SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Chain Cleaning - Various ways & methods

Tai

i tried quite alot of products in cleaning my chain, from wd40, motul chain cleaner, soap to degreaser but kerosene is still 1 of the best "cleaners". Y i say tat, its because kerosene is cheap, easy to apply & wash off although it will leave a smell but tat can be countered by washing off wif soap or u can spray perfume. :cheeky:

job can be done v quickly wif a cloth(can help prevent a mess) & a brush(for hard to clean area) . oso can clean rims or hard to remove stains wif the cloth slightly wet wif kerosene & it comes of wif ease. dun worry abt the kerosene staining ur tyres as it can be easily washed off.

regarding the damage to the x or o ring, i hav been using the x-ring chain being cleaned by kerosene for 30,000km+(clean every 1-3wks) & still performing well. most important is to keep ur chain well lubed(best if use clear contents) & it will look like new & shiny :thumb:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Turbo08@Jul 4 2005, 12:23 AM

i tried quite alot of products in cleaning my chain, from wd40, motul chain cleaner, soap to degreaser but kerosene is still 1 of the best "cleaners". Y i say tat, its because kerosene is cheap, easy to apply & wash off although it will leave a smell but tat can be countered by washing off wif soap or u can spray perfume. :cheeky:

job can be done v quickly wif a cloth(can help prevent a mess) & a brush(for hard to clean area) . oso can clean rims or hard to remove stains wif the cloth slightly wet wif kerosene & it comes of wif ease. dun worry abt the kerosene staining ur tyres as it can be easily washed off.

regarding the damage to the x or o ring, i hav been using the x-ring chain being cleaned by kerosene for 30,000km+(clean every 1-3wks) & still performing well. most important is to keep ur chain well lubed(best if use clear contents) & it will look like new & shiny :thumb:

I realli nid alot of courage to clean my chain... its damn too dirty liao... hahaha...

Even prepare surgoen glove liao.. coz its gonna be a bad time cleaning up... hahaha... miss the day when i just gt my bike... hahha... onli 2mths and its so dirty liao.. hahaha

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/king_ziege/Biker%20gers/board_headerEdited.jpg

me use petrol to wash actuali not so sure whether it's doing more harm or not but so far 8mths liao no problem leh chain is as new and good (usualli 1 hr job) but cos i chg spocket so bo bian have to change entire set with chain. u just need to use a bit mayb 50-100ml pour into a glass then dip and brush the chain then use a cloth to wipe it dry just that hand will be a bit dirty but u can clean off with petrol too. afterthat just air dry 20min or so apply your usual lubrication. i used to use PJ which is good spray liao the colour transparent plus it will become a bit greasy sticky so will stay on the chain but it also attracts more dirt :cheeky but now use rabbit oiler liao so no need so much maintainance.

as for the rim if kana the oil, just wet a potion of the cloth with petrol then quickly wipe off quickly. my rim is silver but since you wouldn't want to risk damaging the rim paintwork suggest you try on a small not so obvious area 1st see whether the paint will come off or not else shld be ok to do it this way bah.

Guest NPNT

i agree wif Turbo08. i juz cleaned my chain 2days ago using kerosene. work wonders. i got back the gold look.. wic has disappeared for months coz i didnt bother to clean my chain everytime i wash my bike. anyway, i believe the noise generated after cleaning chain is significantly lesser than b4.

anyway, i use Holts chain lube.. instead of wax, in order not to "colour" my chain.

For all information..

Wax vs Lube..

Wax stay on chain longer as its more sticky but lube sip into the pin of the chain beta!

Wax will stick dirt and sand on it but lube just fling the dirt away

Lube must lub the chain more times then compare to waz gt its more watery

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/king_ziege/Biker%20gers/board_headerEdited.jpg

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 4 2005, 12:37 AM

I realli nid alot of courage to clean my chain... its damn too dirty liao... hahaha...

