SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Chain Cleaning - Various ways & methods

Tai

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by wheelz22@Jul 19 2005, 07:23 PM

Can use tinner or turpentine?:confused:

Thinner i dun think so... will spoit ur tyre.. coz its quite reactive..

Use kerosense la.. cheap and good..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/king_ziege/Biker%20gers/board_headerEdited.jpg

Originally posted by wheelz22@Jul 19 2005, 07:23 PM

Can use tinner or turpentine?:confused:

Absolutely not, you'll be looking at a new chain soon if yours is an O ring chain. The lesser of evils is kerosense, but even that can harm the chain if done frequently or soak for very long. Yamaha tech manual even specifically states not to soak in kerosense for more than 10minutes.

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 19 2005, 05:42 PM

Finally done!! One hr just on the chain and spocket!!

:cheer:

Used one cloth and one toothbrush.. Cloth gt to throw but brush still can use again.. 500ml of kerosense used also.. total spend $1 for the 500ml kerosense, brush and cloth is free.. gt it from camp..

Nice work, now use a clean lube and keep it that way with min work, you don't want to kerosense your chain too often. Seeing your gold sprocket just reminded me of a friend. I never knew he had a gold chain and a shiny rear sprocket all along until recently when he cleaned out what must be at least a year of gunk :lol:

Originally posted by ANR Impex@Jul 19 2005, 07:46 PM

Nice work, now use a clean lube and keep it that way with min work, you don't want to kerosense your chain too often. Seeing your gold sprocket just reminded me of a friend. I never knew he had a gold chain and a shiny rear sprocket all along until recently when he cleaned out what must be at least a year of gunk :lol:

Hahaha... Mine also..

Its gold when i just gt it... then slowly beocme blavk liao.. till recently saw those new spocket at Motorworld.. then make mi more determine to clean it.. hahaha...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/king_ziege/Biker%20gers/board_headerEdited.jpg

Guest simone

Hi i tried the GT85 and use it together with kerosene to clean my chain

1. remove the front sprocket cover and the chain guard

2. Use kerosene and put it in a spray bottle (those used for watering plants) and spray it generously over ya chain.

3 Use also the GT85 and spray it on ya chain.

4. Sit back and wait for 5 mins.

5 Use newspaper and wipe the grime off the chain.

6 Use more kerosene and GT85 and wipe more stuff off the chain.

7. Use washing liquid and wash off the excess kerosene and GT85

8. Use plenty of water to flush off anything

9. Take the bike for a spin to warm and dry the chain.

10 Use an old rag to wipe off any excess water or kerosene

11. Lube the chain. Now m trying maxima Chain Spray works great man!

12. Don't use kerosene on ya wheel it stripes off the paint work just spray some GT85 on da cloth and wala!

Its been 2 weeks since i tried this product and the chain lube is great m using GOLD X-RING and till now my chain is still gold in colour and i lube my chain after every 4 days.

The GT85 is kinda expensive to use it just to clean my chain therefore i still use kerosene for the bulk of the cleaning. However i noticed that after i using kerosene to clean some of the plastic areas which come into contact with the chain grime the plastics gets discoloured after time esp the chain guard and the foot pegs and the rims. I'm using the gt85 to clean these areas now. beside cleaning old grease and grime i use it to lube my throttle cable and clutch cable. and any moving parts since its been raining like hell this past weeks. Its a water replent and best of all unlike other lubricants it doesnt leave any stains its colourless.

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 19 2005, 07:48 PM

Hahaha... Mine also..

Its gold when i just gt it... then slowly beocme blavk liao.. till recently saw those new spocket at Motorworld.. then make mi more determine to clean it.. hahaha...

frequent maintainance will keep ur chain like new :thumb: the next time u wash will be even faster & easier but dun wait like more than 3-6mths later then clean :giddy:

Originally posted by Turbo08@Jul 19 2005, 08:09 PM

frequent maintainance will keep ur chain like new :thumb: the next time u wash will be even faster & easier but dun wait like more than 3-6mths later then clean :giddy:

I make it ard 1.5mths must wash once.. coz i wanna kip my gold spocket gold and wanna maintain the chain.. coz its ex to mI!

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 19 2005, 08:18 PM

I make it ard 1.5mths must wash once.. coz i wanna kip my gold spocket gold and wanna maintain the chain.. coz its ex to mI!

not only wash but must regularly lube ur chain well if not it might stretched easily. Before i installed the scottoiler, i need to tighten my chain often even i lube often & after installing... Its been quite awhile since i last tighten because my chain's well "wet" :sweat:

Originally posted by simone@Jul 19 2005, 08:09 PM

Hi i tried the GT85 and use it together with kerosene to clean my chain

1. remove the front sprocket cover and the chain guard

2. Use kerosene and put it in a spray bottle (those used for watering plants) and spray it generously over ya chain.

3 Use also the GT85 and spray it on ya chain.

4. Sit back and wait for 5 mins.

5 Use newspaper and wipe the grime off the chain.

6 Use more kerosene and GT85 and wipe more stuff off the chain.

7. Use washing liquid and wash off the excess kerosene and GT85

8. Use plenty of water to flush off anything

9. Take the bike for a spin to warm and dry the chain.

10 Use an old rag to wipe off any excess water or kerosene

11. Lube the chain. Now m trying maxima Chain Spray works great man!

12. Don't use kerosene on ya wheel it stripes off the paint work just spray some GT85 on da cloth and wala!

Its been 2 weeks since i tried this product and the chain lube is great m using GOLD X-RING and till now my chain is still gold in colour and i lube my chain after every 4 days.

The GT85 is kinda expensive to use it just to clean my chain therefore i still use kerosene for the bulk of the cleaning. However i noticed that after i using kerosene to clean some of the plastic areas which come into contact with the chain grime the plastics gets discoloured after time esp the chain guard and the foot pegs and the rims. I'm using the gt85 to clean these areas now. beside cleaning old grease and grime i use it to lube my throttle cable and clutch cable. and any moving parts since its been raining like hell this past weeks. Its a water replent and best of all unlike other lubricants it doesnt leave any stains its colourless.

simone, you nicely summed up what GT85 is great at, thanks! It also works very well as an electrical contact cleaner/water displacer/lube. The weather's getting wet, my signal switch got a bit haywire, gave it a squirt, all is well and stays well. Another tip on GT85 for cleaning is to spray on rag/paper towel, then WIPE, you will find that it works much better than with newspaper. This maximises the effectiveness of this product, spray on grime direct to blast away the dirt is wasteful!

Originally posted by bktan@Jul 22 2005, 08:46 AM

mm cannot use kerosene to wipe wheel? that's what i always use or else how to remove those chain wax fly offs?

(besides buying the $12 gt85)

Paying peanuts often gets u monkeys :sweat: Using the appropriate tools for the job may seem expensive in the short term, but in the long run saves u time, effort, money and alot of grief (from avoided cockups)

http://picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11161/yamaha.jpg<span style=\'font-family:impact\'>I go 60 nia

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/photo-1478.jpg

For Sale: Arai Gunmetal gray side cover for RR4, right side (Still in packaging)

Originally posted by bktan@Jul 22 2005, 11:55 PM

so no alternative besides GT85?

Well, although I do use the stuff personally and like it very much, I strongly believe in experimentation and there is always an alternative if you care to spend time to experiment, many solvents will take grease (and even paint) off your rims with varying effectiveness, test at a small corner where it is not obvious first. The trade off is, of course, time, effort, money and alot of grief (if it screws up) :goodluck: I've had my fair share of screw ups, that sinking feeling when something has gone wrong is not a nice one :D

http://picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11161/yamaha.jpg<span style=\'font-family:impact\'>I go 60 nia

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/photo-1478.jpg

For Sale: Arai Gunmetal gray side cover for RR4, right side (Still in packaging)

tis is wat i get from using kerosene to clean rim & chain... i find it works well & a cheaper alternative compared to other cleaners.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/Turbo08/DSC02825.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/Turbo08/DSC02826.jpg

Originally posted by Turbo08@Jul 27 2005, 11:36 AM

tis is wat i get from using kerosene to clean rim & chain... i find it works well & a cheaper alternative compared to other cleaners.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/Turbo08/DSC02826.jpg

looks like your chain is tighten to the max already... about time to change new chain... but still looks brand new! :thumb:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7720/dsc00157a.jpg

All Must Work Hard!

kekeke :cheeky: thanks for ur comments.... i luv it myself too :lovestruck:

its actually a v simple job, u just need a small tray fill wif some kerosene, a cloth, a toothbrush & a pail of water (optional: soap to get rid of the smell)

1. Rinse ur bike wif clean water

2. Soak the cloth wif kerosene & wipe the whole rim & chain. (take note !! do not soak the cloth too wet, abit damp is enough if not u will make the floor slippery)

3. Use brush to scrub stubborn stains or hard to reach areas. (old toothbrush is gd enough)

4. Either use clean water to wash off the kerosene or wash wif soap. Then use cloth to wipe clean.

** if u hav car jack to jack up ur bike, cleaning the chain & rear wheel will be much easier.

Originally posted by kennethy@Jul 27 2005, 03:18 PM

looks like your chain is tighten to the max already... about time to change new chain... but still looks brand new! :thumb:

Anyway tis chain use almost a yr already for 35k km. Still hav 1 1/2 space to tighten... Haven tighten it for almost 3-4 months thanks to scottoiler. Tighten it only once after i started using scottoiler, tis product is indeed :thumb:

Hi all,

Today me use kerosene to clean the chain n spocket n the rim till very clean

But when i ride out n come back, the rim become abit dirty again....

Anyway to prevent this?

Honda NSR150 SP : Feb 04 - Feb 05

Honda CB400 Spec II : Jun 05 - Jan 08

Nissan Latio : Feb 08 - ???

I try using kerosene to clean my chain last sunday.. very gd and clean.. but use alot of time to clean cos i it the hard way, no jack & no 1 else to help. so clean abit, push abit, then clean abit, push abit...:giddy: Next day, muscle-ache...like went workout. Then suay suay rain for 2 consecutive day then bike dirty again :mad:

But 1 2 ask if the kerosene will harm the paintwork on rim?I use WD40 the clean the rim instead.. :confused: