SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Ride Safe Message

Brothers, sisters, thanks for the excellent tips and links. I see that you are on top of it. great! But judging by the number of posts, it's not a popular thread. In fact, a bit 'uncool'.

The Ride safe message if too much of things we have already been taught in riding/driving school. The advocates need to up the level of skills piece by piece, bit by bit, and scenario by scenario. Brothers, sisters. There's too many "let's be safe" motherhood statements flying around. Let's cut the crap of motherhood statements, get into skills development. The questions are all "HOW TO BE SAFE?" How to make it home to your loved ones? We need to instill attitude changes. Bring graciousness, and then equip pedestrians, riders and drivers. Many small bite sized tips and tricks we all learn all the time. Never too seasoned to learn new techniques. The poster is too messy. Like trying to do too many things at the same time.

TP: Please work on action plans for safety. Measurables, not just media message; How do you know that the message has gone out, internalized and practiced?? Measure that outcome. Not just the output of the media reach by advertising in newspapers and count the bloody readership sales as your KPI.

Let's get serious and reduce the numbers of families who have to bear with loss and permanently disabled family members just BECAUSE we think it's too difficult or impossible to re-educate and equip a nation of 4 million people. Many countries have done it with larger population. Our jenghu has a smaller and thus (should be) easier job. Let's take this opportunity to start. Get the stakeholders together and LET'S TAKE ACTION.

Thanks.

So what kind of skills are we talking about here? I have seen too many young (and many new) riders thinking they are ready to take on the world after attending half a day of defensive riding course.

Skills are good of course, but should we not first take a look at HOW we ride? Do we ride too close to the car in front? Do we ride between traffic? Do we twist the throttle a little bit harder when we approach green lights? Why do we ride the way we do? What makes us do it? What do we get out of riding the way we do? Is it necessary to ride the way we do?

I believe riding is an attitude. Skills are good, but if we abuse the skills, what good is that? Do GP riders have skills? If they ride on roads like how they ride on tracks, does that increase their chances of survival? What we want are safe riders, not good riders. Skills will come with time, understanding and practice, but if we don't first get the attitude right, then it won't make any difference what skills we have.

I'll just share this one tip here for now:

Ever found yourself caught between deciding whether to crack open your throttle or to jam on the brakes when the lights turn amber just as you approach a junction? Open throttle and risk 12 points on the licence. Brake and risk a skid, or end up stopping in the middle of the junction, or getting hit by the Lexus behind.

Are such situations within our control? We cannot control the lights, but can we can control HOW we respond to the lights?

What is your mindset when you approach lights that are green? Many people will say slow down in case the lights change. Right? Bull ****. That's what the text book and instructors say. How many people have you seen slowing down for green lights? So people say things they don't do just because that's the right thing to say.

But my question is not about what you say, but what you THINK. What is your mindset when approaching lights that are green? Go unless the lights say stop?

Think about it. Post your answers. And I'll get back to you. ;)

Honda CG145, Honda CB150R ExMotion. And a few others in between...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, I'll get back to you right now. Never know if this might save someone on his/her next ride.

So, go unless the lights say stop?

Imagine this: you are entering a carpark, but the gantry barrier rises and drops randomly. As you approach, the barrier is up. Would you assume it will stay up and just ride through? Or would you approach cautiously getting ready to stop in case it drops?

Now isn't it the same with traffic lights? Why do we like the green light so much when so very often it throws surprise amber lights at us just as we are about to go through?

Should we not change our mindsets to think "stop unless the lights say go"?

Don't trust the green lights, people. Green lights are not our friends.

a Arai raincoat , thick one , would do the job..minor skids , can cover..give rider extra assurance too..wear it and you'll find the diff !

hmmm...I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here, velocity. Although a thick raincoat is better than a cotton t-shirt, I am of the opinion it will not do the job of saving your skin very well. Put half your weight on the raincoat and drag it behind your bike and see what happens to it.

But you did mention "minor skids". Maybe it's just me, but I do not consider any fall at speeds that could results in a skid "minor". I had a fall going round a corner at about 30kmh which had me sliding for something like 3 meters (or less) and it burned a hole through the cordura sleeve of my jacket. I do not think raincoat material will have as much abrasion resistance as cordura.

If you topple your bike while stationery with you on it, yeah, it probably will protect you somewhat, but I guess that's about it.

I would want to be careful about the "extra assurance" bit too. Some people think that just because they have an extra layer on, they are bullet proof. Dangerous mentality.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

See how serious riders are with safety? It has been half a year since my last post it's still the last post (not counting linda731).

Nobody wants to talk about safety anymore.

Too few riders take personal safety seriously. Sad.

Edited by Keoni

Motorcycle accident @ Bartley Rd towards Braddell Rd. Saw blood coming out from head. Looks bad, hopefully the rider recovers. Don't know whose fault, hopefully got witnesses or evidence footage from other vehicles. Too bad cant help much as I didnt witness the accident and in the rush. Pls dont flame me guys.

Ride safe bikez, look out for irresponsible drivers. Cheerz....

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you guys prefer lane splitting to riding behind traffic like other vehicles and do you feel safer doing either?

Many to callers to a radio talk show last week about road safety were car drivers who felt motorcyclists shouldn't split lanes.

My opinion is lane splitting is safer to get to the front of the traffic light junction so that moving off first on a clear road in front at least gives me space from rest of non 2wheeled traffic.

When it rains too,my preferred route would be normal roads over expressways but having to watch painted lines and drain covers, to ride and brake smoothly.

sigh, just saw another accident involving a bike, fatal.

Bike waiting behind car near traffic junction, rear ended by a minibus and rider run over...fatal.road was dry.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family members.

Similar type of accident occurred a year ago near AMK.

So again, lane- splitting is a grey area and drivers think it's wrong.

Question: wait between traffic which is stationary should be safer, or like riding test, wait behind traffic, vehicles approaching from behind not stopping in time and rear-ending biker?

Sometimes it's bad luck but riding safe may mean adopting other techniques of riding in heavy traffic esp in SG.

Not forming up correctly is a traffic offence, then again so is weaving between traffic, as motorists normally "accuse" riders of doing. Bikers both local as well as our neighbours that all the time, so again ,motorists just associate all bikers to be endangering their own lives.

Ever notice or have people comment on bikers,especially non riders to a rider?they always say:riding motorbikes is a dangerous and risky thing to do , especially in Asia.

They say that you may be following traffic rules but should an accident occur, we always bear the brunt of painful injury compared to larger vehicles with 4 or more wheels.

Situational awareness must be practiced when we're on the road, so that we can live to ride another day.

I have attended the Orange safe riding course an felt it to be beneficial. Of course track riding helps as well as more miles just from riding and reading road situations.

Our mental attitude as well as those of all other road users must be to keep our roads safe.

I can't speak for users of electric bicycles or electric scooters, I'm sure there's going to be more incidents on the road as they blatantly break rule just because they have no registration plates, let alone proper licensing .... How are the authorities going to address that,since they say they're short of enforcement personnel, except to catch loud exhausts ???