SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Honda cb190r

raden

While I'm no expert, I would like to give my own personal review, having travelled 1000km with it so far in less than 2 weeks as a P-plate rider.

First of all, I think it is important to describe a little about myself as a rider so as to put some context into the review. I'm 29yo, 1.78m, 80+kg, and my main use of having a bike is to commute to work daily from east to west (Tampines to Boon Lay; yeah it totally sucks), and I have intention to go into msia (up to Malacca) once I’m confident of my riding skills to visit friends and relatives.

Taking into account practicality and my usage needs, I only considered naked street bikes because of its upright riding position, relative longer riding range (fuel economy X fuel capacity), flexibility to add top and side boxes (without looking stupid) and decent enough speed. My initial shortlist includes the Bajaj Pulsar NS200, KTM Duke 200, Yamaha FZ16/150, Honda CBF150 and the Honda CB190R. I was actually quite geared towards the pulsar because of its priceerformance ratio (at least on paper), but on the day I passed my 2B TP (at CDC), I went over to Boonsiew Honda next door and took a look, and I fell in love with the CB190R when I saw it. After deliberating for a while, I decided to give up getting the NS200 because 1.) Universal Motor is quite far from my home and the thought of going there for servicing all the time kinda puts me off. 2.) Honda is reputable for its motorcycles as well as abundance of parts both local and overseas (I bought many aftermarket accessories for it from Taobao already!), and Ubi is relatively closer to my home.

So after riding it for 1000km, here are some of my thoughts.

The first 800km was the running-in period, and I tried my best not to push it too far (beyond 6k rpm). After the first (mineral) oil change, I was able to push it a little harder (the mechanic at Boonsiew say it’s ok to push to 100% after the first oil change). Top speed was rated to be about 122km/h (which in my opinion, is rather modest and somewhat disappointing for a 184cc engine) , based on some initial video reviews found online. 6k rpm at top gear is only about 60+km/h. The highest I went was about 105km/h (for only a brief moment) at about 8k+rpm. Redline is at 9.5k rpm. Midrange to high range acceleration is quite responsive, but moving off from first gear is very sluggish. Not sure if it’s my riding technique or what, but I often get out accelerated by other smaller 2b bikes at the traffic light, only to overtake them later. Engine vibrates quite abit in general, but I guess that’s expected from 2b bikes.

Fuel economy seems rather good. There’s no indicators, but based on my mileage and 2x full top ups (Caltex 98) so far, fuel consumption is about 55km/l (during running in period) and 50km/l (mix of running in and normal use). I suspect the FC will go down to about 45km/l once I start speeding along the PIE to and fro work every day, which is still pretty awesome fuel economy.

Brakes are very responsive and powerful, thanks to its two big disc brakes and perhaps the fact they are very new. There are times where I felt that I almost get a little fishtail whenever I hit the rear brake suddenly.

Suspension is quite good, and I could go 40-50km/h over humps without much butthurt (I normally adopt a half standing position when I go over humps anyway).

The dash and instrumentation is very nice, with nice electronic LCD displays. I only wished that there was a gear indicator (there’s an aftermarket accessory for that). I also don’t like the fact that it’s not a conventional handle bar, there is no visible bar in the middle to allow for clamping or mounting of accessories such as dashcam, phone/gps holder etc. My IU was fixed under my left mirror, and I think I will find a phone holder that goes under my right mirror. Another thing I don’t like is the position of the horn. I often accidently flick the horn when turn on/off the signal lights. Maybe it’s just me.

The throttle seems to have a long play, making a very large angle from close to fully open throttle. Maybe it’s to discourage riders to open throttle all the way.

Seat height is ok for me (but then again, I’m tall) but I wished the seat was a little more narrow. It’s slightly wide for my liking. Pillion seat is very comfortable although a little high.

The exhaust is very compact and minimalistic, reducing the likelihood of pillion getting burnt at the legs. However, the exhaust design may have affected the engine performance. I’m looking forward to legal aftermarket exhaust for the CB190R.

Front and rear lights are nice and bright but yet not glaring thanks to LED illumination.

That’s all for now. I may update again when I reach 5000 km mileage and after changing to fully synthetic engine oil. I welcome any questions or discussions.

Edited by silvermoon1407

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda being the reputable brand, price confirm kena mark up. Even tho KTM is a prestige brand, but 50/50 feels that the india made lineage is a warning rod for reliability issues, but still expensive.

True. But you do know that THIS particular Honda has a "Chinese made lineage" right?

A mid-lifer who started late on the motorised 2-wheeler game. Currently riding a 200NS - with a P-plate.

Randomly rants at www.sgBikerBoy.com

True. But you do know that THIS particular Honda has a "Chinese made lineage" right?

Yup, but that doesn't mean that the quality is bad. It's very common to find name brands outsourcing their design and manufacturing to Chinese OEMs.

KTM bikes are made in India, but they command a premium.

Quality means quality (or the lack of it). It has no direct correlation to the country of manufacture.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Yup, but that doesn't mean that the quality is bad. It's very common to find name brands outsourcing their design and manufacturing to Chinese OEMs.

KTM bikes are made in India, but they command a premium.

Quality means quality (or the lack of it). It has no direct correlation to the country of manufacture.

I wasn't trying to suggest a "good" or "bad" quality. Merely making an observation after savedqueen's reference to KTM's "50/50 feels that the india made lineage is a warning rod for reliability issues" when comparing it with the CB190R.

A mid-lifer who started late on the motorised 2-wheeler game. Currently riding a 200NS - with a P-plate.

I wasn't trying to suggest a "good" or "bad" quality. Merely making an observation after savedqueen's reference to KTM's "50/50 feels that the india made lineage is a warning rod for reliability issues" when comparing it with the CB190R.

Either way, I believe if you treat your machine well, it will serve u well :)

• 3 weeks later...
The first 800km was the running-in period, and I tried my best not to push it too far (beyond 6k rpm). After the first (mineral) oil change, I was able to push it a little harder (the mechanic at Boonsiew say it’s ok to push to 100% after the first oil change). Top speed was rated to be about 122km/h (which in my opinion, is rather modest and somewhat disappointing for a 184cc engine) , based on some initial video reviews found online. 6k rpm at top gear is only about 60+km/h. The highest I went was about 105km/h (for only a brief moment) at about 8k+rpm. Redline is at 9.5k rpm. Midrange to high range acceleration is quite responsive, but moving off from first gear is very sluggish. Not sure if it’s my riding technique or what, but I often get out accelerated by other smaller 2b bikes at the traffic light, only to overtake them later. Engine vibrates quite abit in general, but I guess that’s expected from 2b bikes.

Fuel economy seems rather good. There’s no indicators, but based on my mileage and 2x full top ups (Caltex 98) so far, fuel consumption is about 55km/l (during running in period) and 50km/l (mix of running in and normal use). I suspect the FC will go down to about 45km/l once I start speeding along the PIE to and fro work every day, which is still pretty awesome fuel economy.

Brakes are very responsive and powerful, thanks to its two big disc brakes and perhaps the fact they are very new. There are times where I felt that I almost get a little fishtail whenever I hit the rear brake suddenly.

Suspension is quite good, and I could go 40-50km/h over humps without much butthurt (I normally adopt a half standing position when I go over humps anyway).

Nice. I'm considering switching to this from my Pulsar 200 NS but it seems the 190R also has the issue of low power output in gear 1 from your experience; is it bad? My 200 NS sputters in gear 2 when going up slopes and struggles to go upslope in gear 1. Is the throttle responsive in gear 1?

RPM: 6k at 60+ kmph is quite bad imo, but it seems the fuel economy still does well despite this (which the 200 NS does not suffer from; I cruise in the KPE at gear 6, 5k RPM, ~80 kmph). Still, anything above 35 kmpl is good enough for me; 40+ is optimal.

Are the gear switches smooth like most Hondas? Because my Pulsar 200 NS has false neutral issues from gear 1 to 2... mechanics don't know how to fix it.

Also, you mentioned vibration; do your hands get numb for long rides? The vibration on my 200 NS ensures numbness after about 20km.

Looking forward to the next review :cool:

Nice. I'm considering switching to this from my Pulsar 200 NS but it seems the 190R also has the issue of low power output in gear 1 from your experience; is it bad? My 200 NS sputters in gear 2 when going up slopes and struggles to go upslope in gear 1. Is the throttle responsive in gear 1?

RPM: 6k at 60+ kmph is quite bad imo, but it seems the fuel economy still does well despite this (which the 200 NS does not suffer from; I cruise in the KPE at gear 6, 5k RPM, ~80 kmph). Still, anything above 35 kmpl is good enough for me; 40+ is optimal.

Are the gear switches smooth like most Hondas? Because my Pulsar 200 NS has false neutral issues from gear 1 to 2... mechanics don't know how to fix it.

Also, you mentioned vibration; do your hands get numb for long rides? The vibration on my 200 NS ensures numbness after about 20km.

Wait for 2nd hand ones

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk

Have you taken your 200NS to let the mechanics at Universal Motors take a look? They are the sole distributors and probably the most familiar with repairing the Pulsars.

Have you taken your 200NS to let the mechanics at Universal Motors take a look? They are the sole distributors and probably the most familiar with repairing the Pulsars.

The mechanics I mentioned are from Universal. I already mentioned the false neutral twice but they say no problem (more like can't be bothered) but oh well I just have to kick up harder. It's irritating though.

For the CB190R, gear 1 has alot of torque, which may be the design consideration for the bike, a powerful low-speed urban machine. This is partly due to the gear ratio, with 14 teeth on the front sprocket and 45 teeth on the rear. Which is also why the top speed is rather modest at only around 120km/h. My previous complain about low power was probably due to my conservative riding (I dun rev alot at low gear) and unrealistic expectations. In reality, this bike is more powerful than it is fast. Slopes are nothing to this bike.

I do get false neutrals sporadically, but that's usually because of poor riding technique. If u try to shift up from 1 to 2 with insufficient speed/rpm at gear 1, you will tend to hit neutral. So just throttle up abit more before shifting.

Since my last review, I made a trip up north to Kluang, Johor, and was full throttle (9k rpm; redline was 9.5k) almost all the way for close to 2 hours. Fuel consumption dropped to a staggering 27km/L compared to 45/L the way I normally ride in SG (90-100km/h). I've decided to change the front sprocket to a 16 teeth, to increase top speed as well as improve fuel consumption at the expense of acceleration. Will update once I change and get it tested.

I wear gloves when I ride, so I dun really get numb so easily

For the CB190R, gear 1 has alot of torque, which may be the design consideration for the bike, a powerful low-speed urban machine. This is partly due to the gear ratio, with 14 teeth on the front sprocket and 45 teeth on the rear. Which is also why the top speed is rather modest at only around 120km/h. My previous complain about low power was probably due to my conservative riding (I dun rev alot at low gear) and unrealistic expectations. In reality, this bike is more powerful than it is fast. Slopes are nothing to this bike.

I do get false neutrals sporadically, but that's usually because of poor riding technique. If u try to shift up from 1 to 2 with insufficient speed/rpm at gear 1, you will tend to hit neutral. So just throttle up abit more before shifting.

Since my last review, I made a trip up north to Kluang, Johor, and was full throttle (9k rpm; redline was 9.5k) almost all the way for close to 2 hours. Fuel consumption dropped to a staggering 27km/L compared to 45/L the way I normally ride in SG (90-100km/h). I've decided to change the front sprocket to a 16 teeth, to increase top speed as well as improve fuel consumption at the expense of acceleration. Will update once I change and get it tested.

I wear gloves when I ride, so I dun really get numb so easily

Thanks for the insights... looking good, I might buy this next year when people start selling :p

I guess I can live with the false neutrals; not that big of a deal. Low gear torque/power is actually better than top-end speed IMO, especially in Singapore; not really looking to going to Malaysia to speed so no biggie.

The fuel economy you mentioned is ideal for me (I don't go past ~93 kmph anyway). As for vibrations, I also wear gloves leh haha... I guess for the CB190 I can try to install heavy bar ends or fill them with lead shot to reduce vibration.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, am new here. New rider as well, just got my 2B license. Anws, I bought mine at Speedway Motors located at Toh Guan. Paid $13,XXX including COE, however excluding Insurance. Insurance comprehensive, at $984. AXA Insurance. Repsol Paintwork.

Still waiting for the bike, hopefully by this week or next week at most. Got the first 12 units booked, I'm assuming its already been sold out however been seeing a lot of post of other bike shops such as Ban Hon, United Cycles, Unique Motorsports, HL Cycles and Heng Motors. Anyone else interested may look there to enquire.

The bike Tank is 12Litres. 40 to 45km per litre, I'm assuming 500 to 520km before fully dried up, maybe depends on the rider. I will continue to put in my personal reviews once the bike is handed over to me for usage.

Hi, my TP soon in Oct, currently im surveying bike. As u stated that u just get your Class 2B and the insurance $9++. Can i know how old are u? As i can roughly estimate my insurance to buy bike. Thank u.

Hi, my TP soon in Oct, currently im surveying bike. As u stated that u just get your Class 2B and the insurance $9++. Can i know how old are u? As i can roughly estimate my insurance to buy bike. Thank u.

190r is one of the bike to consider. insurance, comprehensive can gauge at 9++, esp to those just passed 2B. unless u plan to take only TPFT... if plan to ride short term, I suggest to get comprehensive if possible.

Assalamualaikum/Hello to fellow bikers...

Price : $19.90 Only with installation !!!LOWEST PRICE IN CAROUSELL !!!

100% Genuine Made In USA.

Over 400 pairs were sold !!!

PROMOTION !!!

Buy 2 pairs and above at $18/= per pair only !!! Purchase 4 pairs and above and enjoy free delivery + installation..

Contact me at 83885695 (Wan)

Pls check my listing at Carousell :

https://carousell.com/grabongrip

* 100 pairs sold in a month !! Customers who bought it, recommended to their friends coz this product WERKZ !!!

A MUST HAVE for your daily ride !!

-----------------------------------

- Grab On Grip covers reduce vibration and give you a softer feel, reducing hand and wrist fatigue, so you won't have that tingly feeling in your hands after a long ride.

- There are riders riding sportbikes with low handle bars, complain of sore palms from leaning on the grips for so long. With Grab On Grip covers, these problems will be a thing of the past !!!

- Grab On Grip covers allow you to ride in more comfort, especially on those long rides. PERFECT for the daily commuter, tour rider, and sport riders alike.

Features

---------

- Slip over existing grips for greater comfort, or to renew worn grips.

- Work with heated or standard grips.

- Save $$$, no need change the whole heater grip system which is very costly.

- Shock absorbing EPDM foam for a smoother ride.

- Provide comfort to wrist and palm. (Great for touring !!)

- Glove friendly.

- Extra durable, ozone, UV, gas and oil resistant

- Grip Covers MC402/width 1.25-1.45"/5"Length.

** Fits class 2, 2A, 2B bikes as long as its a standard grip, it can fit .

** There's customers that bought and fit it on their bicycles too !!!

Great for city riding where there's lots of traffic light, your hand will be tired during the on going "stop go" situation, this product will help to ease the stress on palm n wrist. Highly recommended for despatch/delivery riders.

"Once you try it, you'll LOVE it"

NOTE : Lot of customers been asking what's the difference between Grab On Grip with another brand that's selling @ $30-$35.

Ans :

- 1st of all, Grab on Grip is Made in USA while the other grip is Made in UK. So the difference in currencies. USD vs Pound Sterling

- Difference in QUALITY. No doubt both are EPDM Foam but customers that have used Grab On Grip and have tried the "other brand", eventually came back to use Grab On Grip. Customers claimed that the "other brand" became smelly after using it for awhile and it tends to slip to the balancer causing the throttle to "stuck" which is VERY DANGEROUS. They have never face this problem when using Grab On Grip. Well, expensive things doesn't mean its good.

- Some customers asked how come mine is "cheaper" than the rest ?

Ans : There's no need for me to claim i'm the "dealer/distributor" when the product i sell is 100% Genuine Made in USA.. As a biker, I wanted to share my great experience of using this product for more than 5 years at an affordable price.

------------------------------------

Tags : BMW - All models. Ducati - All Models. KTM - All Models. Harleys (Only if its standard grips. Those oversize grips, can't fit). Triumph - All models. Moto Guzzi, Reiju, Kawasaki - All models. Honda - All models. Yamaha - All models. Phantom, RXZ, Piaggio Vespa Gilera, Motard, Scramblers, Kups.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337217[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337218[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337219[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337220[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337221[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337222[/ATTACH]

#GrabOnGrip #GOG

Edited by WanFazer

"Shut Up n Ride"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Friend having same situation, Duke and CB190R both single cylinder EFI models. Within 2B bike, even tho theres only a small difference of engine displacement on specs, it is a big difference that users can feel directly on the road.

Looks wise, both are aggressive and modern looking, even my mom looks good riding it. Accessories are almost universal, only certified pipes might be an afterthought if you plan to install one.

Honda being the reputable brand, price confirm kena mark up. Even tho KTM is a prestige brand, but 50/50 feels that the india made lineage is a warning rod for reliability issues, but still expensive.

Last but not least, Duke has the option of ABS.

Conclusion, I would take the KTM (in today's context) for its price similarity with Cb190R but with the option of ABS, proven reliability over the years and I would somehow prefer KTM's lineage of single cylinders. Having personally ridden duke 200, it is smooth as butter for a single cylinder bike, each strokes feel more heavy and powerful compared to fz16, which the honda cb190r share similar specs to. OR if you are a new rider, consider to save up for a 2A bike, given the need to buy comprehensive insurance, running in and know-hows of caring for a brand new bike. (The image of me dropping my new bike on the first month still hurts)

Okay I may be spouting nonsense but thats what me and my fren came to a conclusion with. Still loving the look of that CB190R tho

Does anyone have the experience of riding the FZ16v2 and the CB190R? Would the CB190R feel more solid for long commutes?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...