SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

DIY HID - All About High Intensity Discharge

my honda wave original light is flicking, after try to install HIDs, it will light up, but the way it is flickering is damn scary, sooner or later ballast or bulb sure to spoil :giddy: tats y i quickly had it dismantle...... :pity: now back to stock bulbs.

But my big bike ok though

i thought kup kias are all like tat. When u rev, then it will light up. If not, it will flicker like nobody business.o_O

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought kup kias are all like tat. When u rev, then it will light up. If not, it will flicker like nobody business.o_O

yes, when rev up no problem. But example during idling it will flicker. For cheap HS halogen bulb its ok, but HIDs ballast/bulb is too costly for me to let it flicker. The sound is damn scary,machiam like electrical arcing sound. :giddy: lan lan have to dismantle it for the time being

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8836/copyofnanshansoyamilkmame5.jpg

maxwell hawker centre :slurp:

yes, when rev up no problem. But example during idling it will flicker. For cheap HS halogen bulb its ok, but HIDs ballast/bulb is too costly for me to let it flicker. The sound is damn scary,machiam like electrical arcing sound. :giddy: lan lan have to dismantle it for the time being

put bigger battery ??

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sounds damm scary...............sia.......... :giddy: BTW HID systems are not design to flicker .... maybe the set have problems.......... If U free show me the set can ? :cheeky:

HP: 93891138 :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

eh limbatt. its been a while....

now having slight problems with my HID. been in the installation compartment since day 1. never take out.

problem is when u rev and on the move everything is okay. but when i stop at traffic light, the light flicker like macham disco lights like that.

how do i know if its a problem with the ballast or my battery not producing enuff power to for the equipment?

even after a 20 min ride stop at traffic light will still flicker.

anything i can do?

regards

josean

now having slight problems with my HID. been in the installation compartment since day 1. never take out.

problem is when u rev and on the move everything is okay. but when i stop at traffic light, the light flicker like macham disco lights like that.

how do i know if its a problem with the ballast or my battery not producing enuff power to for the equipment?

anything i can do?

regards

josean

Hi... mate let me recondition your battery to get the voltage up & see if it helps - like nEO said it is a low/unstable voltage problem. Batteries do degrade over time gradually, so it does help if u try charging it once in a while... I am now over at my new place pls dun go to Monstone lane... see u soon mate .............

It flickers because the bike is not producing enough voltage, or stable enough voltage to power the ballast at idle.

To prove this, get a voltmeter and measure the voltage across the battery terminals of your bike while its running with the lights on.

thank mate for yr explaination - i could not hv explained it better ! How is yr new ride................. ready to HID ? Super slim Ballast .... :angel:

anything i can do?

regards

josean

:( YO JOsean, From ur description, ur HIDs set gonna kaput soon leh. Better quickly do something abt it.

Cheeko, i forgot to mention - u may also wan to built a relay to stablise the 2B low voltage problem. My 2B bike has a relay built in since day 1 - now still going strong ................. thks to nEO i hv chnage to a better quality relay - dun use a cheap $3 relay.............. cheers

Limbat > The bulbs i bought from you last time are wrong size leh, can't fit. :(

You still selling automotive relays? I think I need a couple for my scooter.

Cheeko > Usually smaller bikes electrical system are weak to save weight and space, so need to rev to around 2500rpms to get a stable voltage. See those old vespas, at idling the headlight like disco lights, how to put HID?

You might solve the problem by adding a capacitor between live and ground, right before the relay.

:cool:

Limbat > The bulbs i bought from you last time are wrong size leh, can't fit. :(

Wat type will you be needing ? bring & exchange them - relays are in stock !! cheers :)

Cheeko > Usually smaller bikes electrical system are weak to save weight and space, so need to rev to around 2500rpms to get a stable voltage. See those old vespas, at idling the headlight like disco lights, how to put HID?

You might solve the problem by adding a capacitor between live and ground, right before the relay.

Is there a formula to calculate the size (in Farads) to use for the capacitor?

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Is there a formula to calculate the size (in Farads) to use for the capacitor?

Just use a 200 - 400 pF capacitor, you should be fine. If you want to be kiasu you can use a 1Farad capacitor too. Just that your HID will still be on 20 minutes after you shut down your bike.

You add capacitors in parallel if one doesn't work well enough.

Just use a 200 - 400 pF capacitor, you should be fine. If you want to be kiasu you can use a 1Farad capacitor too. Just that your HID will still be on 20 minutes after you shut down your bike.

No worries. Thank you nE0 :thumb:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

:lol: :lol:.............

• 2 weeks later...
I heard from friend that the LTA looking into approving the HID. dont truth or not ... anyone hear some song as me

Where and when did you hear such news?

Last I heard, LTA is tightening HID rules, and in the near future all new cars must have self leveling mechanisms to have HID headlamps. This easily costs 2-3k per kit.

Where and when did you hear such news?

Last I heard, LTA is tightening HID rules, and in the near future all new cars must have self leveling mechanisms to have HID headlamps. This easily costs 2-3k per kit.

my reservist friend told me, i oso give sure or not look to him

3 Arai Helmet Meets Up :angel: