SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Any GN125 Riders here?

ultimax

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its a dammmmmmmm good bike:

- par-see-buay-toh (never say die)

- good fuel consumption (41km/ltr)

- 8ltrs tank can travel 330km, another 2ltrs reserve can travel about 80km. hence total 10ltrs tank can travel 410km

- cheap spare parts

- reliable & proven engine

:cheer:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/pauche/rossivspauche.jpg

Haha yeah, that's why I just bought one.

Problem is, the engine needs to be overhauled. It's making a very loud ticking sound (timing chain), and it lacks power (gear 5 cannot make it). Was quoted $300-500 for the job. OK lah, considering the price I paid for the bike :)

How old is your GN125? What plate?

Originally posted by ultimax@Apr 27 2006, 03:54 PM

Haha yeah, that's why I just bought one.

Problem is, the engine needs to be overhauled. It's making a very loud ticking sound (timing chain), and it lacks power (gear 5 cannot make it). Was quoted $300-500 for the job. OK lah, considering the price I paid for the bike :)

How old is your GN125? What plate?

Hi,

Y u say 5th gear can't make it?

Btw, there is another bike CM125 which identical to GN125. What is comment on the CM over GN?

Jun 99 - Sep 00: Phantom 150

Sep 00 - Oct 01: Super4 Vtec1 400

Oct 01 - Apr 06: African Twin 750

Apr 06 - Present: Nighthawk 250

Originally posted by nys@Apr 28 2006, 09:53 AM

Hi,

Y u say 5th gear can't make it?

Oh, i think the piston ring needs to be changed. In 5th gear there's a drop in power. Like it just loses power. Compression problem maybe? Anyway, need to overhaul the engine. Thank God GN parts are cheap!!!

Originally posted by Pauche@Apr 28 2006, 09:59 AM

GN125 and GG125 and CM125 all same same..... bullet proof engine.

but the advantage of GN125 is that, it has electric start.

??? CG is kick-start. But CM is electric-start.

On the rd, there are more GN than CM. Hence, I would like to hear y more rider choose GN than CM. Becos most sgporean like Honda more than Suzuki in the past.

Jun 99 - Sep 00: Phantom 150

Sep 00 - Oct 01: Super4 Vtec1 400

Oct 01 - Apr 06: African Twin 750

Apr 06 - Present: Nighthawk 250

CM125 is not as simple engine as GN125, therefore maintanence is even cheaper for GN125. Its a reallly good bike if you are counting pennies (well even if you're not as it has a lot of character). The gn125 rides like a big bike in a liliputian sort of way - very grunty and interesting little bike. Derivaties of the gn125 model are used to achieve record fuel consumption for entries into the guiness book of record...

http://www.suzukicycles.org/high_milage_suzuki.shtml

"Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing"

Originally posted by ultimax@Apr 28 2006, 10:50 AM

haha ok lah

lots of parts falling apart! Speedo and RPM meters don't work. But the gear indicator still does haha.

speedo cable $6

tacho cable $6

clutch cable $6

heeeheee

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/pauche/rossivspauche.jpg

Originally posted by Pauche@Apr 29 2006, 12:18 AM

speedo cable $6

tacho cable $6

clutch cable $6

heeeheee

haha yay!

but the meters themselves have fallen apart. like the needle has fallen off. Gonna source for spare parts after my exams!

Buying an old bike and spending bits on parts and repairs/replacement is false economy as it all adds up to significant cost and end of day still an old bike with old tank, old frame etc. Low maintanence doesn't mean no maintance and mechanic in Singapore is not cheap. Rather spend a bit more on a more recent JAPAN-MADE GN125.

New gn125 after year 2002 are all CHina made usually FV plate and after.

Originally posted by gargantua@Apr 29 2006, 01:33 PM

Buying an old bike and spending bits on parts and repairs/replacement is false economy as it all adds up to significant cost and end of day still an old bike with old tank, old frame etc. Low maintanence doesn't mean no maintance and mechanic in Singapore is not cheap. Rather spend a bit more on a more recent JAPAN-MADE GN125.

New gn125 after year 2002 are all CHina made usually FV plate and after.

perhaps, but when u don't have that much cash in hand, buying an old bike makes sense. Besides, buying a bike is heng-suay. If you're unlucky, your brand-new bike may break down the day after you buy it.

My 1984 GN125 was made in Japan :)

perhaps, but when u don't have that much cash in hand, buying an old bike makes sense. Besides, buying a bike is heng-suay. If you're unlucky, your brand-new bike may break down the day after you buy it.

My 1984 GN125 was made in Japan :)

A 1984 model is 22 years old. A Japan made 2002 model is only 4 years old(you can get one for about $1800). I stand by what was said that buying an old bike with small cash upfront is false economy. From unlucky standpoint, one can be unlucky on both bikes. But, a 22 year bike is more likely to be a bigger pain in the ass and the $$ spent will grow and it won't reflect into the resell of the bike. For example, the slider in the carbs alone cost $105 with installation(how many bits are worned in the carbs alone?) Affordability - $$ should be reserved for the maintanence for the old bike too so better to invest most of it into the a newer bike itself and some installment if required.

IF you are saying you want to do it out of the enjoyment and joy of it, then you have my vote! And the bike you bought should be a good one, I'm sure :-)