Even prepare surgoen glove liao.. coz its gonna be a bad time cleaning up... hahaha... miss the day when i just gt my bike... hahha... onli 2mths and its so dirty liao.. hahaha

haha, i supposed u never try using kerosene to clean stuff b4... once u start using, u will be too dependant on kerosene to change other products. its too easy to use kerosene & u will become lazy. a simple scrub & u will :lovestruck: try it to believe. :thumb: the first time cleaning will be difficult but subsequent cleaning will be a brisk :cheer:

my experience is that diesal is great too! and it is more easy on your o-ring as compared to petrol.

as for the rims, you can try using those tyre foams. just spray on and watch the dirty fall off. but one danger is that if it gets on your tyre threads it can be slippery. but for me, I have the habit of rinsing my tyre threads too so it is really alright...

hope it helps... :)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7720/dsc00157a.jpg

All Must Work Hard!

Guest quizesilver

what i noe is dun use WD-40

diesel u need to dilute with water dun juz use it directly

for kerosene is okie to use it jus it is.

anyway from some chain web site. it is recommended to use kerosene.

do a search under the phantom thread.

i am using scott oiler now. i dun even use any of those.

i would use a jack up the bike, then use a hose to wack the chain and roll it.

same effect. once a mth then use brush with water.

fast also.

those scott oiler user can give it a try.

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 4 2005, 12:49 AM

For all information..

Wax vs Lube..

Wax stay on chain longer as its more sticky but lube sip into the pin of the chain beta!

Wax will stick dirt and sand on it but lube just fling the dirt away

Lube must lub the chain more times then compare to waz gt its more watery

James, I'm afraid this is all very untrue. Each chain wax and lube has it's own properties and this is not even very accurate as a generalisation.

This is a sample of how clean my chain typically runs with Maxima Chainwax, and I'm a lazy bum who do not wash bike frequently (look carefully, you'll see the obvious clues!)

For more info, see

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/index....0entry1948587 http://picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11699/normal_P1000628.JPG

Originally posted by ANR Impex@Jul 4 2005, 03:09 PM

James, I'm afraid this is all very untrue. Each chain wax and lube has it's own properties and this is not even very accurate as a generalisation.

This is a sample of how clean my chain typically runs with Maxima Chainwax, and I'm a lazy bum who do not wash bike frequently (look carefully, you'll see the obvious clues!)

For more info, see

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/index....0entry1948587 http://picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11699/normal_P1000628.JPG

Wah Piangz!!! Ur chain so clean!

Originally posted by enHANZed@Jul 4 2005, 05:02 PM

looks like a very dry chain to me ...use motul chain cleaner can get the same effect also

I get that alot, but touch it and you will know the lube is there. It changes the whole idea of 'chain lube', many 1st time users used to the concept of a dirty chain lube will think it is a dry chain. Well, ride it and you'll know the difference. Why do you think Maxima Chain Wax is the best selling chain lube in USA? :smile:

And finally, I say again, this is not a degreased chain, how can you compare to motul chain cleaner? It is a chain, seldom if ever 'degreased', using Maxima ChainWax on a bike ridden daily, occasionally wiped down with GT85.

Originally posted by kennethy@Jul 4 2005, 06:40 PM

clean on the chain but...

the rim... :sweat:

Yah, I don't clean my rims much, but that's all dust only if u look carefully, no splotches of chainlube like on conventional lube, or worse, engine oil! Like I said, I just took a pic of my bike as it is, I did not put up a show by cleaning my bike till I can see my teeth in the reflection before taking the pic.

Originally posted by ANR Impex@Jul 4 2005, 06:42 PM

I get that alot, but touch it and you will know the lube is there. It changes the whole idea of 'chain lube', many 1st time users used to the concept of a dirty chain lube will think it is a dry chain. Well, ride it and you'll know the difference. Why do you think Maxima Chain Wax is the best selling chain lube in USA? :smile:

And finally, I say again, this is not a degreased chain, how can you compare to motul chain cleaner? It is a chain, seldom if ever 'degreased', using Maxima ChainWax on a bike ridden daily, occasionally wiped down with GT85.

Hi Impex,

Yr chain certainly looks great. Juz to confirm u used Maxima's chain wax n not the chain lube right?

And how do u use gt85 to wipe down the chain? Specifically which portions of it?

