SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Any P-Plate tips for riding in peak hour period?

Hey broskis, just pass my 2b like a little over week ago and have been riding to work and back home for less than a week now. I ride during the peak hours to and from work. I don't lane split at all and I sometimes get stuck between cars during jams.

I abit paiseh uk stuck behind car then all the other motorcycle lane split but the thing is, I not so confident to lane split. 

Should I just ride behind cars for now? RIP

Would like to ask the experienced riders on tips on how to lane split. 

Edited by averagebikeenjoyer

• averagebikeenjoyer changed the title to Any P-Plate tips for riding in peak hour period?

well done getting your license
personal opinions here ...

i think it is better for new riders to remain in the lane as you are just starting out.
nothing to be embarassed about especially when you are new

it is better not to lane split when you are new and not confident; lane splitting requires skills and you need to know what to look out for.
spend some time in lane first to get the experience and build confidence (this is a time to build your fundamentals first)
you need to get little things right and you need time to know what your bike can do and how much you can handle
(e.g. how fast your bike can accelerate, how much distance to keep from the front car in different circumstances, how much braking is needed in different situations, how hard you can brake on your bike, how to position in the lane so vehicles behind won't try to over take you in the lane and side-swipe you ... etc)

in-lane is also generally safer; just please don't start thinking in-lane is completely safe
it is possible to get crushed between car infront and another from behind in an accident scenario.
for me, i watch those videos like SG Road Vigilante now and then to see how people get into accidents and the stunts other road users pull ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

congrats on getting your 2B. i got mine a few months ago so i am in the same boat.

i too would advise to stay in lane and not lane split for now. Firstly to allow us new riders to build up the experience in handling the bike and secondly, due to the risk of collision with other vehicles changing lane or moving within their lane. i can confirm that many car drivers don't check mirror/blind spot when changing lane. And it's even harder to spot a bike in a car's rear mirrors due to the small frontage.

for me, i only "lane split" when moving between cars that are stopped at red light if there's space at the front. This allows me to pull away quickly from the traffic when lights go green.

as a driver too, i've seen bikes lane split dangerously (much higher speed than the other traffic) and i prefer it if bikers use the lane as it was intended. 

take care and ride safe. It's rainy season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, averagebikeenjoyer said:

Hey broskis, just pass my 2b like a little over week ago and have been riding to work and back home for less than a week now. I ride during the peak hours to and from work. I don't lane split at all and I sometimes get stuck between cars during jams.

I abit paiseh uk stuck behind car then all the other motorcycle lane split but the thing is, I not so confident to lane split. 

Pretty much same advises as per apogeeXX & shiba2b

Just stay in lane like a car would do.. but do tap your brake if the car behind is coming "slightly" faster. if too fast, move out of lane asap.. (like the custom lorry (brake spoilt) and the car that sweep the bike on CTE and many more)

even with years of riding experience, in fact.. with a few accidents experience.. I seldom lane split.. but I change lane pretty quick and swift.. (with signal light on in advance). I tend to stay more towards left or right side of the lane just in case the car infant decided to e-brake on me or the cars infront of the car.

if you really want to practise lane splitting, go for defensive course. or buy a few dozen of cones and practise squeezing inbetween the cones in tight spaces. (at empty carpark or roof top carpark) but be careful.. I went to several of these.. always have people who are over confident and fall de.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

I started to lane split like 1 week after i pass my 2b sia.. u need to gauge ur handle bar distance well n also do it together with other experienced rider.. juz follow behind them with a distance if u really wan to try lane splitting.. its very scary but i think getting out from where the cars are r safer cos they will juz cut into the lane if they see a gap n may squeeze u out of the lane if they dun check blindspots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that's why lane split accordingly and if cars stop for a reason.. there's definitely a reason.. slow down and check clear before continuing.. 

• Thanks 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

1 hour ago, apogeeXX said:

not really related to lane splitting, but ....

please remember not to let anyone touch you if you accident cuz you might have broken bones or bones about to break.. I saw one guy remove that accident guy's jacket, maybe his bone will snap and break immediately.. just lie down or sit up (if you can and not pain) very critical.. I'm a first aider and thus we are being train in that way.. unless you have specific skills or tools to protect that person's neck/bones and etc.. then it could be a diff story..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adesmond2 said:

please remember not to let anyone touch you if you accident cuz you might have broken bones or bones about to break.. I saw one guy remove that accident guy's jacket, maybe his bone will snap and break immediately.. just lie down or sit up (if you can and not pain) very critical.. I'm a first aider and thus we are being train in that way.. unless you have specific skills or tools to protect that person's neck/bones and etc.. then it could be a diff story..

there's also the dilemma of leaving the casualty alone till skilled persons arrive, or getting him/her out of harms way.

helmet removal also very tricky, especially for full face. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shiba2b said:

there's also the dilemma of leaving the casualty alone till skilled persons arrive, or getting him/her out of harms way.

By right full face helmet shld have emergency removal.. not sure if all have or not but mine has the function

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shiba2b said:

yeah.. ask him if he can move.. if he move by himself to a safe spot then ok. just support him.. dun encourage him to take off helmet or jacket unless he take off himself.. 

Just 1 person stay by the victim or injured person's side giving word encourage that he's alright and etc. dun crowd around.

those old birds who encountered this before told me..  Despite they know the person wun make it to hospital.. they will just say he's alright and etc until the person pass on.. (very sad but truthfully, you also dun wan to tell that person he or she wun make it).

With this in mind, I also avoid accident scene as I honestly dun hope to encounter and have to tell that person he/she will make it but actually he/she wun..

I do stop if possible (provided no one there to help out or maybe 1 person) to help to move bikes and etc.. give direction to car to move away. If there's 2 or more people already there.. dun stop.. more people stopping will cause more distraction and etc.. 2-3 person is enough.. (depending on how large the scale of the accident as well)

if the accident happen on expressway road divider = never stop behind a car and provide assistance.. if u really really wan, stop infront of the car..

always always consider the safety of yourself first before helping others.. 

7 hours ago, Nakuru said:

By right full face helmet shld have emergency removal.. not sure if all have or not but mine has the function

yes, there's tabs by the side to pull to remove the sponge.. lazer dun have... LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nakuru said:

yup but still needs a trained person to remove it while minimizing further injury to the neck/head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

yeah.. ask him if he can move.. if he move by himself to a safe spot then ok. just support him.. dun encourage him to take off helmet or jacket unless he take off himself.. 

Just 1 person stay by the victim or injured person's side giving word encourage that he's alright and etc. dun crowd around.

those old birds who encountered this before told me..  Despite they know the person wun make it to hospital.. they will just say he's alright and etc until the person pass on.. (very sad but truthfully, you also dun wan to tell that person he or she wun make it).

With this in mind, I also avoid accident scene as I honestly dun hope to encounter and have to tell that person he/she will make it but actually he/she wun..

I do stop if possible (provided no one there to help out or maybe 1 person) to help to move bikes and etc.. give direction to car to move away. If there's 2 or more people already there.. dun stop.. more people stopping will cause more distraction and etc.. 2-3 person is enough.. (depending on how large the scale of the accident as well)

if the accident happen on expressway road divider = never stop behind a car and provide assistance.. if u really really wan, stop infront of the car..

always always consider the safety of yourself first before helping others.. 

my colleague (not in SG, in another SEA country) was hit from the side by a speeding motorcycle while walking across a road to go home after work.

she was still conscious & lucid and was able to stop the well-meaning passers-by from sending her to hospital by the most common mode of transport there - a motorcycle. She rightly insisted on a car taxi. At hospital, x-ray found 1 fracture in one leg, 3 fractures in the other. If she had been put on a motorbike to go to hospital, i think her injuries would have likely worsened en route to hospital.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, snooptrader said:

Many drivers don't check and assume that once they flash the signal, they just pop out...

true. 

also, they also take their time to change lane and do it slowly, then potter about instead of zooming off to clear the road space for vehicles approaching from behind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, averagebikeenjoyer said:

Hey. This point is not rlly related but if youre listening to music while riding, i suggest you stop the habit. Dont pick up the habit of listening to music while riding. Its better to hear and listen to your surroundings, spatial awareness. Listen for the sounds of other vehicles, u can tell if theyre at the rear right or rear left, or beside you. Music distracts the focus, for me though. Not sure for others. 

Be confident. No confidence while in peak period or jams, can cause accidents too. Ive seen new riders braking too far away/ too abrupt. 

Assume all motorists are blind. Assume theyll just cut into your lane without checking. 

Always calculate your clearance. I have the habit of calculating when im splitting, speed enough? Space between vehicles enough? Space between front and rear vehicle enough? Etc. Takes practice, but it'll be 2nd nature in time. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SkyVersace said:

Hey. This point is not rlly related but if youre listening to music while riding, i suggest you stop the habit. Dont pick up the habit of listening to music while riding. Its better to hear and listen to your surroundings, spatial awareness. Listen for the sounds of other vehicles, u can tell if theyre at the rear right or rear left, or beside you. Music distracts the focus, for me though. Not sure for others. 

Be confident. No confidence while in peak period or jams, can cause accidents too. Ive seen new riders braking too far away/ too abrupt. 

Assume all motorists are blind. Assume theyll just cut into your lane without checking. 

Always calculate your clearance. I have the habit of calculating when im splitting, speed enough? Space between vehicles enough? Space between front and rear vehicle enough? Etc. Takes practice, but it'll be 2nd nature in time. 

agreed with you regarding music. It's really a distraction. It's ok i guess when traffic is really light (midnight?) but need full concentration when in traffic.

even having the hp on a holder in front of the rider can be a distraction - reading messages etc. 

but now cannot fully rely on listening to other cars' exhaust/engine sound. Too many EVs on the roads now. 

disclaimer - i wear earplugs on long rides to preserve my hearing 😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SkyVersace said:

agreed.. music can be a distraction for new riders.. honestly.. for the past decades on the road..

I only recently started music and reason.. as you get older.. you tend to get more and more frustrated when the road is jam and that person is not moving or slowly move..  😂 Experiences more and you know can pass that traffic light if that car go up to 50.. just nice your turn amber.. BUT BUT.. that car drive at 30.. and he pass when you hit red light.. 😂

At the same time.. other then listen to car.. understand your bike's engine sound.. what's normal and what's not.. 

I still off my music on and off just to listen to my bike to make sure it sounded alright.. :) 

1 hour ago, shiba2b said:

agreed with you regarding music. It's really a distraction. It's ok i guess when traffic is really light (midnight?) but need full concentration when in traffic.

even having the hp on a holder in front of the rider can be a distraction - reading messages etc. 

but now cannot fully rely on listening to other cars' exhaust/engine sound. Too many EVs on the roads now. 

disclaimer - i wear earplugs on long rides to preserve my hearing 😅 

😂 indeed.. EV car.. but you know something.. EV car has a whinning sound.. hahaha.. like those eeeeeee eeeee eeeee sound.. I believe it's their one moving part and it's pretty annoying.. (might only applies to older people like me).. hahahaha.. certain frequency that older people can hear and younger people can't.. 😂

When I put on my earphones, I'm teleported to the concert... and I stopped! Lol

In between other vehicles first takes confidence. It only comes with practice... take it slow... enjoy the ride. No need to be paiseh, everyone is learning and life is not just about riding. Gotta reach home safe to your loved ones!

beware of your surroundings, make sure you can go in between. Know yourself on a bike. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...