SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Bajaj Avenger

kckerk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by gohjohan@Aug 4 2006, 10:34 AM

Congratulations on getting your license.

Thanks gohjohan. You look like a very experienced rider.:smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Being a new rider, I just realised that a cruiser bike is harder to make U-turn. Yesterday, I was U-turning in 2nd gear. I think the turning speed is too slow because the engine stalled,

What do you guys think? Should I adjust the idling speed higher so that my engine does not stall so easily? Or next time I u-turn I should step down to 1st gear? :confused: I realised the turning radius has to be wider too for my cruiser.

Edited by kckerk

Assuming you stopped and checked for traffic, you should have done it in 1st gear. Hold it there and when you've completed your u-turn, change gear. Don't rush the gear change.

I'm not sure about the Avenger, but are you able to use the 1st gear up to 10km/h before changing to 2nd? For the Phantom, I was able to. So I also had to do the u-turn steadily at the right speed and at the same time, look to where I want to go. Keep practising that method and you can do a u-turn smoothly.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by kckerk@Aug 23 2006, 03:44 PM

Being a new rider, I just realised that a cruiser bike is harder to make U-turn. Yesterday, I was U-turning in 2nd gear. I think the turning speed is too slow because the engine stalled, I lost balance and my new bike landed on its side! :cry: There are a few scratches on the crash bar and muffler. Luckily, it was a quite spot with no other vehicles around.

What do you guys think? Should I adjust the idling speed higher so that my engine does not stall so easily? Or next time I u-turn I should step down to 1st gear? :confused: I realised the turning radius has to be wider too for my cruiser.

took me awhile to get use to the U turn but i guess for now , i throttle and bend my bike more when i uturn at 2nd gear , but if at first gear, i have to throttle even more to prevent my bike from stall.but i guess you need to bend more with your bike and turn your handle bar ,dont forget to look at where you are going ,dont just keep looking at your front wheel. :) . Practise makes perfect.

A New Rider A New Bike A New Hope ~!

~~TA200 Phantom custom 4 ~ 2004 to 2006

A old Rider , A old Bike but still A New Hope~!

~~Dragstar 4TR custom 2006 to 2007

A forgotten Rider, An old legend, A returned Hope~!

~~VMax12 2007 to 2007

A returned Rider, Another legend, forever hope~!

~~Shadow400 2009 ...

Originally posted by kckerk@Aug 23 2006, 03:44 PM

I believe you were in too high a gear for the speed you're going at. Adjusting your idling speed will not help much here.

Next time, try doing the u-turn in 1st gear (may need to half clutch) and only shift up after your bike is straight again.

Try not to change your gear while u-turning until you're more experienced and know the bike better. There may be instances where you want to change to 2nd only to realise that it is in neutral.

Most importantly, look to where you want to go, and your bike will head in that direction.