SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

I need help..

kimmyqiqi

Hi everyone, I'm new here as I needed some advice regarding first time purchase of a motorcycle.

I plan to purchase one for my loved one who is currently undergoing his training for a license and I'm pretty much clueless as to the procedures or do's & don'ts of buying a bike. My main question is.. Is it possible for me to buy a bike without a license as I plan to buy one as a surprise gift for him and how do I go about financing this purchase if this is even possible?

Please advice. 

49 minutes ago, kimmyqiqi said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here as I needed some advice regarding first time purchase of a motorcycle.

I plan to purchase one for my loved one who is currently undergoing his training for a license and I'm pretty much clueless as to the procedures or do's & don'ts of buying a bike. My main question is.. Is it possible for me to buy a bike without a license as I plan to buy one as a surprise gift for him and how do I go about financing this purchase if this is even possible?

Please advice. 

Short Answer : Yes, you can buy aka pay for the bike first. But the ownership and insurance will only be to your loved one or  love one. You cannot own a bike before getting a license. 

TLDR: 

Buying a used bike,  you can do a "Layup" with the bike shop meaning the bike would be parked in the shop and cannot be used on the road until its removed from that status which is when he gets his license. So this bike is like showpiece at this moment. Bad thing about this is while the bike is on layup status the COE is still running. so if he doesn't pass soon the clock will keep ticking. 

Buying a new bike would be almost the same except you just don't get a license plate number until its registered officially. 

Banks and bike shops would probably do the financing for you if you are able to provide them your finance situation. 

My 2 cents:

Unless you are very sure what bike he wants after he passes the test you might wanna just surprise him by buying it for him on the spot when he decides. Getting a bike can be a big headache especially 2nd hands as there are many things to consider and look out for. 

All the best! hope he pass soon!

Edited by Siphon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Siphon said:

Short Answer : Yes, you can buy aka pay for the bike first. But the ownership and insurance will only be to your loved one or  love one. You cannot own a bike before getting a license. 

TLDR: 

Buying a used bike,  you can do a "Layup" with the bike shop meaning the bike would be parked in the shop and cannot be used on the road until its removed from that status which is when he gets his license. So this bike is like showpiece at this moment. Bad thing about this is while the bike is on layup status the COE is still running. so if he doesn't pass soon the clock will keep ticking. 

Buying a new bike would be almost the same except you just don't get a license plate number until its registered officially. 

Banks and bike shops would probably do the financing for you if you are able to provide them your finance situation. 

My 2 cents:

Unless you are very sure what bike he wants after he passes the test you might wanna just surprise him by buying it for him on the spot when he decides. Getting a bike can be a big headache especially 2nd hands as there are many things to consider and look out for. 

All the best! hope he pass soon!

Thank you for the advice! 

Do correct me if I am wrong, basically whether it's a secondhand or a new bike, I would still be actively paying for the COE until the bike can be officially on the roads right?

12 hours ago, kimmyqiqi said:

Do correct me if I am wrong, basically whether it's a secondhand or a new bike, I would still be actively paying for the COE until the bike can be officially on the roads right?

When buying a new motorcycle COE is registered to the bike and it will go from that date and expire 10 years later. 

If you're getting a used motorcycle you can check its current COE expiry date from the seller. 

What's a great life, without a great ride? 

Follow us on Social Media!

Facebook: /tri333ple

Youtube: /tri333ple

Instagram: @tri333ple

For business enquiries: Email: [email protected]

On 3/1/2021 at 1:21 AM, kimmyqiqi said:

100% true if you buy a used bike and have it under "lay up".

For the new bike, you may be able to workout a deal with the dealership to hold off getting the COE until he is about to take the test or after he passed. Usually they take about 3 days to process the COE if they have some on hand. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone has already answered your question, but can i just say that your loved one is a really lucky guy. Hope he's got the license by now and that you both have safe and great times on the road!

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 5/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, dwh12 said:

Everyone has already answered your question, but can i just say that your loved one is a really lucky guy. Hope he's got the license by now and that you both have safe and great times on the road!

@dwh12 I also hope someone can surprise me with a motorcycle.. LOL!