SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

DIY Guide: Bleeding n change of brake fluid

Can ani1 here can change for me my brake lines??? im riding a r6 08 still new...... i dun wanna go to motordiam they charge me so expensive..... nid help here.... thanks bros.... can pm me if ani of u guys can help......

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the banjo nut that attach the hose cannot be touch if u are not very sure..

if do normal bleeding, juz use a size 8 ring spanner to loose the nipples and screw driver for the reservoir..

:)

if i dun use any speedbleeder or sumting lyk dat, instead using a hose & a bottle will do right?? coz the dot4 will eventually drip of from de nipples, i tink so.

if i dun use any speedbleeder or sumting lyk dat, instead using a hose & a bottle will do right?? coz the dot4 will eventually drip of from de nipples, i tink so.

actually speedbleeder work like normal nipple for the brake caliper.. juz that it prevent air from going into the brake system from the nipple side when u release the brake lever.. all u need to prevent it in a conventional method is fill the bottle wif a little of fresh brake fluid to cover the end of the hose within the bottle..

this prevent air to back flow into the hose then to the brake caliper..

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/3549/penguin.jpg

2001~04---> NSR-150SP(FT43**H), RXK(FD41**)

2004~06--> CBR-400RRR(FN31**R), RXK

2006~07 ---> CBR929RRY(FS35**C), RXK

2007~10 --> CBR929RRY, Wave125R(FY74**P)

2010~Present -> CBR1000RR10(FBE56**T), Wave125R

• 5 months later...

i recommend for first timers to do it with an experience person around,to play safe if anything goes wrong.If not that person will be taking a huge risk,if all things goes wrong he or she might lose the front/rear braking power.That increases the chances of the accident rate not only to himself or herself but other road users as well.Its good and wise to save and learn but with people with expertise on that matter to guide and help.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/mercenary_017/BusaKenji.jpg

Can ani1 here can change for me my brake lines??? im riding a r6 08 still new...... i dun wanna go to motordiam they charge me so expensive..... nid help here.... thanks bros.... can pm me if ani of u guys can help......

U can afford R6-08 but cannot afford labour charges to change brake lines ? :dozed:

just for information's sake, anyone here knows how much is the labour cost for bleeding and changing of brake fluid?

different class of bike means different pricing?

Planet charges $10 for bleeding each brake line. So front and rear total $20.

I don't think different class will be different pricing. Its not really a difficult job.

But i rather diy cos the bottle of brake fluid used at the shop would usually be opened for some time (ie, not 'fresh').

In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth is a Revolutionary Act

Planet charges $10 for bleeding each brake line. So front and rear total $20.

I don't think different class will be different pricing. Its not really a difficult job.

But i rather diy cos the bottle of brake fluid used at the shop would usually be opened for some time (ie, not 'fresh').

Using air pump (automated) or pump using hand (old fashioned way) ?

Using air pump (automated) or pump using hand (old fashioned way) ?

pump using hand..

EEEWWWWWW........ :faint:

Anywhere using air pump ?

air pump is better than by hand??

:confused:

air pump is better than by hand??

:confused:

I said wrongly. Actually it's called a vacumm pump.

It draws out brake fluid consistantly without leaving air bubbles in the lines.

Faster,cleaner and more efficient.

Maybe u've never tried it.

If u see it in action maybe u will understand what i mean.

An example :

Cheers !

I said wrongly. Actually it's called a vacumm pump.

It draws out brake fluid consistantly without leaving air bubbles in the lines.

Faster,cleaner and more efficient.

Maybe u've never tried it.

If u see it in action maybe u will understand what i mean.

An example :

Cheers !

the hose was bleeded b4 using the hand and the pump method..

but i find that hand is better.. that y i ask u y u find pump is better to compare wif wat i learn..

imo, the feel is much better by hand compare to pump..

maybe is the air around the hose attach to the nipple, was draw into the nipple while the fluid is suck out from the tube..

Any guy buy steel braided hose and DIY before?Same method as changing the brake fluid ?

not completely the same..

cos u are filling the empty and small diamter of hose compare to replace of existing brake fluid..

Any guy buy steel braided hose and DIY before?Same method as changing the brake fluid ?

yup it's the same method.

Only difference is it'll take a longer time and more cycles of the fluid through the lines till the lines are primed before you start to perform bleeding of air from calipers and master cylinders.

If you have time, let gravity do the work; this way you don't have to do the pump-hold-bleed action at all if done correctly. Just open the bleed nipple a little bit enough for fluid to drip out slowly carrying trapped air. But note that it'll take longer time.

btw can explain to me why isit must we change the brake fluid??

Brake oil is the weakest link in the brake system....

Most brake pads have max temp of 400C...

Rotors,MC,brake lines and etc.....have no problems coping with high temp...

Best brake oil DOT5.1 Motul RBF have very high boiling point to prevent vapor lock....

Extreme thermal resistance and stability :

Very high boiling point (325°C / 617°F), superior to conventional DOT 5.1 non silicone base

Efficient when rainy :

Very high wet boiling point (204°C / 400°F) far exceeds the requirements of DOT 3 & 4 & DOT 5.1

This is the case of the best brake oil,imagine you are using ARCHIPARA brand...When wet boiling poing is only 100C or so and you have not change them for years......:cheeky:

Good luck when you need them most.....I always change them every 6 month or so....Cost less than $10 to DIY...

You have have the most desirable brake Setup but without good and fresh oil...Will they work?...At least I dont think so....

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif

Brake oil is the weakest link in the brake system....

Most brake pads have max temp of 400C...

Rotors,MC,brake lines and etc.....have no problems coping with high temp...

Best brake oil DOT5.1 Motul RBF have very high boiling point to prevent vapor lock....

Not entirely right. They have limits too.

Here's a read up for the rest of the lurkers.

Biker Boy Zaihan Talks About Braking

just another add......

you can mix various brands and specs.......apart form DOT 5, that's for HD's only and I have seen guys doing it!!

you really can't say the 5.1 is the best for any bike, if you run your bike from/back work every day it is simply a waster! it has the higher specs but it also has a big downside, absorbing water quicker.....and I would say that's the downfall for SIN.

I was running my bikes for years on the DOT 4 stuff and never had an issue, even after track days/weekends and weeks in the Alps! Now I'm on the DOT 5.1 and I have to change the fluid twice a year as the rear brake fluid is ageing faster than before......

mjv

just another add......

you can mix various brands and specs.......apart form DOT 5, that's for HD's only and I have seen guys doing it!!

you really can't say the 5.1 is the best for any bike, if you run your bike from/back work every day it is simply a waster! it has the higher specs but it also has a big downside, absorbing water quicker.....and I would say that's the downfall for SIN.

I was running my bikes for years on the DOT 4 stuff and never had an issue, even after track days/weekends and weeks in the Alps! Now I'm on the DOT 5.1 and I have to change the fluid twice a year as the rear brake fluid is ageing faster than before......

mjv

i agree to it..

as it absorb water faster, the spongy feeling will resurface rather fast..

that i oso hav to bleed every 6 months..

i even hav to share a bottle wif my friend as the brake fluid cannot stay fresh (waterless) for long after opening..

• 4 weeks later...

LAB told me that my phamton bike needs 2 bottles of Dot 4 Putoline to change the brake fluid. So I paid $40 for the 2 bottles including servicing. But used less than 1 bottle.

Sharing of experience helps to save money!!

Edited by Beng23

• 5 weeks later...

lab charged me $7 for 250 ml of the dot 4 putoline. Caltex and shell 7.90 for 500ml.

Planet bleeding and fluid $20 for front and back.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

so i'm a newbie. it's best just to go straight down to chong. ask him get it done for me?

approx 2 year bleed brakes fuid once?

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

• 3 weeks later...
lab charged me $7 for 250 ml of the dot 4 putoline. Caltex and shell 7.90 for 500ml.

Planet bleeding and fluid $20 for front and back.

So I got "chop" by LAB. By the way, where's Planet...at Ubi?

Sharing of experience helps to save money!!