SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

My 2b Learning Experience in CDC 2015

Enrolled in CDC in March 2015

Failed Lesson 5 (5 times and give up CDC...going SSDC for Pract lesson)

Enrolled in SSDC in April 2015

PASSED RTT on 30 May 2015 at CDC...

Passed TP today 24 August 2015 at SSDC

I had start this new thread so that I don't chalk up my useless ranting in the main thread of CDC.

I start this thread to share my experiences.

A little about me!

Had always wanted to get a 2b licence since school days but seriously lack of monetary support makes it hard.

No doubt I can work part time and then try to go for lessons but the money I earn can hardly sustain the plan....

Luckily my dad is ok to sponsor my class 3.. Passed class 3 but then no heart to go for class 2b because no discipline to

handle school and go cdc lesson like many had done.

Now married and with kids, suddenly I have this urge to go for class 2b. However I think if you are those youngster 18 to 21 years old, do kindly tell and seek permission from your parents before enrolment. Even now at my age, my dad actually forbid me to enroll class 2b, and then only until 1 or 2 months, he said if I pass, he don't allow me to buy a bike (but till I pass that is another problem then) What I mean, is get the support of your parents..

Reasons for my enrolment, Maybe COE prices are high for cars, maybe I want an extra sticker on my license. So I decided to enrolled to CDC in March 2015 as firstly it is near to my home.

Enrolled on one Sunday, and gosh many people. Customer services served me with a take it or leave it altitude...But well I doubt I will be seeing them other than enrolment. For those with class 3 licence, you will not need to take the basic theory lessons. After enrolled, the first thing I decided to is to clear my compulsory theory lessons first. The theory lessons in CDC were offered only in evening. Went online to book and next theory lessons are only available 2 or 3 weeks later.... Even my Orientation lesson 0 slots only available 2 weeks later...:angry: I spent about 3 or 4 nights to complete my theory lessons... If you want fast completion of theory lessons, SSDC will be better and more theory slots without booking.

My next earliest orientation slot was on a Sunday. I will suggest you to take an orientation slot on a weekday timing ending not later than 5pm so that after the orientation you can straightaway apply for your PDL if you have passed Basic theory test earlier on or have a class 3 licence. I learnt the hard way as I thought I come back apply PDL and on the spot see got lesson 1 and go for it but my next available lesson 1 is like 2 to 3 weeks away.... The lessons in CDC are almost fully booked 1 or 2 weeks in advance. I am working flexible but my original plan was only to take lessons on Sunday but then the lessons are only offered at selected time slots...I started to surf internet and found this forum. Valuable tips given by fellow riders had let me learnt the trick to book 2 to 3 lessons at one time. Also remember to log in CDC everyday to check as sometimes there are people who cancelled their lessons, or new earlier lessons slots being released. Remember to book them 48 hours away for each lessons so if you pass the 1st lesson, you can cancel the next one with your 18 counts of cancellation free by CDC.

CDC do not provide helmets and guards. They however do provide rental for them in case you forgot to bring or something but at a fee of I think S$5 dollars or something. But I could imagine how stinky it is, so go buy one helmet and safety gears.

I will recommend to order from Helmetboys from woodlands as they got a package or something.

Edited by simeone82
Update Learning Process

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDC sure sound damn lousy sia...

chose CDC because it is very near my home and workplace...There are so many things to complain about CDC but well hope to pass my 2b soon.

unfriendly customer service counter, always crowded toilet...and bad condition bikes even though quite new...Instructor would say not bike problem is rider problem blah blah...

ORIENTATION AND LESSON 1

As per my first post. If you have class 3 or pass you basic theory test already, do go for a weekday before 5pm end slots for orientation so that you can apply for your PDL after lesson. I will suggest you to wear jeans and covered shoes to go orientation because you may get to try to mount a bike and change gear from there on main stand. Instructor will talk about the helmet must have psb sticker and no full face etc and must wear safety gears before lesson. if instructor ok, you get to touch and see and sit on bike to play around if not, you will just walk around the circuit.

LESSON 1

Instructor will asked 1st timer no experience in bike to be on one group and repeat lesson another group. 1st timer including me will be asked to go bang tyre. Using old bike dark purple, feel biting point and bang tyre and then pedal back with both legs...Once you are ok, next will go to do the mini circuit in gear 1 and then up to gear 2. If move around ok and brake ok, you will proceed out side main circuit to change up to 5th gear. I manage to join the outside group but i dint manage to get the proper instruction to down gear. Finish go back, will do a mini fig 8 and i can't make it. next i was told in counter to repeat my lesson 1. I was like what, i failed because of the mini fig 8? nothing was told to my mistake and i booked my 2nd lesson 1.

Went lesson 1 2nd time and this time i was gone outside circuit straight and instructor told us the procedure to down gear from 5th to 3rd gear. after that again my mini 8 i can't make it. Forgot to mention, i keep going to neutral despite kick up hard so i thought why not kick up straight from 1st gear 2 times to engage 2nd gear. It seems to work for straight road and turn but cornering i keep stalling. Stall because at 3rd gear cornering sure stall.. Really is trying to act smart...Lucky for me despite doing badly for mini 8 i pass that lesson and go lesson 2! But this will haunt me later onwards in lesson 3...

CDC requires students to have PDL for circuit lessons? SSDC only requires students to posses PDL before road lessens.

YES! CDC requires students to have PDL even for circuit lessons... SSDC can at least take till lesson before go out on the road...

LESSON 2

If you need tips or diagram on the circuit and where to check, please do check out Rijac's Posts in CDC main forum thread. His tips and where to check had helped me to save time in some lesson clearing 1.

This lesson is teaching us the lane discipline, blindspot signal etc. and where to inch out. It is really funny that theory state inch out is dangerous but due to the design of the circuit with a blind wall, you are allow to. We were sat in the training shed for briefing for about 10 to 15mins on form up, few rounds to do left and few rounds do right. Try to learn and absorb as much in this lesson as this will be used for the rest of your pract lessons... After that I was surprised that I pass this lesson at 1 time but I guess my driving experience do helps.

As I am unable to cancel my 2nd lesson 2 due to less than 48 hours. I decided to attend so as to chalk up my experience.. The instructor, Kelvin Yip taking us was so dammn impatient and arrogant... (posted in CDC main thread also) The whole lesson was like shouting and screaming. I kenna one incident where he walk up to me and ask, you stop on the stop line or before stop line. I replied I think I stop before stop line and he walked away. After lesson, whole class fails.. Instructor remarked he do have to ability to fail me and ask me to repeat my lesson 2 despite I passed the previous time....but well nevertheless he still asked me to go lesson 3. but prior to an incident at counter earlier on where he said is my mistake hearing wrongly, I had an argument with him and I filed an official complaint to CDC and the CDC CEO. I am trying to keep my cool normally, but well when things happen, it just happen. So I will suggest if you kenna the same like me keep your cool.. It did helped that he seems to talk more politely to me in my future lessons but well he failed me in my lesson 5 which I will share with you all in later posts...

LESSON 3

This lesson I think is my weakest subject among all.

I took a total of 6 times to clear this because of the Fig 8. Not doing well in lesson 1 mini 8 had finally come back to haunt me at fig 8...

We were asked to go through slope without stopping for I think 2 or 3 rounds. And then later on for fig 8 and crank to go through without stopping for 2 or 3 rounds too for warm up.

My 1st instructor never really taught us technique and how to do them. He practically just let us trial and error. At slope I tends to criss cross over to other lane as it was clear but don't do that! Somehow I keep dying on slope, can't accelerate and go up slope smoothly. Then few rounds try it already time for fig 8 and crank. I fall about 2 times at crank. And fig 8 slow speed until laughable..Instructor keep saying push handlebar down but I just can't do it. So needless to say fail the lesson.

My number 2 to 5 times lesson 3 instructors were slight better, they taught us the proper technique to get the biting point for slope and where to look at the cone in fig 8 etc... So seriously this boils down to whether the instructor got teach you properly with the technique. There was one time where my timing I got 12 or 13 seconds, I tried to throttle harder and end up mounting kerb and go to crank course,... Look completely like an idiot!!Gotten a chop for slope but failed fig 8. After failing 5 times for lesson 3. I stopped learning for 2 to 3 weeks...Really demoralize and I never heard people fail that many times..

