SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Possible Solutions to your Phantom's Problem

jB

Hi Guys, I recently purchased a Phantom TA200. It's a 10+ yr old bike but previous owner said it is in excellent condition and he never had any problems.

I found it otherwise though in the 2 months that i have been riding it so far. Within 20 days of riding it, it came to a complete stop and cannot start it.

Towed it and found that the magnetic coil was spoilt.

Didn't know about Planet motors then so the towing guy took to some shop in lavendar st who charged 300+ for the magnetic coil(they said it comes two types. the Local one cost abt 150$ and original Honda costs about 300$. I went for the original one since still have 9+ yrs COE left)

Then last week drove it for a while in rain and it stopped half way thru. Not sure what the problem so had to tow again.

This time the mechanic told water went inside carburetor. I am not sure how water can go inside carburetor. He just flush it out and it started working.

For my satisfaction i asked him to change spark plug as well (as not sure how old already).

Would somebody be kind enough to suggest me on few things:

- How do i prevent water from goin inside carburetor. I mean cann't simply avoid rains in SGP. Most of the times you start from home with no rains but half way thru you find rains.

- Or is it that spark plug may be getting wet. I checked spark plug cover and it looks good. Any way to prevent water from reaching spark plug?

- Recently notice my bike getting very hot after riding it for about 15kms or so. Once hot the gearing also not so smooth. Also i feel the fuel consumption I am getting is more than 44kms per liter.\

Read the other thread about fuel consumption it may be running too lean? what should i do about it? Also the pickup not so good. Can hardly reach speed of more than 80-90 km/h on expressways in 6th gear.

Could it be because of engine running hot as well? Showed the bike to Ah Chong at planet motors last sat but he said no issues in bike currently.

- Also hear tick tick sound after turning off bike (after the ride). Per the FAQ, it could be CAM Chain tensioner? But Ah chong said it is normal since engine becomes hot after ride so it is normal to have tick tick sound after turning off.

Sorry for the long message and greatly appreciate any responses.

Have a good evening all !!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also had the "bike stop suddenly when raining b4." Its the worst thing that can happen to you.

Tick tick sound one of mechanic told me b4 its because of the catalytic converter.

Actually some cars also have this tick tick sound when they off the engine if u listen hard enough.

2008-2010 Honda Phantom TA200

2010-2013 Honda CB400 SPEC2

2013 Yamaha YZF-R6

For the issues in the rain, I had it before. It will get worse and worse. Spark plug changes helped for less than a week only. One day, decided to change the battery. Never had that problem again.

For the tick and tack sounds, most likely from your pipe. After riding, I do have these cracking sounds coming from the header mostly. I guess it's normal.

please see my comments below in bold; good luck!

Hi Guys, I recently purchased a Phantom TA200. It's a 10+ yr old bike but previous owner said it is in excellent condition and he never had any problems.

I found it otherwise though in the 2 months that i have been riding it so far. Within 20 days of riding it, it came to a complete stop and cannot start it.

Didn't know about Planet motors then so the towing guy took to some shop in lavendar st who charged 300+ for the magnetic coil(they said it comes two types. the Local one cost abt 150$ and original Honda costs about 300$. I went for the original one since still have 9+ yrs COE left)

Then last week drove it for a while in rain and it stopped half way thru. Not sure what the problem so had to tow again.

This time the mechanic told water went inside carburetor. I am not sure how water can go inside carburetor. He just flush it out and it started working.

For my satisfaction i asked him to change spark plug as well (as not sure how old already).

- How do i prevent water from goin inside carburetor. I mean cann't simply avoid rains in SGP. Most of the times you start from home with no rains but half way thru you find rains.

carb in the first place not supposed to leak. its part of a circuit. if water can go in either from your circuit something is either cracked or leaking. do find a mechanic for this. otherwise.. use a trashbag like how some of the folks do so.. (yes i know its not helpful) also, could be water in the fuel tank. that one more of fuel cap leaking rain water in.

- Or is it that spark plug may be getting wet. I checked spark plug cover and it looks good. Any way to prevent water from reaching spark plug?

you wont be able to tell if the spark plug cover is spoilt or not. sometime any crack so small you cant see but it will short out in the rain. the spark plug cover has an in line resistor iirc so the best way to check is to get another one to test with. otherwise.. trashbag or shake off the water.

- Recently notice my bike getting very hot after riding it for about 15kms or so. Once hot the gearing also not so smooth. Also i feel the fuel consumption I am getting is more than 44kms per liter.\

Read the other thread about fuel consumption it may be running too lean? what should i do about it? Also the pickup not so good. Can hardly reach speed of more than 80-90 km/h on expressways in 6th gear.

Could it be because of engine running hot as well? Showed the bike to Ah Chong at planet motors last sat but he said no issues in bike currently.

might be running lean. usually we run richer to so call "cool down" the combuston. 44km/l is godlike mode. look at the spark plug condiion. the heat becomes an issue if your spark plug insulator is melting and the plug area is turning white because of that. if ah chong say its good.. its probably good for the moment LOLOLOL

- Also hear tick tick sound after turning off bike (after the ride). Per the FAQ, it could be CAM Chain tensioner? But Ah chong said it is normal since engine becomes hot after ride so it is normal to have tick tick sound after turning off.

cam chain tensioner not related to the ticking sound after engine off. the ticking sound of horror is from your cam chain (or timing chain) inside the engine cylinder assembly when engine is running. its just normal contraction of exhaust after all that heat. you should worry instead if the ticking is during engine idling.

Edited by sawfly

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Yes, the coil does cost that much.

Your story damn long.

Water in fuel tank, change your fuel tank cap.

Dont make it air tight etc because ta200 fuel caps have to be vented.

If you wanna replace or rebuild a plug cap, read this.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/resistor_covers.pdf

Phantom 200 is air cooled.

Air cooled means cooling system sucks.

44km/hr is godlike mode.

A lean running bike will be hotter than a proper set one.

Best way is to read your spark plug.

http://ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Your tick sound is coming from your exhaust pipe which is cooling down rapidly.

Its ok I was once like you too.

Planet is a good shop for phantom. Please come on a non busy day and explain your problem to them.

I would explain to you how to tune up your bike but you sound not inclined to do so.

Go to the shop pay and learn.

Cheers.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

• 3 months later...
Problem 4: Cannot / Hard to start bike

Reason: Battery may be weak (confirmed by a tick sound from the right side cover under the seat).

Solution: Push Start(Clutch in after running with bike, release, give a quick throttle and clutch in) and go get battery replaced or ride to charge(if still can be charged).

You are advised to use third gear to push start (due to Phantom's short gearing) or even fourth on very slippery driveways (such as on some landed properties)

Reason: Fuse may be blown.

Solution: Check Fuse. Fuse is located on right side of bike. Remove chrome cover under the seat and see. Look out for the centre of the fuse if its broken then FUSED lor. Change new one.

Reason: Bike is in gear, kill switch is on, no petrol, petcock off.

Solution: Obvious.

Reason: Rectifier issue (despite new battery, bike soon becomes hard to start again)

Solution: Get mechanic to check with a voltage meter. Ah chong has one.

Reason: Petrol topped up too full - Don't laugh.

Solution: The petrol tank is not meant to be filled to the brim. Leave some space for air.

Reason: Water in petrol

Solution: Check that fuel cap is secure and no leaks

Reason/solution: Stater clutch assembly spolt - u can hear motorspin but engine does not turn over - bring over to mechanic

Hi guys, encountered a problem today.

Started my bike as usual, sat on it and put on my helmet. The moment I twisted the throttle, the bike died. Now this is normal, it has been happening to me for a few times, I just assumed the engine is cold or whatever as it usually starts right back up again.

But this time round it didn't start. Pulling on the choke helped a little (I could hear the faint starter motor sound) but it still didn't start. There's a loud tick sound coming from under the right chrome cover near the seat whenever I press the start button. From what I've read above, it is the battery. But my signal lights and headlights are still lighted up strongly? Is it possible for the battery to power the lights but not have enough voltage to start the bike?

I've a voltmeter at home, what's the voltage that I should get if I measured my battery? Really hoping it's just the battery and not the rectifier or something.

Fuse should be OK. U still can visually inspect. U will need voltmeter to check voltage liao. Push start alrd? The signal light solid means something short. Carbon is the carbon brush for DC motor . If enough power cannot run could be carbon worn. Try also clutch in to start or off lights to start.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

the starter solenoid can be a jerk sometimes. If you press the starter switch and all you hear is clicking, thats the solenoid relay closing in a continuous cycle. In some really rare situation (happened to me), the solenoid may be fused and not working properly, and work once you change a new one. OEM $28 at LAB IIRC.

Edited by matthias76

basically check if the motor can spin with power or not. you dont know now whether motor can spin under voltage or is it the relay not latching even though solenoid clicks.

to check so, by pass the starter motor positive cable direct to battery positive terminal using a thick cable. if starter motor wont spin, most likely carbon issue. if motor can spin, your relay is not latching like what matthias said.

please also check your fuse visually after this as this bypass checking method may cause your fuse to break.

Hi guys, the fuse is fine, I forgot to bring my voltmeter, but I was able to push start it. Planning to ride it to nearby Ah Koon to get it fixed.

Knocking on the carbon didn't work, maybe I didn't knock hard enough?

Anyway what should the mechanic be looking at when I bring my bike over later? I'm guessing he will look at these in order: 1) battery, 2) starter motor, 3) carbon brush?

Or if anyone is free later tonight... I ride over to your place to learn some new things? :D

Hi guys, the fuse is fine, I forgot to bring my voltmeter, but I was able to push start it. Planning to ride it to nearby Ah Koon to get it fixed.

Knocking on the carbon didn't work, maybe I didn't knock hard enough?

Anyway what should the mechanic be looking at when I bring my bike over later? I'm guessing he will look at these in order: 1) battery, 2) starter motor, 3) carbon brush?

Or if anyone is free later tonight... I ride over to your place to learn some new things? :D

Buy a bike voltmeter from ebay/taobao/aliexpress for as cheap as 5 bucks. You will get the peace of mind everytime you are on the bike and rules out a lot of other factors when you can't start the bike.

My voltmeter saved me a few times from the lousy wiring works (i did myself for some of the circuits - extremely lousy spots I choose on the bike frame for grounding my fog/hazard lights), and saved me from having to push start many many times.

DIY voltmeter is as easy as ABC.

A - Buy a voltmeter

B - Connect red wire to ignition

C - Connect black wire to ground

My voltages seemed fine, measured them with my multimeter and I got ~12.4V without headlights on.

Anyway I rode it down to Ah Fook. First thing he did was to knock the starter motor like ber mentioned. Then he shorted the starter motor like sawfly mentioned.

Then he said my carbon is worn and I got the starter carbon changed for $65 (chopped? no choice...). He also mentioned that the seals of my starter motor are worn, and water managed to seep through (He showed me white marks on the carbon) and that he'd just put grease for now as a stop gap measure.

Bike starts very easily now.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had some problems with my starter motor... it cant start the bike sometimes, unless i put it in gear and push it either in front or back to the stop...

show a mechanic the problem he told me it was the starter problem, the carbon brush could be worn out. I then bought the part and DIY. As the shop wanted to charge me $108 for it.

The replacement of the carbon brush solve the problem...

Thought that the thread starter might want to add this to the current list.

I recently had some problems with my starter motor... it cant start the bike sometimes, unless i put it in gear and push it either in front or back to the stop...

show a mechanic the problem he told me it was the starter problem, the carbon brush could be worn out. I then bought the part and DIY. As the shop wanted to charge me $108 for it.

The replacement of the carbon brush solve the problem...

Thought that the thread starter might want to add this to the current list.

How much did you pay for the carbon brush and where did you buy it?

Hey guys,

Recently, it is getting really tough to twist the key in the ignition and to take out the key from the ignition. I gotta fiddle with the key for awhile before I manage to get it out of the ignition.

Wd40 is your good friend.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk