SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

DIY Guide: Bleeding n change of brake fluid

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just did mine. Isnt my first time though. No damage when dripped on my ride hmm.. anyway, im surveying prices. Dot 4. Shell 8.80. Ah boy putolene $8. Where to buy a proper fitting hose? thanks.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

• 7 months later...

Sensitive is good innit? Anyway, there shouldn't be too much of a diff if stock rubber ones are new as well. If old, noticable under hard braking only should be the norm. Perhaps it's the change of brake fluid which makes the brakes feel less spongy?

No the thing is that, you press a little bit, it will bite hard and press a little more and the wheel will lock. This is what i mean by sensitive.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

• 5 months later...

Did you tighten it properly? How did you bleed that time when you pump and close the nipple? Was any fluid leaking out?

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

Did you tighten it properly? How did you bleed that time when you pump and close the nipple? Was any fluid leaking out?

ya i did tighten it... i put a dube at the nipple with a empty bottle i pump my brake for the air to come out when tighten the nipple i would hold the brake lever n tighten it...

ya i did tighten it... i put a dube at the nipple with a empty bottle i pump my brake for the air to come out when tighten the nipple i would hold the brake lever n tighten it...

U can try removing d nipple, clean the threads then wrap it wif a few layers of teflon plumbing tape. Make sure u dun block the hole at the bottom. Jux cover the threads. reinsert, then bleed again.

Leaking very dangerous esp if d brake fluid drips onto ur disc.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

U can try removing d nipple, clean the threads then wrap it wif a few layers of teflon plumbing tape. Make sure u dun block the hole at the bottom. Jux cover the threads. reinsert, then bleed again.

Leaking very dangerous esp if d brake fluid drips onto ur disc.

If i change new nipple Will it help? Where can i get one?

• 5 months later...

just bleed my brake fluid last wednesday. got one bottle of carlube DOT 4 from NTUC at $6.90:lovestruck:

first time doing it. actually it is quite a simple and fast job. get a couple of friends to do it together so you guys can share the fluid as there will be plenty of left over if you do it alone.

plan to do it yearly:hungry:

Its a good practice to do so yearly. Singapore being so humid, thr is bound to be alot of moisture absorbed into d brake fluid. Will prevent rusting of internal metal parts.

Its a good practice to do so yearly. Singapore being so humid, thr is bound to be alot of moisture absorbed into d brake fluid. Will prevent rusting of internal metal parts.

agree:clapping:

further more, it such a simple job there is no reason not to do it. even going to a motortiam is not expensive. i think it one of the most neglected fluid together with coolant for a bike.

• 2 months later...
thanks for the guide! changed my both my front n back brake fluid! amazed at hw milky my rear ones were.. my front still ok, cux shop bled about 3 mths back.. was quite a quick job, although pumping my front brake was damn tiring! but very nice feeling! my rear brakes no longer spongy!

I remove the bleed nipples totally, then slightly depress the brakes till the opening start to drip the fluid, stop depressing once the fluid start to flow. Then ensure to fill the master pump and don't let it dry out. No need to always depress the brake levers. When you see clear fluid flowing out, replace the bleed nipple. No need for drain pipe, just a container to collect the used fluid...

• 1 month later...

hi guys, just to share, instead of blaming it on the Master cylinder for the spongy braking, try cleaning out the pistons of your calipers.(dont be afraid.. read on)

Works for dragging of brakes too(screeching) eg. when you spin your wheel, it cant spin freely.

I had the problem of too much lever travel despite all sorts of bleeding methods. and was hesistant in getting a brembo master cylinder.

In the end, i just cleaning the pistons for pratically FOC and now, the lever is great.

Hope it stays this way.

here is a very good video.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

• 6 months later...

just a head up. if you have service your brake caliper at the bike shop, took note of the grease they use for the brake caliper pins.

normally and almost all the time, bike shop just use some conventional grease which is bad for your caliper. conventional grease will just "cake up" under prolong heat condition. also, petroleum based grease will swell up some rubber components. this might cause your brake caliper to slide less freely causing drag and in worst case, jam up your brake.

after using conventional grease for 6 months, i found the grease have harden. you need brake caliper grease or at least some silicone grease. i cleaned it up abit and apply some normal grease that i have for the time being until i get something better. now my front wheel rotate more freely:clapping:

Try using copper grease on the back of the pads and the pins. They last longer as well since they are more water-resistant and holds up better under heat.

after doing some research and stop short of ordering brake caliper specific grease oversea, i got some Dow Corning 111 compound from hardware shop. Dow Corning make good stuff but can be quite expensive.

it one of the recommended grease for brake caliper job by dow corning although not theirs specific caliper pin grease. it more of a general purpose silicone grease which is suitable for the intented purpose. the good thing is i can use it for jobs other then caliper pins. it pretty inert so you can even use it for the caliper piston without affecting the brake fluid.

it extremely clean grease and NLGI 3 rated which make it exceptional easy to work with. did i mention it is food grade grease?:hungry:

will update again in 6 months on how it hold up.

here an interesting read on caliper pin grease.

Edited by Isopropyl

• 2 weeks later...