Finally past 2 to 3 weeks, I booked and went for my lesson 3. As usual everything ok with Slope, time for fig 8 amd crank. I was surprised instructor said ok for my timing. Crank course was also a breeze to go in without neutral to disturb. And then when lesson ends, finally I was handed back with a chop on the fig 8 and crank and lesson 5 was completed. So I think sometimes is good to stop lesson for a while if keep failing the particular lesson.

LESSON 4

After been hold up by fig 8 for super long time, finally I get to go lesson 4 to narrow plank, slalom and e-brake.

I was late for my this lesson as I am working...Rush down and luckily my class is still at the bike nursery area. When I told instructor I first time, he looks sian because I just realized I am the only first timer there...Luckily for me and again thanks to Rijac tips earlier on in CDC thread, I roughly know must grip tank, look far or look halfway depends on plank. Slalom must up gear to 2nd and just steer through while looking at front And if you look at the cone, well you will go to the cone..One annoying thing is after that must ride one big round back to queue up. For some reasons, many cars like to stop infront to block you.. so check blind spot and lane change...

Next is E-brake. I heard stories where don't speed too fast or someone falls from e-brake and injured... Well I think most importantly is not to squeeze your front brake and jam up. like many tips given, I will accelerate hard on 1st and 2nd gear and by the time I change to 3rd is already 30km/h and maintain. Reaching the first line, close throttle, straighten elbow and brake! wow despite floor is wet I am ok to brake in time. The instructor is also not picky on my technique as I forgot to check left before put left leg up, he will oei oei where your the other step lol. During the so call assessment round, my instructor dammn playful, everything done with my e-brake, he shouted at me... I looked at him to see if I done wrong anything or something. He said relax leh smile abit why so black face.. I laughed and then proceed to go out.. And lesson 4 cleared!

LESSON 5....

Am currently at the lesson and today failed the 4th times...

1st time I did not expect to fail minus the right leg down after stopping before crank course to change gear which got me 4 points.

But that instructor kelvin yip give me 4 points for exceeding timing in shalom and then 4+4 points for change lane abruptly and wobble when change lane... Ok fine I take it my skill not good so go 2nd time.

2nd time

Despite raining and wet floor, Instructor this time say my e-brake incorrect posture... and best thing not enough side clearance given to other road user at after crank course which costs me 8 points... seriously I did not expect to fail this time but well things happen so never mind go again 3rd time...

3rd time

Am very angry with myself.... I mistaken a rider beside me to do the same course as me,,,, but on revision... I went off course and got an immediate failure.....I thought my points should not be much but I am wrong... kenna 11s for fig 8 which I was like what.???Wobble costs me 6 points total, and best fail to signal or give wrong signal 4 points.. But well I guess since immediate failure so they just give more points to let me happy and off I go 4th time...

4th time

Just taken today and I failed...Chose a bike steering which is out to right but not an issue.. I got an immediate failure outside becos when I wan to turn right, left biker also want to turn and I e-brake and right foot come down fail..(well both of us got fault for not communicating) Ok never mind I proceed to do as per normal.. The circuit already is so norm to me like where to check already blah blah.. But well I still got like 18 points + the above immediate failure. Even the instructor who took me ask eh why I fail... He check my list and say ok the immediate failure but I was like asking how come I got so much points... I got points for fail to keep a safe following distance 6 points, incorrect positioning 2 points, fail to check blind spot 4 points and dunno 4 others points I forgot as I am so angry that I throw my checklist into the dustbin when leaving CDC...... I actually asked that instructor where I fail to check blind spot and the safe following distance. He said the fail to check blind spot was mark at before entering narrow plank. When he told me this I am so upset, because it is the bugger instructor Kelvin Yip(whom I had argument) who was there. Because of him I think I gotten 6 or 8 points from his station there always (the first time also him).... Instructor wanted to clarify with him but I just stop him and say never mind so what if I win, I still fail because of the immediate failure. So remember to keep you cool for earlier lesson because if u encounter such sarcastic instructor like me dunno how long I will need to pass lesson 5...He further gave me advice on my immediate failure to use rear brake instead of front brake to avoid right foot down...Oh well I had also cancelled all the lessons 5 which I booked earlier to take a 2 to 3 weeks break.... Will just stick to driving then...shall update once got the mood..

