SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

hi riders, just curious, how many of u actually got your parents consent

layers

First time take 2b at 17. Mum don't relly allow. but not really object. But everything my own.

Naturally, at age 17. not enough $ to pay for my own expense and lessons. so give up halfway.

22 try again. Same story. Mum still make noise. But ex GF don't like so give up.

27 try again. It was a bargain chip with my wife. IF she want to move to north east. I will need bike cos there is pretty ulu.

Strangly enough My dad rides. So from day one never object. just ask me to be careful.

My mum. She was pregnant with my bro back then. She was the pillion rider and some joker in carpark reverse into my parents bike while riding into the carpark. There was a uproar with the neighbourhood. Olden days people are more warm hearted and really take care of neighbour. The driver kanna really f- upsideddown by the neighbour.

Maybe that's why my mum not very supportive. but at the same time also don't violently object.

My grandma. I never let her know until I ride for 4 years. Got kid. The one find day I forgot and bring helmet to her place. She saw and give me the dirty look. I was like siao liao.

She just say got kid better be careful when riding. she also say just don't be like my dad.

According to my uncle. What my dad did was this. He skidded when riding his honda CB75 (70s era 75cc.) Have a deep cut on his calf. A piece of flesh was dangling out, bloodied. Instead of going hospital straight, he go home to change first -_-!. My grandma see already of course tramatised.

In all these years of riding. I notice something. when u get older, u get more kiasi. Bigger bike is actually better. More stable.

I have quite a few close shave. Almost loose control in flooded road and run over by sand truck. Skidded badly on the day my daughter is born

Give me a chance to choose all over again, I will still ride. I think I already gone case. Ask me take pubic transport, I would rather walk. Or maybe at least cab.

But when get older, I may ride recreationally and maybe every fri. Other days. I would hope to take car. But wife drive of course :p

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just starting out 2b now.

but i've already got a class 3 license and driving on the roads for some time already. going to take out Pplate soon.

sooo. parents say. "you drive on the road already you know how shits like, think before you do anything". but generally they allow me to ride =)))

I enrol my Class 2B on my 18th Birthday before that I told my parent I going to learn riding.

They tok i just playing n not serious. So i just go ahead. All the fees I paid myself.

After I passed, I get my bike. They told mi my cousin have meet with accident and quit serious cos need operation. N i told my mum i will be careful. Nt everyone will kena accident want ma . This type of things is heng sua want. But until now when i change my bike to bigger cc i still told them i change bike. At first they say gt bike still wan to change. I say bigger cc more stable ma. My parent always ask ask mi ride carefull. When ever have heavy rain at my house before i going hm she will call mi and inform mi heavy rain ride slowly or wait the rain nt so big than ride home.

请原谅我, 一切都是我的错, 都是我ä¸å¤Ÿæˆç†Ÿ

緣分和愛情是什麼

我最深爱的人伤我å´æ˜¯æœ€æ·±

is cruiser type bike more stable?

depends. Phantom, generally no 'cos easy to fish tail. My Shadow Aero 750, yes. Very stable, even from strong winds still can handle.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

I ask my mum if I can take riding license and she objected firmly. So being interested, of cos I take myself secretly. Take until the stupid driving centre send me reminder letter to my house ask me to pass the final 'test' then can go for TP or not TP will be cancelled. I passed that test on the day. FML.

That's how they found out, they still hope I would stop riding one day though.

i passed 2B in 2005 & got 2A later but until now they still disapprove @@ anyways i'm still happily enjoying my rides now :)

just to add on- IMO once u hop on and take the helm for the very first time, there's no turning back (ofc must pass la). so if u still having second thoughts like ur parents sure object and will "kill" or even disown u wan better dun even start

Edited by nfs_unlimited

2005-2008: Phantom TA200

2006-2011: Hyundai Getz 1.6

2008-2008: wave 110

2008-2009: CB400 Ver S

2009-2009: Phantom TA200

2009-2011: CB400 Spec 1

2012-2012: Aprilia Scarabeo 200

2012-2013: Phantom TA150

2016-2016: SilverWing FJS400D

2013-current: CB400 PB1

I only told my mum after I signed up for 2B years ago. She was furious but had to accept it in the end. Now as I grow older, I also ride much less cos I don't want them to worry. And I know that if anything happens to me, it is not fair to them.

