SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

cak

Thanks Cruiserian, Hydher and Jonborah for all your responses! Will definitely read and try and research on the various points that you all mentioned! I suspect its the clutch slipping too, it felt like that on my phantom. But like y'all mentioned there could be so many other reasons.. I'll just go by the logical route of changing out parts from the smallest to the biggest (and hopefully my wallet doesn't burn out before i get there haha). Have brought the bike down to Rosli and gotten some advice from him too. So far, plugs, air filter have been changed. EO also.

Somehow I don't know whether to trust or not trust these mechanics.. On one hand, the bike keeps giving me so many problems (which i know is expected of 2nd hand bikes especially one of this vintage!), but I certainly don't find my repeated number of trips to the shop within a month to be acceptable. Just went again on last friday because the coolant leaked AGAIN. strange thing is they always seem to take my bike back without complains and do the job without charging me a cent. And the specific problems have been solved, oil leak, shaky front wheel, coolant leak, twice though but fixed as of today.

Good but yet bad service. Oh i don't know.. Will read up on lemon law tomorrow to find out the specifics.

Anyw something interesting I found out today. Okay back story, roughly over a week ago I changed out my air filter and Rosli cause the air filter.. was impossibly choked. Got a new one from Rosli who advised me not to go after market for now at least. That very day my coolant leaked so I brought the bike back to Looi's (okay thats the first time i'm naming the dealer haha) and they changed out the bottom coolant hose for me where it was leaking. 3-4 days later, the top hose started to leak so I brought it back and saw them strip the top parts of the bikes (fuel tank, filter housing etc.). I left the bike there, came back and they informed me they changed out the top hose. I also told them about the jerking issue and they said they would look into it. That was saturday when I got the bike back. Today I went down to JB, and my whole filter housing dropped out. Strange? I brought it down to a nearby mechanic to fix it back cause I didn't have the tools. And thats when I discovered this..

IMG_0745.jpg

There's a metal piece screwed into the housing which wasn't there before I know because I opened it up myself before I went down to rosli. Its restricting the air flow by nearly half.. and the screws are so badly put in they poked through the other side, which prevented the housing from being properly secured. All these was shown to me on the spot by the mechanic. To rectify it he took out the extra screws and the piece and secured my housing back properly.

I don't think Rosli would put something like that in without telling me, or even do something like that at all. I intend to check with him.. but I highly suspect its the mechanics at Looi's. My question now would be, WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?! Tried googling restricted air intake and the closest that came up was ram-air intake which is totally not what this is about. I'm in a state of confusion now hahahah.

So much headache over this baby but I still love her so.

If I made any wrong technical assumptions about anything please forgive and enlighten me! Thank you so much once again guys. ANd sorry about the long rant hahahaha.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cruiserian. I will also probably feel like you after the new owner takes over. It's very much like a GF who is going to become an ex girlfriend because you have a new girlfriend

Haha I am certain we can all relate. Hondas are just amazing machines, esp this V twin. But I am aging fast and am in mid life crisis mode so I has to try a Harley before I get to weak to lift one. Hahaha....will keep my burgman for quick run abounds... Will need to meet up with you guys soon. Great advises dispensed in this warm forum..

Thanks Cruiserian, Hydher and Jonborah for all your responses! Will definitely read and try and research on the various points that you all mentioned! I suspect its the clutch slipping too, it felt like that on my phantom. But like y'all mentioned there could be so many other reasons.. I'll just go by the logical route of changing out parts from the smallest to the biggest (and hopefully my wallet doesn't burn out before i get there haha). Have brought the bike down to Rosli and gotten some advice from him too. So far, plugs, air filter have been changed. EO also.

Somehow I don't know whether to trust or not trust these mechanics.. On one hand, the bike keeps giving me so many problems (which i know is expected of 2nd hand bikes especially one of this vintage!), but I certainly don't find my repeated number of trips to the shop within a month to be acceptable. Just went again on last friday because the coolant leaked AGAIN. strange thing is they always seem to take my bike back without complains and do the job without charging me a cent. And the specific problems have been solved, oil leak, shaky front wheel, coolant leak, twice though but fixed as of today.

Good but yet bad service. Oh i don't know.. Will read up on lemon law tomorrow to find out the specifics.

Anyw something interesting I found out today. Okay back story, roughly over a week ago I changed out my air filter and Rosli cause the air filter.. was impossibly choked. Got a new one from Rosli who advised me not to go after market for now at least. That very day my coolant leaked so I brought the bike back to Looi's (okay thats the first time i'm naming the dealer haha) and they changed out the bottom coolant hose for me where it was leaking. 3-4 days later, the top hose started to leak so I brought it back and saw them strip the top parts of the bikes (fuel tank, filter housing etc.). I left the bike there, came back and they informed me they changed out the top hose. I also told them about the jerking issue and they said they would look into it. That was saturday when I got the bike back. Today I went down to JB, and my whole filter housing dropped out. Strange? I brought it down to a nearby mechanic to fix it back cause I didn't have the tools. And thats when I discovered this..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306616[/ATTACH]

There's a metal piece screwed into the housing which wasn't there before I know because I opened it up myself before I went down to rosli. Its restricting the air flow by nearly half.. and the screws are so badly put in they poked through the other side, which prevented the housing from being properly secured. All these was shown to me on the spot by the mechanic. To rectify it he took out the extra screws and the piece and secured my housing back properly.

I don't think Rosli would put something like that in without telling me, or even do something like that at all. I intend to check with him.. but I highly suspect its the mechanics at Looi's. My question now would be, WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?! Tried googling restricted air intake and the closest that came up was ram-air intake which is totally not what this is about. I'm in a state of confusion now hahahah.

So much headache over this baby but I still love her so.

If I made any wrong technical assumptions about anything please forgive and enlighten me! Thank you so much once again guys. ANd sorry about the long rant hahahaha.

Bro. It's ok. Good to find out all these now. When I first bought my current shadow 750 ace, I also have several problems. Imagine the top speed of my bike was only 90kmph back then. My exhaust pipe was corroded and leaked. Engine keep having overheating issue. This was the result of ex-owner's negligence. I fixed the things one by one. And now the bike runs like nobody business. I even cleared the meter (160kmph) during my Malacca trip.

My advise for ppl who going to buy 2nd hand old bike is to always set some budget for troubleshooting. For me I usually set about $2k. And for this case, I spent about $2k to fix all the things right.

But u are luckier than me, cuz u bought from Looi's motor (I bought from direct owner). Looi's motor prioritize on after-sales service. If I were u, I will keep going back to hassle them.

What are the things that Rosli fixed for you? If only air filter, I doubt he will open up the whole air box.

Go back to looi and tell them to fix it back properly. Tell them u are very frustrated to keep coming back every few days, and strictly request them to do a proper checking of the bike one and for all.

All the best bro. Keep us updated. This will be another good sharing for future reference.

Pardon me for typo error as this is sent by mobile.

-= Ride to Freedom, Freedom to Ride =-

Hi Cruiserian. I will also probably feel like you after the new owner takes over. It's very much like a GF who is going to become an ex girlfriend because you have a new girlfriend

Haha I am certain we can all relate. Hondas are just amazing machines, esp this V twin. But I am aging fast and am in mid life crisis mode so I has to try a Harley before I get to weak to lift one. Hahaha....will keep my burgman for quick run abounds... Will need to meet up with you guys soon. Great advises dispensed in this warm forum..

Bro. Come join us. We also have big bikers around. Valkyrie, rocket3, etc. we also have a bro here who own 6 bikes inclusive of road king, midnight stars 1300, and Valkyrie, but he doesn't have class 2 yet, he just bought and keep. Hahaha.

I hate going to the stealerships thats why I work on my bike myself.

They are expensive.

I believe reducing your air intake will make the bike incapable of reaching such speeds rather than having "the struggle".

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

restricted air intake so that you bike won't jerk, but lose of power.

my was stick with sponge. after the took out yes it jerk but with power.

was done turning by rosli getting better but not 100%

perhaps changing your fuel pump>?