Some instructors advices I just take it with a pinch of salt...for example my e-brake, 3 instructors think I am ok but 1 instructor give me 4 points for incorrect posture..i done the same everytime for crank course, but 1 instructor think I never give enough clearance and give me 8 points for that.. Fig 8 come out 3 instructor thinks it ok but 1 instructor think I wide turning....many instructor at narrow plank station think I am ok but only that bugger yip thinks I need 6 or 8 points there....

Edited by simeone82

Sounds bad... i hate to say this but it seems you are already a "marked" man... and if the instructors cannot be professional about it... its better off you spend some time driving to other centers rather than waste your effort in this... i'm sure if you start from 0 in another center you might pass earlier ... but of course... its might only... at least i feel where i was from the instructors are more professional and are clear in their teaching. Only got one a little more cheeky and likes to tease people in good fun.

Take care bro..

Sounds bad... i hate to say this but it seems you are already a "marked" man... and if the instructors cannot be professional about it... its better off you spend some time driving to other centers rather than waste your effort in this... i'm sure if you start from 0 in another center you might pass earlier ... but of course... its might only... at least i feel where i was from the instructors are more professional and are clear in their teaching. Only got one a little more cheeky and likes to tease people in good fun.

Take care bro..

Yes after today lesson it confirm that I am marked by him. especially when instructor said I never check blind spot before entering narrow plank for queue up. That one I dare to confirm I got check...Actually I enrolled to SSDC already after that argument and had passed all 1 time except for fig 8 lesson 2 times in SSDC and now left assessment too Lesson 4 at SSDC..but the re theory lesson turn me off but guess I need to report there again....

Take it as a lesson. You can't choose tp testers... who knows maybe some of them are stricter than him. If you do everything properly and confidently sure won't hit 18 points one.

Yeah I noe TP tester also got guai lan one like my 1st time class 3. failed me because of bus lane (his watch showed slow timing) but said even no bus lane I also fail. 2nd tp tester actually confirm with me that the first tester is that pattern one when he asked me which tester failed me....

Well better luck next time in my lesson in SSDC then...

Lighten up mate. Took me 6 times to pass L5. 1 time I had 4 pts but 2 IF. Another time I had 8 pts 1 IF. Another time, all the L4 stuff IF - fell down at plank & ebrake & touched cone for slalom, all just after heavy rain. Finally at 6th attempt passed 8pts.

Jus keep plugging at it & build proficiency - practice consistently until everything swee swee. Im a very very jialat case learner & I passed test 1st time. So if I can do it, so can you:

My stats:

L1-5

L2-3

L3-5

L4-5

L5-6

L6-5

L7-4

L8-2

50cr & 6 rr

ultimately confidence more impt then skill. How to get confidence? Do your best & utmost during revisions. Strive for even better timings for each station then rqd, mk sure all blindspots & safety checks covered until everything so slick & well oiled that you dont even hv to think abt them. All auto pilot.

during L5, I hd no confidence hence 6 times. By L8, I was full of confidence hence twice. That confidence carried over to test day, passed 1st time.

Be patient. Just keep practicing & you'll get there.

P/s at the junction with another rider - who to go 1st? I always let the 1 who reaches the junction 1st go 1st. Just like waiting in a queue. Worked like a charm, never any confusion. No need to rush, just buy your time.

Edited by jbdoggy

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates

Lighten up mate. Took me 6 times to pass L5. 1 time I had 4 pts but 2 IF. Another time I had 8 pts 1 IF. Another time, all the L4 stuff IF - fell down at plank & ebrake & touched cone for slalom, all just after heavy rain. Finally at 6th attempt passed 8pts.

ultimately confidence more impt then skill. How to get confidence? Do your best & utmost during revisions. Strive for even better timings for each station then rqd, mk sure all blindspots & safety checks covered until everything so slick & well oiled that you dont even hv to think abt them. All auto pilot.

during L5, I hd no confidence hence 6 times. By L8, I was full of confidence hence twice. That confidence carried over to test day, passed 1st time.

Be patient. Just keep practicing & you'll get there.

P/s at the junction with another rider - who to go 1st? I always let the 1 who reaches the junction 1st go 1st. Just like waiting in a queue. Worked like a charm, never any confusion. No need to rush, just buy your time.

I am happy that your hard work paid off with 1 time TP! :thumb: Well at least your points are less than 10 even though got the immediate failure.. mine is like so much points 16 to 20 points with or without immediate failure....1st test that kelvin yip in order to cover his track, actually bother to wrote down all and where I commited the mistakes on my checklist.. 2nd and 3rd test instructor never even let me know where I commit the mistake just pass booklet back and go. Last test I actually clarified, when I check where the mistake commit I was like what never check blindspot at the point that I am sure I did.

I am cool, even if it needs me to extend my course or take up to 2 years to pass 2b I will sure do that.

At the junction, just to add it confirm me to go first lo if go by queue system. But well don't assume the others will let you go like in my case...

So lesson learnt always communicate...

At least now you're in a sheltered carpark for your CR. :)

And i know they have a policy when doing internal test. They will fault what they see. So when you question the tester they can actually point out your mistake specifically. And that was where i found out that certain blind spots i was actually turning my head "too" late... i had already passed the "assessment area" and they were already happily clocking the point for me when i do my blind spot check. So that's one thing you might want to note.

Its all a "show" in there. Need to do it until its automatic... when you are outside riding, no body check blind spot for more than half a sec... but in the circuit... i tend to slowly turn my head and deliberately move it more... (actually the eyes already looking in front after glancing the blind spot... hahaha in actual riding the front car can suddenly jam brake... thats actually more important.)

Have fun. I remember i cleared all my theory in a day for 1-4... and 5-7 on another day... there are dates where its back to back class... take leave and attend lesson :) no exam anyway... just the RTT which the practise quiz is like 90% of the actual questions already.

cdc circuit once u pass , is the closest thing to being on the road unlike the other learning center.

beside , if my dad can make it passing at cdc at the age of 60, i am sure others can too.

I am happy that your hard work paid off with 1 time TP! :thumb: Well at least your points are less than 10 even though got the immediate failure.. mine is like so much points 16 to 20 points with or without immediate failure....1st test that kelvin yip in order to cover his track, actually bother to wrote down all and where I commited the mistakes on my checklist.. 2nd and 3rd test instructor never even let me know where I commit the mistake just pass booklet back and go. Last test I actually clarified, when I check where the mistake commit I was like what never check blindspot at the point that I am sure I did.

I am cool, even if it needs me to extend my course or take up to 2 years to pass 2b I will sure do that.

At the junction, just to add it confirm me to go first lo if go by queue system. But well don't assume the others will let you go like in my case...

So lesson learnt always communicate...

Well on a +ve note, at least he bothered to write down when & where your mistakes are. So at home, reflect on those mistakes & try to improve on them. Go thro the circuit route in your mind several times & mk sure you cover every blindspot & safety check. Then transfer that to the circuit. Nxt thing to work on are those wobbles when moving/stopping. Throttle up a bit more when starting off to gain stability. Make your braking smoother when stopping - little less front brake, a little more rear brake. Then you wont 'dive' when you stop - that 'dive' is also considered wobble if im not wrong.

I remember once during my L5, at slalom exit, the route to ebrake was free & clear. So since i wasnt going to filter out to the right, I thot no need to chk right blindspot. But at the end of the session, the instructor not only gv me 4 pts for not checking blindspot he added another 2 pts for improper chkg of blindspot. At that point of time I did entertain thoughts whether he had something against me - if really a blindspot chk was needed, then 4 pts will do, why 4+2? So needless to say subsequent L5s i made sure i chked blindspot there regardless!!

But now when I reflect back, I think these instructors are really grilling us to make sure we learn & do the right things. How best to drive home a point to you or me? - By making the penalty of your mistakes as painful as possible! eg Blindspot checks is a big deal actually - they dont call it a lifesaver in the UK for nothing you know. Undeniably such things can be unpleasant at that moment, but if it deters you from repeating those mistakes & makes you strive to do better, I think its done its job!

Remember the slaps & spankings we received when we were kids? In the end it was thro those unpleasant moments which made us what we are to day wasnt it?

Edited by jbdoggy

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates

BBDC and SSDC are sister company from a school in Japan called Rainbow.

Hmmm... come here split into Before the storm and After the storm? hahaha....