SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

ERP device mounting location

Hi guys,

I see there is a lot of discontent with how ERP card reader device looks and where it is mounted - on the handlebars.

I would like to remove it from the handlebars and relocate somewhere less obvious, just out of sight..

1. Is it legal to do so?

2. If legal, where would you put it, so that the damn thing works when you go under those numerous gantries yet does not annoy you by its presence?

Cheers!

WE'RE NOT HERE FOR A LONG TIME, WE'RE HERE FOR A GOOD TIME.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is legal to relocate the ERP IU to anywhere you like on the bike. Its also ok for a vehicle to go without ERP IU. As long you do not start sneaking into ERP gantries without paying.

Thumb of the rule that it must work in whichever position you want it to be.

I see some vespa actually put it near their front wheels axle. It does not smear the sight of the bike. O

ohayo, thanks mate..

I was thinking about sticking it under the pillion seat or somewhere within reach under the fairings and, perhaps, trying that new 'charge ERP to your credit card' service they have been advertising in papers and on onemotoring website.

This would allow to hide and forget about ERP IU, but at a cost of additional couple dollars per month in service subscription fees..

Unfortunately, we cannot hide/forget/avoid the gantries.. :)

Cheers and ride safe!

ohayo, thanks mate..

I was thinking about sticking it under the pillion seat or somewhere within reach under the fairings and, perhaps, trying that new 'charge ERP to your credit card' service they have been advertising in papers and on onemotoring website.

This would allow to hide and forget about ERP IU, but at a cost of additional couple dollars per month in service subscription fees..

Unfortunately, we cannot hide/forget/avoid the gantries.. :)

Cheers and ride safe!

i know of a friend who stores the IU in the rear seat compartment.

sometimes when pass thru ERP with pillion it might not be detected. but without pillion no problem. hence if got pillion and cant detect... LTA will send letter ask u go for inspection... waste time lor... go there check that got deduct properly... then ask u go liao.

and some carparks that use auto detect-IU might not be able to read the unit as well....... so he carries a spare cash card to insert if that happens....

Not forgetting parking places that use ERP. You will have problem when goin in. Worst case scenario is to use your cash card and let the parking gantry read it.

Very troublesome. why not juz paste black sticker to hide it? It won't affect your bike's performance at all.

* Suzuki GSR750

----------------------------

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric2/196279.png

• 2 months later...

Guys, back to the topic..

Here is the link I came across:

http://main.slackriders.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=299228.html

Basically, what some people do, they use ERP UI device as a portable unit.. The link is self-explanatory, the idea is rather attractive and the mod is fairly easy to accomplish.

Now, the questions that I would like to ask:

1. Is it possible to just go to VICOM and buy a brand new UI device without any references to the vehicle, i.e. if I want to prepare it for the future bike?

2. Will I have problems with VICOM/LTA/Police if found using UI in such a way?

3. Do you know any reputable shop that can professionally do this mod?

Please share your knowledge/experiences. I guess most of us would rather have that ugly thing in a backpack and buy batteries every now and then than get it attached the handlebars...

Thanks in advance for your input.

Now, the questions that I would like to ask:

1. Is it possible to just go to VICOM and buy a brand new UI device without any references to the vehicle, i.e. if I want to prepare it for the future bike?

No. Because the IU must be tagged to a vehicle otherwise if you incur any ERP violations, who is LTA going to send the summon to ?

2. Will I have problems with VICOM/LTA/Police if found using UI in such a way?

Vicom/LTA/Police/Army/Navy/Airforce/Coast Guard/SECCOM/CISCO/AETOS/SEALS/Gurkha/Delta Force.....etc, don't really give a damn. You must remember that the IU is not a mandatory device. It only becomes an ERP violation when you pass an operational ERP Gantry without one.

3. Do you know any reputable shop that can professionally do this mod?

I'm sure for the right price, any shop or even someone in SBF can do that for you.

:)

Thanks for the pointers, Demon!

This IU topic has been bugging me for quite sometime now..

1. Attach it to the handlebars - make the bike look ugly;

2. Hide it under the rear seat - avoid car parks and keep an eye on the card balance or pay Credit Card subscription fees (but it is truly set and forget option, however ugly the concept and implementation are);

3. Make it portable - pray the damn thing works and the batteries are not flat, always ride with the back-pack (even to Malaysia, because you still need to come back)..

Out of these three options, #2 seems like the most convenient, as I do not take pillions and can sacrifice car parks option... Oh well, let's see... :)

Fritz, my friend... Sure thing, it is easier, but... different people, different bikes, different priorities...

What I am trying to say is that whatever might look good on an NSR is not necessarily going to look good on a Fireblade.. :)

Ride safe!

If that's the case, I rather you go with the underseat option compared to the portable one. Saves the trouble of worrying about flat batteries, the occasional forgetfulness to bring it along and the problem of lugging it around wherever you go.

No matter what Fireblade still looks cool to me, hehe.

I got an idea............y dont u use a cable seperator......eg. when u wan to use it, juz connect the wire tat link to d battery n ur IU b plce conveniently to u ...eg. on tank top...but u have to use a plus n minus tape below d IU abd d place u wan 2 put d IU...mostly I saw big bike wt fairing doing tis...hope u understand wat I mean.....

be a smart rider, don't rush:cool:

• 1 month later...

I ride a phantom. You can mod and run it on twelve volts batteries. Bring it along when you want to use it. for what i do for now, i rewire it and make it run into my saddlebags. Have yet to try this though through a gantry which i would usually avoid. I was thinking of placing it in a tool bag at the front. but again.. im riding a cruiser.. just for ideas. cheers.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

The IU unit contain an Antenna that needs to have line of sight contact with the gantry or scanner at the carpark.

Putting metal, liquids or a human body in the way will compromise the signal.

So if your IU unit is under the saddle, then it may not pickup the signal, and the signal that IU sends back may not be powder enuf reach the gantry.

Edited by chris 525

Current FAZER600-Naked

The IU unit contain an Antenna that needs to have line of sight contact with the gantry or scanner at the carpark.

Putting metal, liquids or a human body in the way will compromise the signal.

So if your IU unit is under the saddle, then it may not pickup the signal, and the signal that IU sends back may not be powder enuf reach the gantry.

good point. taken. However, i did some thinking and thought that its worth the try.

1. IU should be placed in front as possible.

2. Iu should be exposed.

However, i think of cars with a long boot. Im willing to pay my tuition fees for this. will keep things updated. cheers.

I have a friend that uses a portable one in a bag. According to him, there's no problems with detection by the gantry, but after looking at the size of the set-up, I really think it's not worth the inconvenience. It has wires running out all over the place.

Edited by Stoned

I have a friend that uses a portable one in a bag. According to him, there's no problems with detection by the gantry, but after looking at the size of the set-up, I really think it's not worth the inconvenience. I has wires running out all over the place.

shouldnt be too complicated bro. =). btw, i just placed mine below the seat. I could go thru erp carparks by sitting on the pilion seat instead. Not too sure about ERP gantries but ill be giving it a try. worse come to worse will mount it back.

weirdly afterwards, the erp carpark could not detect any iu even though i held it on my hand still showing my balance. :dozed:

i dont pass thru the gantries often, so i hide it inside the fairing. the last time i passed thru, the signal was not picked up and was sent a registered ltr to go for inspection since the unit is still under warranty.

the guy says the IU has to be exposed to receive the signal. hiding it reduce the sensitivity, so risk getting so many letters. the trouble of going to the workshops for inspection. maybe after x times, they will slap a fine on u.

how i solve the problem? wrap a velcro arounf the unit and hide in the same place. when i need to go thru a gantry, i fish it out and secure it to my handle bar. upon arrival at destination, remove cashcard and store IU. this helps me to remeber to remove the card, since i dont use it often.

going thru carpark gantries maybe be ok, since the sensor is near to the bike. failing which, fish out the IU and wave in front of the sensor, and risk humtum from motorists behind u!

i dont pass thru the gantries often, so i hide it inside the fairing. the last time i passed thru, the signal was not picked up and was sent a registered ltr to go for inspection since the unit is still under warranty.

the guy says the IU has to be exposed to receive the signal. hiding it reduce the sensitivity, so risk getting so many letters. the trouble of going to the workshops for inspection. maybe after x times, they will slap a fine on u.

how i solve the problem? wrap a velcro arounf the unit and hide in the same place. when i need to go thru a gantry, i fish it out and secure it to my handle bar. upon arrival at destination, remove cashcard and store IU. this helps me to remeber to remove the card, since i dont use it often.

going thru carpark gantries maybe be ok, since the sensor is near to the bike. failing which, fish out the IU and wave in front of the sensor, and risk humtum from motorists behind u!

That's the trouble, you see.. Sometimes it is just difficult to tell whether the gantries are going to be on the way... Where exactly 'inside the fairing' do you keep your IU?

The consensus, so far, is to keep it under the pillion seat, top side up, as close to the rear light as possible (if you must, that is). In this case it would make a lot of sense to register the IU for 'card-less' use.. The drawback - this service costs extra $ per month, plus the public car parks maybe a problem should you hide your IU device..

It was also reported the IU drains the battery if the bike is parked for a long-ish period of time...

The most elegant way from the bike's aesthetics point of view is to have it totally separate from the bike. The drawback is that the damn thing can be forgotten, the battery can run out at the most unappropriated moment and it is bulky enough for any pocket...

Decisions.. decisions...

depends on type of bike. my right fairing have a "pocket" so can plonk the IU inside. it's very stable, and i even wrap a piece of black rubber sheet to camo it.

ask said earlier, i hardly use the ERP, so i just stopped before gantry to fish the IU out. once, a TP stopped some dist behind me, but i just took a minute or 2 before moving off. he left once my bike started to go under the gantry.

I have a cruiser so put it on the downtube on the right side (just in front of motor) so good for both gantry and car park. I also bought a leatherette cover so its fairly out of site. Did get one ERP summons but turned out to be a bad cash card.