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=315632&d=1417139085

Honda Phantom 2008~2012

Honda Shadow 400 2013~~

VTX 1300 2014~~

items for sales!! http://iwanna2ride.blogspot.sg/

Update! Went down to rosli today and he said the same thing that many of the bros here have suggested, that restricting the air intake would smoothen out the jerks and cover up a major problem. Brought the bike back to Looi's and gave them a piece of mind regarding their shoddy under table fix. The good news is that they didn't deny anything and admitted that they took a short cut to "save cost" for me, the client. Well in any case, since they bothered to admit, I threw my bike to them to give me a full detailed diagnosis of what is wrong. Last chance before I bring this matter up to their boss and subsequently CASE.

Thanks for all the advice so far! Will keep you guys posted on how things go, and what gets fixed and whether it solved the problems that I'm facing now so future bikers can refer. I'll probably push for a clutch overhaul (plates and maybe the cable also) cause the clutch slipping (though limited to high rpm for now) and that is a sure sign that things are going downhill and its gonna wear out my other parts faster.

@Cruiserian, wow 90kmph on a 750cc must have been a mega upset. I'm currently maxing out at 120-130kmph. It doesn't feel right for me cause that means when I maintain at 100-110kmph I can feel the bike starting to work harder than it should.

Haha. My carburetor was choked and caused one of my cylinder block to stop working. This is why it only runs at max 90kmph.

Good to hear that Looi's motor admitted that. Hope that they can diagnose the root cause. Shadow is a simple bike, it shouldn't be difficult to fix. :)

Cylinder block stop working? Doesn't that mean you were practically running on one cylinder only hahaha

Yes bro. Haha. This is what happen when the bike was neglected by ex owner.

Btw the bike also has overheating issue. The coolant keep dries up and the red temperature indicator keeps lighting up. After checking, my top gasket cracked, have to do top overhauling. And this cured the overheating issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Cylinder block stop working? Doesn't that mean you were practically running on one cylinder only hahaha

Happened to my Shadow as well because 1 spark plug cable wasn't plugged in properly after servicing. I found out when I went through all 4 of them and I heard the "click" sound of the cable :sian:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

• 4 weeks later...

Both are so nice!

Hi ya'll, any idea whichi bike shop in Singapore will be willing to accept pre-order & install whitewalls?

brudder.

Shinko at ah boon motorshop.. near ah boy.

Rear $170 installed.

My kakilangs for front, go to aunty shop at kaki bukit and install the clip on at $40.

Last i checked, chong aik have them but cash and carry.

Selling a used pair of Honda shadow ace 98-03 Original rear suspension for $60.

Function is perfect.

Small dent from previous owner but does not affect performance.

Msrp is 600USD for a pair.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/VT750C+A/REAR+SHOCK+ABSORBER/parts.html

• 2 weeks later...

20140802_113846.jpg

Hello!

Its so quiet here lately.

Sharing a picture of my 1998 Honda shadow ACE

Occasionally adding accessories here and there.

Front Chrome trim

Front Chrome accent

Carburetor Cover

Front Mudguard(So Important! Flying debris destroys the lower fins of the radiator!)

New Aftermarket Radiator. ( With Prestone 5 year once coolant)

Radiator Reflectors alike US models.

Engine bars a.k.a crashbars

Highway pegs.

Ultra wide Riders floor boards

Spotlight with visors

10" Mini Apes

Chrome Round mirrors

Wide chrome levers with skeleton face at end

Used a steed speedometer and removed the tank assembly

Progressive front Fork springs from progressive suspension

11.5 Inch Heavy duty Progressive rear suspension.

Uni High performance air filter(Re usable)

No cushion for rider. Tapered sponge for pillion.

38 tooth rear Sprocket

Passenger backrest, sissy bar and luggage rack

Passenger floor boards.

Some random saddle bags.

Custom running chain oiler.

Painted Engine case and spokes.

Dont mind the passenger armrest.. experimenting the viability.

She was giving me 23 KPL before the change to iridium plugs and mobil 1 10w40. Now 21 ):

Edited by Hydher