SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Technical - Spark Plugs

riDerz

which sparkplug is the best?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. which sparkplug is the best?

• ngk
    • denso
    • ows

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

theres some difference but its not those huge increase in performance... just adding abit of smoothness in ur bike... its said tat iridum sparkplug can burn better thus better combustion & it lasts longer then normal plugs.

as for chain wash... it helps to prolong ur chain's life. For mi, usually after chain wash the bike feels more smooth.

then pay 400% more for a plug ?

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif

Originally posted by hachi@Feb 22 2005, 04:54 PM

then pay 400% more for a plug ?

iridium plugs' lifespan hav abt 2 or 3 times more then normal. Abt same lah if u add up end of the day. iridium plugs $16-18/plug normal plugs $4-$8 ??

Normal plug $4.50 at FJT.

Normal plugs last around 20000km. But a year of riding with high mileage.

Then those with iridium plugs riders did u all really decide to change plugs after 3 years.

I guess not, right and no noticeable perforamce gain.

And after a plugs change even with normal plugs u will the bike a bit lively. SO is really hard to justify the claim unless someone dyno tested it in Singapore.

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif

Originally posted by Turbo08@Feb 22 2005, 04:58 PM

iridium plugs' lifespan hav abt 2 or 3 times more then normal. Abt same lah if u add up end of the day. iridium plugs $16-18/plug normal plugs $4-$8 ??

actually was told tat after awhile the plug will b like a normal plug, meaning maybe after 5km, the power is gone.....gt a fren who use it b4....in the end he still stick to original plug....

No Time To Think Of One

Originally posted by hachi@Feb 22 2005, 06:46 PM

Then those with iridium plugs riders did u all really decide to change plugs after 3 years.

i knew someone will say tis but wat i can say is usually i change it before it dies off just to satisfy my "desire" for power. Im one who dun like to wait until problems come up till rectify, so i always change my stuff early.

Originally posted by [V]tec@Feb 22 2005, 08:01 PM

actually was told tat after awhile the plug will b like a normal plug, meaning maybe after 5km, the power is gone.....gt a fren who use it b4....in the end he still stick to original plug....

i heard abt tis too... anyway using iridium plugs is just an extra boost tat im looking for. just like some ppl like to pump vpower instead of 98... hope u noe wat i mean...

personally, I think there are some difference.

when I switched from normal NGK plugs to the platium ones, can see the difference in terms of fuel comsumption, slightly more responsive pick up.

i read that a good sparkplug is one that can produce a strong and powerful spark. This is essential for a more complete combustion in the engine, resulting in high fuel efficiency.

just take the senario of a dirty plug, after each engine cycle, the gases are discharged, but the fuel/air mixture may not have fully burnt to as a result of the weak spark. that's when you will really feel the difference.

however, in a day to day situation where you hardly notice it as it might be just a few percent losses. but in the long run, it's significant.

i also pump v-power. result, really cleaner engine, more mileage and more responsive pick up. to name some gains, my engine oil are clean and last longer, you get the responsive pick up. that to me, really make the money all worhwhile...

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7720/dsc00157a.jpg

All Must Work Hard!

i guess, when these companies come out with the up market products, there must be some difference with their other products. To comsumer, it is a matter of paying for the item that matches your spending profile...

All Must Work Hard!

Originally posted by kennethy@Feb 23 2005, 01:43 AM

i read that a good sparkplug is one that can produce a strong and powerful spark. This is essential for a more complete combustion in the engine, resulting in high fuel efficiency.

Have u read the case of a certain high performance plugs that supposedly popped a hole in the piston of some bikes due to higher detonation ?

I feel that a higher power detonation will not aid much to the fuel consumption or power output but rather the consistancy at which the sparks are produced.

As plugs get fouled over time, this consistancy falls and thus the plugs looses the ability to effectively burn fuel.

Cheers !

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/photo-3088.gif

Guest oddyseus
Originally posted by [V]tec@Feb 22 2005, 07:58 PM

this kind of plug is more suitable for high rev bikes.....however in sg we seldom do tat so juz stick to the normal ones will do......

I agree, i think these higher end ( if they really are) plugs are meant for higher performance machines. Daily workhorse bikes like the s4 could probably run on anything...:cheeky: :sweat:

Originally posted by S4Sixty@Feb 23 2005, 02:25 AM

Have u read the case of a certain high performance plugs that supposedly popped a hole in the piston of some bikes due to higher detonation ?

I feel that a higher power detonation will not aid much to the fuel consumption or power output but rather the consistancy at which the sparks are produced.

As plugs get fouled over time, this consistancy falls and thus the plugs looses the ability to effectively burn fuel.

i heard tat b4... a too powerful plug can cause a hole in the piston head... but if tunning wise is being done up gd, will tat still happen ??

For mi, i felt ONLY ABIT in better fuel consumption & power gain. My mechanic once told mi tat, if by installing a $60 over spark plugs can result in a huge power gain then other business in tis trade will go bankrupt already. So dun expect too much...

As plugs get fouled over time ?? how long u consider the overtime ?? b4 i went up malacca, i used the iridium plugs for 20k km b4 changing. I saw the condition of the used plugs & asked the mechanic hows the condition... He said can still use for abt 10k provided i continue using tis tunning setup. I compared between the new & used plugs, only difference is... the used plugs got thinner a little bit... I was thinking abit waste if i change but since i going touring so i just changed for a peace of mind.

Originally posted by Turbo08@Feb 23 2005, 09:49 AM

I saw the condition of the used plugs & asked the mechanic hows the condition... He said can still use for abt 10k provided i continue using tis tunning setup.

Wah ! ur mechanic so good huh !

Look at the plug can tell it's life span ! :faint:

Originally posted by S4Sixty@Feb 23 2005, 11:50 AM

Wah ! ur mechanic so good huh !

Look at the plug can tell it's life span ! :faint:

hes experienced mah... anyway he just estimating from the tip being used up... since u r an experienced rider urself, im sure u hav seen or heard of ppl by seeing the way the plugs been burnt can tell alot of things abt the bike like tunning etc... Or am i wrong in saying tat ??

Originally posted by Turbo08@Feb 23 2005, 01:24 PM

by seeing the way the plugs been burnt can tell alot of things abt the bike like tunning etc

This part is correct.

By observing the plugs u can determine the lean/rich ratio of the air-fuel mixture.

But u can't determine the lifespan of the plugs !

Cheers !

Originally posted by S4Sixty@Feb 23 2005, 02:50 PM

This part is correct.

By observing the plugs u can determine the lean/rich ratio of the air-fuel mixture.

But u can't determine the lifespan of the plugs !

Cheers !

hana... i noe cannot determine the lifespan of the plug but wat i meant was the mechanic said the plugs can still be used no need to change so early. :sian:

never really know that sparkplugs can burn a hole in the piston... kind of scary but i guess those are like to be compounded by other factors as the manufacturers would have extensively tested them before releasing it to the market.

cos if any damage cost by their sparkplugs will not only cause them the reputation, but legal lawsuits... certainly think they will not risk it esp when their business depends on it.

getting old so forgetting where I read it, but there are other desirable properties of a high end sparkplugs such as lower electrical resistance and of course, more consistant sparks. lower electrical resistance will translate to less load on your batt as well as stable combustion when operating at high (engine) temperature...

I guess the co-relation is like using mineral, semi or full-synthese EO... one choose with his eyes open on what you want to pay verse what you will get in return.

All Must Work Hard!

Originally posted by kennethy@Feb 24 2005, 01:48 AM

I guess the co-relation is like using mineral, semi or full-synthese EO... one choose with his eyes open on what you want to pay verse what you will get in return.

Guess so, cuz some bike manufacturers actully reccomend using mineral oils for the bikes.

After all, they are the ones who manufactured them.

So followinging their advice, wouldn't set u off far to behind.

Same thing for plugs.

Manual says use Iridium....use Iridium lah !

Say use normal, use normal lah.

Cheers !

Guest oddyseus
Originally posted by [V]tec@Feb 24 2005, 10:41 AM

bottomline is, those ppl who r rich will change to lacing plug, pump vpower to get tat xtra boost.....for poor ppl like mi will use normal plug, pump 98 or 95(when realli poor) :cheer:

still the most important factor....the rider himself..... bo skill add simi sh*t also juz a slow rider.....:smile:

:faint: :thumb: