SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Newcomer

Ritmo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ritmo@Sep 22 2006, 02:37 AM

Especially the braking system, basically harley got no brakes at all!!!

hi Ritmo.....wellcome to the cruisers community.... just as a reminder though..........there are 2 things you don't gamble on motorcycle... one is the tyres the other one is the brakes.....have it check by a qualified dealers...yeah

Harley doesn't makes the best brakes though......but it is re assuring to know that it is already been checked & service even if you are buying it straight from the shelf.

..........decided 2 do?.....then do it!.......2 do nothing is 2 get nothing..........

Guest fengdrew

Welcome to the Harley family and community.

Dun get too surprised or shock when u get lots of stares, admiration and envy looks from others on the road..

N do look out for other friendly Harley riders tat will juz say "HI" or horn u on the road when ya on ur sportser...

Btw which sportser model u bought??

New? 2nd Hand??

Originally posted by v2win@Sep 22 2006, 08:23 AM

hi Ritmo.....wellcome to the cruisers community.... just as a reminder though..........there are 2 things you don't gamble on motorcycle... one is the tyres the other one is the brakes.....have it check by a qualified dealers...yeah

Harley doesn't makes the best brakes though......but it is re assuring to know that it is already been checked & service even if you are buying it straight from the shelf.

suspension and forks are equally important.

Ventura Puig Keiti Bagster Motovation Akrapovic BMC Pazzo GPR RaceShield Brembo Bridgestone EBC

Arai AGV Alpinestar Dainese Sidi Coolmax

No offence, but you should have gotten a FLSTF Fat Boy if you want dual disc brakes. I know budget is tight, but a loan from those credit companies is possible.

Back to your question, I'm not sure if it's worth to get it done, 'cos it's going to be very costly (typical of the H-D service).

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Originally posted by gohjohan@Sep 25 2006, 09:49 AM

No offence, but you should have gotten a FLSTF Fat Boy if you want dual disc brakes. I know budget is tight, but a loan from those credit companies is possible.

Back to your question, I'm not sure if it's worth to get it done, 'cos it's going to be very costly (typical of the H-D service).

No offence Johan my man, just a little correction (to prevent mis-information and additional info);

Most Harleys have 2-disc-brakes; 1 rear & 1 front.

Some have 3-disc-brakes; 1 rear & 2 front.

NONE have 1-disc-brakes; drum rear & 1 front.

I think what Ritmo was talking about converting is the front disc from single to dual.

The Fatboy also has 2-disc-brakes, 1 rear & 1 front, similar to the Sportster.

In fact, all the soft tails only has 2-disc-brakes (according to the webbie).

Only difference is Fatboy callipers are 4 ports while the sportster is F:2 ports, R:1 ports, BUT the Fatboy weighs a whole 132lbs (60kg) heavier at 694lbs (~314kg) dry.

List of Harleys with 3-disc-brakes:

XL 883R Sportster

XL 1200R Sportster

The V-Rod family

The Touring family

Cheers!

Anyone else with additional info, do feel free add in so that all here can benefit.

p/s: Ritmo, should have gotten the 883R or 1200R (not sure which cc you riding) with the 3-disc-brakes. Most prob not much higher than your current, but definitely way cheaper than a FLSTF Fat Boy, with 2-disc-brakes.

Ritmo, unless your front forks come with an option to add another set of calipers, the only way i can think of to convert to a 2-disc up front is to change your forks as well as your rims.

To improve the braking efficiency, try changing the rubber brake hoses to steel braided ones.

And use quality brake pads. They wear fast and cost more, but hey, life is priceless.

Hi William, thks for the info. Ya thats wat i mean to change my front brakes from single to dual.

Guess is too late nw as im currently riding a XLH 883, tink is nt going to be cheap if i change my front braking system including forks n rims right?? I hv already changed my rubber brake hoses to steel braided ones bt didnt help much too.....

Thks anyway for ur info.:smile:

Hey, no probs man.

If you're gonna keep your bike for long, you can slowly buy part by part from the US.

Its not going to come cheap, but if a dual is really what u want, start slow and build it up over time.

Originally posted by Ritmo@Sep 29 2006, 02:53 AM

Ya, mayb i should change to dual disc brakes if i want to keep the bike for long.

One more thing which i don't ustd, y sometimes after a distance ride, my Sporster tends to backfire?? Is there anything wrong with it??:giddy:

perhaps too lean & timing too hi..

my low rider with stage 1 air-cleaner & SE slip-on torque muffler, calibrated, all done at HD, occasionally back fire too..

I guess is the way I do with the throttling during deceleration, you may want to check how it happen and if not comfortable, try to change your style on throttle control.

did you do on the air-cleaner & muffler?

Cheers.

'79 - AM Yamaha YB100

'82 ~ '85 - FA Honda VT250

'04 Feb 28 - FQ Yamaha DragStar Classic 400

'05 Jan - FY TDM 900

'06 Mar ~ 2009 April - FY HD Dyna Low Rider

'10 Sept ~ 2011 Dec - KTM 690SMR

'12 Apr ~ 2013 Apr BMW F650GS

'13 Jun ~ 2016 Apr K1300R

'17 Apr - Yamaha MT-03, '18 Mar - HD XL1200 CX, '19 Mar - Nmax 155

Non smoker since 28 Feb '04, have enough "smoke" on the road on 2 wheels...

Originally posted by Ritmo@Oct 1 2006, 02:45 AM

Mufflers are definately original, as for the air cleaners im nt too sure as well....

At least i know this is quite normal....:cheeky:

I bet soon you will change your exhaust to feel the punch & be heard...:)

the first thing I collected my bike is to think how fast can the mufflers be delivered & installed...

enjoy & ride safe.

'79 - AM Yamaha YB100

'82 ~ '85 - FA Honda VT250

'04 Feb 28 - FQ Yamaha DragStar Classic 400

'05 Jan - FY TDM 900

'06 Mar ~ 2009 April - FY HD Dyna Low Rider

'10 Sept ~ 2011 Dec - KTM 690SMR

'12 Apr ~ 2013 Apr BMW F650GS

'13 Jun ~ 2016 Apr K1300R

'17 Apr - Yamaha MT-03, '18 Mar - HD XL1200 CX, '19 Mar - Nmax 155

Non smoker since 28 Feb '04, have enough "smoke" on the road on 2 wheels...

Originally posted by dt222@Oct 1 2006, 11:54 AM

I bet soon you will change your exhaust to feel the punch & be heard...:)

the first thing I collected my bike is to think how fast can the mufflers be delivered & installed...

enjoy & ride safe.

Infact mine is a 2002 model, had baffles removed from the first owner, so the sound is ok...... nt too bad. But i noe the newer models now are actually quite soft.

Originally posted by Ritmo@Sep 29 2006, 02:53 AM

Ya, mayb i should change to dual disc brakes if i want to keep the bike for long.

Dual disc brakes for the front would mean that you'll likely have to replace your hub , add a disc and a caliper as well as rehose your system. Certainly, if done right, braking power will be solid together but the high cost and time taken for installation is also quite "solid". heh heh

Perhaps , you can consider changing your current caliper to a six port caliper.

slightly expensive, requires 3 pairs of brake pads but installation would be easier and braking power would improve quite tremendously (coupled with steel braided hoses.)

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Originally posted by NormalAspirated@Oct 8 2006, 05:43 PM

Hey Budd, I share my experience with you.

My Hayabusa come with Dual 06pots Tokico feels ok. Replaced with Dual Brembo 04pots beats Tokico hands down.

Make sure getting genuine and well research products, materials used and do some homework for its application. :D

04pots Brembo has bigger pistons that gives more instant aggressive bits. Materials used can withstand higher temperature with minimum metal expansion. The fast reaction gives the rider more confident. Thats the reasons supersports category bike swear by radial mounted 04pots calipers. :p

One of my friend changes his 06'Harley Dyna with steel hoses and single 04pots to Performance Machine 06pots caliper that cost a bomb. Soon after loaded in EBC double H rated pad. Improvement shown only 15% better.

My guess is that costly nice chrome looking "PM caliper" is crap ! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/animal0043.gif

Rest 06pots I am not sure. By far, European still make the best bolt on performance hardwares. :cheer:

Could I imply that the dual Brembo four-piston radial-mount front brake calipers is much better to have than a dual Tokico four-piston radial-mount front brake calipers as well? For all we know, Tokico while not as powerful as the Brembos, are almost totally linear and have superlative feel and feedback. And Nissin? Loads of bite and feel without being grabby.

End of the day, these brakes calipers are reputable among the different manufacturers and serve their job well.

:cheeky:

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Braking power is my concern too. I was browsing the Harley catalogue (2006), they do have a dual-disc conversion kit for '04- later sportsters with 19'' cast iron wheel.

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 9 2006, 07:58 PM

Braking power is my concern too. I was browsing the Harley catalogue (2006), they do have a dual-disc conversion kit for '04- later sportsters with 19'' cast iron wheel.

But mine is a 2002 model....... :weep: