SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Which TV is good for home use?

Baz00ka

I was told LED Smart TV is the in thing now.

There are so many different brands, SAMSUNG, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, etc.

I think I will skip SONY, because it always be the most ex one though may have its advantageous.

So bro/sis, which brand and size would be recommended? And is it better to wait for the upcoming PC Show in June?

My budget is below $900.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

projector.

takes lesser space at home

n it looks kinda cool to have "movie theater " at home

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda super4 ver s - yamaha rxz 135

Honda cbr 600 rr

Suzuki hayabusa 1300 - yamaha cygnus 125 - yamaha lc135 spark

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013/10/22/bikepics-2608839-full.jpg

not yet but i surely will invest in one provided the lamp replacement is easy to get and affordable.

problem with projector is the lamp "bulb".

it needs replacement every now and then.

bto flats are getting smaller hence need to maximise the space available.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

Correct. I came across before there is a life span for the bulb, something like 10k hours or so, and changing the bulb is not cheap, perhaps another 40" not so branded LED price @ 600-800? But watch movies can be enjoyable with that... Also need a good sound system for nice sound effect, another add on bro.. hehehe....

Thought of mounting it on the wall save some space. Saw a friend with 55" SAMSUNG LED Smart TV, can watch youtube on tv and browse. House is normal size and mounted it on the wall, quite nice.

not yet but i surely will invest in one provided the lamp replacement is easy to get and affordable.

problem with projector is the lamp "bulb".

it needs replacement every now and then.

bto flats are getting smaller hence need to maximise the space available.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

You get those big big ones which is a smart LED tv. Make sure to get big big one. But of course, not too big la. But big enough for people to come your house and say "WAh! You TV so big!!".

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

With 900 you can get a decent LCD tv. Not LED.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

30 + inch can actually get led tv ar. juz not those smart tv.

Sent from my GT-P1000

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

I was told LED Smart TV is the in thing now.

There are so many different brands, SAMSUNG, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, etc.

I think I will skip SONY, because it always be the most ex one though may have its advantageous..

Don't be distracted with those Smart TV features, 3D...etc.

First, ask yourself, what is your main usage? Watching TV, playing games, watching blueray....etc. Because that will have a huge impact on your budget. Eg Watching TV you do not need a HD TV because even HD programmes (starbhub box) are not in true HD ie, it's only 1080i. and not 1080P.

Next, what type of TV technology you desire ? Currently there are Plasma, LCD, and LED. All three have their pros and cons but essentially, for the same size, Plasma TVs are the cheapest, and LED TVs are the most expensive, and LED TVs consumed the least electriciity thus generating least heat. LED TVs can be broken into two type, side lit or back lit. Back lit is better because it provides more image consistenecy but the desire to make TV as thin as possible, most manufacturers have gone side lit.

Next, where will the TV be ? If it is going to be in the living room, at least 42", and that's the max for bedroom.

What type, and how many interfaces you need. You need to count how many devices you already have now and how many more you will be adding in the near future. Eg, how many HDMI, USD, eternet, legacy ports, DVI, VGA...etc

Brands. Everyone will have their favorites. Like it or not, Samsung is the defacto leader in flat TV, and very strong in LED, and also the first to launch new technologies, even other jap manufacturers such as Sony buy the LED panels from Samsung. Panasonic is very strong in Plamsa, and most value for money, and some models are asembled in Singapore.

So bro/sis, which brand and size would be recommended? And is it better to wait for the upcoming PC Show in June?

My budget is below $900.

July is the Great SIngapore Sale, and Philips will also have their annual warehouse sale during this period.

Not sure with budget like $900 how big can it be? Sure will not get 55". :cry:

For $900, you can definitely get a 42" LCD with change or a 42" Plasma with alot more change. I believe you can get a 42" LED of a lower specs for this amount.

for me. i will be just fine with a big even bigger tv!

i just use the tv for normal tv channels , "dvds". have not try blueray.

so no no i do not need a smart tv or 3d screen. i dont watch soccer but i juz love to watch movies with surround system. (nowdays hdb getting smaller so a normal hifi is loud n deep enough)

juz need a big screen. have a 42 inch plasma but would love to try even bigger then that in 2 years time.

Sent from my GT-P1000

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

Okay, this is my experience. Plasma give you the best quality and very good fast moving images. Problem is consume alot of energy and after a few years, the picture will degrade badly. Its not as cheap as LCD.

LED give you the best power savings but damn expensive. LCD is in the middle in terms of power savings. Probably the cheapest.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

Okay, this is my experience. Plasma give you the best quality and very good fast moving images. Problem is consume alot of energy and after a few years, the picture will degrade badly. Its not as cheap as LCD.

LED give you the best power savings but damn expensive. LCD is in the middle in terms of power savings. Probably the cheapest.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

my plasma is a hot tv man. hot . . .it warms up my small room

lcd, if buy below 200hz. damn it look like everyting has a "shadow" following it.

led. no comments but i did saw below $1k led tv.

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

Bro Demon, thanks for the insight... Sth to look at about the back and side lit... Is there a way to find out or need to check from Staff (i.e. Maybe Staff may not be aware too lol). It's actually for the living room... Mostly it will only be used for TV or MIO, perhaps DVD once in a while... Looks like SAMSUNG is good to be the first option to choose from when price is right..

July is the Great SIngapore Sale, and Philips will also have their annual warehouse sale during this period.

GSS should starts end of May and throughout the month of June (if not mistaken). Any comment on Phillip TV then bro? Where is the wareshouse sales for Philip?

For $900, you can definitely get a 42" LCD with change or a 42" Plasma with alot more change. I believe you can get a 42" LED of a lower specs for this amount.

Since LED is the latest Technology and Energy savings, it should be ideal.

for me. i will be just fine with a big even bigger tv!

i just use the tv for normal tv channels , "dvds". have not try blueray.

so no no i do not need a smart tv or 3d screen. i dont watch soccer but i juz love to watch movies with surround system. (nowdays hdb getting smaller so a normal hifi is loud n deep enough)

juz need a big screen. have a 42 inch plasma but would love to try even bigger then that in 2 years time.

Sent from my GT-P1000

Not a hardcore movie watcher at home, still prefer go to cinema and watch, BEST...

Now is really consumers market, so many options to choose from... Spoil with choice

hehe ya, LED bah.. Ultimately TV is for long run, and Energy in SG is not cheap.. so hahaha...

plasma is hot and eat electric but graphic is better in term of pixel, led is gd in graphic as well as saving electric.. lcd is gd in saving electric but graphic lose to led.

r3tr0

Sounds like Plasma is ideal for those living in COLD country. Given the fact SG is humid and hot.. bleah...

Any comment on Phillip TV then bro?

Bought my Philips 42" led tv for $1499 at their annual sale last year. There were cheaper led tv of the same size. There were some bells and whistles in the model I bought and it was closest to my budget.

It has this ambience light feature which makes watching tv in the dark without straining your eyes.

It's almost a year, and I feel my decision was rational but I wouldn't regret if I had gone for Samsung which was slightly cheaper for one with similar specs.

This tv is mainly used for watching tv, occasionally watching blue-ray, and once a blue moon playing games. It can playback pics and videos directly from a thumb drive or connect to My Computer via ethernet.

Took more than 6 months to research but less than 6 mins to decide. :)

Where is the wareshouse sales for Philip?

It's always at their office in Toa Payoh

Yeah, the LED tv is damn nice to play games. My bro plugged in his Dante's inferno on the LED tv at home and we spent the whole day judging souls in the afterlife. The graphics damn nice la... Very clear...

If you plug in SCV, make sure you choose the best resolution, but it could be better la. If you plug in blue ray, like showroom like that. Super clear.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

wah. so how much should one put aside if one to buy a 60inch led tv? wow!

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

I think mine is 50 plus inch. It cost neark 5k. Bought it in late 2010. Now the prices all damn cheap. But really, if 60 inch i think too big. My 50 plus inch, i think its 50 plus, its already damn big.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

my 42 inch still have not release my urge yet.

so i guess in time to come price will decrease. comfirm. a lots of older models selling cheap.

i will still wanna get hold of a 60 inch tv. that for sure.

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda cbr 600 rr

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e