SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Introduing MP3 helmet with rear brake lights!

kohbx

Would you get this helmet for your daily riding?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get this helmet for your daily riding?

Hi everyone,

me and my friends are looking forward to roll out this product and we'd like to see if there is any support for it. Currently, we are still at talks with the authorities so please take it that the item is totally legit and legal.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p141/kohbx/M2back.jpg

Back View: notice the control buttons, 2LED light indicator and 12LED rear brake and signal lights

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p141/kohbx/M2moreback.jpg

Back View: notice the small waterproof latch that holds the SD card for MP3 playback

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p141/kohbx/Specs.png

Notice the initial specs

Do let us know your thoughts and opinions. Don't forget to vote =)

Cheers!

PS: i made a post earlier but i guess its a pointless post if everyone wants to see price.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few question from me,

1) How is the waterproofing for the electronic gadget?

2) Will there be a cable running from the helmet to the bike due to the brake light function on the helmet?

3) Got radio function as well?

4) Are you selling as a while helmet or can be retro fit to a normal helmet?

5) Is the sound loud enough to hear at 80kph?

Just my thought. :smile:

Just to check, the speakers are built-in the helmet right? Can the cheek pads and interior can be removed for washing then?

Hope the helmet gets approved fast :goodluck:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/jytheorem/SV%20-%20Skinzo/SV_jy.gif http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/jytheorem/jy_sv.jpg

Wonder y my ST11 dun look as good as my SV...

My suggestion:

Scrap the brake and signal lights.

As kinwei mentioned, unless you have a wireless connection to the brake/signal light wiring (which will drive up costs), having a fixed wire running up to the helmet will get in the way.

Also, as a road user meself, I dun find a brake / signal light on the helmet of much use. On a turn, your head will be turned so its not so visible from the back. If you are pillioning someone, then it will get blocked, unless you get a similar helmet for the pillon.

You are better off installing an LED light system that can be switched on and off, powered by battery. Acts as an illuminant so you are more visible on the road (as if the safety jacket and bike isn't enough).

It would be much better and economic.

Also, have options for open-face & full-face helmet. Some of us wear FFs even on daily rides to work.

Also, kinwei raised a good point about waterproofing. Think putting the latch facing downwards will ensure water will not seep in. The biggest hazard would be from falling rain water. Most electronic devices using memory cards would place the slot underneath.

Lastly, maybe as a variant, you can do integrated Bluetooth headset helmets (like those from Dainese / Motorola colloboration). Coz most HPs nowadays comes with Bluetooth v2 which supports stereo over air transmission. A Bluetooth helmet can pick up MP3 music from HPs in our own pockets for listening pleasure.

Just chipping in some constructive comments.

Originally posted by kinwei@Oct 31 2006, 12:48 AM

A few question from me,

2) Will there be a cable running from the helmet to the bike due to the brake light function on the helmet?

Just my thought. :smile:

As with all electronic components, water is a serious consideration. The latch will be doubly sealed. Probably similar to what O-rings do for pipes.

Speakers wise, normal speakers modded onto a scooter are splash-proof. It will be like small speakers so water is not an issue. Although we are still looking to see if there are better alternativs.

I apologise for this one, i did not clarify. In fact the specs above don't help much in explaining. A 2.4Ghz transmitter will need to be installed on your bike in order to rela the signal to your helmet. Hence, no wire attachments needed.

Although... does anyone mind wires?

Seems possible, but that would mean adding too much controls to the helmet or the bike itself. Currently the answer would be no, but then.. It won't make the helmet anymore physically different if radio was included.

Its a whole new helmet. Retro fit means changing the shape, I think wind drag and speed will e a problem for those with sports bikes.

Yes, 100 would appear to be the difficult one. More for daily travelling than high speed usage.

Originally posted by relaksua@Oct 31 2006, 01:34 AM

and how much is it gonna cost?? guess tis is impt too but it looks cool

Price wise. I dun kno.. paiseh

But it cant be more expensive than nolan's n-com else its impossible to sell it.

Originally posted by jytheorem@Oct 31 2006, 11:13 AM

Just to check, the speakers are built-in the helmet right? Can the cheek pads and interior can be removed for washing then?

Hope the helmet gets approved fast :goodluck:

The speakers are built behind the padding for safety's sake. Although we have not prepared any crash dummy results yet, but it would seem that even if the speakers were exposed to the rider, theoretically there would be no risk since the helmet shell is a protective environment for everything inside.

Then again.. Its better to hide it behind the padding for safety reasons. Probably the padding that is directly in front of the speakers will be thin or more porous.

Originally posted by WildCard@Oct 31 2006, 03:09 PM

My suggestion:

Scrap the brake and signal lights.

As kinwei mentioned, unless you have a wireless connection to the brake/signal light wiring (which will drive up costs), having a fixed wire running up to the helmet will get in the way.

Also, as a road user meself, I dun find a brake / signal light on the helmet of much use. On a turn, your head will be turned so its not so visible from the back. If you are pillioning someone, then it will get blocked, unless you get a similar helmet for the pillon.

You are better off installing an LED light system that can be switched on and off, powered by battery. Acts as an illuminant so you are more visible on the road (as if the safety jacket and bike isn't enough).

It would be much better and economic.

Also, have options for open-face & full-face helmet. Some of us wear FFs even on daily rides to work.

Also, kinwei raised a good point about waterproofing. Think putting the latch facing downwards will ensure water will not seep in. The biggest hazard would be from falling rain water. Most electronic devices using memory cards would place the slot underneath.

Lastly, maybe as a variant, you can do integrated Bluetooth headset helmets (like those from Dainese / Motorola colloboration). Coz most HPs nowadays comes with Bluetooth v2 which supports stereo over air transmission. A Bluetooth helmet can pick up MP3 music from HPs in our own pockets for listening pleasure.

Just chipping in some constructive comments.

Hi Kinwei,

thanks! these are some interesting insights.

Wireless: the 2.4Ghz freq is unlicensed and free for all to use. Bluetooth however, companies are required to pay an annual licensing fee which is quite hefty hehehe. Like this we can translate the cost savings to people.

Pillion: The system will be compatible with rider plus pillion when wearing the same helmets, controls allow switching on and off.

Latch: Thats an idea.. hmmmm, well it was easier to design and place the component if it was facing upwards. But we'll see..

Hehe :smile:

To round up some questions by PM or reply:

Full flip and open choices are being considered.

Wildcard: using LEDs, i seen it before on some uncle's bike, 3 bright white LEDs "floating" on the road, Im not sure if its attention or distraction.

Hahaha

It would be nice to hear more comments especially the negative ones :p

bro, this is actually quite a good idea..but i do have to say that maybe you guys can do abit of touch up on the helmet....maybe say like helmet design, type and style...(etc, full face, flip up)...

:cheeky:

Way to go my bro...good job man..will get one once it's approved...but cannot wear when wif GF coz she talks alot la then muz listen if not...haiz...:sian:

Progress Is Impossible Without Change

And Those Who Cannot Change Their Mind

Cannot Change Anything.....

..FREEDOM..

Originally posted by kohbx@Nov 1 2006, 10:52 AM

It would be nice to hear more comments especially the negative ones :p

I have many helmets, and they are all FF. One for track, one for touring, and one for daily use. I dont believe in flip-ups or open-faced helmets.

I think you should have a full-faced model to cater to those who only want a proper full-faced helmet. Also, a FF helmet is a lot quieter inside and you wont have to crank up the volume. Anyway, 90decibels may cause damage to ear but behind thick paddings should be just nice. Safety should not be compromised for better music quality. I would prefer thick padding with louder music volume to thinner/porous padding with softer volume.

Having LEDs on the back of the helmet is a great idea. :thumb:

Perhaps just strip of red LEDs, with varying blinking modes, like bicycle rear blinkers, would be good enough as a safety feature. Form should follow function.

There are cycling helmets with such LEDs built-in.

On a tangent, you might want to check out this wonder helmet for inspiration.

However, I do not think indicator lights on a helmet are practical, since my pillion would have to wear the same helmet as I do, and I'm not insecure enough to have to wear matching "couple apparel". I may also give lifts to friends who already have their own helmets, and would negate the function of my helmet indicator lights.

I do not find having indicator lights on the back of a helmet aesthetically pleasing. :help:

A radio option would be nice to have.

Believe nothing you hear; and only half of what you see.

Do or do not; there is no 'try'.

http://www.themuser.com/forum/index.php

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/lacrimosae/Aprilia/siggiecollage.jpg

wow.... i wonder if the next person posting here will comment 'why don't you add a LCD TV, PDA, Camera, Video cam, PSP, GPS, DVD player, frame sliders, Air bag, etc... on the helmet????'

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/hotdog.jpg

Originally posted by WildCard@Nov 1 2006, 11:44 AM

Kohbx,

Not really big LEDs.

Sort of strip LEDs, like those you see on the 03R1 tail.

Hmmm im quite a noob on this R1 lighting.. Think our technical people should work harder hahaha :cheer:

By the way, your blog.. you can write well man.. Post more! hehe

Originally posted by BLACK COMET@Nov 1 2006, 11:59 AM

Actualluy for helmets add on.

Why don't u put a rear view camera instead.

With a small lcd in from.that can see the rear and at the same time display speed and rpm info like a hud.

Developing a rear view helmet from scratch would be too tough.. In fact tat requires even more money to start with than the one we are looking into.

And as Nicholas_Yu shown, the company spent 10 years to do it.. Shiongz leh.. :sweat:

Originally posted by Gundam Zeke@Nov 1 2006, 07:09 PM

bro, this is actually quite a good idea..but i do have to say that maybe you guys can do abit of touch up on the helmet....maybe say like helmet design, type and style...(etc, full face, flip up)...

:cheeky:

Way to go my bro...good job man..will get one once it's approved...but cannot wear when wif GF coz she talks alot la then muz listen if not...haiz...:sian:

Thanks for the compliments, in fact the idea of open face mp3 helmets is rather flawed. Think the rain will get into it most of the time.

Despite being water proof, I will never leave my electronic devices near any watery or moist sources. Its simply asking for it..

Originally posted by BiBi@Nov 1 2006, 09:38 PM

if possible best to have full face version as well... coz nowadays due to safety reasons most ppl wears full face on a daily basis...

im one of them... best part is i dun have other helmets only full face ones...

Full face safer but also harder to augment the system. Worth thinking about though.. :thumb:

Originally posted by lacrimosae@Nov 2 2006, 02:13 AM

I have many helmets, and they are all FF. One for track, one for touring, and one for daily use. I dont believe in flip-ups or open-faced helmets.

I think you should have a full-faced model to cater to those who only want a proper full-faced helmet. Also, a FF helmet is a lot quieter inside and you wont have to crank up the volume. Anyway, 90decibels may cause damage to ear but behind thick paddings should be just nice. Safety should not be compromised for better music quality. I would prefer thick padding with louder music volume to thinner/porous padding with softer volume.

Having LEDs on the back of the helmet is a great idea. :thumb:

Perhaps just strip of red LEDs, with varying blinking modes, like bicycle rear blinkers, would be good enough as a safety feature. Form should follow function.

There are cycling helmets with such LEDs built-in.

On a tangent, you might want to check out this wonder helmet for inspiration.

However, I do not think indicator lights on a helmet are practical, since my pillion would have to wear the same helmet as I do, and I'm not insecure enough to have to wear matching "couple apparel". I may also give lifts to friends who already have their own helmets, and would negate the function of my helmet indicator lights.

I do not find having indicator lights on the back of a helmet aesthetically pleasing. :help:

A radio option would be nice to have.

The MIT guy beat us to it! hahaha

This are very good comments..

Im riding an X9 myself with built in speakers. Theoretically speaking, FF at speeds 100 to 120, the music can still be heard. My bike drowns out at 90 for external speaks.

We have not tested the speed and hearing yet. After all, it would take every inch of energy in my scooter to reach 110 hahaha. :giddy:

FF is good no need to prove wan. The whole idea of the helmet is about safety. For the rider and for other drivers as well. The MIT guy has a very useful function, it wouldnt be too difficult to create a mic that can pick up and identify horn sounds at all. Its all about cost and space available. Heh

Using SRD 2.4GHz freq, it is possible to own two of these helmets and sync the rider LED or the pillion LED or even BOTH helmets to the bike signals. Hehe this is one of the considerations we had.. "What about the gf" problem.. haha

A friend commented that one might look like mickey mouse wearing the LED helmet.. :smile: So... must also lah haa