SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How useful is ABS for riding in SG?

sjyong

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a hard braking last week with road wet. One ******* turn out from slip road without checking. ABS kicks in and i managed to stop in time. I would say ABS save my day. Cannot imagine my bike skid and that ******* just drove off.

If a rider not use to abs, it would feel as dangerous to him as a rider being used to abs riding a non abs bike.

and i keep saying there is no such thing as "used to ABS" or "not used to ABS".

seriously, if you have never ridden an ABS bike before, quit saying such things. you are perpetuating a misconception.

the ABS is NOT A SYSTEM YOU CAN PURPOSELY/DELIBERATELY USE IN YOUR DAILY RIDING UNTIL IT BECOMES A WAY OF RIDING.

if you're on a non-ABS bike, think about how frequently you brake so hard until your tyre skid and can hear the squealing sound. in the first 3 years of my 2B on a non-ABS, i experience this a grand total of TWO times. and that is how frequently your ABS will ever activate. dont make it sound like its a device that a rider can purposely use regularly to make up for poor braking skills.

and for my fellow bikers on ABS, come and share how frequently you have felt the ABS confirm activate. Any ABS biker willing to say "Yes, I regularly and purposely activate my ABS in my daily riding"? if it happens very very rarely, only in emergency panic brake situations, and it is a device that cannnot be purposely activated in normal riding, then how can ABS affect anyone's core riding skills?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

mechwira, cool it. If some bikers feel safer with ABS on their bikes, so be it.

I guess every riders have their own expectation of what safety. Different people subscribes to different school of thoughts.

I've seen extreme case of a biker going out of Singapore on his bike with badly worn tyres till to the point of exposing the re-enforcement fibres from his tyres. Yet, the rider says he is very safe as he is on full leather suit.

End of the day, we all want to be safe on the bike.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1140039.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1130008.jpg

mechwira, cool it.

no bro. its not about me being angry. i believe it is a rider's choice whether he wants ABS or not. or wear leather suit. or use full face or even fake helmet with no cert.

i have absolutely no intention of telling people they should ride bike with ABS.

but we all have to be responsible and not spread misconception.

i've already taken the time to explain that ABS has zero effect on a rider's skill. it is not fair for riders who have not ridden an ABS bike, or maybe dun even understand exactly how it works, to keep on saying you somehow will have "better" riding skills when you operate a non-ABS bike, or conversely that your skills will get worse when you ride an ABS bike.

the ABS is to a limited extent, a life-saver. if you don't believe in it, fine. but don't spread the wrong idea because you might inadvertently deprive another rider of a potential life-saver because you made him believe the wrong thing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

no bro. its not about me being angry. i believe it is a rider's choice whether he wants ABS or not. or wear leather suit. or use full face or even fake helmet with no cert.

i have absolutely no intention of telling people they should ride bike with ABS.

but we all have to be responsible and not spread misconception.

i've already taken the time to explain that ABS has zero effect on a rider's skill. it is not fair for riders who have not ridden an ABS bike, or maybe dun even understand exactly how it works, to keep on saying you somehow will have "better" riding skills when you operate a non-ABS bike, or conversely that your skills will get worse when you ride an ABS bike.

the ABS is to a limited extent, a life-saver. if you don't believe in it, fine. but don't spread the wrong idea because you might inadvertently deprive another rider of a potential life-saver because you made him believe the wrong thing.

Yes i agree with u on this. Its more of a function.

and i keep saying there is no such thing as "used to ABS" or "not used to ABS".

seriously, if you have never ridden an ABS bike before, quit saying such things. you are perpetuating a misconception.

the ABS is NOT A SYSTEM YOU CAN PURPOSELY/DELIBERATELY USE IN YOUR DAILY RIDING UNTIL IT BECOMES A WAY OF RIDING.

if you're on a non-ABS bike, think about how frequently you brake so hard until your tyre skid and can hear the squealing sound. in the first 3 years of my 2B on a non-ABS, i experience this a grand total of TWO times. and that is how frequently your ABS will ever activate. dont make it sound like its a device that a rider can purposely use regularly to make up for poor braking skills.

and for my fellow bikers on ABS, come and share how frequently you have felt the ABS confirm activate. Any ABS biker willing to say "Yes, I regularly and purposely activate my ABS in my daily riding"? if it happens very very rarely, only in emergency panic brake situations, and it is a device that cannnot be purposely activated in normal riding, then how can ABS affect anyone's core riding skills?

You go n buy abs bike ride before commenting?

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk

You go n buy abs bike ride before commenting?

maybe you'd like to read what i posted earlier before commenting?

As far as i can tell, my ABS has never engaged in nearly three years of riding my Ninja3. I have felt before the telltale thump-thump-thump in my car ABS and have never felt such pulsing in my ninja's brake lever.

like i mentioned earlier, in nearly 3 years of riding my ABS bike, i have never felt the ABS engage. If a rider regularly feels the ABS engaging, either something very wrong with the ABS calibration, or he is one heck of a lousy rider. And he is likely to have fallen several times, even with the ABS.

in addition to my explanations on why ABS does not affect your standard daily riding, including a youtube video demonstrating the only instance ever that the ABS engages. which means even if i'm not an ABS rider, i clearly show i understand how ABS works?

maybe you'd like to read what i posted earlier before commenting?

in addition to my explanations on why ABS does not affect your standard daily riding, including a youtube video demonstrating the only instance ever that the ABS engages. which means even if i'm not an ABS rider, i clearly show i understand how ABS works?

Pls forgive this team of horse power teambhp, cos he came into this world the wrong way. Instead of coming out fr a p u s s y, he came out fr buttocks instead hence this person is full of s h I t t y reasonings. Oh, there will be ppl telling me abt mannerism again. I only know how to be polite to ppl who deserve it. Trolls here like teambhp, kzone we can start to name a few. ;)

Pls forgive this team of horse power teambhp, cos he came into this world the wrong way. Instead of coming out fr a p u s s y, he came out fr buttocks instead hence this person is full of s h I t t y reasonings. Oh, there will be ppl telling me abt mannerism again. I only know how to be polite to ppl who deserve it. Trolls here like teambhp, kzone we can start to name a few. ;)

People are talking about abs n safety. I really dun understand why you must talk about your smelly ***** here

Hello there, Stick to the topic, no point engaging in time wasting argument with numbsculls.

Anyway, I driven an ABS BMW car in a training course. ABS even during floor braking can still maintain control of the vehicle. A non abs car once the wheel locked no matter how you steer the car just move the way physics want it to.

So ABS is a good addition to any vehicles. We can use manual ABS by jamming and releasing but like mechwira mentioned a human can never simulate 100% (maybe not even 50%) of the electronic control.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

91-92: 84 Yam LC125

95-97: 88 Suz GSX400R & 88 GSX400FW

97-01: 95 Suz Bandit400

01-04: 96 Suz DR650SE

04-11: 99 Suz SV650S

05-05: 94 Suz DR200SE

06-16: 06 Kia Rio 1.4(M) Sedan

11-12: 02 BMW F650GS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Hello there, Stick to the topic, no point engaging in time wasting argument with numbsculls.

Anyway, I driven an ABS BMW car in a training course. ABS even during floor braking can still maintain control of the vehicle. A non abs car once the wheel locked no matter how you steer the car just move the way physics want it to.

So ABS is a good addition to any vehicles. We can use manual ABS by jamming and releasing but like mechwira mentioned a human can never simulate 100% (maybe not even 50%) of the electronic control.

Yes sir

Yes sir

Way to go man..tats a gd start of the yr to admit u r a numbscull. Since u know u r one urself, so start to improve urself by not being a numbscull ok? Dun promote urself to be another b a s t a r d. Gd to hv u ard anyway, so that we really know the meaning of an id iot.

Way to go man..tats a gd start of the yr to admit u r a numbscull. Since u know u r one urself, so start to improve urself by not being a numbscull ok? Dun promote urself to be another b a s t a r d. Gd to hv u ard anyway, so that we really know the meaning of an id iot.

Really pity your parents. Never teach you. That why no respect for people

Really pity your parents. Never teach you. That why no respect for people

The rule or principle of respect dun apply to u dude. U r not fit to use that word at all. I pity ur parents more, they must hv wondered what damage they had done to produce a low quality like u. C'mon man..give us more crap. We will entertain u if we r free. Pity u, ppl only respond to u when they r free to do so, clearly shows u r in the extreme low priorities. Poor pc of junk.

The rule or principle of respect dun apply to u dude. U r not fit to use that word at all. I pity ur parents more, they must hv wondered what damage they had done to produce a low quality like u. C'mon man..give us more crap. We will entertain u if we r free. Pity u, ppl only respond to u when they r free to do so, clearly shows u r in the extreme low priorities. Poor pc of junk.

Orphan

Stop bringing parents into picture.

TeamBHP, you started a good topic so can you please stick to the topic ABS good bad.

Don't point finger at others picking on you. What you do to others, what you will get in return.

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Let him be, don't let him spoil your day. Not worth it. Ok back to ABS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

I have both ABS and Non ABS bike.

and

There is ample Video on ABS for Bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1JRRywzXPc

reference http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/deadly-dozen-12-motorcycle-safety-myths-and-misconceptions

Myth 12: A Skilled Rider Can Stop Better with Conventional Brakes than with Anti-Lock Brakes

Extensive testing done recently disproves this popular notion. Even on clean, dry, flat pavement, skilled, experienced riders (who did hundreds of panic stops for the testing on outrigger-equipped motorcycles) stopped in less distance with anti-lock brakes (ABS) than with conventional or linked braking systems. Though the tests didn't include samples on surfaces with slick, dirty or wet spots, ABS certainly would have performed even better under those conditions while eliminating much of the risk of crashing.

The other cool thing about ABS on a motorcycle is that allows you to safely practice panic stops without risking a crash caused by lock-up.

Disclaimer. even with ABS it does not guranteee you will survive riding on the road. when you time is up, nothing will prevent it.

Conconclusion, as a biker it's your life , you decide how you want to live it or how you want to die.

Life sux..Take control ..and live it and pick yourselves up now.. die later

if the roads end ....i go off road

Honda Shadow ACE 400 1997

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

"Bikers Don't bleed, we mark our territory"...

"Bikers Don't leave our body behind , we just a smear on the road"

"Bikers Don't cry When we Die, we just let others do it on our behalf"

"Bikers Don't stop Riding,We keep cruzing after we Die"

the idea that "a highly skilled rider can stop a non-ABS bike faster or in shorter distance than an ABS bike in the dry" is the only 'somewhat valid' argument i have heard against ABS. i brush this aside for three reasons:

1) "highly skilled" does not refer to any of us here. not unless you show me that you are certified in advanced riding training. if the wet e-brake at your driving center is your only training in braking, you really want to call yourself among the "highly skilled"?

2) a few videos i have seen where the supposed highly skilled rider stop the non-ABS bike in shorter distance. but by far, a lot more articles and videos doing this test show the ABS bike stop in shorter distance.

3) even the highly skilled bikers dont want to test this in the wet. all just agree they can't beat the ABS in the wet. so what does that say?

but if you really believe you skilled enough to stop better than ABS, go ahead.like i said, i'm not here to tell you to take an ABS bike.

but the idea that ABS will make your riding skills worse, of coz is bull. that opinion shows you dont even know how ABS works. if the ABS doesnt engage in 99% of your riding, and you cant purposely use it in normal braking, why would it affect your riding technique?