SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Archived - 2009] PK Official- Questions for Newbie

zero_degrees

Hi, this morning while starting my bike, warming up and then moving off, i hear some loud "pop" sound (like firecracker sound) from the exhaust bike when i move off, just like 5,6 times then back to normal sound. Is this normal? I just got this new bike for 1 week, so i'm very unsure whats happening. I told my experience friend, he say its normal, its burning/blowing up/out the excess carbon in the exhaust once gone, its back to normal. I'm not sure about this, so i hope to hear what the other experienced riders here have to advice on this. Thanks. :sweat:

PK & Friends

STOC: 7063

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another noobie question, every morning when i try to start my bike, normally by turning on with my key and pressing the start engine button on my right handle, i can't get it to start, is this what people call cold start?

I tried many times and it doesn't start, my friend told me push the button and at the same time throttle slightly to give it some power, it also doesn't work. i have to pull out the choke, then push the start engine button and then it will work. Is this normal?

My bike is new and i just got it for 1 week. Do i really have to use the choke everytime i start in the morning? Will the prolong use of the choke cause any side effects to my bike? Pls advice. thanks! :sweat:

PK & Friends

If your choke is working fine, then it's not a problem to use choke for cold starts so long as you remember to push it back in after. For me my bike starts first time, most of the time, (with a little throttle) in the mornings.

The problem could arise when your choke is jammed/stuck on the "on" position inside even though you have already pushed the knob back in. Happened to me once, the mechanic couldn't figure out why my bike kept dying at first. Finally found out that problem. I've never used the choke on my bike since.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

A cold start is when your engine is at room temperature, it has been off for a prolonged period like overnight. When starting from a cold start, choke may be necessary (depends upon your bike). If you use the choke then switch it off after a few km.

A hot start is when your engine is warmed up from normal use. When starting from a hot start, no choke is necessary.

Current FAZER600-Naked

When the choke is on, this allows a higher (rich) fuel-air ratio to reach the sparkplug, to help in cold starts.

However if you run the engine with the choke on, too rich fuel-air mix reaches the sparkplug, not all the fuel is burnt, and maybe floods your combusitn chamber. Anyway the effect will be bogging, the engine will not run smoothly, and may stall at low revs.

Current FAZER600-Naked

One of my experienced rider friend told me, if i keep using my choke, it will eventually cause my caburetor to have problems which leads me to think twice when using the choke, but every morning its very hard to start my bike and i have no choice but to choke it, so i'm not sure is there anything wrong with my bike or what...hmm. i have already adjusted the idling speed too to make it faster....i think.

PK & Friends

That screw might adjust the IDLE jet. The IDLE jet adjusts the idling RPM of your engine when no gas aplied and engine is warmed up.

In any event, you should not FAW anything on the carb unless you understand what is does.

Current FAZER600-Naked

Originally posted by Smart Bet+Mar 23 2005, 12:11 PM-->
QUOTE (Smart Bet @ Mar 23 2005, 12:11 PM)
No, the jetting screw on your carb.[/b]

where is the screw located? mi quite noobie too :cheeky:

I believe the "jetting screw" (not sure what is the proper name also) adjusts the air-fuel ratio while the idling knob (the black one with the spring) adjusts the idling speed.

Anyone can play around with the idling knob themselves, but the adjustment of the "jetting screw" should be left to those who really knows their stuff.... because a lot of things can go horribly wrong with the incorrect air/fuel ratio.

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

The idling speed MAY be one of the causes, but the air/fuel ratio also plays a part as well. New bikes can come from the factory with all sorts of settings, don't think their QC process is very thorough.

I suggest taking it to Ah Koon and ask him to tune for you.

Ok look at it this way:

By using the choke, you're increasing the fuel/air ratio in your carb for a deliberate period of time until you choose to close the choke.

By adjusting the jetting screw, you're increasing/decreasing the fuel/air ratio in your carb for and indefinite period of time (or until you retune it again).

I'm not asking you to take a screw driver and give it a few good twists. All you got to do is just adjust it (in your case, turning anti-clockwise) very slightly so that its a little richer and easier to start up when cold.

If you're not confident on doing the above, then follow the others' advise and just bring it to a mech for tuning.

I'm definitely not confident enough with my 1 week of biking experience with this bike, therefore i think i shall heed your advice and look for a mech to do the job. Thanks anyway for all the input, now i have a clearer picture of whats happening...:cheeky:

PK & Friends

Originally posted by zero_degrees@Mar 23 2005, 03:58 PM

I'm definitely not confident enough with my 1 week of biking experience with this bike, therefore i think i shall heed your advice and look for a mech to do the job. Thanks anyway for all the input, now i have a clearer picture of whats happening...:cheeky:

since your one is a new bike, why can't u bring back to your bikeshop, should be under warrenty right?

Personally speaking, not every bike selling shop got good service skills, the shop i bought from might be good in selling cheap first hand bikes but might not be good in the servicing wise, and unless its some very big problem that i have no choice to invoke the warranty clause else i would rather go to someone who is experienced and recommend by other happy users who got satisfactory results from the shop. The bike is my baby as like to many other bikers and i rather put it in the care of someone more experienced. :smile:

PK & Friends