SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Approval of self imported aftermarket exhaust

Hydher

Even though the manufacturer has certified it legal and you have the certificate and emission test results, the inspection centre still need the local distributor stamp and letter. They won't conduct the test if you don't have this

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

You can get the emission test done at bukit batok Viacom centre. Have to put your bike with installed exhaust for 3 days. Cost of the test is $2000. I got ask all this.

Yap, same thing from LTA when I when to ask how to get the test done.

My GPR exhaust bought from UK got no test done. Even though it got the EC cert.

How did you get JCMA or Dekra to give you the test results?

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

all prices for aftermarket dealers chopping us.. blame the Lta for their greed and this greed is spread to the dealers that selling double or triple the price..

current bikes: NSR 250 PGM4, HRC CBR 1k & SYM GTS200

Cars :KIA CERATO H/B(05-09)

Bikes:Ypvs 125(90-92),NSR PGM 2(92-93),MBX 125(93-94)

TZr250(94-95),GSXR 400sp(95-98),Aprilia Extrema(96-98), Fireblade 400(98-00),RXZ(98-00),RVF400(00-02), Dalim magma(00-02),RXZ(00-01) Krr150(00-03),R6(02-05),Wave(03-05),125z(03-05),RXZ(08),DRZ SM(06-08)VTR SP1(08-11)Phantom 200(08-10),Fz1s(11-13)

• 1 month later...

I think it depends more on when your bike was released. If your bike is a more recent model that is EC3 compliant then you MUST have an EC3 compliant exhaust. Meaning the exhaust must be certified to the same level or higher as the vehicle was originally.

In my case I have an old 2002 model Ducati which is only EC certified but the exhaust is EC3 certified so fingers crossed all goes ok as the new exhaust is certified to a higher level than the bike and original equipment were.

Silent Hunter - I mailed the GPR factory directly, if it states that the exhaust is EC/EC2/EC3 certified on their webpage for that particular model of bike then they will have a homologation certificate given for type approval. They should be able to email you a scanned copy of this and you should have received a hard copy in the box with your exhaust.

This should be the case as long as the particular part you bought is listed on their website as compliant to a certain standard for use on a particular model of bike.

Sometimes you just need to know exactly what to ask for I think as there is a bit of language barrier between the Italian speaking factory and us as the consumers here in Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I am confused after reading the whole thread is regarding the dealer stamp. If I don't buy the approved exhaust from the local distributor, then LTA will definitely not approve it? What logic is this....

I am planning to import the akrapovic exhaust myself, so can anyone confirm the above? thanks

---------A LIFE IN THE FAST LANE! ------->

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

The only thing I am confused after reading the whole thread is regarding the dealer stamp. If I don't buy the approved exhaust from the local distributor, then LTA will definitely not approve it? What logic is this....

I am planning to import the akrapovic exhaust myself, so can anyone confirm the above? thanks

dun bother trying. inspection center will not do inspection so long no letter from local distributor.

which IMHO, is bullshit.

LTA will only inspect, IF the brand is not carried by local dealer, and you have all the paperworks on-hand.

and when i say paperworks, it's not just the certificate.

http://www.helpryans.com/images/banner1.gif
Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

dun bother trying. inspection center will not do inspection so long no letter from local distributor.

which IMHO, is bullshit.

LTA will only inspect, IF the brand is not carried by local dealer, and you have all the paperworks on-hand.

and when i say paperworks, it's not just the certificate.

How about if I buy the approved exhaust from overseas distributor, e.g. Europe or Malaysia, of Akrapovic and the invoice states that they are the authorised distributor? Got chance or not?

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

Your best bet is to write directly to LTA. While the initial reply may be negative, upon proper reasonable appeal, LTA may agree to you importing an approved exhaust from an overseas distributor. The chances are not that bad, and emailing doesn't cost you a cent. If you manage to get LTA to agree, try to ask them for a letter for you to bring to the inspection center, or at least print the email and bring along.

From my previous correspondence with LTA, they are not unreasonable and may actually accept your appeal, especially if it has no impact on the technical aspect of the exhaust itself.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

Your best bet is to write directly to LTA. While the initial reply may be negative, upon proper reasonable appeal, LTA may agree to you importing an approved exhaust from an overseas distributor. The chances are not that bad, and emailing doesn't cost you a cent. If you manage to get LTA to agree, try to ask them for a letter for you to bring to the inspection center, or at least print the email and bring along.

From my previous correspondence with LTA, they are not unreasonable and may actually accept your appeal, especially if it has no impact on the technical aspect of the exhaust itself.

Thanks bro. It's definitely worth a shot. I will update on the progress again.

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

highly unlikely as it will open the floodgate for online exhaust purchase.

LTA will only entertain IF the brand is not carried by local dealers, and it conforms to all the specifications.

else, they will just refer you back to the local dealer to have the letter and stamp before proceeding with the updating in VITAS.

Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

LTA has a self import procedure. Basically they need the exhaust certificate, schematic diagram of the exhaust, picture of the exhaust fitted to the bike, emission test and sound test. The tricky part is to get the emission and sound test result. For akrapovic, the only way is to get them is through the local distributor here. I tried my luck asking the local distributor here and they quote me $200 for the test results. That plus the LTA fee for self import.

LTA has a self import procedure. Basically they need the exhaust certificate, schematic diagram of the exhaust, picture of the exhaust fitted to the bike, emission test and sound test. The tricky part is to get the emission and sound test result. For akrapovic, the only way is to get them is through the local distributor here. I tried my luck asking the local distributor here and they quote me $200 for the test results. That plus the LTA fee for self import.

LTA will only entertain walk-ins for BRANDS not carried by local distributors.

Major brands like LV, Akra, Yoshi, Scorpion, Giannelle, moriwaki, etc.. LTA will not entertain you so long you dun have the letter and company stamp from local distributor.

And factory will not release emission and sound test results simply over email to consumers.

LTA will only entertain walk-ins for BRANDS not carried by local distributors.

Major brands like LV, Akra, Yoshi, Scorpion, Giannelle, moriwaki, etc.. LTA will not entertain you so long you dun have the letter and company stamp from local distributor.

And factory will not release emission and sound test results simply over email to consumers.

As I've said, it doesn't cost you anything to write in to LTA to justify your case. All this doom and gloom is of no help. We already know that the authorities don't like to make exceptions. What we are trying to figure out is how to maximize our chances of getting an exception.

As I've said, it doesn't cost you anything to write in to LTA to justify your case. All this doom and gloom is of no help. We already know that the authorities don't like to make exceptions. What we are trying to figure out is how to maximize our chances of getting an exception.

many have tried, and that's the same answer LTA will give.

brands which local distributors are carrying, LTA will not make any exceptions. you can whine and request this and that with LTA, or even escalate to MP, LTA bottomline is still the same.

no letter and company stamp from local distributor = no inspection and VITAS update.

many have tried, and that's the same answer LTA will give.

brands which local distributors are carrying, LTA will not make any exceptions. you can whine and request this and that with LTA, or even escalate to MP, LTA bottomline is still the same.

no letter and company stamp from local distributor = no inspection and VITAS update.

The "bottom line" you mentioned, if it is true, can be challenged.

The real bottom line is that LTA's mandate is to regulate land transport. It has no business in protecting the local distributors. Thus, if they refuse to approve an exhaust system based solely on the fact that it was not purchased from a local distributor, they are acting Ultra Vires (acting beyond their mandate) and can be legally challenged. You write in to the AGC, not your MP. I'd also copy the correspondence to MTI as it is bordering on trade protection, which could be against some FTA that Singapore has with the US or EU.

If you have a good case, patience and perseverance, you can literally take LTA (or any government agency for that matter) to legal review with AGC and win.

How do I know? I work in the public service (not LTA) in a planning and policy position. I've seen similar cases. The government is made up of normal people and they are not always right. They are also more reasonable than most people portray them to be.

The real bottom line is that LTA's mandate is to regulate land transport. It has no business in protecting the local distributors. Thus, if they refuse to approve an exhaust system based solely on the fact that it was not purchased from a local distributor, they are acting Ultra Vires (acting beyond their mandate) and can be legally challenged. You write in to the AGC, not your MP. I'd also copy the correspondence to MTI as it is bordering on trade protection, which could be against some FTA that Singapore has with the US or EU.

If you have a good case, patience and perseverance, you can literally take LTA (or any government agency for that matter) to legal review with AGC and win.

How do I know? I work in the public service (not LTA) in a planning and policy position. I've seen similar cases. The government is made up of normal people and they are not always right. They are also more reasonable than most people portray them to be.

of course it is possible, but would the time and effort for all that, be justifiable for a savings of $2-300?

most, if not all of us here, already given up on LTA with regards to their stupid policies.

in short, most of the restrictions set by LTA on approved(TUV, EC, JMCA, etc) aftermarket modifications, are just plain BS to me.

and yes, they are reasonable people no doubt, but many a times, they are simply bounded by red-tapes set by the scholars up there. will they stand up for you and challenge the red-tapes for you? i seriously doubt so.

Bro, I do agreed with you on bringing this up to AGC. Who knows what else could be discover if they dig into this deeper and find something else. It is really strange that only in Singapore the LTA doesn't recognize the certificate even though it is legalized without a local distributor stamp and letter.

The only issue is now bikers like me doesn't have the necessary knowledge and know-how to bring this up to AGC. Can anybody help us? I just feel that the procedures of self-import are unfair to bikers and pro-business minded

I've done it before - Akra on a BMW in 2010. You need to get the emissions test report for the exhaust for your bike model. If you cant get it here, try your luck writing to the manufacturer of the exhaust and ask for it. Doesnt matter if the exhaust has been tested here before.

I understand the most brands are already carried by local distributors. But the local distributor does not bring in all models of an exhaust brand.

Using GPR as an example, the local agent is not importing the appropriate pipes for KTM Duke 390. So can I still try to get the appropriate pipe approved via LTA?

highly unlikely as it will open the floodgate for online exhaust purchase.

LTA will only entertain IF the brand is not carried by local dealers, and it conforms to all the specifications.

else, they will just refer you back to the local dealer to have the letter and stamp before proceeding with the updating in VITAS.

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR