SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

PSB & Non PSB Approved Helmets

13 hours ago, SBF said:

@Garc2992

Excellent points made.

The revised proposed fine is actually $1,000, up from the existing $500. And the new proposed ruling will apply to the PILLION as well, which means if both using non-PSB helmets, the total fine is $2,000 to the rider. OUCH! Currently the law only applies to the rider and NOT the pillion.

In the statement they did say that similar penalties will be imposed on Malaysia riders, if that is to be believed, let's see.

Last but not least, we're all hoping that TP will have more sense than to catch and fine 'errant' riders who use Arai/Shoei or other PROPERLY certified helmets, but that begs that question, if they are already NOT implementing the law, why table a proposal/legislation specifically to INCREASE the penalty? And as we all know, if they propose something, they must 'wayang' to show that they are enforcing the new law, which is VERY concerning.

We're written in to LTA / TP / MHA officially, let's see if they reply.

Thx for the correction! You are absolutely correct to say if they propose something new, there is an intention to enforce it.

Indeed it is most concerning now to us riders who own a helmet that is certified to international standards but just don't have the PSB sticker. I think it is important for us (even the shops themselves that sell non PSB approved helmets) to get an official answer from the authorities on this matter as soon as we can or we will always be looking over our shoulders for TP.

Thanks for asking the hard questions for the community, SBF! Looking forward eagerly to whatever reply from the authorities/news with regard to this matter.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Short clip on Channel News Asia regarding the harsher helmet laws, good to watch if you have a couple of minutes!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/motorcycle-helmet-psb-safety-standard-sticker-stiffer-penalties-14573102

Motorcycle association urges review of helmet safety standard after stiffer penalties for sellers proposed

Personally I feel safer wearing ECE or SNELL certified helmet than cheap PSB approved helmets because premium helmet can do better fit . Most if not all PSB approved helmets that are cheap aren't safe. Majority of these helmets do not provide good cushion fit and during accident, the helmet cannot protect your head properly. Likely the helmet can't stay on your head nicely during impact and causing more harm instead.
I do agree that a PSB approved is the minimum requirement but any international recognized safety standard shall be adopted as well. I can only hope TP who are rider themselves are able to make the correct judgement call when any rider is found to be wearing a non PSB approved but with ECE, SNELL certified helmet.

On 3/20/2008 at 6:08 PM, S-Line said:

so any fellow bikers out there know if I can still find PSB approved SHOEI Multitec in Singapore?

fhttps://www.facebook.com/TRI333PLE/videos/3746421752151571

What's a great life, without a great ride? 

Follow us on Social Media!

Facebook: /tri333ple

Youtube: /tri333ple

Instagram: @tri333ple

For business enquiries: Email: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 11:52 PM, SBF said:

@Garc2992

Excellent points made.

The revised proposed fine is actually $1,000, up from the existing $500. And the new proposed ruling will apply to the PILLION as well, which means if both using non-PSB helmets, the total fine is $2,000 to the rider. OUCH! Currently the law only applies to the rider and NOT the pillion.

In the statement they did say that similar penalties will be imposed on Malaysia riders, if that is to be believed, let's see.

Last but not least, we're all hoping that TP will have more sense than to catch and fine 'errant' riders who use Arai/Shoei or other PROPERLY certified helmets, but that begs that question, if they are already NOT implementing the law, why table a proposal/legislation specifically to INCREASE the penalty? And as we all know, if they propose something, they must 'wayang' to show that they are enforcing the new law, which is VERY concerning.

We're written in to LTA / TP / MHA officially, let's see if they reply.

Any updates on this mate?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interested to know if anyone got caught riding non PSB approved helmet.

As to the PSB approval, it's hard for small business/private e-commerce to get their helmets approved as it's cost a bomb, around $1500-$2000 depending on helmet type(open face/full face, got visor or not, and what chin strap used i.e. quick release or double d ring). Minimum helmets to be sent for testing is 4 pcs per shipment per model and amount of helmet for testing will increase if your shipment is above 100pcs. From 100pcs above, you have to send 1.5% of helmets from your shipment for testing. And the testing price doesn't include stickers. So example if you small time business, you buy 20pcs of open face helmet without visor type from your overseas supplier bring in to Singapore, then you want to send for PSB, you would need to send 4 pcs only cos your shipment below 100pcs threshold. So assuming testing would cost $1500 here, and assuming pass, you would need to purchase the stickers at another price which I don't know how much. So for this argument we assume additional $100 lah for stickers. So total cost for all this PSB approved thing already $1600. Then you add to the cost of buying the 20pcs helmets from overseas supplier maybe let's say cost is $1200(one helmet cos $60x20pcs including DDP shipping terms). So total cost now with PSB testing would be $1200(cost for helmets alone) + $1600(cost for PSB testing and stickers) = $2800. This is the amount of the cost involved. So cost per helmet now is $2800 divide by 16 helmets left(cos 4 destroyed in testing)=$175. So if the business want to make profit then they add maybe $50 per helmet so retail price to consumers would be $225. But actually helmet only cost $60 😂 And this is not included other fees unknown like GST, custom tax and customs clearance fees if any. And after going through all that, don't expect people to by helmets like they buy food. So it will take time for you to clear your stock especially when your open face helmet now cost $175 and helmets beauty is in the eye of the beholder so different folks would like different things so dont expect to clear your shipment soon, might even take the whole year I think, unless you know what helmets would sell best.

