SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Possible Solutions to your Phantom's Problem

jB

Wah bro you are good man washing your own carb, anyway i hope this is the problem else a bit sian when engine die at traffic.

Nt sure y sum ppl say no nd clean carb one. Even ahchong say so. Mine i clean myself. Then 2 mths ltr, i open up again to check and there were some stains. Used local fuel and nv put in any additive still like dat. So to me, every yr clean once shud be done. Imagine 5-6 yrs old nv open up b4 duno look like wat.

Btw carb oso tuning might be off, causing the problems u describe like engine dying off. Noise could be many things. I tink cam chain shudnt be so loud, n usually wen idling got. Cux when revving, the chain shud tighten. Try check ur chain slack 1st.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Spark let us know if it solve after changing cam chain.

Other then that got no idea already. Good luck

Hmm i think after all the big hooha i made, i think its just because of the loose chain(not cam chain, the main one). Cause i changed CCT and tighten chain as well. Prob solved. Now only big problem is leaky Fuelcock(petcock). I got the new fuelcock alr, now awaiting installation.

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Hmm i think after all the big hooha i made, i think its just because of the loose chain(not cam chain, the main one). Cause i changed CCT and tighten chain as well. Prob solved. Now only big problem is leaky Fuelcock(petcock). I got the new fuelcock alr, now awaiting installation.

Great! Nvm the CCT oso u chg is for peace of mind. Cheap fix that can potentially me expensive if totally left untouched. Now just make sure keep ur chain well lubed and clean. Fix ur petcock and enjoy the ride!

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

Great! Nvm the CCT oso u chg is for peace of mind. Cheap fix that can potentially me expensive if totally left untouched. Now just make sure keep ur chain well lubed and clean. Fix ur petcock and enjoy the ride!

Haha but there's still slight sound coming from my engine. Mech say cam, lobes etc basically the top part of engine is worn and will need overhauling. But he advise me to ride first and dont think so much. Roughly 6months later or more then decide.

2A - On going...

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Haha but there's still slight sound coming from my engine. Mech say cam, lobes etc basically the top part of engine is worn and will need overhauling. But he advise me to ride first and dont think so much. Roughly 6months later or more then decide.

Oh then okay lor. U just monitor ur engine oil level over the nxt few mths. Then in d meantym set aside money for the overhaul. :)

Oh then okay lor. U just monitor ur engine oil level over the nxt few mths. Then in d meantym set aside money for the overhaul. :)

Yeap exactly what the mechanic told me. And planning exactly that. Haha. Planning to overhaul when i hit 10k km mark riding this bike.

2A - On going...

Anyone had before, trouble when screwing back the right side chrome cover? the one below thigh.. When I try to put back, mine cannot fit back properly leh, like if screw in then one side the clippy edge cannot go in fully?

The cover will clip in i tink with 2 notches. Wen d cover is fitted properly, the screw hole will be aligned swee swee. Then u can fasten d screw.

The cover will clip in i tink with 2 notches. Wen d cover is fitted properly, the screw hole will be aligned swee swee. Then u can fasten d screw.

Cannot leg, when i align the 2 notches, the screw will be off, then when i align the screw, the top notch will pop out.. Now i no choice just screw, but notches never put in, so its like flimsy and wobbly

Cannot leg, when i align the 2 notches, the screw will be off, then when i align the screw, the top notch will pop out.. Now i no choice just screw, but notches never put in, so its like flimsy and wobbly

weird. the 2 notches needs to be pushed in into the hole. it will snap in. in fact if both are in, no need screw oso wont drop. its a very strong snap. try again.

So Naim, bro. How is the scooter compared to phantom? Isnt it boring no more gear changes? :cheeky:

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

So Naim, bro. How is the scooter compared to phantom? Isnt it boring no more gear changes? :cheeky:

Shiok! Haha honestly im thankful for the auto. Its so convenient for singapore start-stop traffic. I can cruise faster and more comfortably as well. Loads of storage space too. The only downside is the higher running costs la.

Anyway even after changing CCT, theres still a slight constant ticking sound when the engine is idling. I looked at some videos online that sounded similar to mine and im pretty sure the cam chain is worn, which the mech told me as well. Guess had to spend again to change the cam chain and hopefully not the sprockets as well.

2A - On going...

same goes here.. i had a piston change for the eo consumption issue and had the CCT replaced as well during overhaul.. the cam chain ticking seems to be always there but i thought as long its not clanging like a machine gun burst when u let off the throttle i would think its *still* fine for the moment? some has to correct me if im wrong.

i dont think the cam chain or the other parts are expensive though! its the overhaul of the top end that will rip a chunk off your wallet.. =X

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

same goes here.. i had a piston change for the eo consumption issue and had the CCT replaced as well during overhaul.. the cam chain ticking seems to be always there but i thought as long its not clanging like a machine gun burst when u let off the throttle i would think its *still* fine for the moment? some has to correct me if im wrong.

i dont think the cam chain or the other parts are expensive though! its the overhaul of the top end that will rip a chunk off your wallet.. =X

Haha still a good $200. Anyway just came back from Bike Project (or Project bike, cant rmbr). The mech told me nothing wrong with the engine leh. =S Hmmm wonder whats wrong. But funny thing is when im riding its like normal riding, but when idling then can hear the ticking sound. Strange. In the past i dont hear it.

2A - On going...

wow $200 for replacement of what parts? mines 380 @ planet.. new piston.. cylinder rehoned.. new cct.. head gasket and engine oil! dunno if he replaced my spark plug bcos i replaced 3 wks before going to planet!

maybe u should hv asked tick tick sound is what.. now im getting paranoid of every single sound from the engine block! im not even sure if its idling at the correct rpm now!

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Shiok! Haha honestly im thankful for the auto. Its so convenient for singapore start-stop traffic. I can cruise faster and more comfortably as well. Loads of storage space too. The only downside is the higher running costs la.

Ic. enjoy your ride bro :)

Bro, why didn't you get the cam chain also replaced during the overhaul? Although the part itself is cheap the labour of replacing it is almost close to top overhaul. In case of pulsar to change cam chain need to open the engine head as well as the right side crankcase cover. Phantom also same I guess.

You are right if the sound is mild i think you don't have to worry much other than living with the sound itself.

to be honest replacing the cam chain totally slipped my mind when i sent it in.. cos i specifically remb to ask for a CCT replacement but cleanly forget abt the cam chain! when i remb about it surgery's over! :sian:

i think i have to ask ah chong the nx time i go in for the eo change if he saw anything unusual with the cam chain.

not too sure the right crankcase was opened as well cos they would have seen my clutch plates were worn and i went there again yesterday just to get the plates and some clutch hub replaced!

the sound for me is bearable but when the engine is idling the engine sound is inconsistent! planning to address the issue the nxt time when i change eo.. zzz

Edited by sawfly
missed out a word

to be honest replacing the cam chain totally slipped my mind when i sent it in.. cos i specifically remb to ask for a CCT replacement but cleanly forget abt the cam chain! when i remb about it surgery's over! :sian:

i think i have to ask ah chong the nx time i go in for the eo change if he saw anything unusual with the cam chain.

not too sure the right crankcase was opened as well cos they would have seen my clutch plates were worn and i went there again yesterday just to get the plates and some clutch hub replaced!

the sound for me is bearable but when the engine is idling the engine sound is inconsistent! planning to address the issue the nxt time when i change eo.. zzz

Wah bro ur engine idling sound also inconsistent? Mine also sia. Not only that, the vibrations are inconsistent. Sometimes vibrate like harley davidson, sometimes smooth. Weird.

2A - On going...

i think it's only in the first 5 mins when i warm up in the morning? after when i ride to work the idling seems to be more consistent.. and even more consistent after i changed from semisynth to chex9000!

when u say harley like as if the engine sound skip one beat that kind? that went away after i changed the eo recently..

i think it's only in the first 5 mins when i warm up in the morning? after when i ride to work the idling seems to be more consistent.. and even more consistent after i changed from semisynth to chex9000!

when u say harley like as if the engine sound skip one beat that kind? that went away after i changed the eo recently..

yeah, but it only happens after i warmed up. And with the tapping/ticking sound. Saw some videos and found out might be timing chain worn alr need replacement, affecting the valves timing.

2A - On going...

yeah, but it only happens after i warmed up. And with the tapping/ticking sound. Saw some videos and found out might be timing chain worn alr need replacement, affecting the valves timing.

I think now hear the noise also can't tell what is the problem leh.. maybe record that noise and upload?

Anyway cam chain is wear and wear component so just replace when you do yr overhaul den? Or.. just go for it overhaul now and replace all that is crucial one shot! :)

I think now hear the noise also can't tell what is the problem leh.. maybe record that noise and upload?

Anyway cam chain is wear and wear component so just replace when you do yr overhaul den? Or.. just go for it overhaul now and replace all that is crucial one shot! :)

I dont have video cam leh. Heck i dont even have a camera phone. XD But nvm, will try use DSLR upload one day. Anyway i think my piston and piston ring is gone.... Did oil change and 800km later the EO is all gone. Had to topup. Sian. Think gonna overhaul it now. Just now when riding at low speed and low rpm bike suddenly jerk n jerk like machiam no petrol (i just top up full tank). Maybe carb dirty or smth. My clutch also got prob, can't kick into Neutral at all. Guess just do everything sui sui once n for all, top overhaul, wash/service carb, etc.

Edited by Spark_135

2A - On going...