SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Possible Solutions to your Phantom's Problem

jB

Just apply the force u use wen u brake hard. cux scared too much u might end up break d seal in ur master cylinder or caliper pistons and leaks.

hmm. i used a daiso reflective arm strap to tie down the thing to since the whole point is just to open the valve! after quite a bit of non stop pumpumping today the free play is sort of reduced already but not so satisfactory yet =X

Dont think so leh. It should still have some clearance but maybe tight clearance. You need to use really alot of brakes to trip down the excess. Mine also sometimes the pad touches the disc. Ask mech to check, he spins the wheel, wheel moves fast and freely. So dont know whats going on also XD

mine doesnt spin much, need mild effort to roll it with the disc rubbing on the pad. the caliper is hot and disc is hot after riding!

perhaps its still new and i have to go back one week later anyway for the next round of checking..

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just be careful for the next few days as the new pad starts to get seasoned to the disc. to get it to optimum i tink will need a few weeks at least, esp if ur disc has grooves and not even. for now just brake more gently and gradually. :)

hope that at least by 2mr ur brake lever gets abit more solid.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

top overhauled my bike 6 months ago. ytd while riding at expressway, suddenly bike loses power but still able to move. next morning on engine got knocking sound. bring to shop and they say piston must change. twice within 6 months? is it possible. engine oil change regularly every 2000km. any advice?

top overhauled my bike 6 months ago. ytd while riding at expressway, suddenly bike loses power but still able to move. next morning on engine got knocking sound. bring to shop and they say piston must change. twice within 6 months? is it possible. engine oil change regularly every 2000km. any advice?

Ask around for advice. Once i also same as you. On highway engine loses power and eventually dies if i low trottle. Its either my earth cable spoilt thats causing the prob(which also prevented my from starting the bike) or a rusty tank choking the fuel filter. Both happened at the same time. Engine knocking sounds abit like fuel air mixture problem. If piston spoilt it should sound loud. Might be your ignition timing off? Timing off can cause knocking also.

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Ask around for advice. Once i also same as you. On highway engine loses power and eventually dies if i low trottle. Its either my earth cable spoilt thats causing the prob(which also prevented my from starting the bike) or a rusty tank choking the fuel filter. Both happened at the same time. Engine knocking sounds abit like fuel air mixture problem. If piston spoilt it should sound loud. Might be your ignition timing off? Timing off can cause knocking also.

I went 2 different shops both say the same thing. But bike feels normaly when travelling 80km/h. Only at low speed then noisy and when throttle the bike vibrte damn jialat.

I went 2 different shops both say the same thing. But bike feels normaly when travelling 80km/h. Only at low speed then noisy and when throttle the bike vibrte damn jialat.

Cause change piston they earn $$ mah haha. Try looking at your EO level. Generally spoilt piston have an impact on your EO. But i got a feeling is your bearings man. But i cant determine much. Seems serious. Like mine i got bearing issues, not engine, either wheels or some others. Sometimes got serious vibration sometimes no. When clutch in can hear some bearing is crunching but no idea where.

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

sounds like fuel/air issue to me too. i suggest going to a reputable mechanic for 3rd opinion at least cos 2 overhauls in half a year is madness unless u have screwed the engine during the break in period.. when u open throttle it vibrate how prolonged is the vibration and how smooth or sudden u open the throttle?

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

sounds like fuel/air issue to me too. i suggest going to a reputable mechanic for 3rd opinion at least cos 2 overhauls in half a year is madness unless u have screwed the engine during the break in period.. when u open throttle it vibrate how prolonged is the vibration and how smooth or sudden u open the throttle?

unless the installation workmanship was bad? but in this case, since the bike can still run, go to a reputable mech like planet. like the other guys mentioned, could also be ur fuel delivery problem. maybe carb problem or rusty stuff getting into your engine. always start with the cheapest possible fixes. :) bikeshops on the other hand do the opposite: start with most expensive fix. by the time they fix the actual problem, they would have sucked ur pocket dry.

unless the installation workmanship was bad? but in this case, since the bike can still run, go to a reputable mech like planet. like the other guys mentioned, could also be ur fuel delivery problem. maybe carb problem or rusty stuff getting into your engine. always start with the cheapest possible fixes. :) bikeshops on the other hand do the opposite: start with most expensive fix. by the time they fix the actual problem, they would have sucked ur pocket dry.

Went to planet and ah koon at lengkuk bahru. Both say the same thing. Going planets now to get it done.

Went to planet and ah koon at lengkuk bahru. Both say the same thing. Going planets now to get it done.

dats sucks to here bro. well i guess u just have to sort it out lor. no choice. where did u do the previous overhaul? im curious abt the workmanship.

Hey guys, just got my phantom recently and realised that the gear changing is still noticeably rougher compared to my SP. I have just changed my EO to pennzoil fully-synthetic and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Could my gearbox be worn out? :faint:

Class 3 02/06/2011

Class 2B 13/06/2012

NSR150SP FBD2**G June 2012 - October 2012

Phantom TA200 FW6**6A October 2012 -

sorry to hear bro =X meanwhile after the overhaul ah chong would probably show u every part he take out from the engine that is replaced for you to see. from there you will probably better assess the damage.

Hey guys, just got my phantom recently and realised that the gear changing is still noticeably rougher compared to my SP. I have just changed my EO to pennzoil fully-synthetic and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Could my gearbox be worn out? :faint:

just my 5 cents.. ta200 i think the shifting is always that rough one.. as compared to the cb125e i was using at bbdc.. after some time after all the coordination play with the throttle closing and clutching in at the same timei found the shifting more smooth so its more of a timing issue.. maybe try varying your shifting pattern and kiv?

Just sharing I use semi 20W/50 EO easy to kick to natural gear but when use Fully Syn is depend on luck have to kick few time.

And my bike must top up 1.1L if not the engine very hot.

Remember Phantom is air cool not water cool EO you use play a important part and hopefully not ur gearbox fail.

Phantom TA200 2012, Vara 125 2013 (Betong)

TZR 125 (HatYai) 2013 & 2018 (Tak Bai)

CB400SF PB1 (Danok, HatYai, Yala, Betong and Su-ngai Kolok) 2014

CB400SF PB1 Iron Butt SaddleSore 1600k 25th Feb 2015

NT650V Deuville (Pattani) (Solo SG-MY-TH-LS)

ST1100 Pan 3 mountain ride in 24hr , MHS 1864 2017

http://tripdrive.blogspot.sg

just my 5 cents.. ta200 i think the shifting is always that rough one.. as compared to the cb125e i was using at bbdc.. after some time after all the coordination play with the throttle closing and clutching in at the same timei found the shifting more smooth so its more of a timing issue.. maybe try varying your shifting pattern and kiv?

Just sharing I use semi 20W/50 EO easy to kick to natural gear but when use Fully Syn is depend on luck have to kick few time.

And my bike must top up 1.1L if not the engine very hot.

Remember Phantom is air cool not water cool EO you use play a important part and hopefully not ur gearbox fail.

Thanks for the tips guys, will try the Belray Thumper semi-syn next time to see if got any improvements.

Class 3 02/06/2011

Class 2B 13/06/2012

Phantom TA200/TA150 List of Problems and Solution

Problem 1: Exhaust emitting white smoke.

Reason: Engine oil is leaking into your chamber.

Solution: Pistol rings needs to be changed. Go to a bike workshop.

Reason: Your bike has a 2 stroke engine(ta150).

Solution: Its normal.

Problem 2: Engine stalls in heavy rain and unable / weak to start.

Reason: Spark plug could be getting wet by the rain causing it not not function

Solution: Remove, dry the spark plug and put it back properly. Go get the plug cap replaced.

Reason: Air fuel mixture may be too rich or lean.

Solution: Tune your carb to a leaner setting (turn screw anti-clockwise by 1/4).

Turning the screw clockwise to enrich the mixture. (once again, tune in 1/4 or 1/2 turns of the air correction screw, located on the LEFT side of the carb)

Bike tends to rev rapidly but have poor acceleration if lean, and if too rich, will have "spongy" / slow throttle response at high speeds.

If in need of advise / demonstration sms pandora's kitten at 93270801 (advice/demo given is FOC)

Reason: Air leakages.

Solution: Change some of the rubber parts in tank.

Reason: Air filter clogged.

Solution : Get your air filter changed. You are advised to inspect the air filter every 4000 or so kms and change it at 10k (Honda warranty service manual)

Problem 3: Flat / Punctured Tyres

Solution: Try to inflate tyre with portable pump / bicycle pump then go bike or tyre shop. DO NOT ride on flat tyres as they may damage your tyre or wheel.

Solution: Use tyre repair kit, plug and pump = good to go. Kit can be bought at LAB.

Solution 2: Buy a can of fix a flat from Carrefour or petrol stations, put it in your box.

Problem 4: Cannot / Hard to start bike

Reason: Battery may be weak (confirmed by a tick sound from the right side cover under the seat).

Solution: Push Start(Clutch in after running with bike, release, give a quick throttle and clutch in) and go get battery replaced or ride to charge(if still can be charged).

You are advised to use third gear to push start (due to Phantom's short gearing) or even fourth on very slippery driveways (such as on some landed properties)

Reason: Fuse may be blown.

Solution: Check Fuse. Fuse is located on right side of bike. Remove chrome cover under the seat and see. Look out for the centre of the fuse if its broken then FUSED lor. Change new one.

Reason: Bike is in gear, kill switch is on, no petrol, petcock off.

Solution: Obvious.

Reason: Rectifier issue (despite new battery, bike soon becomes hard to start again)

Solution: Get mechanic to check with a voltage meter. Ah chong has one.

Reason: Petrol topped up too full - Don't laugh.

Solution: The petrol tank is not meant to be filled to the brim. Leave some space for air.

Reason: Water in petrol

Solution: Check that fuel cap is secure and no leaks

++ Reason: If everything is working fine CDI might be spoilt

Solution: Tow to shop and change..2nd hand one will cause app $100 1st hand $200+

Others:

- Check ignition coil for sparks.

- Check magneto coil.

Problem 5: Cant go more den 80 km/h

Reason: You are not in the 6th gear

Solution: Down 1 time 1st gear. up 5 times to sixth gear

Solution: If you have very poor acceleration when throttle is opened, you are running lean. Enrich mixture by 1/2 to 1 turn of the air correction screw.

Reason: If confirm no 6th gear, gear box may be in bad shape

Solution: Go to a reputable workshop for a checkup, may need to over haul.

Reason: Insufficient Engine Oil (Very bad)

Solution: Check with dipstick as according to manual. Buy Engine Oil from petrol kiosk and top up.

Reason: Clutch may have been worn off (Engine reving very high but no power to go any faster)

Solution: Bike shop chance clutch.

Reason: Air fuel mixture too rich (Crazy vibrations at higher revs making it too uncomfortable)

Solution: Tune air fuel mixture leaner (Turn screw anti-clockwise 1/2 - 1 round)

Reason: Sprocket may be worn off

Solution: Change sprocket and chain.

Problem 6: Weird sound on my bike

Reason: Might be battery low. (Ticking sound on right side when start button depressed)

Solution: Push start, change battery

Reason: If sound is on gearbox side, chain may be too slack

Solution: Check your chain tension 1st. Should have about 2 to 3cm slack, tested at the center of the bottom span of the chain. Anything more, get it tightened. Also, lubricate your chain.

Solution: If you are using spray on chain lube, dirt and grease may be thrown off the chain during normal operation. When a lot of grease accumulates on the chain tensioner (rubber cylinder) and swingarm protector (rubber bar) the chain will emit a loud sound as though running through sand. Scrape and wipe away the excess grease and enjoy the quietness.

Problem 7: - Exhaust Header got holes. Can repair?

Reason: Got one specific hole which is ok.

Solution: If unsure, post some pictures.

Problem 8: - Engine oil Dip stick broken (Broken part might be in engine)

Solution:

- Send to bikeshop.

- New dipstick costs around $11.

Problem 9: I have tried everything but to no avail. Any tow numbers please?

Solution:

- 67474740 Tiko cheong.

- 64560018 Wing Yap.

- 97384501 => Hello, you the tua chia one?

Problem 10: Engine Part Leaking Oil

Reason: Gasket Spoilt.

Solution: Bike shop, get it replaced

Reason: Cam chain tensioner spoilt.

Solution: Bike shop, get it replaced

Problem 11: When riding, bike lean to one side. Let go of handlebar, steering was shaky and wobbling

Reason: Might be steering cone problem.

Solution: Go bike shop to get it fixed. May also need re-alignment.

Reason: Wheel bearings spoilt.

Solution: Bike shop, get it changed.

Reason: Wheel alignment might have problem.

Solution: Bike shop, get it fixed.

Problem 12: Speedo is not working

Reason: The cable, or the gear at the end of the cable is spoilt or loose.

Solution: If loose, plug it back or tighten. Else needs replacement, go bike shop.

Reason: Speedo spoilt.

Solution: Bike shop.

Problem 13: My exhaust gives have a loud bang regularly. (Backfire)

Reason: Air fuel mixture too rich or too lean.

Solution: Retune the carb. (check problem 24)

Problem 14: I lost my bike Key!!! What to do??

Solution: Go find the key smith.

Solution: If want to change ignition, look for Ah Chong (Planet) or scrapyard.

Problem 15: Bike pickup super slow. Even slower than small cc cars.

Reason: Clutch is worn

Solution: Change your clutch plates.

Solution: Fuel/air mixture too lean giving poor acceleration and a hot engine

Reason: Your brake is dragging

Solution: Check wheel spin, check the brake pads if its time to replace, check if brake caliper mounted properly, check disc rotor warped or not

Problem 16: Damaged Exhaust: Header got hole / Muffler loose or dropping.

Solution: Header got hole can weld it up.

Solution: Muffler dropping can cut open the pipe and take it out but pipe will sound louder.

Solution: Alternatively can change the whole system, pipe + header, about 300+-.

Problem 17: Hard to kick the gears

Reason: Clutch is worn

Solution: Change or top up EO.

Solution: Change clutch plate.

Reason: Your clutch cable is breaking.

Solution: Replace your clutch cable

Problem 18: When cold start, bike got "tick tick" sound

Reason: cam chain tensioner spoilt.

Solution: Change the cam chain tensioner.

Solution: If its rattling sound instead of "tick tick" sound, bring bike to mechanic.

Problem 19: Bike wobble for no apparent reason.

Reason: Might have problem with wheel bearings or tyre pressure.

Solution: Check that the tyre pressure is correct.

Solution: If tyre pressure is correct, most probably is the bearing spoilt.

Solution:Change new bearings.

Problem 20: In Vehicle Unit (IU) Spoilt.

Reason: There is a whole lot of reason, old, water seep in, etc etc.

Solution: But a second hand IU but need to transfer name.

Solution: Buy a new IU at $155.80 w GST.

Solution: Don't go into carparks or go through ERP.

Problem 21: Weak Battery.

Reason: Battery old. Cannot charge or hold properly. etc etc

Solution: Recharge the battery (Wet), Dry ones cannot be recharged?.

Solution: Most people change batteries instead of recharging.

Solution: If leaving bike alone for a long time, disconnect the battery to prevent further unnecessary drainage.

Problem 22: Need to step real hard for brake lights to light up.

Reason: There is a knob for adjustment, it might be loose

Solution: There is a black screw lookalike plastic knob( near the spring) located somewhere near the rear brake pedal. u can play around with the knob by turning to adjust the sensitivity of your rear brake when you apply brake.

Problem 23: IU Spoilt.

Reason: No reason in particular. If its spoilt, its spoilt.

Solution: Inspect at Vicom. Replace a new one if under warranty. If not, have to buy a new one at about $155 (Slim).

Problem 24: Backfire tooooo frequent. Like 3-5 times a day. Or when u stop normally, not even sudden brake.

Reason: Gasket at exhaust head leaking air. Or #2, Exhaust has holes

Solution: Replace gasket. Or #2, send it to Planet Motor (ahchong) to weld the holes, or get a second-hand exhaust or get one cheaper exhaust at LAB (must make order)

Solution: Fuel-air mixture likely too rich. Backfires when throttle is closed, due to residual fuel afterburning in the exhaust header. This is bad for the valves and the catalytic converter.

25: After turning off my engine there is a tick tick tick sound some where.

Reason: Exhast pipe is cooling down. Hot it expands so cold it turns back.

Solution: Do DIY exhaust wrap. Reduced backpressure = faster heat evacuation, leading to high speed silent running and silent cooldown after engine off. (Pandora's Kitten :3)

Problem 26: Cannot find neutral gear!

Solution: Gear oil not suitable, change different grade of gear oil (see gearoil thread for details)

Solution: Gear box dying.

Solution: Engine is overheated. (Running too lean/ Not enough engine oil. An overheating engine may cause excessive oil consumption, especially when using less tolerant mineral oil)

Solution: Clutch freeplay not enough

Solution: If cannot find neutral when engine is hot but fine when engine is cold, that means engine oil has degraded and cannot maintain its viscosity at high temperatures. Changing engine oil should solve the issue.

Problem 27: Handlebar position is not centered (while riding). Handlebars are "straight" but wheel points to one side.

Solution: Lock the wheel, grab the handlebars firmly and twist the bars until straightened. The risers are flexible to some degree, due to the vibration damping rubber washers. (Demonstrated by Planet Motors)

Solution: If your steering lock is spoilt, put the wheel against a pillar or a wall.

Problem 28: Bike hard to U-turn. Riding position not comfortable as handlebars too high up.

Solution: Adjust the angle of the handlebars. Loosen the bottom two screws of the risers, pull back the bars so they "rise" towards your face. This will give you a more relaxed riding posture and you are able to enjoy a greater turning angle at low speeds. If your handlebars are set to rise straight upwards forcing you to stretch forward and upwards to steer, your elbows will prevent you from turning easily at low speeds

Problem 29: Engine oil disappears at a fast rate

Reason: Piston ring busted.

Solution: See mechanic. Top overhaul probably needed.

Problem 30: Side stand broke off with mounting lug.

Solution: Get a mechanic to weld the mounting back.

prepost and update if needed! =D

My bike couldn't start after I parked it there for a few minutes. The electrical system was entirely dead even though it was performing perfectly normal earlier on. My battery is still running strong. Anyone knows what's wrong? :\

Class 3 02/06/2011

Class 2B 13/06/2012

My bike couldn't start after I parked it there for a few minutes. The electrical system was entirely dead even though it was performing perfectly normal earlier on. My battery is still running strong. Anyone knows what's wrong? :\

Check the fuse. I encountered b4. Very irritating problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 Oct 2005 - Jun 2007(SP) FS6059X

18 Jun 2007 - 26 Nov 2007 -> CBR400, L model problematic FJ532*S

26 Nov 2007 - 12 Nov 2011 -> TA200, FV2X2G

12 Nov 2011 - 12 Nov 2012 -> SYM GTS200, FZ99*0D

29 Nov 2012 - 13 July 2015 -> KIA Rio HB 1.4M, SFY*

13 Jul 2015 - 28 Apr 2018 -> Kia Cerato V2 SKT*

28 Apr 2018 till current -> Hyundai Elentra S_trim SLZ*

Sounds similar to Spark_135's problem? That time his grounding got problem screw up his electricals.