SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Possible Solutions to your Phantom's Problem

jB

is the part circled a tube connected to the bottom of the carb? that one is the carb bowl/carb overflow drain tube..

no bro, that's the leaking fuel.... i do see some phantom bikes have tubes connector over there, but mine don't have. the mechanic said its normal ?, not all have the tube

you have what is known as carb overflow problem..

the shut of valve at the bowl cannot shut off the petrol when bowl is full..

at this condition your bike will stall when u try to increaee rpm by throttling..bike cannot be ridden as it will stall frequently.

sometimes it is caused by dirt etc stuck at the valve...preventing it from shutting off completely...in your case worn out needle/jet

yeah, that's more or less what the mechanic described as the problem. the thing is, im not sure how much is the reasonable cost to replace the pin. the last shop i visited told me its about 30-35 bucks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am trying to get that piece of flat rubber which serves as a protection against the chain grinding the swingram when there is excessive slack. I don't know how it is called. It is located after the front sprocket and is apparently secured with 2 screws. Mine has worn out quite badly allowing the chain to gouge a small hole on the swingram. Can anyone tell me where I can buy it and how much it costs? If not availble, then I'll need to improvise. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Anyone has any tip to offer please?

no bro, that's the leaking fuel.... i do see some phantom bikes have tubes connector over there, but mine don't have. the mechanic said its normal ?, not all have the tube

yeah, that's more or less what the mechanic described as the problem. the thing is, im not sure how much is the reasonable cost to replace the pin. the last shop i visited told me its about 30-35 bucks.

I think u should go other places like planet for a 2nd assessment. Prices usually quite fixed there for part replacement.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Can take picture and point at what u r refering to? For the roller I know can buy from ever success but dunno if ur refering to the chain slider.

If yr refering to the plastic under the chain I dun recommend u improvise bcos whatever u add might get caught in the chain and cause u danger. Just bring to reputable mechanic cos I think the slider is pretty much standard part.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Can take picture and point at what u r refering to? For the roller I know can buy from ever success but dunno if ur refering to the chain slider.

If yr refering to the plastic under the chain I dun recommend u improvise bcos whatever u add might get caught in the chain and cause u danger. Just bring to reputable mechanic cos I think the slider is pretty much standard part.

It may be called the chain slider as you suggest. A photo of the item in situ is as shown below:

Chain slider.jpg

Some damage has already taken place on the frame. Any idea of the cost and where to buy the item? I prefer to DIY myself. I'll clean up the area, patch the hole up with putty, and repaint over the patched area before replacing the slider.

The previous owner of the bike apparently had neglected its well being.

Edited by snookie51

Every time I switch off my engine, I hear a loud 'tock' sound from within the crank case, like something is being switched on or off. I think that may be the starter motor or some related stuff which must be disengaged when the engine is on and engaged back on when it is off so that it can crank start the engine again. Am I right? Or it's just not normal?

It may be called the chain slider as you suggest. A photo of the item in situ is as shown below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]286395[/ATTACH]

Some damage has already taken place on the frame. Any idea of the cost and where to buy the item? I prefer to DIY myself. I'll clean up the area, patch the hole up with putty, and repaint over the patched area before replacing the slider.

to be honest i cant see where the damage is.. paiseh arh.

anyway it looks like its part # 7 in this diagram:

F23 SWINGARM.jpg

try asking for the part at eversuccess or fjt. not sure about the course but since the roller is already quite cheap i.e. a few dollars i dun think the slider would be that over expensive anyway.

Every time I switch off my engine, I hear a loud 'tock' sound from within the crank case, like something is being switched on or off. I think that may be the starter motor or some related stuff which must be disengaged when the engine is on and engaged back on when it is off so that it can crank start the engine again. Am I right? Or it's just not normal?

not sure if its normal. always heard that thud sound when i off engine on 2 different bikes. and its not everytime, just random. i dont think the start motor is related to that sound though.

to be honest i cant see where the damage is.. paiseh arh.

anyway it looks like its part # 7 in this diagram:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]286437[/ATTACH]

try asking for the part at eversuccess or fjt. not sure about the course but since the roller is already quite cheap i.e. a few dollars i dun think the slider would be that over expensive anyway.

not sure if its normal. always heard that thud sound when i off engine on 2 different bikes. and its not every time, just random. i don't think the start motor is related to that sound though.

The damaged area is under the chain. The arrow is pointing a little too high. If you will look closely, there is a visible narrow groove below the arrowhead that appears a little brighter than the surrounding areas. Towards the bottom of the groove is a hole which is not shown in the photo. I bought over this bike only a month ago. It has a number of shortfalls or defects requiring rectifications. I'll do it one at a time. Tomorrow, I am going to FJT to get the slider or whatever else it may be called. I also have the same parts diagram that you included here. Have exhausted all means to get the corresponding parts list but to no avail. Anyone has any luck?

As for the thud sound, I still think it has something to do with the starter motor. Currently researching on it to confirm.

The damaged area is under the chain. The arrow is pointing a little too high. If you will look closely, there is a visible narrow groove below the arrowhead that appears a little brighter than the surrounding areas. Towards the bottom of the groove is a hole which is not shown in the photo. I bought over this bike only a month ago. It has a number of shortfalls or defects requiring rectifications. I'll do it one at a time. Tomorrow, I am going to FJT to get the slider or whatever else it may be called. I also have the same parts diagram that you included here. Have exhausted all means to get the corresponding parts list but to no avail. Anyone has any luck?

As for the thud sound, I still think it has something to do with the starter motor. Currently researching on it to confirm.

for the parts diagram the only one i've found is in thai. might not be a major issue anyway cos parts are pretty standard and some shops carry parts from honda but made in china.

try looking into the honda common service manual for more info on the thud sound. from what i know the starter clutch disengages when the engine starts running, which is why i surmise it shouldnt be the reason why the sound is related to the starter motor. more inclined to think that its more related to the travel of the crankshaft or anything that is mechanically coupled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]286395[/ATTACH]

The previous owner of the bike apparently had neglected its well being.

Aiyo bro ah.

That tick sound is the metal contracting lah!!

TT plastic item can get at planet motors for less than $15 Its called the chain slider.

:btw: your chain looks really :slapforehead:

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

for the parts diagram the only one i've found is in thai. might not be a major issue anyway cos parts are pretty standard and some shops carry parts from honda but made in china.

try looking into the honda common service manual for more info on the thud sound. from what i know the starter clutch disengages when the engine starts running, which is why i surmise it shouldnt be the reason why the sound is related to the starter motor. more inclined to think that its more related to the travel of the crankshaft or anything that is mechanically coupled.

I agree that the starter motor is disengaged when the engine starts running. And it has to be or it will put unnecessary load on the engine. But when the engine is switched off, the motor must be reengaged in order to be able to restart the engine again. The question is whether this reengagement produces the loud thud that is heard during switch off.

I bought my chain slider from FJT this afternoon. The cost is $8 a piece. They call it 'tong chiew ni', or rubber stopper in Hokkien. I also bought the rear brake pads for $15. Not sure if this price is good. I also asked Ah Chong to test my bike for any noticeable defects. He said other than the noisy chain, everything else is ok. Big sigh of relief.

Edited by snookie51

Aiyo bro ah.

That tick sound is the metal contracting lah!!

TT plastic item can get at planet motors for less than $15 Its called the chain slider.

:btw: your chain looks really :slapforehead:

But which metal? Thats what we are trying to find out.

easiest way to find out is to turn off your engine in front of dr chong and ask him. :angel:

anyway i heard that tock sound only with single cylinder 4 stroke engines only and not s4. dont ask me cos i also relatively new. =D

I agree that the starter motor is disengaged when the engine starts running. And it has to be or it will put unnecessary load on the engine. But when the engine is switched off, the motor must be reengaged in order to be able to restart the engine again. The question is whether this reengagement produces the loud thud that is heard during switch off.

I bought my chain slider from FJT this afternoon. The cost is $8 a piece. They call it 'tong chiew ni', or rubber stopper in Hokkien. I also bought the rear brake pads for $15. Not sure if this price is good. I also asked Ah Chong to test my bike for any noticeable defects. He said other than the noisy chain, everything else is ok. Big sigh of relief.

dunno about that leh. i only remb when the starter clutch engage the starter motor to me it sounded more like a drill. not too sure about the thud liao.

The sound that u hear when the engine stops is nothing to worry about. I hear that on my phantom previously and even with my single cylinder scooter now. I believe its just a trait of the type of engine.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to duplicate my Phantom key at a hardware shop a couple of days ago but the key maker asked whether my key was zipped. He couldn't explain what that meant exactly but said that if the key was zipped, the duplicate key wouldn't be able to start the engine. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

The heated parts like exhaust and covers.

I wanted to duplicate my Phantom key at a hardware shop a couple of days ago but the key maker asked whether my key was zipped. He couldn't explain what that meant exactly but said that if the key was zipped, the duplicate key wouldn't be able to start the engine. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

He's asking if there is a chip embedded in your key head.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

The heated parts like exhaust and covers.

He's asking if there is a chip embedded in your key head.

Does Phantom key has chip? I don't think so if you are referring to a microchip. That usually applies to a car key with remote control, right?

Does Phantom key has chip? I don't think so if you are referring to a microchip. That usually applies to a car key with remote control, right?

think the key maker was refering to bikes with system like HISS for S4..yes phantom ignition key no chip..

think the key maker was refering to bikes with system like HISS for S4..yes phantom ignition key no chip..

Ya, I think that was what the key maker was trying to say. You know those hokkien-speaking people. They shoot anything they like. HISS becomes zip. Anyway, thanks Sawfly :cheer:

Ya, I think that was what the key maker was trying to say. You know those hokkien-speaking people. They shoot anything they like. HISS becomes zip. Anyway, thanks Sawfly :cheer:

no prob! =D that make sense.. im hokkien.. zip sounds jip or chip.. LOL!

Hey guys, on friday i encountered this funny problem. Tried starting the bike, it never got started. Open trottle a little then it starts running. But the moment i close trottle, the engine rpm drops then immediately dies. After 5 tries later still the same problem. Then i figured might be idling issue. True enough, the idling screw was completely screwed beyond even the minimum, hence the engine didnt even get to idle. Funny thing is, during morning i didnt have this issue. So how can the idler screw be set to that kind of level? Was thinking maybe someone pull a nasty prank on me or something.

Another issue was, once a while, when i suddenly open trottle at very low rpm, there's a pop sound and engine almost went dead. Took abt 1s for it to get back to normal. Doesnt sound like backfire. Sounded like misfiring instead. Am i right? It rarely happens, but it does. Only happens when i suddenly twist the trottle open at low rpm.

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Hey guys, on friday i encountered this funny problem. Tried starting the bike, it never got started. Open trottle a little then it starts running. But the moment i close trottle, the engine rpm drops then immediately dies. After 5 tries later still the same problem. Then i figured might be idling issue. True enough, the idling screw was completely screwed beyond even the minimum, hence the engine didnt even get to idle. Funny thing is, during morning i didnt have this issue. So how can the idler screw be set to that kind of level? Was thinking maybe someone pull a nasty prank on me or something.

Another issue was, once a while, when i suddenly open trottle at very low rpm, there's a pop sound and engine almost went dead. Took abt 1s for it to get back to normal. Doesnt sound like backfire. Sounded like misfiring instead. Am i right? It rarely happens, but it does. Only happens when i suddenly twist the trottle open at low rpm.

it could be air/fuel mixture not right. maybe too rich. Check yr air filters and yr plugs first. Mine had the same signs till I changed to a new filter after the haze plus a carb retune by the mech.