SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Chain Cleaning - Various ways & methods

Tai

heard from friend that ppl uses kerosene to use their chain, but when i consulted a bike shop(ASPhoon), they say its not recommended as the kerosene may spoil the x-ring within my chain.. may i know how true is this kerosene washing, and wat u guys uses to wash the precious chain..

Make Safe Riding A Practise In Our Everyday Life.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

did u ask AS Phoon what to use then??? if u have read the manual on the did x ring box, they say use turpentine. kerosene and turpentine all can one, been using and doing it for so long and me chains still doesn't spoilt or slack. only adjusted once and been using it for 2 years.

anyway this topic has been discussed in other threads, do a search.

pos·er (pozr) n.

A Sportbike rider who habitually pretends to be something he is not and only care about how they appear to the public as their bikes are nothing more than props to get them noticed by girls or even teenage boys which they want to impress with fictional tales of all the hardcore riding they do.

i using diesel, think just make sure wash away all traces of the diesel/ kerosene/ turpentine after washing. use soap to wash away

1996-1997 : Honda CBX 125

1997-2006 : Honda Project Big 1

2006-2011 : Yamaha Fazer 1

2011-2013:- Harley Davidson XR1200

2013- now: Something BIG..

Kerosene...sure no problem.

But advice coming from AS Poon..pui pui...i have seen first hand how they work... :gun: and what harvoc they did to my friend's bike.... :sian:

But advice coming from AS Poon..pui pui...i have seen first hand how they work... :gun: and what harvoc they did to my friend's bike.... :sian:

What exactly did they do to ur friend bike? there's a new mech there leh.. name ah long.. the way he service not bad leh. honest fellow too.. told me things tat dun need to change when another senior mech say need to..

Make Safe Riding A Practise In Our Everyday Life.

Try not to use kerosene/ petrol to clean unless you mix it with some diesel/oil so that the mixture dose not expand the rings in the chain.

Wash it clean with a toothbrush and shampoo.

Any rubber parts dip in a container of petrol/diesel will expand maybe for just the next 10-15 mins.

I alway wash my bicycle parts and this is wat i discover.

There are some very good product from Pedro's and Goo Gone ( This one i dunno whether singapore have or not)

They are No Fumes, non Toxic, non flammable and non corrosive.

my mech says better dont wash leh. he say not good for O-ring

what are u gonna do if your chains ar think with all those black stuff, ask the mech how to clean?? i've been washing chains using turpentine for ages without any problem.

u'll be surprised at what u'll see after washing the chains with turpentine or kerosene.

pos·er (pozr) n.

A Sportbike rider who habitually pretends to be something he is not and only care about how they appear to the public as their bikes are nothing more than props to get them noticed by girls or even teenage boys which they want to impress with fictional tales of all the hardcore riding they do.

Question

6. How often should my D.I.D X-Ring or O-Ring chain be lubricated?

Answer

Ideally, you should lubricate your chain every 300-400 miles (500-640km).

Question

7. What is the recommended solvent for cleaning my D.I.D X-Ring or O-Ring chain?

Answer

It is recommended that you wash your chain in kerosene. Never use steam, volatile solvents, gasoline, or benzine. After cleaning, you must lubricate your X-Ring or O-Ring chain with D.I.D special chain lube.

answer taken from http://www.didchain.com/question.html

petrol will spoilt the rings :D

pos·er (pozr) n.

If got money and worry about chain, the best solution:

Go and buy a real chain cleaner and use it! (MotorX selling the Motorex one...maybe try try? :D )

:p

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

If got money and worry about chain, the best solution:

Go and buy a real chain cleaner and use it! (MotorX selling the Motorex one...maybe try try? :D )

:p

safest bet :D

pos·er (pozr) n.

must wash chain for what??? :confused:

I only lube regularly...

ur chains are magnets for dust, sand and dirt especially after u lube them. they are probably your chains worst eenemy, they may wear off your chains and rings earlier than expected.

u be surprised at the amount of dirt u can gather when u wash the chains using a brush and some turpentine.

i find my ride is sweeter after i gave them a good brushing.

pos·er (pozr) n.

Guest chrischow

:confused: My preferred way

1. wash with diesel get the dirt and bloody &^^(*^ off

2. wash with soap water thoroughly and rinse with plenty of water to get the diesl off

3. slightly dry liao drip some gear oil into the O-ring whatever and leave to dry overnight

BEST :thumb:

:confused: My preferred way

1. wash with diesel get the dirt and bloody &^^(*^ off

2. wash with soap water thoroughly and rinse with plenty of water to get the diesl off

3. slightly dry liao drip some gear oil into the O-ring whatever and leave to dry overnight

BEST :thumb:

same method as me.. except i using the auto oiler created by a fellow sbf member

1996-1997 : Honda CBX 125

1997-2006 : Honda Project Big 1

2006-2011 : Yamaha Fazer 1

2011-2013:- Harley Davidson XR1200

2013- now: Something BIG..

Agree, if I were you I would have avoided that shop at all cost. I don't know why so many ppl haven't know about the truth about that shop!

I have been in that area for how many 'donkey' years and having dealt with that shop many years before, noticed that their bad business practice never fade away! :D

I'm a little lazy to do it..... but think should give my chain a good wash before switching over to motorex chain lube.....

Errr...1 question. how you guys dispose of the used kerosene har? Same as engine oil is it?

:sweat:

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

anyone knows how to remove the chain lube from the tire eh?

:sweat:

yesterday spray too much.... ganna the side of tire one round patch and a few streaks.... sian... tried to use liquid detergent to wash but cannot wash off leh.. this morning see, the lube is still on the tire.... :sian:

http://mel.idlenetwork.com/scb400.jpg

yr chain lube so powerful ah..

mine normally can be wash by detergent leh..

not sure how to remove from tire..but to remove from chain ...use kerosene or diesel..but not reallie good to use it on tire unless u give it a good clean after using the solvent...

--==anything more than a handful is waste==--

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/89/36/3386398/2918831032400l.jpg

i wanna wash my chain too... cause last time using the blue wax make until my gold did chain so ugly!!!! now using blue label one leh...this one transparent... but difficult to wash...

btw, ah keong from HKL told me that if use kerosene or diesel to wash the chain, the chain will swell... no good for the chain... what are your views on this?

http://mel.idlenetwork.com/scb400.jpg