SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How useful is ABS for riding in SG?

sjyong

the idea that "a highly skilled rider can stop a non-ABS bike faster or in shorter distance than an ABS bike in the dry" is the only 'somewhat valid' argument i have heard against ABS. i brush this aside for three reasons:

1) "highly skilled" does not refer to any of us here. not unless you show me that you are certified in advanced riding training. if the wet e-brake at your driving center is your only training in braking, you really want to call yourself among the "highly skilled"?

2) a few videos i have seen where the supposed highly skilled rider stop the non-ABS bike in shorter distance. but by far, a lot more articles and videos doing this test show the ABS bike stop in shorter distance.

3) even the highly skilled bikers dont want to test this in the wet. all just agree they can't beat the ABS in the wet. so what does that say?

but if you really believe you skilled enough to stop better than ABS, go ahead.like i said, i'm not here to tell you to take an ABS bike.

but the idea that ABS will make your riding skills worse, of coz is bull. that opinion shows you dont even know how ABS works. if the ABS doesnt engage in 99% of your riding, and you cant purposely use it in normal braking, why would it affect your riding technique?

and to add on non ABS, at this moment, abs, may not be a good idea to engage when going off road? it really depends on the rider on how they use their equidment and not the bike.

but personally do i want ABS on the bike, I don't . it's extra cost and the item will break down.

Just ride in such a way that never really need to use them or was what mechwira says 99% of the time.( lol I prefer 100%)

Edited by ChaoPuzzy1968

Life sux..Take control ..and live it and pick yourselves up now.. die later

if the roads end ....i go off road

Honda Shadow ACE 400 1997

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

"Bikers Don't bleed, we mark our territory"...

"Bikers Don't leave our body behind , we just a smear on the road"

"Bikers Don't cry When we Die, we just let others do it on our behalf"

"Bikers Don't stop Riding,We keep cruzing after we Die"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to share but i've seen videos where people are too used to having ABS that when they ride non-ABS bike, they like to squeeze/step the levers hard.

I've not ridden on an ABS bike before im not sure if this function exist but there should be some indicator when the ABS is activated so as to warn the user like "dont brake like that next time yo"

and to add on non ABS, at this moment, abs, may not be a good idea to engage when going off road? it really depends on the rider on how they use their equidment and not the bike.

but personally do i want ABS on the bike, I don't . it's extra cost and the item will break down.

Just ride in such a way that never really need to use them or was what mechwira says 99% of the time.( lol I prefer 100%)

When off-road how likely are you to be in a situation whereby you would be crashing into a car that suddenly pulled out in front of you? If you crash offroad, at most maybe couple of cuts and broken bones, but most of the time it wont kill you.

Compare to normal road driving on tarmac, ABS definitely can come in handy in EMERGENCY situation. I've owned both ABS and non-ABS bikes, and in all these years, only had 1 emergency situation that ABS engaged. Its the 0.00001% of the time that I needed it, and am glad it was there. If not, front wheel probably would have locked up and I would have crashed.

As for extra cost, ABS option maybe $1-2k more? small price to pay for additional safety, definitely cheaper than hospital bills, plus skin is precious. Never had one break down on me...ever. But I've also never owned a bike long enough till major stuff start breaking down....hehehe

Maybe eventually I can ride in such a way that I will never really need helmets or safety gear either :D

ABS is a rider aid, not a crutch. It can provide additional safety for the sensible rider, but give a moron all the traction control, abs etc also and he'd probably still kill himself hehehe

Edited by filtered

Just to share but i've seen videos where people are too used to having ABS that when they ride non-ABS bike, they like to squeeze/step the levers hard.

I've not ridden on an ABS bike before im not sure if this function exist but there should be some indicator when the ABS is activated so as to warn the user like "dont brake like that next time yo"

Squeezing levers too hard is rider technique problem, not the equipment. Brake with proper technique, and ABS will never engage in normal riding, or even on track.

Proper braking technique is the same, whether for ABS or non-ABS bikes. When I jump on my ABS bike, doesnt mean suddenly my braking technique changes

this issue about the ABS breaking down......

if your bike's ABS breaks down in any way whatsoever, you end up with a ....... non-abs bike. in other words, your bike will be just as dangerous.... as any other ordinary non-ABS bike.

there is no issue of an ABS breaking down and you end up with no brakes or faulty brakes. it does not work like that.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

lol yes , when the ABS kick in, it is saying we are braking too hard...

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

maybe eventually i can ride in such a way that i will never really need helmets or safety gear either :D

abs is a rider aid, not a crutch. It can provide additional safety for the sensible rider, but give a moron all the traction control, abs etc also and he'd probably still kill himself hehehe

very well said!!!

http://www.motoroids.com/news/kawasaki-ninja-h2-crash-more-images-and-details-emerge-another-crash-reported/

Edited by ChaoPuzzy1968

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

I'm not sure weather i lack braking skills or what, but in my past 11 months of riding, i fishtailed about 5 times (of which once i actually really fell off my bike, and another time i hit another biker at a stop....). Especially this time of the year, almost everyday raining, makes me damn scared to ride and brake in the rain. I hope to upgrade to 2A and get a bike with ABS like Ninja 300, R3 or CB400x/400sf etc

I've read a bit on ABS online and they were often criticized, anybody with ABS bikes care to share your views like whether does it really help?

If you fishtail so many times when you are so scare and aware of the consequences of over braking, then its properly time to look at your tyre. What tyre are you using o_O

For me, I know how much brake I need to slam to fish tail even on wet weather, hence theres always a cap how much brake pressure I would engage in wet weather and I never fishtailed for awhile..

Unless theres an expected foreign object which I couldnt foresee. That amount of brake is quite considerable much..

Remember back in 2012, when I just passed 2B, there was a bald large nut in the middle of a left turn junction at my school entrance, it was properly dropped by some maintenanceless heavy vehicle. The nut was so old, it thread is completely empty and it is smoother than the cap region of the nut. As I do a left turn on a very wet weather into the entrance of the school, my bike fishtail and I wasnt even using my rear brake at less than 10km/h,

The nut was not large enough to be spotted on the bike, but it is large enough to roll my rear wheel away when I travel over it at low speed.

Luckily I was on my light sp, 2 legs down and every thing safe.

I went back to the spot thinking there was an oil spil at first, and I picked up this large nut of the road..

17 Nov 2011 - April 2013, NSR150 SP

12 June 2013 - 23 Jan 2015, CBR400RRR

23 February 2015 - 29 February 2016, YZF R6 2006

12 March 2016 - 12 May 2017, CBR1000RR05

July 2017 - Jan 2019, YZF R1 2008/CBF150

Aug 2019 - Current SYM Joyride 200

Hi all,

let me tell you a story which I often repeated when it comes to ABS.

This was several years ago btw.

It was still drizzling after a huge downpour and I was on the way home on the SLE.

Going at normal, logical speed given the wet tarmac.

All of a sudden, this lorry diagonally in front of my left swerved into my lane w/o warning. (Dun ask me why, maybe doze off)

What years of riding, anticipation, long(ish) distance riding...etc. just flew out of the window as I instinctively grabbed the brake lever as the lorry loomed into view.

Behind me on the SLE is a line of cars which if I skid (and i will given how hard I remember I grabbed the brakes) , it is up to fate already. But I didn't.

I got home feeling just damn glad to be alive. All I remembered is the lever pulsing as the ABS was engaged during that instant.

You can call it panic or instinct, it is up to you but I am alive here and typing is because of ABS.

Yes, yes, yes, ABS and all the electronic rider assistance cannot save a moron if he is too keen to meet his maker.

But these aids can and will save you in some instances.

ABS is really old school, old technology although there are advanced variances nowadays.

Rejecting the technology because you think you can put yourself in safe situation all the time? Yes, please go ahead.

But to many other riders, ABS is a good safety net. It add about 5-10% to a bike cost, but perhaps because of that 5% you end up saving 100% of the bike. If not more.

What I can say and still tell others is that if a bike comes with 2 options, ABS and without, go for ABS. Always.

On the ABS and the way it affects your riding.

I am not sure about others or 'friend's friend's friend's' account but having ABS equipped bike does not change the way I ride or braking habits.

Front/ rear bias and pressure depends on your riding, situation and common sense. There is no link to ABS, at least for myself for general riding. ABS is only applied in panic situations if you ask me.

If you always get yourself in panic situation, then please just quit riding.

I don't ride off road and I guess for 99% of the riders in Sg, we spent most of our riding on Sg roads in all kinds of weather.

For me, there is zero link to off road and ABS since I never go there anyway. Well, I guess most of the GS sold and ridden here dun go offroad too, but thats another story. ;)

Off roaders, they can switch off their ABS for some machines but again this topic is about general riding in Sg, so let's save offroading and ABS for another thread.

On mechanical breakdown, everything breaks down in time. But on my bike, its a old school ABS system.

I end this post by quoting a favourite fanboy movie

"Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one."

Cheers.

Edited by Constructicon

Hardcore

Planet Motorcycle Supporter:thumb:

oh man... u guys make me want to have abs on my bike. But i aren't gonna change my bike, so i just gonna have to live without.

Some years back, I was helping out with a motorcycling safety riding workshop. We were were demonstrating a safety riding concept. On the ride out, in the drizzle, I locked up my front wheel over white paint on the road on a red light. Wished I had abs, would have saved a lot of embarassment and my tattered rain gear. It was the only instant in about... 10 years of riding (175k kilometres riding) and 150k kilometres driving that an abs would have made a difference to me. These days I only ride, without abs, coz the fz6 doesn't come with one.

Also managed to lock up the front, hear the screech and release it 3 times in a row while e braking on the street once. I guess we get more sensitive to releasing the front brakes when we do a superman over the handlebars. That said, I don't want to know if I can repeat this.

If I were going to change a bike, an abs is a good to have. I think I could benefit from it. I also wouldn't be going out to look for an abs bike. It would not be a key consideration in a bike selection. It would rank alongside the other features of the bike. Just another feature. Good to have, not critical in bike selection.

ps: i may change my mind if i do another superman

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
I'm not sure weather i lack braking skills or what, but in my past 11 months of riding, i fishtailed about 5 times (of which once i actually really fell off my bike, and another time i hit another biker at a stop....). Especially this time of the year, almost everyday raining, makes me Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire damn scared to ride and brake in the rain. I hope to upgrade to 2A and get a bike with ABS like Ninja 300, R3 or CB400x/400sf etc

I've read a bit on ABS online and they were often criticized, anybody with ABS bikes care to share your views like whether does it really help?

the bike was pushed out of the dealer and into my regular mechanic next door. I'm not the kind who needs ultra high end tyres all the time, but there sh|tty tyres out there i refuse to ride on even 1km brand new.

Edited by graceaquies