SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How useful is ABS for riding in SG?

sjyong

I'm not sure weather i lack braking skills or what, but in my past 11 months of riding, i fishtailed about 5 times (of which once i actually really fell off my bike, and another time i hit another biker at a stop....). Especially this time of the year, almost everyday raining, makes me damn scared to ride and brake in the rain. I hope to upgrade to 2A and get a bike with ABS like Ninja 300, R3 or CB400x/400sf etc

I've read a bit on ABS online and they were often criticized, anybody with ABS bikes care to share your views like whether does it really help?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i can tell, my ABS has never engaged in nearly three years of riding my Ninja3. I have felt before the telltale thump-thump-thump in my car ABS and have never felt such pulsing in my ninja's brake lever.

I want to change your perspective a bit: ABS engages after your tyre skids, to possibly (but not guaranteed) save you from a potential stall. but there are things you can do to prevent the skid from occurring in the first place. chief culprit is the tyre itself. wat bike and wat tyre model is yours? on my previous class two bike, a change to high quality michelin from the stock dunlop did make a huge difference. instances where i used to skid on the dunlop no longer happened on the michelin.

it was for this reason that the first thing i did on my ninja out of the shop was to change the stock IRC tryes. the stock tyres had 0km on it and i removed it for pirelli rosso 2.

the next most likely culprit is of coz your braking technique itself.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

As far as i can tell, my ABS has never engaged in nearly three years of riding my Ninja3. I have felt before the telltale thump-thump-thump in my car ABS and have never felt such pulsing in my ninja's brake lever.

I want to change your perspective a bit: ABS engages after your tyre skids, to possibly (but not guaranteed) save you from a potential stall. but there are things you can do to prevent the skid from occurring in the first place. chief culprit is the tyre itself. wat bike and wat tyre model is yours? on my previous class two bike, a change to high quality michelin from the stock dunlop did make a huge difference. instances where i used to skid on the dunlop no longer happened on the michelin.

it was for this reason that the first thing i did on my ninja out of the shop was to change the stock IRC tryes. the stock tyres had 0km on it and i removed it for pirelli rosso 2.

the next most likely culprit is of coz your braking technique itself.

Im riding good'ol CBR150R carb model hahaha skinny bike skinny tyres....

just a note of caution, never over-pump your tyres, its makes the contact patch less than what the tyres are marked out for

When i hit the other biker the other time my tyre was severely underinflated haha. i brought it to pump to realize that my tyre's reading was only 13 when recommended is 33

if u fear of wheel locking during hard braking then go wit abs...abs only hampers u when u wanto ride aggressive once awhile...u wanto brake hard entering a corner etc etc..u wanto power slide etc etc..

Sent from my iPhone

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

Hi guys, i sent my bike for repair today and asked my mechanic about my fishtailing issue, and yup he told me my tyre sucks....... i did not change my tyre tho because still got quite alot of thread life.

downside is abs is very exp to use steel braided hoses...abs needs 9 or 12 cables i forgot already...

Sent from my iPhone

Yup I saw the CB400X with and without ABS price difference is a whole 1K :/

I'm not sure weather i lack braking skills or what, but in my past 11 months of riding, i fishtailed about 5 times (of which once i actually really fell off my bike, and another time i hit another biker at a stop....). Especially this time of the year, almost everyday raining, makes me damn scared to ride and brake in the rain. I hope to upgrade to 2A and get a bike with ABS like Ninja 300, R3 or CB400x/400sf etc

I've read a bit on ABS online and they were often criticized, anybody with ABS bikes care to share your views like whether does it really help?

Your bike fishtailed because rear wheel locked up? try using ur front brake more, and dont zam the rear brake. Rear brake locked up and if released can lead to highsides....lol

I find most of the time i never touch the rear brake, all my braking done with front brake only, which is more than sufficient, and my ABS never kicked in.

Think the only time i use rear brake is when stopped on a slope and i put neutral gear to relax, take my hands off the bars and stretch...hehehe

ABS is good, but i suspect u fishtail due to your braking technique...i guess your stepping too much on rear brake

Hi guys, i sent my bike for repair today and asked my mechanic about my fishtailing issue, and yup he told me my tyre sucks....... i did not change my tyre tho because still got quite alot of thread life.

Yup I saw the CB400X with and without ABS price difference is a whole 1K :/

bro i mean if u got a abs model n wanto change to aftermarket brakehose...

but u are right..abs model difference abt 1k

Sent from my iPhone

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

A lot of thread left does not mean it's still good. The rubber compound may have hardened.

1K for ABS is worth it.

Hmm i shall change my tyre the next time i visit the mechanic then, thanks!

Your bike fishtailed because rear wheel locked up? try using ur front brake more, and dont zam the rear brake. Rear brake locked up and if released can lead to highsides....lol

I find most of the time i never touch the rear brake, all my braking done with front brake only, which is more than sufficient, and my ABS never kicked in.

Think the only time i use rear brake is when stopped on a slope and i put neutral gear to relax, take my hands off the bars and stretch...hehehe

ABS is good, but i suspect u fishtail due to your braking technique...i guess your stepping too much on rear brake

I will take note of that! I think i got this habit because last time i always use front brake only(too used to riding bicycle) then instructor always scold say i don't use rear brake haha

Bike tyres are probably good for 3-5 years from date of manufacturing. Anything longer, it is wiser to replace it even with alot of thread life.

On the positive side, fishtail is the better of the worst. Losing your front tyre grip is probably not recoverable.

Kind of fun if you get the hang of fishtail and recovers from it. :)

Edited by SV650
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1140039.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1130008.jpg

like i mentioned, i changed out my stock IRC tyres with 0km on it. the bike was pushed out of the dealer and into my regular mechanic next door. I'm not the kind who needs ultra high end tyres all the time, but there sh|tty tyres out there i refuse to ride on even 1km brand new.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

Hmm i shall change my tyre the next time i visit the mechanic then, thanks!

I will take note of that! I think i got this habit because last time i always use front brake only(too used to riding bicycle) then instructor always scold say i don't use rear brake

Haha usually during practical lessons, when u see ppl doing e-brake and drop the bike, those are the ones that lock up rear wheel and lose balance. I believe in front brake only even for e-brake.

Maybe u try riding for a few days or so just using front brake for stopping and see how is it.

Also with front brake, don't just grab the lever. Ideally it should be soft at first then increasing pressure, all done in a smooth motion.

Whether 2 finger, 3 finger or 4 finger braking is up to u. I personally use 2 finger braking as I like to keep more fingers around the bar.

Would use 1 finger if I had the strength....but don't have hahah

ABS definitely a good to have... but not 100% necessary. I have never rode a Bike equipped with ABS, but i am riding a bike with Delinked ABS... not end of the world.

If you are used to ABS, then likely you would have lost your sense of braking. Stick to ABS bike.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

91-92: 84 Yam LC125

95-97: 88 Suz GSX400R & 88 GSX400FW

97-01: 95 Suz Bandit400

01-04: 96 Suz DR650SE

04-11: 99 Suz SV650S

05-05: 94 Suz DR200SE

06-16: 06 Kia Rio 1.4(M) Sedan

11-12: 02 BMW F650GS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

ABS definitely a good to have... but not 100% necessary. I have never rode a Bike equipped with ABS, but i am riding a bike with Delinked ABS... not end of the world.

If you are used to ABS, then likely you would have lost your sense of braking. Stick to ABS bike.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

ABS: Always Brake Smoothly

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1140039.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1130008.jpg

ABS is like condom.....better to have it and not need it, rather than not have it and wished you had...hehehe

Normally riding you wont engage it unless your braking technique is wrong, only in real emergency whereby instinct takes over will it come in handy, esp on the front wheel whereby the last thing you want is it locking up. Rear wheel locked up still can control, front wheel locked usually you will go down.

Those that tell you they can modulate the brakes better/faster than ABS can are talking nonsense.

However it is a rider aid, not a crutch, and should not be solution for bad rider technique.

^ great analogy :lol:

Haha usually during practical lessons, when u see ppl doing e-brake and drop the bike, those are the ones that lock up rear wheel and lose balance. I believe in front brake only even for e-brake.

Maybe u try riding for a few days or so just using front brake for stopping and see how is it.

Also with front brake, don't just grab the lever. Ideally it should be soft at first then increasing pressure, all done in a smooth motion.

Whether 2 finger, 3 finger or 4 finger braking is up to u. I personally use 2 finger braking as I like to keep more fingers around the bar.

Would use 1 finger if I had the strength....but don't have hahah

Tried today and will continue to practice this! After reading this post i realize i seriously under utilized my front brake :slapforehead:

And i guess i will be looking forward to getting an ABS bike when i complete my 2A license!

i dont think this statement is 100% accurate.

like i mentioned earlier, in nearly 3 years of riding my ABS bike, i have never felt the ABS engage. If a rider regularly feels the ABS engaging, either something very wrong with the ABS calibration, or he is one heck of a lousy rider. And he is likely to have fallen several times, even with the ABS.

One misconception is, just because you have ABS does not mean the bike will allow you to do stupid braking without falling. take a hard corner on wet road while knee scraping and you squeeze brake lever hard, you'll be on the floor with or without ABS.

the only time the ABS is likely to save you is if you are upright and you perform a super hard e-brake that causes your front tyre to lock up, which of course is more likely on wet road although can still happen on dry.

if you brake hard without lock-up, the ABS does nothing. if your tyre lock-up occurs in a hard corner, you are still likely to fall. and if your tyre skids due to hard acceleration on throttle, the ABS does nothing.

The BMW S1000RR is the only bike whose review i heard says it has so much electronic rider aid, including sophisticated ABS and traction control, that apparently on track it really does allow the rider to get away with some stupid techniques that ordinarily will fall.

since most ABS bikes are not that sophisticated, i find it unlikely that riding an ABS bike will worsen any riding technique. it is simply not an aid that you can rely on regularly to save you from stupidity. it only engages in extreme situations.

this video clearly shows, upright hard brake on wet road the ABS will (maybe) save you. that is the only instance the ABS will potentially save you. you simply can't depend on the ABS in other stupid technique situations.

Yes, you convinced me... unlike some people who only Say Say Say without explanation, prove....

Edited by Limsteel

91-92: 84 Yam LC125

95-97: 88 Suz GSX400R & 88 GSX400FW

97-01: 95 Suz Bandit400

01-04: 96 Suz DR650SE

04-11: 99 Suz SV650S

05-05: 94 Suz DR200SE

06-16: 06 Kia Rio 1.4(M) Sedan

11-12: 02 BMW F650GS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

perhaps you can take your unhappiness with bike sellers elsewhere.

we're trying to have a constructive discussion about ABS here.