SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Servicing for Viffer

Echelon

Hey guys, just wondering if you all have any particular brands or type of brake pads when you all change?

Refering to normal sinistered grade, not those better grades for track use where the effectiveness of the brake will only come in at the higher temp range to prevent brake fade.

Well, so far all my other bikes had been using gold fren/daytona or what ever the mechanic i go have lar. I only use normal grade of sinistered pads, since i only use my bike mainly for commuting but strangely my mileage for my viffer is not even 3000k every 3 mths when its time to change my EO and filter haha.

get the oem brake pads... less than $200 for a complete set (2 front, 1 back) if you diy.

War is Peace.

Freedom is Slavery.

Ignorance is Strength.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just wondering if you all have any particular brands or type of brake pads when you all change?

Refering to normal sinistered grade, not those better grades for track use where the effectiveness of the brake will only come in at the higher temp range to prevent brake fade.

Well, so far all my other bikes had been using gold fren/daytona or what ever the mechanic i go have lar. I only use normal grade of sinistered pads, since i only use my bike mainly for commuting but strangely my mileage for my viffer is not even 3000k every 3 mths when its time to change my EO and filter haha.

Me goldfren too. Diy, $15 per caliper. So total $45 niah.

Email guay_hansen @hotmail.com

My blog at snowparang.blogdrive.com

http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/79866156/medium.jpg http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/95749015/original.jpg

get the oem brake pads... less than $200 for a complete set (2 front, 1 back) if you diy.

Floppy,

Are yr prices for the OEM brake pads latest? Cause FJT quoted about $200plus for complete set abt 2 mths ago. Gt good lobang,share,share.Thanks.

I was thinking of ordering from UK. 1 front set abt GBP19.90.

Past rides are already history....

Current ride: FW VFR 800 ABS

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s254/james9295/DSC_0200.jpg

Floppy,

Are yr prices for the OEM brake pads latest? Cause FJT quoted about $200plus for complete set abt 2 mths ago. Gt good lobang,share,share.Thanks.

I was thinking of ordering from UK. 1 front set abt GBP19.90.

19.90 pounds is for the oem brake pads? that's a good deal! with shipping, as long as

War is Peace.

Freedom is Slavery.

Ignorance is Strength.

mine replaced with EBC HH pads for all 3 pairs.

damaged incurred $60 x 3 sets = $180 + labour cost.

i guess good deal i've got @ Unique. (not promoting though )

:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

" People are like Motorcycles ; Each is customized a bit differently " c",)

19.90 pounds is for the oem brake pads? that's a good deal! with shipping, as long as

Yap.For the OEM brake pads.Shipping should not cost that much as its not big or heavy.

mine replaced with EBC HH pads for all 3 pairs.

damaged incurred $60 x 3 sets = $180 + labour cost.

i guess good deal i've got @ Unique. (not promoting though )

:cool:

EBC HH pads about there.$60-$65.

I had check with HKL and Loois before,both shops quote me $60 x 2 sets (Front pads only) = $120 plus install.

EBC HH pads about there.$60-$65.

I had check with HKL and Loois before,both shops quote me $60 x 2 sets (Front pads only) = $120 plus install.

Wha noticed that you guys are using HH grade of pads, any particular reason for choosing so? So far all my older bikes used GG grade. No lar, i'm not sure because now the potential(in terms of speed) for the viffer is much higher than the rest of older bikes not to mention the weight as well, hence the choice of HH grade is preferred.

Any comments?

Super Motard ----> Sports Tourer

Support The Yellow Ribbon Project And Help Unlock The Second Prison :p

Wha noticed that you guys are using HH grade of pads, any particular reason for choosing so? So far all my older bikes used GG grade. No lar, i'm not sure because now the potential(in terms of speed) for the viffer is much higher than the rest of older bikes not to mention the weight as well, hence the choice of HH grade is preferred.

Any comments?

Some info,

HH or GG,

HH Pads These have the highest coefficient of Friction and are ideal for High performance motorcycles and race track use. Some modern performance motorcycles specify HH as standard. HH Pads can sometimes prove grabby, scary in the wet and ineffective in every day use when they fail to reach a good operating temperature.

GG Pads This grade of Pad is a great all rounder and will perform well in most conditions. GG are softer than HH pads and bed in quicker on worn discs.

Mixing HH and GG Pads Many manufacturer specify HH for the front of performance Motorcycles with GG in the rear. This is because GG pads can give you more feel and control of the back brake. It is not considered safe to use HH in the rear with GG pads in the front.

Obviously Pads are only as good as the condition of the whole braking system. When first used brake pads can sometimes give poor braking as residual moisture from manufacture process works its way out and the pads bed in. It is best to bed in pads with gentle use and very heavy initial use can result in glazing. A condition where the resins in the pad crystalize with resulting poor performance and squeal.

What about OEM brakes ? What grade is it?

most OEM pads are sintered metal.

regards grade wise , yet to do further research on that. :angel:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

" People are like Motorcycles ; Each is customized a bit differently " c",)

• 1 month later...

I normally don't have much preference in terms of which shop to do servicing but I heard opening up the vtec engines to check valve clearances is quite an involved job.

So... Any recommendations of shops that can check and adjust valve clearances of vtec models? :cheeky:

"If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you" - Bob Hall

I normally don't have much preference in terms of which shop to do servicing but I heard opening up the vtec engines to check valve clearances is quite an involved job.

So... Any recommendations of shops that can check and adjust valve clearances of vtec models? :cheeky:

Bro,

since the valves are hydraulically operated, I'd suggest you go to Boon Siew to do it. Other shops may not be familiar with the complex VTEC system.

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"

In my case of 100,000km mileage, I did 2 valve clearance check.

1st at about 40,000km with 2 or 3 valve out of spec. (can't remember)

2nd at about 96,000km with 1 valve out of spec.

To me, its a pretty waste of time and money to get a piece of mind.

You can go to kaki bukit row of shops to get your valve clearance check.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign7.jpghttp://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign8.jpg

Bro,

since the valves are hydraulically operated, I'd suggest you go to Boon Siew to do it. Other shops may not be familiar with the complex VTEC system.

In my case of 100,000km mileage, I did 2 valve clearance check.

1st at about 40,000km with 2 or 3 valve out of spec. (can't remember)

2nd at about 96,000km with 1 valve out of spec.

To me, its a pretty waste of time and money to get a piece of mind.

You can go to kaki bukit row of shops to get your valve clearance check.

Thanks for the info guys.... How much does it cost for a valve clearance check?

Service my bike yesterday.

Flush coolant, change EO & Oil filter + new battery.

Noticed that my bike seem to be overheating. This morning stuck in traffic jam temp. goes up to 124.

Usually in the jam reading is around 104 the most. Any ideas?

Didn't have time to send my bike back to the shop due to work.

Regardless Of Bike Class, Colour, Make Or Model

Live To Ride Bike While We Still Can

Always Ride A Honda :thumb:

@Bo_Slasher

Check yr coolant level again..i encountered 124 temp only when my coolant was leaking.After repairing the leak,top up coolant and everytime was back to normal.

Read @ VFRD i think the problem may lies on my radiator cap.

I changed it yesterday too. Maybe not fixed properly or wrong size.

I did notice steam coming on the radiator side of the bike this morning. probably the coolant overflowed.

Will try n check now n see how it goes.

Regardless Of Bike Class, Colour, Make Or Model

Live To Ride Bike While We Still Can

Always Ride A Honda :thumb:

Did the fan came on at 105 degree?

If yes, most probably the coolant change was a lousy job done.

Air bubbles trapped within the system, causing the overheating.

Service my bike yesterday.

Flush coolant, change EO & Oil filter + new battery.

Noticed that my bike seem to be overheating. This morning stuck in traffic jam temp. goes up to 124.

Usually in the jam reading is around 104 the most. Any ideas?

Didn't have time to send my bike back to the shop due to work.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign7.jpghttp://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign8.jpg

Read @ VFRD i think the problem may lies on my radiator cap.

I changed it yesterday too. Maybe not fixed properly or wrong size.

I did notice steam coming on the radiator side of the bike this morning. probably the coolant overflowed.

Will try n check now n see how it goes.

Was the fan running when the temperature was at 124 degrees?

I had 2 experiences in my previous bike where my coolant temperature keeps increasing but my fan did not come on. One time was due to a leakage in the coolant. Another was due to thermostat spoilt.

• 2 weeks later...

got a finding: bike is started with lights off,side stand up and in neutral. Once warmed-up,i turn on the headlights and the engine dies. Is this normal or a known issue? Or a known problem?....Won't happen when lights are switched on with bike in gear. thks

Never give the devil a ride..cos he will always want to drive

got a finding: bike is started with lights off,side stand up and in neutral. Once warmed-up,i turn on the headlights and the engine dies. Is this normal or a known issue? Or a known problem?....Won't happen when lights are switched on with bike in gear. thks

anyone?..i've tried searching but couldn't find anythg similar..btw just found out engine also dies when lights are switched on with bike in gear

Never give the devil a ride..cos he will always want to drive