SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Lube your chain

Guest Anonymous

Quick Tip: Warm the chain, lube every 500 miles, don't get any on the tires, ride bike right after to work it in, and remove excess after your first ride.

Your chain doesn't need much cleaning if you just ride on normal streets. WD-40 and a rag is about all you need and even then not very often.

If you use gear oil, oil the warm chain after your last ride of the day using a brush (not an oil can). Put something under the chain to catch the drips and wipe off excess with a rag. Let sit overnight. Any fly-off will be minimal.

If you use WD-40, spray on warm chain any time. Give it a couple of minutes to drip off or wipe off excess with rag. Ride anytime. Fly-off is moderate. If you don't have a centerstand, use WD-40 to clean the chain and sprocket using the rolling method (apply to chain, roll the bike back, apply to chain, roll the bike back, etc. until complete chain is done). After 50 miles or so, spray WD-40 on a clean cloth and wipe down any areas of your bike that may have chain lube on it. Wax these areas lightly (like your chain guard, fender, etc., and you're good for about 600 miles.

If you use spray-on lubes, be sure to spray onto a warm chain. Do not over saturate. Spray it on the inside of the chain. That way on your next ride it will be slung outwards, through the chain. Lube the chain every several hundred miles or when it looks dry. If you are going to use an aerosol chain lube, consider using PJ1 in the blue label.

For O-ring chains, bring the bike home hot and throw it up on the centerstand in neutral. Then spray PJ1 Blue Label chain lube directly at the center of the rollers at the rear of the rear sprocket. Move the rear wheel slowly and continue to apply until the entire chain has been coated. Then park the bike for the night and let it dry. In the morning the rollers are all nicely lubricated and the bike is ready to ride off. Be sure to wipe off any excess before you ride and then after you come back after the first ride. The lubing of an O-ring chain is mostly for the sprocket's life as the lube for the chain pins is sealed inside the chain by the O-rings.

Clean-up: Oil and WD-40 are the easiest to clean up/off, but also can create the biggest fly-off mess. PJ lubes or Chain Wax leaves the least amount of fly-off, but can build up on the chain itself. It's a nasty cycle of lube & cleaning, lube & cleaning.

Chain lubing is another of many reasons why you shouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand.

taken from http://motorcycles.about.com/library/tips/bllube.htm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

Andy

Singapore Bikes Mod

Posted: 01 Jan 1970 08:00 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just a word to add, WD40 is not quite suitable to lube a chain. As it's a sort of degreaser, which means once u used WD40, you have to be constantly lubing it every few days. Side effects can be seen by leaving bike alone for few weeks. Rust will settle.

Any petrol, grease remover, alcohol strongly not recommended. Once grease within O ring is gone, the chain is goin soon too.

Guest Anonymous

The steps below are only suggestions, as manufacturers and owners alike, have different opinions on proper drive chain maintenance. If, in doubt of any advice given here, consult your owners manual that came with your motorcycle.

Step 1.

Start by riding your motorcycle for about 15 minutes to heat up the chain. Put the bike up on it's centre or rear stand. If you do not have a stand, then I suggest purchasing one. Lubing a chain while on the side stand is both time consuming and difficult.

Step 2.

Clean the chain with Kerosene using a soft brush, I also clean the sprockets and cush drive at the same time.

Step 3.

Follow that up with a soapy wash to remove the residue left by the kerosene and wipe the chain dry with a clean cloth.

Step 4.

Apply the chain lubricant, I use WD-40 to lube the chain, you can use whatever chain lube you wish. "I prefer this product." Best apply the lubricant to the inside of lower run.

Note: Some O-ring chains may be damaged by some lubricants and solvents, your local dealer or mechanic can be consulted if you do not know whether the product you are using is safe for your type of chain.

Step 5.

After the chain is well lubed, wipe off the excess and clean up the overspray that may have gotten on the wheels and tires. Allow the lube to dry before riding.

Do Not clean or oil your chain with the engine running. Serious injury can occur.

There you have it, a clean, well-lubricated chain! Remember that proper drive chain maintenance will allow your motorcycle to operate smoothly and can prevent serious injury and expense later.

taken from http://www.canadianrider.com/tech_chain_2.htm

Guest Anonymous

S750WP

P Plate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bike manaul says not to leave the kerosene on the o-ring chain for more than 10 minutes.

Guest Anonymous

Andy

Singapore Bikes Mod

yesyesyes, o-rings retain the lubrications and by using degreasers, it will take away that function and its quite IMPOSSIBLE to lube it to its original state.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ZZR-Pilot
Step 2.

Clean the chain with Kerosene using a soft brush, I also clean the sprockets and cush drive at the same time.

Whoaaa... clean the cush drive? That's inside the rear hub! Besides, the cush drive does not get dirty at all.

• 2 weeks later...
:cry: I bought the O-ring lube chain one and sprayed onto the whole of the chain and then rode it round for 2 round in my carpark. Who knows i sprayed too much and the excess just went onto my back wheel tire rum and I had to wash like hell!!! Newbie mah, dunno how much to spray and how to.

Guest BoBOKik
:cry: I bought the O-ring lube chain one and sprayed onto the whole of the chain and then rode it round for 2 round in my carpark. Who knows i sprayed too much and the excess just went onto my back wheel tire rum and I had to wash like hell!!! Newbie mah, dunno how much to spray and how to.

:lol: we've all been thru tis stage too...

Is degreaser good or harmful to spockets and chains???cos i always use degreaser to clean my spocket and chain.sumtimes i use diesel but i find degreaser more effective.anyone know harmful or good? :confused:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/waklabib/esso.jpg

I just broke my record for JB-KL timing

Is degreaser good or harmful to spockets and chains???cos i always use degreaser to clean my spocket and chain.sumtimes i use diesel but i find degreaser more effective.anyone know harmful or good? :confused:

Why not just use kerosene? Cheaper than degreaser right? And it depends on what kind of degreaser you are using.

Your best friend in forum :: Search ::

Guest GuiNNeSS

Ok.... seeing that so much concern about this issue.....

Here is a way to test the cleaner of your choice.

1. Go mechanic shop and look for some chain o'rings. There are bound to be at least some lying about.

2. Bring home and soak in the solvent of your choice.

3. After about 48 hours (longer if you want) if there is no deterioration to the o'ring. That means the solvent is ok to use.

Things to look out for. O'ring expansion (it becomes puffed up). Some will become brittle (bend it around and it will crack). of course if the o'ring disappears altogether then maybe the solvent dissolved it! :? (but so far never come across this!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Any1 any recommandation at where to get good chain Lub? I mean those that stick to the chain and will not spill all over the wheel rim type. :bounce: :bounce:

Try out the Motorex chain lube as reccomended in another thread or the repsol chain lube.

Life short, play hard

You will be sorry when you see me.

Speed is not how fast you can go,

But how fast you can handle.

Ppl always think they\'re good but

It\'s others tat judge them not themselve.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Any1 any recommandation at where to get good chain Lub? I mean those that stick to the chain and will not spill all over the wheel rim type. :bounce: :bounce:

Try out the Motorex chain lube as reccomended in another thread or the repsol chain lube.

:confused:

Where to get this motorex chain lube with given small bottle as well?

:? :? :?

:lol: we've all been thru tis stage too...

agreed... it experieince that u learnt :nono:

:shy: cHrIsOnAnCe :makeup:

:box: OnE tHaT s|tS oN PoRcH sW|Ng :cheeky:

:lovestruck: aPaRt By E mOOn N sTaRs :lovestruck:

:smooch: LoOk|nG @ skY tH|NkInG :dozed: oF CB1000/Fz1000 !!!:smooch:

U can get the motorex lube at mah motoparts along jln besar opp sim lim tower or alternatively u can buy from bryan at max motosports at katong shoppin ctr level #02-23

********************************************************************************

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/godsendworx/mesh/supporters/Pizzaboy_Siggy.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

www.pizzahut.com.sg

Hmmm sorry to say this but the last can of motorex at Mah motor is already be taken up by urs truthly. :sweat:

The lady there said need to wait for another 3 wks for new stock.

Life short, play hard

Hmmm sorry to say this but the last can of motorex at Mah motor is already be taken up by urs truthly. :sweat:

hope the last can of yours is expired and sour 1!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sour grapes.

---------A LIFE IN THE FAST LANE! ------->

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

hope the last can of yours is expired and sour 1!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sour grapes.

No need to be so mean leh. :sweat:

Anyway is there expiry date for the chain lube? :confused:

Life short, play hard

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just use kerosene? Cheaper than degreaser right? And it depends on what kind of degreaser you are using.

Diesel is actually a cheaper alternative as compared to kerosene. Personally, i find it to be more effective than the latter and most important of all, it doesn't leave a stink on yr hands after u clean yr chain...

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

eVeRyThIng hAs 2 gO...sOmEwHeRe...sOmEdAy...