Oh and lead time for PSB testing can take about 1-2 months and if you don't have any contacts or direct emails from folks working at TUV, then sending a general enquiry on their website would take weeks before they respond back. And the info above have to ask them and is not available on their website. Ontop of the fact their PSB testing is done behind closed doors(I think) and you will get report to say pass or fail and if fail what was the reason. Also only one tester i.e. TUV so they can monopolize here 😅 not like vicom vs sta. So this PSB makes money for TUV, keeps larger helmet businesses happy as it eliminates competition, adds job scope to TP/LTA, and generates income for govt from fines.

If govt review this PSB thingy then it would be better. Like sending only 1 or 2 helmets for testing and keep prices low like below $500 regardless of helmet type or model and inclusive of PSB stickers. And maybe have vicom and sta to do it too so got price competition for testings vs monopoly. 

By the way this a good example I think. Look at  "Bimola" Helmet "shenron dragon ball design " after PSB approved cost SGD$300 per pc. But if you buy from a supplier on Alibaba in china, that same helmet without the Bimola branding is only SGD$52 per pc but MOQ is 2pcs lah. Look at the design between both of them lol it's exactly the same 😂 Not sure if true or not lah in terms of the design but just pointing out the similarity.

Anywho, If you buy between 10pcs to 999pcs then price for that helmet would be SGD$49 per pc. And most suppliers on Alibaba would allow you to put your own branding/company logo onto the helmet if you buy above 200 pcs, some may allow custom logo with lower MOQ depending on supplier. You can even modify things like chin strap from quick release to double d ring or the helmet aesthetics to look different vs the other clones, helmet liner different colour or feel etc.

When I say clones I'm referring to the same helmet but with different branding on them. So with this info you may wonder if low end helmet brands are just rebranded or rebranding of generic helmets made in china, Taiwan or Vietnam etc. I also noticed EVO RS9 open face helmet designs are very similar to the helmets brand "GSB" open face helmets in china. Can't say for certain but one can only wonder if EVO is the original brand and designer or was it GSB who created the design then EVO just reached out to them and ask them to be rebranded. Again not pointing fingers but just noticed the similarities there. See attached pics.

The only helmets that I think is 100% true to their roots is shoei and arai. I think even AGV for low end ranges they may engage china factories to produce their helmets.

So technically anyone can be helmet supplier now since all can just download Alibaba and start reaching out to suppliers. You will be surprised how much cheaper you can get quality products minus the branding and marketing.

Last thing I want to point out is, can you get imagine how much those trax/MHR/common brand helmets would actually cost at factory price. I won't be surprised if it's actually only SGD$10-15 and yet deemed to be PSB and safer. How much protection, R&D and tech would go into a helmet that only took about SGD$10-15 to produce and to retail at warehouse price at around SGD$20 and after bringing in to Singapore, customs fees, GST, PSB testing and sticker fees, marketing efforts, would retail at SGD$60-$90. But actually it's origin price is SGD$10-15.

Wah I cannot brain leh 😂..imo customers should now be allowed to buy what we feel is safe for us. There's too many options now with e commerce ontop of folks being more well informed on what helmet's are good apart from branding, i.e. helmet material ABS/abs2/polycarbonate/FRP fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar, helmet weight, eps, what chin strap to look for i.e. Double d ring or quick release chin buckle, helmet liners COOLMAX type or regular or suede/leather, inner visor or don't need, sizing of helmet, Snell, DOT, ECE, CCC, FIM, Sharp safety ratings.

Do we really need PSB at this day and age now..well that's my rant sorry folks 😂

Screenshot_2023-03-11-09-46-05-95_bb71f92a87515742bfe522efc6c7e253.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-09-46-32-69_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-09-46-47-79_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-09-47-11-23_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-10-20-02-63_090d9ae461b065ca11c329abb9cd0d70.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-10-25-47-70_bb71f92a87515742bfe522efc6c7e253.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-10-30-28-01_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-11-10-28-21-80_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg

Edited by Rozvent17