SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

PSB & