SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Marine industry ?Shipyard?

Varas

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, MI_R1 and Ken, thanks for sharing your views and experiences. i honestly appreciate it. and er. sorry for taking so long to reply. anw, school has started. it has all been good. great actually. and....i have some more questions. (if you guys know anything abt it) (i need scholarship for sch fees etc.)

well...got another sponsorship offer frm EMAS offshore (2yr bond aft class 1) meaning about 8-10yrs depending on individual. seems like i should re-consider the harbour pilot offer afterall (8yrs after pilot class C) meaning about 8 yrs 6 mths. been talking to my lecturers, coursemates, seniors etc. (all of them seem to have relatives sailing) and they have given me some harsh facts making me even more confused.

offshore - wld be sailing for 3 mths,1 mth off. so to speak in a yr wld be home for about 3 months. only 3 MONTHS in a yr. (sailing is even worse than that...2 months or so home in a year i think, so im defo not gg for sailing) so yeah ken, goodbye kopi/soccer/meet up girls sessions if i go for that. plus, read a memoir by Capt. Frederick Francis (SP lecturer, sailed with NOL). seems like he went a longggggg way in getting his class 1. am afraid if i dun have what it takes to match up. i mean, i honestly respect seafarers but have a slight doubt if im made to be one. maybe it cos im in yr 1 and have not done seatime. dun know what to expect. but no time, i need to get a sponsorship!

pilot - 8 yrs bond, shift work, 3days work 1 day off. monetary wise about the same in the end i think (taking into account of PSA 2 bonuses yearly). but the thing is...what i heard, the pilots are mainly made up of ppl who retired frm sailing and wanted to settle down ashore alr. not much started out as pilots. i dun understand why exactly. i know its boring and such but is it really that bad? most of the ppl in school is saying that we should aim higher. these experienced seafarers i know doesnt seem to think much of pilots...

initially didnt mind doing sailing but after much thought im not really sure. a friend pointed out once(and i think it is true) that if it about seeing the world, he'd rather see it with his family than alone. as for me, my main reason of sailing is $ so family wld have a gd life but at the same time dun wanna lose family ties. dun know if that wld happen if i only see them 3mths/yr.......ugh. decisions decisions.

Liner job....alaska....M/E piston

[ATTACH]148315[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148316[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148317[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148319[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148320[/ATTACH]

hey ken ure a marine engineer right?what coc class u hold?whats ur current postion and company?

can u pm me the pay range for 4th engineer holding class coc 5 marine engineering..

coz now usd rate very low.wondering wats the pay....if you could pm me...would b great..im looking to work onboard with bulk carriers....more n slow n steady pace.

~Please Ride N Drive Safely.~

if u cant,its ok,but dont bring harm to other ppl.

wana die,go die alone.dnt bring innnocent ppl along.

OKae!

• 1 month later...

Anybody here know if can still take COC 3 orals after 10 years sailing lapse? As in nvr go sail for more than 10 yrs alredy...I completed 21 mnth sea traoning but lost my training and record book...Now suddenly feel the itch to get the ticket...Any help will be greatly appreciated...Wanna ask the MPA ladies scared kena whack by them..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
hahaha..... this thread still here ! already got COC1 loh !

Congrats...,which comp? Hope you are not with CMa as they are flooding their Own nationality to their own in Ex APL fleet which is consider a Normal and expected reaction to do.....Pcl/Eastern/Pil??? thats the usual ones......

Edited by imported_ken_