SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

BMW vs Ducati repair cost/maintenance

ssk

hi all, would like go know if it is bmw or ducati less costly to repair and maintenance.

PPl has been telling me that jap bikes are much cheaper in terms of maintenance compare to euro bike, are they really much cheaper than euro bike ? 30% or 50%.

Can't service the bike else where in stead of going to the local agent?

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, would like go know if it is bmw or ducati less costly to repair and maintenance.

PPl has been telling me that jap bikes are much cheaper in terms of maintenance compare to euro bike, are they really much cheaper than euro bike ? 30% or 50%.

Thanks

I ride a ducati 1098s and for regular servicing, it's comparable and same as normal jap bikes.

Chain, spockets, brakes, oil change and etc, all these are similar as any other bikes make.

Minerva (Ducati agent) charges 1 hour $60 for labour but I'm sure you can find alternative places to service ducati which charge lesser.

Only full servicing every 12k, 24k, 36k (timing belt and etc), I will go back to them and these are kind of expensive, approximately $800-1k or more. But like I said, you don't need to do this often.

If u're patience in one moment of anger, u will avoid 100 days of sorrow.

Thanks

if u need to ask, u cant afford......wait til u can feed them.

right now, u just need to use b.m.w. (bus, mrt, walk) n save $$$.

its not the maintenance, its the breakdown tat will break ur bank.

Thanks

Simple changes, part availability will be time consuming and incur extra charges.

Simple routine maintainance not so.

If you crash the bike and its your fault, hell costly and a long time to ship it over

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

I ride a ducati 1098s and for regular servicing, it's comparable and same as normal jap bikes.

Chain, spockets, brakes, oil change and etc, all these are similar as any other bikes make.

Minerva (Ducati agent) charges 1 hour $60 for labour but I'm sure you can find alternative places to service ducati which charge lesser.

Only full servicing every 12k, 24k, 36k (timing belt and etc), I will go back to them and these are kind of expensive, approximately $800-1k or more. But like I said, you don't need to do this often.

U mean each servicing is 800-1k for every 12k? That is expensive 😰

U mean each servicing is 800-1k for every 12k? That is expensive ������

a lot of works are being done and that explained why it is expensive. what is cheap in singapore? :(

here's a website for some read up on the list of servicing done.

http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/routine-ducati-servicing.htm

a lot of works are being done and that explained why it is expensive. what is cheap in singapore? :(

here's a website for some read up on the list of servicing done.

http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/routine-ducati-servicing.htm

Anyway, I have uploaded a list of services to be done at the recommended intervals.

service01.jpgservice02.jpgservice03.jpgservice04.jpg

Why this ducati so expensive ? For jap bike it's much cheaper to maintain. I giving up the ideal to own one 800-1k every 12k forget it.

I just check ducati periodic maintenance is the same as yamaha. But I dont go spent so much on these maintenance. I guess BMW should be around the same cost too.

Edited by ssk

aiya,exp bike only for rich ppl la

only minor of them(who own these type of exp bike) down installment and ride off

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

All bikes normal maintenance are the same. Except parts replacement for some brands are not as cheap. Jap bikes are more forgiving when it comes to major servicing like valve timing. All you need to know is where to source for affordable parts where they don't marked up the prices. Ducati is exceptionally more expensive to own cos their valve servicing is critical. BMW, triumph, Honda, yamaha, all more or less similar.

All bikes normal maintenance are the same. Except parts replacement for some brands are not as cheap. Jap bikes are more forgiving when it comes to major servicing like valve timing. All you need to know is where to source for affordable parts where they don't marked up the prices. Ducati is exceptionally more expensive to own cos their valve servicing is critical. BMW, triumph, Honda, yamaha, all more or less similar.

I see, that means BMW, triumph, and all jap bike repair cost almost the same expect for ducati. I guess it much cheaper to own a BMW than ducati.

I see, that means BMW, triumph, and all jap bike repair cost almost the same expect for ducati. I guess it much cheaper to own a BMW than ducati.

I suppose in a way cos Ducati has that valve timing belt and all to look after and it's critical to Desmo valves. BMW has an electronic system that force you to go for servicing haha but still got some leeway. It's hard to say repair cost are the same as parts for different brand will be diff. I'm just saying that if you talk about normal maintenance like engine oil, air filter, spark plug, coolant flush, tires, doubt very big different. Certain things like chain and sprockets you can go for after market which might just be cheaper than oem and as long it fits your bike, it fits.

Thing to consider is just major servicing and oem part replacements. My advice is just do your handwork on where to source for affordable parts and when you need part replacement (just order in advance so you wont be caught by suprised) and what is involve in major servicing. I was eyeing either triumph, BMW or Ducati but Ducati needs too much pampering and triumph parts are hard to come by. My uncle rides a BMW and knows where to get things and I suppose it's a compromise and got a BMW :)

Of course also bear in mind your income and how much COI you can afford haha. Stay to your budget and once you have your bike, it be at least another 12000km for you to plan for your servicing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is seriously hard to do a comparison between the bikes.

For preventive maintenance, my GS1150 is actually cheaper than the Japanese sportsbike I used to ride.

4L of mineral oil plus an oil filter that works out to be about $60.00 (DIY) at every 6 months interval or 10,000km. Spark plug to be changed once a year or every 20,000km which costs $7.00 (2 plugs). Since the bike runs on shaft, there is no requirement for sprocket and chain replacement. Gear oil change at every 40,000km or once every 2 years (

Hmmm i tink its almost the same if u own a class 2 bike. M also tinking of buying a ducati or a kawasaki. M taking into. consideration the servicing cost. Used to own an r1. For the normal servicing like changing oil n stuff i tink its more or less the same? Correct me of i am wrong. Hmm its just wen it comes to the major servicing like valve clearance n timing belt ting. Cost me above 900 plus. Cant remember well. Hmm. A price to pay for playing with big bikes. Hahah. My 2 cents bro

Just BEcause I fOllOw The speed LIMIT DoesnT mEan i am slow!!

• 1 month later...

I used to own a BMW and initially when I started sending my bike to service, the prices of the spares were reasonable (just a tad higher than japanese spares). Bad thing is some of the mechanics there are pretty useless but because they were 'trained' and have their special diagnostic tools, there wasn't much of a choice. Once they add on their 'labour' charges and bullshit service protocols that makes them do unnecessary services, the bill goes way up. If their workmanship were tip top I wouldn't mind paying that premium, sadly that isn't the case. Every service I did, I had to always go back because they screw up something.

Then some years back, the euro started to climb against the local currency the company decided that they needed to increase the prices to 'match' the euro making their vehicles and spares become expensive compared to other places. But when the euro fell quite a bit from its high days, the prices were never lowered to match the local currency because they're all greedy bus1/3s.

Lol pros and cons of agent vs PI. I'm loving my bmw now, yes basic maintenance can be DIY but I lack the tools and place for now. Don't mind trying though. I just send them to my usual shop for basic stuff which in most cases what most bikes need. No different. Parts and consumables might be more than normal for more exotic brands but when there is a will, there is a way and somehow you can source for something cheaper and perhaps even better.

Though base case for me ducs are the most pain in the butt to maintain. Haha turned me off from getting a monster

i have pmed you

I also want I also want hahaha....

Please.... Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------

2003-2005 Honda SP 150 , 2007-2008 Honda Super 4 vS

2010- 2012 Yamaha TW200, 2012- 2013 Honda CB550K

2013- 2013 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S ,2014- 2016 : Yamaha Tmax 530 ABS, 2016 - 2016 : Ducati Streetfighter S

2016 - now : Ducati Diavel Cromo, 2017 - 2018 : Yamaha XJR1300, 2018 - now : Vespa GTS 300