SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Q&A] Bike Rental

marcopolo

I'm planning a "hop onto the local bus" trip round malaysia in dec.

I've ever seen caucasian backpacker renting bikes when i was last in penang....

i never forget the drive round the island....so revitalising!

anyone know where i can rent bikes when in penang?

thanks!

joe

You have travelled to places others have not ventured....You read books that others have never heard of....You see humour in unusual places. And you've always gone your own way. Why, then, should you ride a bike that's like all the rest?

when you travel, you experience, in a very practical way, the ART of reBIRTH

a r t o f r e b i r t h . b l o g s p o t . c o m

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe,

Look for Uncle Quah (Mr Quah Hock Leong, tel. 012 427 3992).Seagate Anchorage,

please call beforehand to book .Mostly cruisers.

Bus no 66 or 69 can bring u there.

OR

Famous Chulia Street in Georgetown area or Batu Ferringhi.(Tourist rental. not sure abt the bike, guess its cubs.)

backpacked Penang before. the above info aged 2yrs.

thanks dude!

i dun need a fancy shinny cruiser to go round penang...a honda cub is fine!

do you know the charges?

joe

You have travelled to places others have not ventured....You read books that others have never heard of....You see humour in unusual places. And you've always gone your own way. Why, then, should you ride a bike that's like all the rest?

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys for the advise

i managed to get a cub for 30bucks, and dat's for a 24hour rental!

i pump in 5 bucks of petrol but after travelled 100km..it's not even half used....

a round island ride in penang is a must!

joe

ps: latest trip pics in my website...

• 2 weeks later...

yeah....the ride roung penang island is a MUST!

some parts reminds me of cameron highlands in fact!

this trip on the rented bike, we managed to explore the hill roads after the famous buddhist temple on the hill...it actually leads to the old dam and we rode past the barricade and we were pleasantly surprise to end up on the other side of the island, at balik pulau!

I would definitely ride there again either on my bike or on those rented cubs!

• 1 year later...

Rent Bike in Phuket

Anyone try before.. Heard that very dangerous to ride there.

I don't know it's because that they want us to rent their car instead or really accident rate for biker very high? Me going phuket soon, Wanna rent a bike there and go around.. any suggestion?

Anyone try before.. Heard that very dangerous to ride there.

I don't know it's because that they want us to rent their car instead or really accident rate for biker very high? Me going phuket soon, Wanna rent a bike there and go around.. any suggestion?

I've rent bike and car in Phuket before..

Dangerous?? If you mean those hills you need to overcome before reaching Patong Beach, yes.. a bit.. just drive/ride slow.. if you are going in a group, rent a car better.. anyways in Thailand, parking is free..

my ride: KSR with modded exhaust.. super fuel efficient, i rent it with my friend(wave125).. travelled the same distances, but i "play" a bit, good pickup!! I only pumped 1 bar(their barrel petrol), my friend pumped 3bars.. damage(if i've not remembered wrongly): 300baht for wave, 600B for KSR, 1000B and above for CL2 bikes..

My drive: Honda Fit(vtec).. clocked abt 140kph along one of the beaches.. As the appointed driver, cuz all no license, got license dun dare to drive, i drove all the way.. thru the hills, along the beaches.. Phuket got nice stretches of beaches.. damage: 1200B divided by 4 pax..

IMO, if a grp is going.. get a car, then maybe 1 or 2 bikes.. use bikes for short distances.. plan your itinerary properly, make sure you make FULL USE of the car and bike..

my itinerary:

day 1, reached noon.. check-in guest house.. rent bike.. buy slot for day 3's sea trip.. explore Patong by bike..

day 2, woke up early, go for breakfast, spa and rent bike.. explore Patong by bike.. go chiong with Thai friends at night..

day 3, go sea trip(nearly die because of storm).. came back in the evening, return bike..

day 4, rent car and explore Phuket till 3am..

day 5, return car.. Sleep, Slack, Spa..

Day 6, Gup Bahn!!

It's good if you know a bit of Thai..!! :cheeky:

I hope it helps..

Bro, riding there is just as dangerous as you are riding in sg or jb, abt the same. It's just that all the rental bikes have no insurance coverage so be very careful not to get into accident or you will have to pay for all damages yourself. It's this risky :p

Bro, riding there is just as dangerous as you are riding in sg or jb, abt the same. It's just that all the rental bikes have no insurance coverage so be very careful not to get into accident or you will have to pay for all damages yourself. It's this risky :p

no way it can be dangerous riding there

True.. there's no insurance coverage for you.. so if you kiasu, you may wanna check with your travel insurance whether they cover you for any rental vehicles..

it's all abt taking risks, just ride/drive safe..

True.. there's no insurance coverage for you.. so if you kiasu, you may wanna check with your travel insurance whether they cover you for any rental vehicles..

hi, i have rent Airblade n ride all the way to PhangNga n other places in Thailand but all u have to do is to ride just like the THAI ppl slow n steady not CRAZY youngster like there is no tomolo..... hope u will enjoy the ride there......

:cheeky:

fn328k.multiply.com/photos

Life is short, Ride hard..........

hi, i have rent Airblade n ride all the way to PhangNga n other places in Thailand but all u have to do is to ride just like the THAI ppl slow n steady not CRAZY youngster like there is no tomolo..... hope u will enjoy the ride there......

took thong krup!! Jai yen yen..

