SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Motorcycle Top Box Preference - Alu/Metal Or Plastic?

SBF

Motorcycle Top Box Preference - Alu/Metal Or Plastic?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Motorcycle Top Box Preference - Alu/Metal Or Plastic?

• Aluminum / Metal
    • Plastic

• Administrators

Saw this poll on 2WHEELERS.SG Facebook page and found it rather interesting. Generally most prefer the plastic top boxes due to durability and lower price point.

What do you think and what are you using on your motorcycle?

Alu / Metal:

Pros - Looks better, no fading due to sunlight, probably more durable if well taken care of, harder to break into (safer)

Cons - Expensive, leaking issues, might be heavier sometimes, no flexibility, contents will be hotter under sunlight

GIVOBK58-600x600.jpg.dad3c66b9d650acd3fad79e61ad6cab0.jpg

Plastic:

Pros - Cheaper, more durable, no leaking issues

Cons - Might not look as good as metal boxes, plastic fading aesthetic issues, can easily be broken into

149815841_184243436826516_1353673464202478470_n.thumb.jpg.d37ec8e2ca43689363ed68e1e8584253.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 4:03 PM, SBF said:

Saw this poll on 2WHEELERS.SG Facebook page and found it rather interesting. Generally most prefer the plastic top boxes due to durability and lower price point.

What do you think and what are you using on your motorcycle?

Alu / Metal:

Pros - Looks better, no fading due to sunlight, probably more durable if well taken care of, harder to break into (safer)

Cons - Expensive, leaking issues, might be heavier sometimes, no flexibility, contents will be hotter under sunlight

GIVOBK58-600x600.jpg.dad3c66b9d650acd3fad79e61ad6cab0.jpg

Plastic:

Pros - Cheaper, more durable, no leaking issues

Cons - Might not look as good as metal boxes, plastic fading aesthetic issues, can easily be broken into

149815841_184243436826516_1353673464202478470_n.thumb.jpg.d37ec8e2ca43689363ed68e1e8584253.jpg

Personally prefer Plastic - Doesn't look good doesn't matter much since looking at price and durable. (not heavy)

Looks can be customised. My previous box lasted me 13 years.. I even drill holes to put hooks.. (Kopi and Teh) :)

But mine comes with Alu/Metal. Trust me.. it's heavy..  LOL..

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

• Administrators
4 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

Personally prefer Plastic - Doesn't look good doesn't matter much since looking at price and durable. (not heavy)

Looks can be customised. My previous box lasted me 13 years.. I even drill holes to put hooks.. (Kopi and Teh) :)

But mine comes with Alu/Metal. Trust me.. it's heavy..  LOL..

Yeah i guess i prefer plastic too. But the black usually fades after a few years if left under the sun.

Do you have any ideas how to bring back the black/shine?

2 minutes ago, SBF said:

Yeah i guess i prefer plastic too. But the black usually fades after a few years if left under the sun.

Do you have any ideas how to bring back the black/shine?

1) Cover it up

2) Wax it.

3) Respray it with can spray.. :D 

I did all 3... so mine is still shiny after 13 years.. hahahaha..

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

• Administrators
On 4/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, adesmond2 said:

1) Cover it up

2) Wax it.

3) Respray it with can spray.. :D 

I did all 3... so mine is still shiny after 13 years.. hahahaha..

@adesmond2Good point, what wax do you recommend bro? Normal car wax? Or should i go for a plastic wax? Not sure i've seen plastic wax around before..

On 4/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, SBF said:

@adesmond2Good point, what wax do you recommend bro? Normal car wax? Or should i go for a plastic wax? Not sure i've seen plastic wax around before..

actually, you can try WD40.. hahaha.. cheapest wax.. and it shines as well.. :D I just clean it yesterday with my tube.. LOL. wasted that I did not take a photo of before and after..

can see some previous colour tone.. haha

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

Edited by adesmond2
adding photos
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
23 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

actually, you can try WD40.. hahaha.. cheapest wax.. and it shines as well.. :D I just clean it yesterday with my tube.. LOL. wasted that I did not take a photo of before and after..

can see some previous colour tone.. haha

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

@adesmond2 Hope the shine can last. Looks good and not 'too shiny'. Maybe you can let us know after raining if the coating stays on.. 🤣

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Saw on YouTube video, someone blowtorched those plastic seats you see in stadiums .... The seats have severely faded colours, but appear to return to original shine after the torching. Not sure why the plastic didn't melt though.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, apogeeXX said:

Saw on YouTube video, someone blowtorched those plastic seats you see in stadiums .... The seats have severely faded colours, but appear to return to original shine after the torching. Not sure why the plastic didn't melt though.

i saw it as well.. it seems like they mentioned that candle wax was applied beforehand..