SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Yamaha Dragstar 400 VS Honda Shadow Ace 400

SNapEl

haizz really can't wait to get a 400cc cruiser... actually what do you guys think? For a cruiser in SG 400cc enough?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4974036153_c36bbcded6.jpg

Life isn't all about one's self...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haizz really can't wait to get a 400cc cruiser... actually what do you guys think? For a cruiser in SG 400cc enough?

Hi hi...Brother SNapEl...what is ENOUGH?...enough is when u say it is...n what make u feel comfortable n satisfied...i started out with a 125cc n stuck with it 4 bout 8yrs n den upgraded 2 da class 2A but i didnt buy myself a 400cc bike coz frm der i went 2 upgrade 2 class 2 n bought a 1100cc cruiser...n it went up frm der...so, its up 2 u 2 say wen it is enough...

:cool:

Hi SNapEl

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you decide whether you intend to stop on a Class 2A cruiser or possibility to move on to a Class 2 cruiser? This can be a critical decision that will affect the size of your wallet and perhaps, drastically impact your life too.

To the contrary, I would advise your choice on a used motorcycle. The reason is simple. You won’t lose much value from a used motorcycle either thru trade-in or thru private sale. However, if you intention is finalizing your choice on a Class 2A cruiser for good, I would suggest getting a brand new piece which, would save you from many unexpected headaches.

In the market, you would probably come across Honda Shadow Ace, Yamaha Dragstar Classic and Suzuki Boulevard available in brand new piece. Among the three cruisers, each has its own pros and cons. A quick positive outlook as follows:

Honda Shadow Ace – Possibility to change the sizes of the front and rear sprockets for either better pick-up or better top speed (reduce Rpm too), liquid-cooled engine, trustworthy bullet-proof engine from the reliable Honda Japan.

Yamaha Dragstar Classic – Shaft driven ensure maintenance free, rider’s seat height is low, local agent service centre ‘Hong Leong’ ensure parts and accessories are readily available.

Suzuki Boulevard – Shaft driven ensure maintenance free, a huge 17 liters fuel tank size (Shadow Ace hold a 14 liters while, Dragstar Classic hold a 15 liters tank size), liquid-cooled engine, sport rims ensure repairing tire puncture is hassle free and easy.

Well, I reckon that conclude the positive information you required. If you have any query, do feel free to post in this thread again.

Cheers!

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Hi SNapEl

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you decide whether you intend to stop on a Class 2A cruiser or possibility to move on to a Class 2 cruiser? This can be a critical decision that will affect the size of your wallet and perhaps, drastically impact your life too.

To the contrary, I would advise your choice on a used motorcycle. The reason is simple. You won’t lose much value from a used motorcycle either thru trade-in or thru private sale. However, if you intention is finalizing your choice on a Class 2A cruiser for good, I would suggest getting a brand new piece which, would save you from many unexpected headaches.

In the market, you would probably come across Honda Shadow Ace, Yamaha Dragstar Classic and Suzuki Boulevard available in brand new piece. Among the three cruisers, each has its own pros and cons. A quick positive outlook as follows:

Honda Shadow Ace – Possibility to change the sizes of the front and rear sprockets for either better pick-up or better top speed (reduce Rpm too), liquid-cooled engine, trustworthy bullet-proof engine from the reliable Honda Japan.

Yamaha Dragstar Classic – Shaft driven ensure maintenance free, rider’s seat height is low, local agent service centre ‘Hong Leong’ ensure parts and accessories are readily available.

Suzuki Boulevard – Shaft driven ensure maintenance free, a huge 17 liters fuel tank size (Shadow Ace hold a 14 liters while, Dragstar Classic hold a 15 liters tank size), liquid-cooled engine, sport rims ensure repairing tire puncture is hassle free and easy.

Well, I reckon that conclude the positive information you required. If you have any query, do feel free to post in this thread again.

Cheers!

Hi hi...Brother Nights....WELL SAID and cheers to you my brother....I like the way you put across your opinions and advises....It's practical, technical at the same time and also a little bit of the financial consideration....I am certainly to SESOND your quotes my brother....

not exactly dragstar .. but u can see his bigger brothers here

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/

Yeah bro, they called it Midnight star 1300CC. Went there, saw and sat on the display set and regreted soon after. Regreted coz when I went back to my phantom, it felt so shrunk that thought someone changed it to a smaller one. Almost went to the guard and ask him "Abang who swoped my bike ah?

The midnight "guy" can leave one sleepless until midnight.

Yet words do no justice in describing it.

If you want to ruin your life the showroom is at Paya Lebar Rd, near the police building (plenty of Yamaha diversion by the way)

All Bros thanks for contributing out of your experiences.

Blackenese you should tell us more since you too changed from TA to Shadow

Thanks again:thumb:

I just love the looks, feel and sound of an old good Guzzi, though it has been around since the time of my Grandfather. I guess "they" don't do things like that anymore! Well it's not true.