Thai police are actually quite friendly..

I've also rented a Airblade too in Krabi.. It's one of the nicest auto scooter, too bad SG dun bring in..

me tried too!! yamaha nouvo mx and wave 125. :smile: pretty fun experience, just go slow lor, i find it hard for my nouvo to go fast anyway. :cheeky:

Resolution for 2009, stay healthy, get wealthy, make more friends, ride safely & pass all exams!

me tried too!! yamaha nouvo mx and wave 125. :smile: pretty fun experience, just go slow lor, i find it hard for my nouvo to go fast anyway. :cheeky:

haha.. agreed.. the max speed for airblade i tried is abt 100kph on it's speedo.. quite scary at that speed despite that i clocked over 150kph on my way there..

maybe because it's light in weight..

took thong krup!! Jai yen yen..

Thai police are actually quite friendly..

I've also rented a Airblade too in Krabi.. It's one of the nicest auto scooter, too bad SG dun bring in..

Thai police just check ur Licences n will let u go so dun worry , the Airblade i rent only 300km on it la, but i rode it all the way to PhangNga at 80km/hr but izt a nice n slow ride, yamaha nouvo mx fuel is high, if u want cheap n good u must take Dream older of wave cheap n good :thumb: ,

But the Click is in Singapore maybe u can buy this also not bad ma...

Yea bro its safe la. Jus rent a wave or airblade can liao. Its easy to zip around Phuket. Can rent a bike along Patong Beach. One whole stretch of bike rentals. Cost is abt 150-200 Baht (7-10 Sing) per day.

If ur inexperienced rider, I suggest dun ride to Phuket Town cause need to go thru the "mountain". If really need to go there den go real slow, esp at the corners. Anyway Phuket Town not much to do also..

Ride safe bro..dun be like those farang (angmoh) think their big bike very "up" think they road devils.

Enjoy yr trip~ :cool:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/shasea09/Ruckus_white_camo.jpg

U might be a cunning linguist but I am a master debater

Thai police just check ur Licences n will let u go so dun worry , the Airblade i rent only 300km on it la, but i rode it all the way to PhangNga at 80km/hr but izt a nice n slow ride, yamaha nouvo mx fuel is high, if u want cheap n good u must take Dream older of wave cheap n good :thumb: ,

But the Click is in Singapore maybe u can buy this also not bad ma...

Nah.. just thinking of a nice auto-scooter as spare bike.. no hurry in getting one..

anyway, no Thai will realise that I'm S'porean, unless i tell them.. :angel:

Yea bro its safe la. Jus rent a wave or airblade can liao. Its easy to zip around Phuket. Can rent a bike along Patong Beach. One whole stretch of bike rentals. Cost is abt 150-200 Baht (7-10 Sing) per day.

If ur inexperienced rider, I suggest dun ride to Phuket Town cause need to go thru the "mountain". If really need to go there den go real slow, esp at the corners. Anyway Phuket Town not much to do also..

Ride safe bro..dun be like those farang (angmoh) think their big bike very "up" think they road devils.

Enjoy yr trip~ :cool:

just came back.... izzt ok to ride around the island so long u ride slow n steady can lioa....... the mountain is nothing.... to MSH........

:clap:

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for all your suggestion.. i come back without renting a bike there.

Personal view, i don't think the living there is cheap loh. many thing also very ex. i live around karon beach. went to patong beach once. prefer karon more because more quiet and cleaner sea. also less thai coming to you and ask you to buy their stuff.

on the last day, my check out timing is 12pm but my flight is 9pm. so i book a cab meter which provide city tour. bring me around phuket. cost me 1500bh. no bad. but can i check with you all something? i request the driver to bring me to a good seafood restaurant. so he bring me to a ulu place near phuket town. the ulu place is very ulu near sea like our punggol maria seafood restaurant which near the sea. the lobster i eat cost me 1400Baht. is it very ex? it's around 700g. to me, it's big and very tasty. only thing i don't like is alot of flies and the waiter there will ask for tips when i am going off. very scary..haha

Maybe its because you are living in the touristy area.

anyway, Phuket Island itself, is a total Tourist Trap, much like our Sentosa is to Singaporean.

Only difference is, there is people living in Phuket to service the tourists, so there is a substantial public services to the people there.

Phuket, is about the size of Singapore, with lessor population.

and I find it cheap living there. maybe because I was staying with family members there, at the Kon Sirey, which is a cheaper part of Phuket.

and transport, I got it covered by the accountant loaning/renting me her bike so I was technically the only female rider on that island, wearing full face helmet, wearing long sleeves and jeans on a Wave R.

i was also ferried to really nice local places to eat. Like halfway up the moutain to eat seafood. Only rich locals go there.

Then my stepmother brings me to shop at local night market bazaar, where everything, including pretty cute shoes like those available at charles & keith are sold for 99 baht, which is roughly wat....S$4/-

and we went to open air eat all you can seafood BBQ Steamboat buffet near to Kon Sirey for 100baht per person.

Phuket reminds me terribly of the 80s Singapore, where there is still kampungs amongst new sprout up Shopping Centre.

:cool: