SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

DIY HID - All About High Intensity Discharge

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7223/differenthidbulbs5lz.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1612050735/hid6.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1403160597/hid1.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1145318835/hid2.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1792003379/hid3.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/728139646/hid4.jpg

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/556201954/hid5.jpg

Let's look at the diagram from left to right. When you turn on your headlight switch, it puts 12V across the relay coil which in turn closes the contacts. The contacts switch in 12V from the battery to turn on the ballast, which in turn ignites and powers the HID bulb. Pretty simple concept.

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1686025213/hid_wiring.gif

1. What are HID's?

The best way to describe an HID headlight is to compare it to a more conventional halogen headlight. A halogen bulb consists of a wire filament surrounded by an inert gas. When electrical current is applied to the filament, it glows brightly to produce light. Contrast that with an HID bulb which has no filament, but instead consists of xenon gas, mercury, and metal halide salts. The xenon gas is ignited by an arc of high-voltage current and glows brightly. Also, the high voltage is supplied by a ballast, so in these respects it is like a fluorescent light. HID's are original equipment generally found on luxury and exotic cars but are progressively finding their way into the mainstream.

2. Why install HID's?

If chosen properly, the improved light output of HID's will give you a better field of vision and thus improved safety. Plus, let's admit it, they look cool.

3. What is meant by color temperature?The Kelvin (K) is the unit of color temperature. 4100K is the brightest, most natural white light similar to that of daytime sunlight, and therefore the HID color temperature used most in the OEM automotive industry. When you look at the light coming directly out of an HID headlight, it possesses a bit of a blue or purple hue which most people recognize as the expensive, elegant look characteristic of HID's. For this reason, some HID kit manufacturers produce 5400K, 6500K, 8000K, etc. bulbs that give an even more distinct blue hue but at the expense of overall light output. For comparison, most halogen headlights have a color temperature around 3200K which gives them a "dingy" yellowish appearance compared to HID's. Blue light is more fatiguing to the eyes, both to oncoming traffic and to the driver. Oncoming cars will see your lights for only a brief time, but as the driver, you must deal with it for the duration of your drive. The bluer the tint cast on the road and surrounding area, the more quickly your eyes become tired. It's a personal choice and I recognize and respect that some install HID's mostly for the look. However, very blue headlights might get you the wrong kind of attention from law enforcement. Personally, I'd like to benefit from my investment in the way of increased visibility and safety. Be aware that most of the 6500K and higher bulbs are produced by inferior manufacturers to capitalize on the maketability of "the bigger number must be better". Their 8000K bulbs may not measure 8000K. Don't be fooled.

4. What are some good quality brands to look for?

Generally speaking, Philips or Osram (division of Sylvania) kits are recommended because they are the brands used by the major automotive OEM's. They count on quality components because dependability is critical to auto manufacturers. Other brands may use bulbs or ballasts of inferior manufacture that are prone to early failure. Perhaps even more sinister, some kits tout their use of Philips or Osram ballasts while they covertly use cheap bulbs of unknown origin that burn out quickly. So it is a good idea to check the brands you buy. They likely won't be branded by Philips or Osram directly, rather they are usually rebranded by another company. If the seller doesn't specify who makes their components, it is a gamble. A low price is very tempting (believe me, I'm the same way), so my best advice is to solicit opinions and do your research before buying.

5. What is included with a HID conversion kit?

-A typical HID conversion kit includes:

-two bulbs

-two ballasts (with built-in igniter)

-wiring harnesses

-two relays

The bulbs don't really need any more explanation. The ballasts are small boxes (usually one per bulb) that convert the car's 12VDC into high voltage AC required to illuminate the xenon gas. Usually built into the ballast is the igniter initially required to start the bulb. The wiring harnesses allow you to plug directly into your exiting car wiring with a minimum of splicing wires. Relays are sometimes included as well, one per ballast. They use the 12V from the original bulbs to switch in a lower resistance path to 12V to power the ballasts. They aren't always needed.

7. Should I replace both my high and low beams with HID's?

Most of us spend the majority of the time driving with our low beams on. Compared to the high beams, the lows usually leave the most to be desired. And HID headlight conversion kits aren't cheap. As of this writing (Jan 2004), quality kits typically cost $350-$500. For these reasons, most people opt for low-beam conversion kits only.

8. Wow, HID kits are expensive. Can't I get the same look and light output from the "HID-look" bulbs?

Yeah, they don't exactly give them away, do they? You'll get a lot of strong opinions with this question. From what I've read, those who've taken the inexpensive route seem to prefer Naxos or Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are direct replacements for factory halogens, meaning they operate on direct 12V and therefore do not require a ballast/igniter. However, many argue that these produce a light that, while better than typical halogens, is not a true white compared to HID's. They are a lot less expensive, though. You can find them for around $30 a pair online.

These HID-look bulbs achieve their light output by drawing more power from the vehicle's electrical system. Some pull as much as 100W while most stock halogens draw around 50W (typical HID's draw 35W). Also, while I haven't seen any reports of quality problems from the Naxos or Sylvania bulbs, some of the other bulbs have a nasty reputation for burning out quickly. Logically, it is probably because of the increased heat due to higher power consumption. Some users have also experienced damage to their light housings as a combination of cold weather and the increased heat from the bulbs (small bulb housings such as those used with some fog lights, in which the heat is concentrated within a small area).

9. Are HID's legal?

Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe. That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation. Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct. It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.

No more regrets.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, please don't mess with it, it can seriously injure or even kill you, its not the normal 12volt thing, the ignitor pumps up the voltage to around 22,000 volts.

Basically its Power supply to Ballast, Ballast to Ignitor (If its not an integrated ignitor model), then Ignitor to HID capsule.

before HID is on

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/995962208/bright2.jpg

after HID is on

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1619178568/bright1.jpg

HID on, on 1 side

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1776632875/bright3.jpg

HID on one side, H7 on the other.

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/352168203/bright4.jpg

b4

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/326652322/b4.jpg

after

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1796839812/after.jpg

No more regrets.

Theres an ignitor between the Ballast and the HID Capsule. Works the same way as the starter for Fluorescent bulbs.

NOrmal output from the Ballast is 85volts, but if theres an open circuit, the ignitor will raise the voltage to 22,000 volts to start the plasma arc across the Xenon gas. It wouldn't know if theres a bulb connected or not, and if it doesn't have built in protection system, it can give continous high voltage zaps that can kill easily.

Whatever you do, be careful when doing the wiring.

Guest motofreak

Then again.....u mite just get summons instead. News reports stated recently that HID is illegal unless factory fitted. THATS SO NOT FAIR!!!!

Originally posted by chris 525@Jan 6 2006, 11:15 AM

why need such a high intensity light for ?

Surprised you asked such a question, considering you ride a scrambler.

There are even helmet mounted HIDs made for people who go trail riding...

For me, yesterday I was riding in the night, in the rain, in 30 minutes of mountain roads including a lot of hairpins north of Krabi.... no street lighting... my HID was a definite advantage.

<span style=\'font-family:Ariel\'>The Difference between Men and Boys is that the Boys think the size of their Motorcycles has something to do with being a man.

Iron Butt Association#23842

here's wat i gathered from one.motoring. is it updated?

Head lamps

(e.g. aftermarket High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp kits, high wattage bulbs, etc.)

Vehicles should only be fitted with factory fitted HID lamps as they are designed to meet internationally recognised standards. Aftermarket HID lamp kits retrofitted into existing headlamps may cause unwanted glare when used. Therefore, installation of these kits are not allowed.

Replacement bulbs must be of a design recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Using a higher wattage bulb may increase the risk of fire because of a greater current being drawn to power these lamps. Therefore, these types of bulbs are not allowed.

Resolution for 2009, stay healthy, get wealthy, make more friends, ride safely & pass all exams!

Originally posted by limbat@Jan 9 2006, 10:26 PM

There may be some new regulation regarding the fitting of HIDs on automotive vehicles. Do go to LTA web site for more acurate information on HIDs application.

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

can you provide us with the link please? :smile:

Resolution for 2009, stay healthy, get wealthy, make more friends, ride safely & pass all exams!

how much is the hid?

heard it very expensive

2002-2003 aprillia rs125

2003-2008 Honda SP

2005-2006 Yahama 125z

2006-2006 Yahama R1 2001

2006-2011 Suzuki Gxsr1000 K6

2007-2007 Aprillia RS250

2008-2011 Suzuki Gxsr1000 K8

2011-2013 aprillia RSV4

2011-now ktm 525sm

2013-now husquvana 510 sm

the ignitor will raise the voltage to 22,000 volts to start the plasma arc across the Xenon gas.

wah...dint know the ballast so power..

i learn new things everyday!

:smile:

:goodluck: alex in fitting the HID~

dont flash the beam at me when overtaking me in campus then can liao :cheeky:

=[ Honda CBR150R ]=

....=[ R E P S O L ]=....

Originally posted by limbat@Jan 11 2006, 09:52 PM

Sorri - the information is it in "white paper" stage. :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

so for now still cannot install izzit? must wait until LTA announced? :confused:

wa...

so expensive?

2002-2003 aprillia rs125

2003-2008 Honda SP

2005-2006 Yahama 125z

2006-2006 Yahama R1 2001

2006-2011 Suzuki Gxsr1000 K6

2007-2007 Aprillia RS250

2008-2011 Suzuki Gxsr1000 K8

2011-2013 aprillia RSV4

2011-now ktm 525sm

2013-now husquvana 510 sm

Why DIY when there is a cheaper and better Alternative... DIY only when it make econ cents ma... :sweat:

Go to Mustaffa, auto section at 4th floor, get the Hella spot light. ~$50??? Then mount to your fork (Fork Fog Spot Light). :cheer:

91-92: 84 Yam LC125

95-97: 88 Suz GSX400R & 88 GSX400FW

97-01: 95 Suz Bandit400

01-04: 96 Suz DR650SE

04-11: 99 Suz SV650S

05-05: 94 Suz DR200SE

06-16: 06 Kia Rio 1.4(M) Sedan

11-12: 02 BMW F650GS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Originally posted by Limsteel@Jan 12 2006, 01:20 PM

Why DIY when there is a cheaper and better Alternative... DIY only when it make econ cents ma... :sweat:

Go to Mustaffa, auto section at 4th floor, get the Hella spot light. ~$50??? Then mount to your fork (Fork Fog Spot Light). :cheer:

wat kind of light is that? i remember reading off somewhere in SG u have to cover it if not it's considered illegal leh. :smile:

mustaffa like everything also have izzit? i remember seeing the stebel air horns there as well.

Originally posted by Limsteel@Jan 12 2006, 01:20 PM

Hella spot light do consume - lots of wattage & it is a additional light. Whereas HIDs will be installed into yr lighting system & uses less wattage at 35watt, not to mention the huge increase in brigtness in terms of Lumens. I really think - tt all kinda of normal FOG/SPOT lights will be obselete soon. My new range of HIDs Working Lamps 6" & 9" will be in by the end of the month. We will even hv a Remote Control HIDs Search Lamp (380 degrees left/right, 80 degrees up/down & all climate condition) .. Pls PM me for more detailed catalog....... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

HP: 93891138 :angel:

Originally posted by ozzarhomb@Jan 12 2006, 11:22 AM

so for now still cannot install izzit? must wait until LTA announced? :confused:

Guess, u can install - if yr bike has a dual headlight system. Just build the HID in 1 of the headlight, use the normal for driving & the HIDs if U need lorr ... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

HP: 93891138 :angel:

Originally posted by limbat@Jan 13 2006, 12:50 PM

Hella spot light do consume - lots of wattage & it is a additional light. Whereas HIDs will be installed into yr lighting system & uses less wattage at 35watt, not to mention the huge increase in brigtness in terms of Lumens. I really think - tt all kinda of normal FOG/SPOT lights will be obselete soon. My new range of HIDs Working Lamps 6" & 9" will be in by the end of the month. We will even hv a Remote Control HIDs Search Lamp (380 degrees left/right, 80 degrees up/down & all climate condition) .. Pls PM me for more detailed catalog....... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

wa kaoz.. sounds darn good.. making me feel like doing HID again :giddy:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1294/mbheadlightbulbs42wq.jpg

No more regrets.

it sucks to see these kinda light on the road.

really blinding. do reconsider please.

u don really need such a powerful lamp for Sg roads. We have enough road lamps to ensure ur visibility is secured.

further, even if it's to create awareness to irresponsible drivers, u can always use the PASS button available on your big bikes.

Else, you can always practise safety of judgement.

And no, locally I have not seen any local scramblers fitting these even for the means of night trails. We're not in Krabi or dark mountains for that matter. hic~

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/triprider/imgphp.jpg

Fer everyday...

is an adventure...

when you're astride...

a green monster..

WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK N' ROLL