SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Servicing for Viffer

Echelon

Manual's recommendation is definitely safe to follow.

I change every 10k or 6 months I use Mobil M1 synthetic - shorter than the manual's recommendation cos riding condition in Sg is tougher due to the short distance and the stop and go condition.

As seah says, alternate oil filter change. Save the environment - do not underuse yr oil.

Ah ok... that's reassuring :) I have 7000km on the clock since my last oil change :cheeky:

"If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you" - Bob Hall

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ok... that's reassuring :) I have 7000km on the clock since my last oil change :cheeky:

then how come mine 6k+ i feel very rough liao.. then oso bike starts to gimme backfiring when decelerates :sian:

juz changed my EO yest... CASTROL POWER1 Racing.. ard $52+

http://forum.geizhals.at/files/2455/Vfr_logo.jpg

then how come mine 6k+ i feel very rough liao.. then oso bike starts to gimme backfiring when decelerates :sian:

juz changed my EO yest... CASTROL POWER1 Racing.. ard $52+

1. Feels rough - viscosity retention loss. it happens with all oil. The difference is how soon before it does. In our hot weather, I find it better to use 20W-50 oil. V-twins loves 20W-60.

2. Backfiring: Possibilities (nothing to do with the oil)

a)In general, backfiring on deceleration (as opposed to acceleration) is generally caused by a lean condition in the pilot circuit. What happens is that the mixture leans out enough to where it fails to ignite consistently. This, in turn allows some un-burnt fuel to get into the exhaust pipes. Then when the engine does fire, the un-burnt gasses are ignited in the exhaust pipe, causing the backfire

b) yr exhaust headers may be loose where it connects to the cylinder. Tighten it.

c. Too lean gas/air mix. Richen your gas/air mix very slightly.

cheers

1. Feels rough - viscosity retention loss. it happens with all oil. The difference is how soon before it does. In our hot weather, I find it better to use 20W-50 oil. V-twins loves 20W-60.

2. Backfiring: Possibilities (nothing to do with the oil)

a)In general, backfiring on deceleration (as opposed to acceleration) is generally caused by a lean condition in the pilot circuit. What happens is that the mixture leans out enough to where it fails to ignite consistently. This, in turn allows some un-burnt fuel to get into the exhaust pipes. Then when the engine does fire, the un-burnt gasses are ignited in the exhaust pipe, causing the backfire

b) yr exhaust headers may be loose where it connects to the cylinder. Tighten it.

c. Too lean gas/air mix. Richen your gas/air mix very slightly.

cheers

i noe the backfiring can be due to alot of other causes, but wat i noe and had gone thru b4 is after changing EO the backfiring will not appear again until time for EO change again.. at least tis is wat happening with my bike..

Edited by loufu
http://forum.geizhals.at/files/2455/Vfr_logo.jpg

I believe Mr vfrT has advised on EO and oil filer change before. :)

I may be wrong, but I used to change EO every 5,000km or 5,000+km to 6,000km OR change once every 6 months, which ever comes first. (Don't you feel your kicking/changing of the gears are very difficult and "rough" when you have reached around 5,000km of travelling??)

Every two oil changes, change one oil filter, i.e. change the oil filter on your 2nd oil change, your 4th oil change, etc...

I don't know about the rest here. :)

Seah, does the kicking/changing of gears got anything to do with EO? cos i'm feeling it for a while recently.. and i tht its either my chain/sprocket or the clutch lever got problem.. anyone can advise?

We all only live once. Enjoy the ride. Glad to have met all the wonderful friends through the spirit of riding. Ride safe people!

2002 - 2003 - Honda CM 125

2003 - 2009 - Honda Super 4 Version S

2009 - 2011 - Honda VFR 800.

2011 - Present - Honda Silverwing GT

"I realised i'm a very staunch Honda supporter. Lol"

I've got 1 qns guys:

whenever i move off in gear 1 from a stationary position( either in the morning or at traffic light), i can feel the bike vibrate rather wobbly while half clutching in gear 1.

After that from gear 2 onwards its okie le. so its mainly when moving off i feel the vibration/wobbiness very strongly.

I would like to ask, is this normal? Personally i think its not really normal, cos a few weeks ago, i had the chance to try out another fellow VFR rider's bike and his gear 1 moving off is very smooth! So i would like to ask u all experts here wat could be the problem, izzit the chain/sprocket, or some other parts of the bike.. Many thanks..

We all only live once. Enjoy the ride. Glad to have met all the wonderful friends through the spirit of riding. Ride safe people!

• 3 weeks later...

tancy, so where did u buy yur VFR from? shop or ex owner? Cos recently there's a couple of movement of VFR bikes around.. Did u buy from forumer Teo? cos i think he juz sold his VFR. :p But anyway, glad to have another VFR rider join us! =)

sino74 bro, when's our makan trip??? :cheeky:

Hi all,

going to be a viffer soon. like to know where's a nice place to do basic servicing like change of engine oil, coolant flush, oil filter, air filter?

Thanks.

HKL, Planet or others?

Thanks for the recommendation...

What you're servicing are, as you say very "basic servicing", so any reputable bike shop can do it easily. The cost should not deviate by much and the differentiating factor would be how comfortable are you with the shop of choice. So as named, HKL or Planet or a dozen shops of the same repute is safe bet mate.

Me? I like to screw the mechanic if he screws up so I DIY.

tancy, so where did u buy yur VFR from? shop or ex owner? Cos recently there's a couple of movement of VFR bikes around.. Did u buy from forumer Teo? cos i think he juz sold his VFR. :p But anyway, glad to have another VFR rider join us! =)

sino74 bro, when's our makan trip??? :cheeky:

Yup, will be buying from Teo, saw that the price real gd and has been searching for one for quite some time. so juz grab this gd deal. :)

What you're servicing are, as you say very "basic servicing", so any reputable bike shop can do it easily. The cost should not deviate by much and the differentiating factor would be how comfortable are you with the shop of choice. So as named, HKL or Planet or a dozen shops of the same repute is safe bet mate.

icic. haha, ok. thanks for the info.

Yup, will be buying from Teo, saw that the price real gd and has been searching for one for quite some time. so juz grab this gd deal. :)

so u Closed the deal with Teo aka bowler ?

:thumb:...

do join us for further meet-ups.

:cheers:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

" People are like Motorcycles ; Each is customized a bit differently " c",)

I've got 1 qns guys:

whenever i move off in gear 1 from a stationary position( either in the morning or at traffic light), i can feel the bike vibrate rather wobbly while half clutching in gear 1.

After that from gear 2 onwards its okie le. so its mainly when moving off i feel the vibration/wobbiness very strongly.

I would like to ask, is this normal? Personally i think its not really normal, cos a few weeks ago, i had the chance to try out another fellow VFR rider's bike and his gear 1 moving off is very smooth! So i would like to ask u all experts here wat could be the problem, izzit the chain/sprocket, or some other parts of the bike.. Many thanks..

probably you got to 'open' your throttle a little bit more... :cheers::cheers:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

" People are like Motorcycles ; Each is customized a bit differently " c",)

actually juz wan to make sure if the mechanic is familar with the vfr.

juz scard they screw up.

anyone know of any gd vfr mechanic?

or engine oil, coolant flush, spark plugs, air and oil filter for vfr quite similar with other bikes.. any mechanics can do?

actually juz wan to make sure if the mechanic is familar with the vfr.

juz scard they screw up.

anyone know of any gd vfr mechanic?

or engine oil, coolant flush, spark plugs, air and oil filter for vfr quite similar with other bikes.. any mechanics can do?

Oil,spark plugs, air & oil filter same same; only the coolant maybe a little bit tricky cos there are 2 nuts to release to do a complete drain. If the mechanic is unfamiliar or lazy there's a chance he may miss the 2nd nut which drains the upper cylinder coolant before the thermostat. This nut is located in a not so intuitive position hence the chance. Anyway coolant you do only once every 2 years or 40kkm. I'm sure HKL mechs should have seen enuf of VFRs to know. FYI, I've never been to HKL to service anything.

Oil,spark plugs, air & oil filter same same; only the coolant maybe a little bit tricky cos there are 2 nuts to release to do a complete drain. If the mechanic is unfamiliar or lazy there's a chance he may miss the 2nd nut which drains the upper cylinder coolant before the thermostat. This nut is located in a not so intuitive position hence the chance. Anyway coolant you do only once every 2 years or 40kkm. I'm sure HKL mechs should have seen enuf of VFRs to know. FYI, I've never been to HKL to service anything.

okok.

juz change EO, oil fiter, new K&N airfilter and engine ice at hkl. kind of costly.

but overall still ok. total $325.

spark plug not yet change. cause they dun have the 2 recommend spark plugs models.

Hi everyone,

I am new here and currently riding a pre-owned 03" VFR for almost 2mths.

Everything were running fine except the Fuel Cap. Whenever i need to pump

petrol, i find it difficult to open the fuel cap... After some checking, i found

out that the 2 "Clips" beneath did not close fully when i turn the key.

I tried spray some WD40 on it and the key hole but it is still the same.

Just wondering is there any workshop that can service it?

Hi everyone,

I am new here and currently riding a pre-owned 03" VFR for almost 2mths.

Everything were running fine except the Fuel Cap. Whenever i need to pump

petrol, i find it difficult to open the fuel cap... After some checking, i found

out that the 2 "Clips" beneath did not close fully when i turn the key.

I tried spray some WD40 on it and the key hole but it is still the same.

Just wondering is there any workshop that can service it?

Had the same problem too, need to spray more WD40 into the key hole. Somehow I got it to work after a few tries it is ok now. But you can go back to your shop and make a slight complaint and they should do it for you for free.

Change my 4th YTZ12S for my bike.

Seems like battery life can only last 12 months.

Could it be a case of faulty rectifier overcharging your new battery hence shortening its lifespan?

"If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you" - Bob Hall

Anyone knows why the front wheel vibates when coming to a quick stop? Definitely not ABS, cos i've felt that before... i've also just changed the fromt brake pads some months back, but haven't had this issue till now...

Comments appreciated, before i bring to the workshop... thanks!

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/4926/1961_7_168x113.jpghttp://img24.exs.cx/img24/6209/158_3_168x112.jpghttp://img99.exs.cx/img99/6289/index_04.gifhttp://img31.exs.cx/img31/5149/122006304_T.jpg

"Thy fate is the common fate of all;

into each life some rain must fall" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Anyone knows why the front wheel vibates when coming to a quick stop? Definitely not ABS, cos i've felt that before... i've also just changed the fromt brake pads some months back, but haven't had this issue till now...

Comments appreciated, before i bring to the workshop... thanks!

I may be wrong...

Front wheel bearings??

Do check the bearings out before your rim get damaged and got to replace the rim in the worst case.

A rim doesn't come cheap, from what I understand.

Just my 0.000000000000000002 cents.

Perhaps vfrT will be able to provide a more accurate and expert advice. :)

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )