SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Possible Solutions to your Phantom's Problem

jB

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway regarding my eo issue after I change they say loss not a lot so ok leh! Im like losing 100ml per 400km I think so I dunno liao sia.. hv to monitor still!

What I found it weird was when my bike is lower on eo (below xxxx mark) it was easier to pickup! When I top up 100ml can feel the performance loss.. den when today change and fill 1 litre like abit difficult to pickup! Is there some reason or its psychological? LOL

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

hello guys my speedo went crazy for 3 seconds ytd night on PIE, was travelling 120 on speedo and the needle suddenly jumped to 160 and vibrate like mad at that point. After that 3 seconds, the needle went back to normal and the speedo light became super bright for a short moment, now my speedo light is dimmer than before(bulb uplorry alr?). Any guys know what's the issue here?

Anyway regarding my eo issue after I change they say loss not a lot so ok leh! Im like losing 100ml per 400km I think so I dunno liao sia.. hv to monitor still!

What I found it weird was when my bike is lower on eo (below xxxx mark) it was easier to pickup! When I top up 100ml can feel the performance loss.. den when today change and fill 1 litre like abit difficult to pickup! Is there some reason or its psychological? LOL

With 1 ltr the pickup you get is the normal pickup. When there is less EO, there is less drag and hence good pickup but its very bad for the engine. If you are using 50 weight EO(thicker EO), then next EO change you can try 40 weight EO you will get better pickup. But 50 weight is better for protection and also for gear changes, thicker oil is better.

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

With 1 ltr the pickup you get is the normal pickup. When there is less EO, there is less drag and hence good pickup but its very bad for the engine. If you are using 50 weight EO(thicker EO), then next EO change you can try 40 weight EO you will get better pickup. But 50 weight is better for protection and also for gear changes, thicker oil is better.

that make sense! i didnt think too much abt it until u mentioned. which makes me wonder if my eo loss will be reduced if i used lower weight eo with easier pickup.. im more concerned about protecting the engine though, since i juz overhaul it recently only.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Sawfly bro, i checked oil ytd and my EO level did not drop at all. Still full (XXXX) after 800km. Maybe u may wanna check somewhere where the eo has gone to? Anyway sian not long after overhaul bike break down le :( Carb is spoilt, flooding the engine with petrol. Was riding along AYE with my pillion at engine rpm was low. Wanted to trottle up to pickup speed as car infront got faster, then engine died. Cant restart for 2-3mins, managed to restart at the end. Upon restart want to trottle up, engine kept sputtering but didnt die cause i never open trottle wide open, scared it dies again. After few tries managed to "clear its throat" after some tries and moved off.

Reached usual bike tiam and check if its really carb prob, and true it was. Take out spark plug and its crazily fouled, 3/4 of it is white, 1/4 is charred black/brownish. Bike also back firing like pop corn cooking when deccelerating. Sian wonder how much it costs to repair the carb. Shop say it's be gonna be exp, if can ride, just carry on riding lor. Then ok lo, went off to meet my friend as im late. On my way there ok no prob. When heading back home, was pillioning another friend, halfway of the journey broke down at a junction again. Same thing repeats itself. When reach near my house, same thing happened again. So now bike is almost close to unrideable. How can i choose not to repair it? :/ Sian.

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Sawfly bro, i checked oil ytd and my EO level did not drop at all. Still full (XXXX) after 800km. Maybe u may wanna check somewhere where the eo has gone to? Anyway sian not long after overhaul bike break down le :( Carb is spoilt, flooding the engine with petrol. Was riding along AYE with my pillion at engine rpm was low. Wanted to trottle up to pickup speed as car infront got faster, then engine died. Cant restart for 2-3mins, managed to restart at the end. Upon restart want to trottle up, engine kept sputtering but didnt die cause i never open trottle wide open, scared it dies again. After few tries managed to "clear its throat" after some tries and moved off.

Reached usual bike tiam and check if its really carb prob, and true it was. Take out spark plug and its crazily fouled, 3/4 of it is white, 1/4 is charred black/brownish. Bike also back firing like pop corn cooking when deccelerating. Sian wonder how much it costs to repair the carb. Shop say it's be gonna be exp, if can ride, just carry on riding lor. Then ok lo, went off to meet my friend as im late. On my way there ok no prob. When heading back home, was pillioning another friend, halfway of the journey broke down at a junction again. Same thing repeats itself. When reach near my house, same thing happened again. So now bike is almost close to unrideable. How can i choose not to repair it? :/ Sian.

honestly i ran out of ideas where the eo can go. its juz weird. i even start to suspect its the way i check eo so im like checking eo everywhere i find flat ground and varying ways of putting the dipstick in and it changes every time! best part is ah chong told me the eo loss isnt much after the 1km change so i was wondering whether its my error in checking.

for yr carb issue, did the shop say what is exactly wrong with the carb? it seems that yr bike a lot of random issues leh.. must do full health check up.. engine suddenly die not a good thing in heavy traffic leh. oh btw my backfiring only happens once in a while in the morning so i didnt think much about it..

honestly i ran out of ideas where the eo can go. its juz weird. i even start to suspect its the way i check eo so im like checking eo everywhere i find flat ground and varying ways of putting the dipstick in and it changes every time! best part is ah chong told me the eo loss isnt much after the 1km change so i was wondering whether its my error in checking.

for yr carb issue, did the shop say what is exactly wrong with the carb? it seems that yr bike a lot of random issues leh.. must do full health check up.. engine suddenly die not a good thing in heavy traffic leh. oh btw my backfiring only happens once in a while in the morning so i didnt think much about it..

Haha as for your EO, really no idea what went wrong man hahaha.

As for my carb, got a few times before happen but not often, engine rpm suddenly dip sharply then come back up again sharply, resulting in a jerk, happened when low rpm and uphill and trying to open trottle up. My backfiring is like brop brop brop, not a loud bang. Shop say maybe seal inside broken or something, but i think he meant needle float is stucked open, flooding the engine. Sometimes there is a strong petrol smell even tho theres no leak. Read somewhere needle float stuck open quite common esp if the carb is dirty. Simple yet high skilled task to service the carb in this case. Needle float is extremely sensitive.

2A - On going...

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

As for my carb, got a few times before happen but not often, engine rpm suddenly dip sharply then come back up again sharply, resulting in a jerk, happened when low rpm and uphill and trying to open trottle up. My backfiring is like brop brop brop, not a loud bang. Shop say maybe seal inside broken or something, but i think he meant needle float is stucked open, flooding the engine. Sometimes there is a strong petrol smell even tho theres no leak(external view. Havent get to see the inside). Read somewhere needle float stuck open quite common esp if the carb is dirty. Simple yet high skilled task to service the carb in this case. Needle float is extremely sensitive.

2A - On going...

As for my carb, got a few times before happen but not often, engine rpm suddenly dip sharply then come back up again sharply, resulting in a jerk, happened when low rpm and uphill and trying to open trottle up. My backfiring is like brop brop brop, not a loud bang. Shop say maybe seal inside broken or something, but i think he meant needle float is stucked open, flooding the engine. Sometimes there is a strong petrol smell even tho theres no leak(external view. Havent get to see the inside). Read somewhere needle float stuck open quite common esp if the carb is dirty. Simple yet high skilled task to service the carb in this case. Needle float is extremely sensitive.

my back fire is more of a pop, not a bang =X in any case u mean this only happens at low rpm? i think naim may have a good opinion on this since he got wash carb on his own one. i think u will only know once u disassemble the carb since u cant see which seal is broken also thats causing the engine to be flooded.

btw just side tracking, i scared to maintain low rpm when i pillion. scared rear wheel no power to siam if need be because of increased load.

rather kick down gear and increase fc den compromise on safety.. just my own thoughts..

my back fire is more of a pop, not a bang =X in any case u mean this only happens at low rpm? i think naim may have a good opinion on this since he got wash carb on his own one. i think u will only know once u disassemble the carb since u cant see which seal is broken also thats causing the engine to be flooded.

btw just side tracking, i scared to maintain low rpm when i pillion. scared rear wheel no power to siam if need be because of increased load.

rather kick down gear and increase fc den compromise on safety.. just my own thoughts..

Yeah at low rpm. But thats after i open trottle wide, close, then slowly open, engine sputters and dies. This i believe should only mean one thing: needle valve is not seating properly or even stuck open. Engine dont need fuel but carb feeds it more from the "faulty" needle valve. Haha i dont pillion at very low rpm, nor do i low rpm when riding normally. Anyway confirm carb is flooded. I took out the air filter and my airbox has petrol in it. This can only mean carb is flooded, backflowing into the airbox. Guess need to service and clean it liao.

2A - On going...

Yeah at low rpm. But thats after i open trottle wide, close, then slowly open, engine sputters and dies. This i believe should only mean one thing: needle valve is not seating properly or even stuck open. Engine dont need fuel but carb feeds it more from the "faulty" needle valve. Haha i dont pillion at very low rpm, nor do i low rpm when riding normally. Anyway confirm carb is flooded. I took out the air filter and my airbox has petrol in it. This can only mean carb is flooded, backflowing into the airbox. Guess need to service and clean it liao.

that's quite bad leh.. backflow into airbox! whats the estimated damages? =X

that's quite bad leh.. backflow into airbox! whats the estimated damages? =X

Ya lo. No idea. Quite shocking. Only ytd kena like that. Before that no warning one.

2A - On going...

Ya lo. No idea. Quite shocking. Only ytd kena like that. Before that no warning one.

hopefully yr carb prob can be solved asap man.. can be quite disruptive to yr time.. how abt your steering was it rectified?

hopefully yr carb prob can be solved asap man.. can be quite disruptive to yr time.. how abt your steering was it rectified?

Ok carb washed n serviced. Air filter changed too. But then i think i shld get slapped. Heres why:

After collect bike from shop, rode home. Just below my house bike sputtered again and jerk. I thought to myself, **** problem not solved?! Then bike stalled. While trying to think why, petrol level low warning light slowly lit up. Then i open tank and check, damn not even 1L of petrol left. Forgot i now got a new petcock that has a reserve option; my previous petcock does not have this and when petrol runs low it automatically taps into reserve. Very risky as once your reserve is used up and u have no idea, ur basically stucked on the road. Anyway switched to reserve and went to petrol kiosk to fill up. A whopping 9.1L into the tank. Turns out tank is really empty.

Stupid me.

2A - On going...

My airbox also has a bit of petrol stain in it. Is that normal?

My airbox also has a bit of petrol stain in it. Is that normal?

No idea. Thats what puzzles me. If no petrol the one that's causing the problem i mentioned in my post, why is there petrol in it? But i tink again i dropped my bike 1month ago. Might have caused some petrol to spill into it i suppose.

Anyway its good to open up airbox once awhile. When i open out found a small leave before the filter. Wonder how it got in there.

Edited by Spark_135

2A - On going...

Ok carb washed n serviced. Air filter changed too. But then i think i shld get slapped. Heres why:

After collect bike from shop, rode home. Just below my house bike sputtered again and jerk. I thought to myself, **** problem not solved?! Then bike stalled. While trying to think why, petrol level low warning light slowly lit up. Then i open tank and check, damn not even 1L of petrol left. Forgot i now got a new petcock that has a reserve option; my previous petcock does not have this and when petrol runs low it automatically taps into reserve. Very risky as once your reserve is used up and u have no idea, ur basically stucked on the road. Anyway switched to reserve and went to petrol kiosk to fill up. A whopping 9.1L into the tank. Turns out tank is really empty.

Stupid me.

lol u forgot u were running on reserve? and wah how u know its less than 1L just by looking only sia? when i hit 300km after refuel usually i scared and top up already =D i also kena the low fuel issue before so dun say yrself stupid la!

if u think thats not so smart think about starting yr engine with the fuel tap off, cranking until yr battery flat and then some not so awesome time trying to push start =X

maybe the petrol stain is actually its just condensated fuel vapor from the crankcase PCV? if its not a lot i dont think its a huge issue though?

i would take a look if the crankcase breather tube is filled up though..

It could be oil from ur engine as well. Excess engine oil from the crankcase can be evacuated into the airbox if its overfilled or to relieve excess pressure.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

It could be oil from ur engine as well. Excess engine oil from the crankcase can be evacuated into the airbox if its overfilled or to relieve excess pressure.

Exactly. Best way to confirmt that it is EO and not petrol is smell it. Petrol has a strong smell and also petrol dries quickly, when you touch it wont be moist if it is petrol. If it is EO it will still be wet.

BTW, Phantom has paper filter and not foam so paper will get damaged quickly with any EO in it compared to Foam filter, where you can still squeeze it out and put it back.

Exactly. Best way to confirmt that it is EO and not petrol is smell it. Petrol has a strong smell and also petrol dries quickly, when you touch it wont be moist if it is petrol. If it is EO it will still be wet.

BTW, Phantom has paper filter and not foam so paper will get damaged quickly with any EO in it compared to Foam filter, where you can still squeeze it out and put it back.

Wah think might be EO. Cause it doesnt dry up at all. But there isnt a puddle. Just very thin layer of oil. Only at the corner of the airbox there's some EO. But funny thing is when i open up the airbox theres a strong petrol vapour. Or is it just EO vapour?

lol u forgot u were running on reserve? and wah how u know its less than 1L just by looking only sia? when i hit 300km after refuel usually i scared and top up already =D i also kena the low fuel issue before so dun say yrself stupid la!

if u think thats not so smart think about starting yr engine with the fuel tap off, cranking until yr battery flat and then some not so awesome time trying to push start =X

maybe the petrol stain is actually its just condensated fuel vapor from the crankcase PCV? if its not a lot i dont think its a huge issue though?

i would take a look if the crankcase breather tube is filled up though..

Oh no la. I was running on "ON" but petrol ran out liao. Then almost forgot still got reserve, switched to it, and went to top petrol

2A - On going...

Anyone got before, when pillion people, got a squeaky noise coming from dunno where?! When I ownself ride no sound leh, only when pillion.. maybe is rear axle something wrong?

Could be from the shock absorbers also