Last, where can i get these 2 products? Thanks for info n help! :cheeky: :smile:

Impex, Can i ask also...

My chain is all black n greasy now.

Should i wash it down with kerosene 1st then apply maxima chain wax?

Or Should i use gt85 to clean up the chain then coat with maxima chain wax?

If i use 2nd option, will the PTFE film left behind by gt85 interfere or nullify the effect of the chain wax which is subsequently applied?

Will gt85 have any harmful effects on my gold rims or tyres if i want to use it to remove grease? :confused:

1. Yes, Chain Wax

2. With the chain wax, you will eventually get some migration of the wax from the heat and high centrifugal forces. It will accumulate on the outside edge of the links, waiting to eventually fling off once enough mass is gathered, no such thing as 100% no fling. I only bother to wipe the outer edge of the links, and occasionally the side plates. I don't even need to saturate the chain with GT85, as Maxima ChainWax does not accumulate and gunk up badly like conventional chain wax.

3. Where to get? Look at my retailers list link in my signature.

4. Black and greasy? Depends, GT85 should remove the toughest gunk, but it is non detergent, normally a good thing because it won't strip your seals of oil totally but flushing with water does little good. A strong detergent based degreaser will help because you can use water to flush away the hydrolysed oil, but that can be bad for metals and seals if done too often, strips away the protective oil.

5. Been using the GT85 method for sometime, I really see no interference with the chain wax. The chainwax itself is solvent dissolved, hence it spreads out and adheres really well to the steel surface when still dissolved, regardless of GT85 residue. The teflon film of GT85 repels semi-solid splatter.

6. No effect on gold rims, does not strip paint in my 10yrs of experience using this stuff. Definately DO NOT get any lube products on the grippy side of your tyres. It's ok on the sidewalls.

Interesting topic :)

I am using simple oiler to lube my chain periodically, using left over engine oil (Repsol 4T for now) to lube... flicks alot naturally.. sometimes i mix with scott oil.. scott oil doesn't flick as much, but still does

when i wash.. i use engine degreaser (big bottle from ah boy cost 5 bucks.. those cheap ones) works wonder too hehe :)

Memories Fade, Photographs Shouldn't

Travelling along steadfastly - at my own pace, my own pleasure : A Shadow is all I need

Originally posted by Swakoo@Jul 5 2005, 03:35 PM

Interesting topic :)

I am using simple oiler to lube my chain periodically, using left over engine oil (Repsol 4T for now) to lube... flicks alot naturally.. sometimes i mix with scott oil.. scott oil doesn't flick as much, but still does

when i wash.. i use engine degreaser (big bottle from ah boy cost 5 bucks.. those cheap ones) works wonder too hehe :)

If u mean the Penray ones with gold foil label, yes they do work very well. All my riding buddies were using those, 1 can per wash. All happily using until someone discovered their black colour rims started fading and can see the speckles of bare metal start to show.

I still love that product, but keep it for non-painted surfaces only, works very well to get rid of the gunk accumulated on the front sprocket cover :thumb: I dun like getting something as harsh as engine degreaser everywhere on my tyres and possibly into my rear wheel bearings or shock linkage bearings. It just takes a bit to penetrate to wreck them prematurely. Not condeming the product, just highlighting such powerful chemicals need proper application care, especially if you're not the type who bother to regrease everything periodically.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done!! One hr just on the chain and spocket!!

:cheer:

Used one cloth and one toothbrush.. Cloth gt to throw but brush still can use again.. 500ml of kerosense used also.. total spend $1 for the 500ml kerosense, brush and cloth is free.. gt it from camp..

Originally posted by Ah James@Jul 19 2005, 05:42 PM

Finally done!! One hr just on the chain and spocket!!

:cheer:

Used one cloth and one toothbrush.. Cloth gt to throw but brush still can use again.. 500ml of kerosense used also.. total spend $1 for the 500ml kerosense, brush and cloth is free.. gt it from camp..

wah lan!!! james bo jio again. I nua at home whole day liao...

ヨシ*ラジャパン

Ride Safely as Always, my friends.