to take it easy in the rain, especially in the dark on unfamiliar roads. That 50km stretch between Sadao/Dannok and Hatyai is actually quite nice to drive, Just need to watch the train track crossing as one nears HY. A pinlock will help minimize visor fogging.

fully agreed on the better views north of Ipoh. Only downside is the long stretches of red speed strips before/after the tunnel 

Mind sharing which hotel you stayed at in Hatyai? Sounds pretty good.

17 hours ago, motobenz said:

Thanks guys, I made it there and back!

Left home 7am on a Tuesday and rode up to Hatyai, spent 3 nights there, 1 night in Ipoh and back in Singapore Saturday after dinner.

On the way out, I got stuck at causeway SG side for maybe 20mins? Not too fun on a harley but the sun wasn't out yet. Then took NS highway all the way, stopping every 200km for ice cream breakfast, drinks, gas. No jam passing KL and stopped outside Ipoh around 2pm to change some money, rest and eat an expensive A&W meal in air conditioned comfort (bike parked in view too). Overall still all good here, decent weather, good traffic, some back pain. Averaged about 120-150kph up to the Thai border 7+pm.

At the Thai border, I accidentally went to queue at the car gantries but they closed an eye for me. Queued for the customs import form/process and got that done. All in, less than an hour. Skies started to pour now, waited for it to die down while booking accom in Hatyai. Rode that dark straight road to Hatyai. Hotel room surprisingly spacious, nice secured and sheltered parking lot to leave the bike. Walked out for simple dinner and beer (many restaurants closed already).

Things that struck me about the trip thus far.

1. Preparation for wet weather. As soon as it started to rain, full-face helmet started to fog up despite my earlier 'treatment'. And even with windshield, highbeam/fog lights, had

v low confidence to ride faster than 60kph on that road to Hatyai.

2. Bike reliability/fuel range issues. Had low trust in my fuel meter and even the odometer (long story), resulting deliberate fuel stops around every 200km or so. Spent more time in the petrol stations (and looking for stations) than I care to.

3. Need a better earphone system that doesn't hurt my ears inside the helmet. Download podcasts beforehand to cope with boredom.

4. Realised the Harley Softail doesn't hit 6th gear even at 140kph. But also gotta be careful taking those cloverleafs, because it's easy to keep too much speed, and the bike can't bank much.

5. Views start to get better going north past Ipoh. The traffic got better as well except for hitting Penang around 4+pm, but not too bad if taking the shoulders.

Part 2 to come later.

IMAGE2023-08-28153149.thumb.jpg.16b91803441454a946d60ab3b81760f3.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153334.thumb.jpg.629f92b877d7e7b3c144f59bcbd99dae.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153410.thumb.jpg.83bb22637c9d13c145bfcab2628902b1.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153425.thumb.jpg.52b0db8fcfbe980e5a8fbae7b96f61b4.jpgIMAGE2023-08-28153435.thumb.jpg.e45a07b0249ba3493479cb3fb252b43d.jpg

definitely sounds alot of fun!

definitely need pinlock for visor in terms of fog.. but I dun like it during night time due to my degree *reflection irritates me alot...

fog light + normal headlight still not enough for Thailand road? Or due to road condition?

sounds like your bike can really run sia.. 5th gear 140 and above.. 😂

Fuel gage.. hmmmm... I usually will do a detailed pitstop and estimated when and where to stop or start looking for petrol stations.. usually maps will show the petrol station so ok la.. after 200 or 250 need to search liao.. at least 50km spare (just in case)

can consider Cardo entry level - S$120 at Chiong Aik.. (Personally just "upgraded" from Parani.. Never look back)

Looking forward to your part 2.. 😛

On 8/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, shiba2b said:

glad you had a good trip. 

i guess you went via Bukit Kayu Hitam on both entry/exit? 

good to take it easy in the rain, especially in the dark on unfamiliar roads. That 50km stretch between Sadao/Dannok and Hatyai is actually quite nice to drive, Just need to watch the train track crossing as one nears HY. A pinlock will help minimize visor fogging.

fully agreed on the better views north of Ipoh. Only downside is the long stretches of red speed strips before/after the tunnel 

Mind sharing which hotel you stayed at in Hatyai? Sounds pretty good.

Yup, same way in and out as I was trying to cover ground. Indeed that road was much better in the day. I'll try a new pinlock. The old one I had affixed caused a lot of blurriness so I got rid of it. May also need to get rainact for plastic visor. I tried using silicon wax spray that I had onhand but I don't think it worked very well at repelling rain or condensation.

Strangely I don't recall the red speed strips at all? Perhaps because the traffic slows down a bit around there. Actually the main route throughout from SG to Hatyai is arguably as good as SG roads (or better, dare I say).

Stayed at PM Residence, slightly out of the main district, but walkable.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 9:21 AM, adesmond2 said:

definitely sounds alot of fun!

definitely need pinlock for visor in terms of fog.. but I dun like it during night time due to my degree *reflection irritates me alot...

fog light + normal headlight still not enough for Thailand road? Or due to road condition?

sounds like your bike can really run sia.. 5th gear 140 and above.. 😂

Fuel gage.. hmmmm... I usually will do a detailed pitstop and estimated when and where to stop or start looking for petrol stations.. usually maps will show the petrol station so ok la.. after 200 or 250 need to search liao.. at least 50km spare (just in case)

can consider Cardo entry level - S$120 at Chiong Aik.. (Personally just "upgraded" from Parani.. Never look back)

Looking forward to your part 2.. 😛

Rain and poor equipment (helmet visor)! I think I definitely prefer riding in night time traffic/weather otherwise. Not sure how the road conditions between Sadao and Hatyai compare to further up north? 

Yeah I think if move into 6th at *130, no power to accerate. Saves petrol tho I guess.

I'm not so confident about having 50km spare haha. If I miss the reststop, could very well be stuck. Petrol station closed also die. Was actually considering carrying a 5L tin of gas just in case ><

Edited by motobenz
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, motobenz said:

Rain and poor equipment (helmet visor)! I think I definitely prefer riding in night time traffic/weather otherwise. Not sure how the road conditions between Sadao and Hatyai compare to further up north? 

Yeah I think if move into 6th at *130, no power to accerate. Saves petrol tho I guess.

I'm not so confident about having 50km spare haha. If I miss the reststop, could very well be stuck. Petrol station closed also die. Was actually considering carrying a 5L tin of gas just in case ><

50-80km spare is usually a safe gage for Malaysia.. cuz I heard there's petrol station every 50km for NSH.. *that's what I heard.. might need to route out of NSH but still within 50km..

Petrol station closed.. hahaha.. I did encountered once.. but we somehow managed to reach that 50km previously when I left 20-30km.. (another day story) hahahaha...