SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Commuting to work

Esuhi

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if it is realistic and worth it to commute to work by bike.

Going by the parking guide thread from this forum, it appears that parking is a major cost and/or nuisance depending on where you work.

Do any of you commute to CBD, for instance? It seems that parking options in that area cost 10$/day or more. Am I getting that right?

Where do you park? Does your company offer parking?

Is it worth driving to an MRT station close to CBD and leaving the bike there?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't commute to CBD but I regularly go there for weekend outing. Depends on where you work, or what building you work in. First thing you should do is to ask your superior whether free resident parking can be arranged with the building manager.

If you cannot get free parking at your own building, there are some places in town nearby that offer free parking for motorcycles. The one I always go to is at Suntec City, they provision the gantry to allow motorcycles to skip the barrier. Park there and walk to work.

It is convenient to commute to work in CBD by bike, but honestly it might not be worth it because of ERP and traffic. If you can walk to an MRT station near your home, it might sometimes be faster to take the MRT directly to town, and also cost the same as paying for petrol and ERP. Also especially during the recent rainy season, it's a bit inconvenient to ride in the rain.

Riding bike to work makes more sense if you work somewhere very ulu where you have no choice but to take a bus once you reach the nearest MRT stop.

Check out my Website for freelance design and marketing services! : www.reizeprimus.com

Or watch my Youtube channel for more Motovlogs and Motorcycling Content! : www.youtube.com/ReizePrimus

If your house is remote, might probably be more convenient to just ride all the way to work.

Which building are you working in, maybe can see if there is free parking nearby.

Check out my Website for freelance design and marketing services! : www.reizeprimus.com

Or watch my Youtube channel for more Motovlogs and Motorcycling Content! : www.youtube.com/ReizePrimus

when i go to work, sometimes i feel i am the most lucky son of a gun. i work in cbd tanjong pagar. but i park my bike at the pinnacle where i applied for the $20 HDB coupon. previously before the implementation of this scheme, I was looking around for free parking outside the fringe of the CBD. at one time, i even came very early (before 8am) to avoid the ERP and park at the free place eg (fuji tower).

Thank you for all the feedback.

@reize: This is about MBFC.

Ride from your place all the way to Suntec, then you can choose to either MRT from there to your office building or walk.

Faster and more sensible than taking MRT all the way from Toa Payoh. The less MRT stops the better, less chance of getting into an MRT breakdown.

IF you live in HDB, you can apply for HDB parking and ask for the concessionary scheme. This allows you to park practically anywhere which in the HDB / SLA areas for $20. so if your work area is like myself, then great.

btw, where you work? perhaps i can give an idea

I used to work in a building that allows free parking in the gated compound and no ERP (non CBD area).

but now work in CBD (building just few Meters after ERP gantry) other than further (petrol cost increase) daily ERP cost $1.50 (2 ERP gantry).

But very lucky there is a lot open space and HDB gantry parking around. Lot is not a problem.

With the HDB concession parking, park everywhere free. Can avoid ERP if go in earlier before 7.30am I think or something..

Every time at traffic light seeing people packed into bus like sardines, thank god I ride. Of course raining season is whole lot different story.

Sometimes take Grab/Uber because too lazy to ride in rain.Wet clothes/change clothes/late.

• Yamaha RXZ 135
  • Honda Wave 125
  • Honda CB400 Spec 3
  • Yamaha FZ6 
  • Yamaha FZ1S
  • Yamaha XMAX 300 & Yamaha R15

So, Concessionary Season Parking means that I can park at all (or almost all) HDB parking areas?

I was under the impression I could only access one parking lot near my home.

Looking at the map at http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/car-parks/car-park-location-map

Which of these car parks are accessible under CSP?

All HDB & URA (those on the street or backlanes) as long got motorcycle lots.

Working at CBD personally.

I will park at Tanjong Pagar Plaza if I feel like paying ERP(no choice i not an early riser). Or else its the next nearest sheltered carpark underneath Pinnacle@Duxton.

Also depends where you stay and the route you take to reach work may pass by only 1 ERP gantry.

they exclude Carparks near sports facilities like stadium etc. Because got barrier and charges per entry etc.

And talking about the CSP. If there are 2 lanes entering, Season and Non season. For bikes, we can go thru the season lanes. It does open. Last time kuku que under non season together with all jammed up cars. Tried to go season lane and it opens.

Example are Golden mile food ctr and Geylang Serai MSCP.

• Yamaha RXZ 135
  • Honda Wave 125
  • Honda CB400 Spec 3
  • Yamaha FZ6 
  • Yamaha FZ1S
  • Yamaha XMAX 300 & Yamaha R15

• 3 months later...