"They" still do URALS

Hi hi...Brother Nights....WELL SAID and cheers to you my brother....I like the way you put across your opinions and advises....It's practical, technical at the same time and also a little bit of the financial consideration....I am certainly to SESOND your quotes my brother....

Thank you for your compliment brother. Wish I could do more than just pushing out my opinions and giving out advises, but I guess there is a limitation how much one can do.

Cheers!

Excuse mi... May i ask which one has a thicker rear wheel or which one can mod to a thicker wheel?

Cos my dream crusier rear wheel would look sumting like tis....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Harley-Davidson-VRSC-VRSCDXNightRodSpeciale-small.jpg

The three mentioned models has the same rear tire width 170mm, literally. Additional allowance of width size increment probably lies between 10 to 30mm range but, if you are looking for a width size of the means, you would probably have to consult Mr. X-ilED which, I believe that would be his expertise in this field.

Excuse mi... May i ask which one has a thicker rear wheel or which one can mod to a thicker wheel?

Cos my dream crusier rear wheel would look sumting like tis....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Harley-Davidson-VRSC-VRSCDXNightRodSpeciale-small.jpg

modding to fatter rear tire is not jus a matter of clearance. To really feel the difference, u gotta go up to at least a 190 tire to REALLY see it. like nights mentioned, shadows, dragstars, steeds and slashers have a 170 rear. this mod requires u to offset yur front sprockets to match the widened rear. yur swingarm also gotta widen plus... u gotta check for clearance with the exhaust cos alot of bikes have their pipes quite close to the swingarms. jus do a rough imagination an u can tell how much effort goes into a wide tire mod.

however if u are really serious about this, the easier bike to achieve this look i guess would be those with classic frames aka dual shocks at the side AND preferably chain driven -- shadows, slashers. ... the rest takes alot more engineering expertise to mod. shaft driven bikes obviously are not the top candidates due to thier hubs bcos u cannot jus retrofit any other wheels.

haha and i;m not any bike guru.. jus a guy who likes to play with bikes in a different way.

Guest DaxThe3rd

alright man... got it... hmm.. so it's juz like changing off road wheels to motard... muz change the swingarms too la... okie..

Erm, further questions, is air cooled engines better or liquid cooled better? Which last longer?

Is Dragstar a Carb model or a EFI model? Sorry if i phrase the terms wrongly...

Thanks guys...

alright man... got it... hmm.. so it's juz like changing off road wheels to motard... muz change the swingarms too la... okie..

Erm, further questions, is air cooled engines better or liquid cooled better? Which last longer?

Is Dragstar a Crab model or a EFI model? Sorry if i phrase the terms wrongly...

Thanks guys...

liquid cooled last longer 'cos the engine won't get too hot.

Dragstars are carb model and no, they ain't crap or crab hehe.... :cheeky:

I know 'cos I had a Dragstar Classic last time too.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

sory for those who cannot go into the link dat i pasted yesterday

due to removal from admin, anyway, here is the new link

yo guys, due to urgent need of money, bo bian i have to find lubang n get some cash, if u guys need helmet, i got Yamaha FF, GDR lift up, and Female helmet as well. all helmets are NEW n original. and dun wory, honestly price mark up few bucks only.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180492

Hi HI...What's the size for the Yamaha Full Face????

upz man.. thx yr the info. probably take yr advise and go perm on a class 2 bike... 2a would probably buy 2nd hand. Lol thanks again for the support and info. Cya in 3 years~!~!!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4974036153_c36bbcded6.jpg

Life isn't all about one's self...

• 3 weeks later...

Personnally i have own DS and Shadow b4.

DS can pick up much faster but in term of stability lose out to Shadow.

DS can cut thru a lot of vehicles while Shadow give u a lot of WIND (Due to the handle bar).

DS exhaust sound more rugged while Shadow is more tamed

DS with hazard light while Shadow with pliot light

DS rear seat is much higher than Shadow

DS have a higher speed record than Shadow

So if u are into more safe and more crusing experience like wide handle bar etc. You might wanna choose Shadow.

if you are choosing Shadow i have a deal for u.

hahaha pls see below......

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171621

Oh can squeeze. Just method only. hee. Sorry Yammies but I never liked Yamaha's handle bars. Even on their other bikes. Look at their 2008 Yamaha Majesty 250 for example. Nice bike and all but look at the bars....erk.

My fellow Kruzers and Slacker's ex Dragstar and Royalstar's handlebars are changed. Looks sooo much better. Tried the bikes at Hong Leong too, turn off was the handle bars. But it's just me la. :p

w y x m m

Oh can squeeze. Just method only. hee. Sorry Yammies but I never liked Yamaha's handle bars. Even on their other bikes. Look at their 2008 Yamaha Majesty 250 for example. Nice bike and all but look at the bars....erk.

My fellow Kruzers and Slacker's ex Dragstar and Royalstar's handlebars are changed. Looks sooo much better. Tried the bikes at Hong Leong too, turn off was the handle bars. But it's just me la. :p

Only some handlebars are not nice. My previous Dragstar Classic is perfect.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png