Riding is dangerous. I've seen many cases of serious accidents involving riders. I think we should let our loved ones know about our riding even if they disapprove. Imagine *touchwood* the shock if the first time they learn of your riding is from the hospital/police? If anything happens, they suffer much more than you. Let's all ride responsibly =)

I took behind their back.... bought a bike behind their back.. and rode for about 6 months before telling them during Hari Raya...... kekekekekekee..

On the day of hari raya, I asked for their forgiveness and they were shocked. LOL. Right after they knew, a week later I met with a major accident. :S They kept telling me to stop riding at the hospital.

I took my class 2A and bought a bigger bike.. and they knew about it 3 months later. KAHAHAHAHAHA.. That was because they heard my bike from upstairs and my father looked down at the carpark, and saw me. Kanna F swee swee...

Anyway, now im thinking of taking my class 2, I told them la and of course they disagree. Look like another stealth mission again.

I took behind their back.... bought a bike behind their back.. and rode for about 6 months before telling them during Hari Raya...... kekekekekekee..

On the day of hari raya, I asked for their forgiveness and they were shocked. LOL. Right after they knew, a week later I met with a major accident. :S They kept telling me to stop riding at the hospital.

I took my class 2A and bought a bigger bike.. and they knew about it 3 months later. KAHAHAHAHAHA.. That was because they heard my bike from upstairs and my father looked down at the carpark, and saw me. Kanna F swee swee...

Anyway, now im thinking of taking my class 2, I told them la and of course they disagree. Look like another stealth mission again.

hahaha. just tell them even if they disagree, history will repeat itself :lol: you will just buy behind their back

i passed 2B in 2005 & got 2A later but until now they still disapprove @@ anyways i'm still happily enjoying my rides now :)

just to add on- IMO once u hop on and take the helm for the very first time, there's no turning back (ofc must pass la). so if u still having second thoughts like ur parents sure object and will "kill" or even disown u wan better dun even start

yea once you start you can't stop... its addictive! :angel:

Intially my Dad disagreed, but he then approved of me taking the license. Then after that, when I brought up the issue of buying a bike now that I had a 2B license, he disapproved and refused...but then he said slowly gave in after alot of persuasion.

Then after my ride was out, I took him as one of my first few pillions and he supported me. I told them thereafter if I go overseas on bike (etc KL, Genting) and they will keep smsing to check. But for local riding now they dont check on me anymore...as I ride nearly everyday haha.

Am taking Cls 2 now...and its all good so far :)

When my parents found out that i'm taking up 2B, they rejected the idea immediately. After some persuasion, mum say can learn but cannot ride after getting licence. Dad die die dun want to let me learn...

Now secretly learning and TP coming in a month's time. Aiyo, i cannot talk to my dad one lah. Whatever reason i give him, he refuse to believe. Lan lan dun let me learn, i lan lan go ride.

Well, one thing for sure if anyone of us here (touchwood) meet up with an accident, confirm our parents will say stuffs like "see la! Tell you don't ride already, now accident." it's going to be so awkward.

I hope that day will never come to any of us, ride responsibly and safe!

Well, one thing for sure if anyone of us here (touchwood) meet up with an accident, confirm our parents will say stuffs like "see la! Tell you don't ride already, now accident." it's going to be so awkward.

I hope that day will never come to any of us, ride responsibly and safe!

• 1 month later...
I'm just starting out 2b now.

but i've already got a class 3 license and driving on the roads for some time already. going to take out Pplate soon.

sooo. parents say. "you drive on the road already you know how shits like, think before you do anything". but generally they allow me to ride =)))

I seriously envy you , i have a class 3 and a very nice car too.i have been driving for 5 years alr

Thats precisely is the issue why i cant convince my parents that i want to ride , even if i just want to ride for leisure. as in once a week or so.

i have gotten my wife to approve the "once a month" ride alr hahaha....

Before I purchase my first bike I managed to somehow persuade my mom to give consent, but my dad was a tough one.

The most crucial factor is that you must be able to finance your bike purchase independently if your parents doesn't approve you to ride.. :p

sorry to hear that bro, my mother always says she (and my sis) wont be able to forgive themselves if i ever met into an accident....

agreed, i totally sympathize with my family's objection to riding because it is dangerous.... while they may understand owning a motorbike is a cheaper and more fuel efficient transport, i think they will never appreciate the joy riding brings to us...

my story has kept me frustrated for the past 1 month or so... recently changed job and i will need to meet clients at their offices in pretty ulu places in jurong and changi... currently have my 2A and wanted to change to a bigger bike like S4 (shiok to ride, more stable than 2A sports bike), so i told my mom i wanted to change bike.... initially she said yes, then a few days later she said no, end up i have to aeroplane the seller... got into a big argument with her last week abt me riding again, said she never should have let me ride (which is strange cos she allowed me to take 2B and ride a SP for a year).... argued with her and she threatened to kick me out of the house....

im not sure abt riders who own a car, but if given the choice to drive or ride, i would choose a motorcycle any day... rain, sun, reckless drivers, danger, inconvenience: to me its a small price to pay for the enjoyment riding give me.... i agree a car can be infinitely more convenient (fetch girlfriend, move big items, comfort, relative safety), but it will never be as shiok to commute using a car....

Like yourself i was a strong headed youth once upon a time , i kept my 500cc bike away from my Parents , i rode it whenever i was free .....

As a Parent to 3 growing children now , i can understand how my Parent felt , their concerns and their worries ....

It is already not easy bringing up a child , send them to school to get good education , feed them with the best food , trying to make them happy and all ....

if you have you father and mother at heart , give them some thought .... what happens if the child met with some mishaps ... how painful and hurtful will your Parents be .... especially when they found out that you are doing things behind them ... worse get into trouble ..... ?

It is selfish just to think of ones own fun and thrill without giving a thought about what consequences it will bring to the Family and your love ones ....

Look at the Americans and British , they do not ride their bikes as a means of daily transport , instead only at leisure ... why ?

That is because they all know that it is just not worth taking the risk using them on a daily basis ...... they know it is the cheapest,fastest, and best form of transportation , however , all it takes is just 'one incident' and the is wheel off the ground ... if the rider is lucky.... a few bruises , but if the rider loses a leg or and arm ... how are they going to live on ?

You are still young .... treasure your life treasure your future .... there are many activities that can bring u joy and happiness .....abeit with much lower risk ....

I love bikes all my life ,i did motocrossing when i was 18 , even contemplating a superbikes' licences in Philip Island ( Mick doohan riding school ) .... i am a bike fanatic ...

being slightly level headed today , i still keep them for sentimental values , and just take them for casual rides ... BUT not as a daily means of transport ...

Cars , Lorries , buses today come with high powered engines , the roads are getting overcrowded by the day .... there's really2 very little room for motorcycles .....

whether it is the fault of drivers or your own ..... motorcyclists are 100% at the losing end !!!

To save just the few dollars and bet your life on it ...... think again !

i drive 100% of the time , i can tell u the vehicles on the roads are fast and furious .....

With rush hour traffic and rushing ks mentality ... i for one have think thrice about riding these 2 wheeler machines sharing the spaces with our fellow trucks,buses,cars,taxis, pickups etc on any day .

Last but not least , if you still think that riding a bike is your ultimate choice .... please put on a proper riding gear / attire ...

please do not ride in shorts , singlets , where a riding boot , gloves , good all weather jacket and a pair of tough riding jeans ....and of course a good Helmet ...

all the best to you .

i am 35. i moved out to own apt after getting married, working abroad for a couple of years, having kids and returning to Sg. took up licence at 33.

my parents didnt know that i ride bikes for fun until my wife spilled the beans on me to get at me.

and that doesnt stop me from riding my bike(s).

class 2 in early dec!

ride safe!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224954

2B(8/09);2A(10/10);2(12/11)

Derbi "Black Maverick" Terra 125 (8/09-9/12)

Honda "Burly Bison" Varadero XL1000V1 (10/11-12/12)

Ducati "Banded Mustang" Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP (12/12-)

Vespa "Vicki" GT200 (05/14-)

"Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity."

Currently taking my 2B and I got my family's blessings.

Maybe because I have my Class 3 and my parents have seen the way I drive, maybe they think that I'm up to it.

So I didnt really have to actually convince them but I just had to tell them why I wanted to take my 2B.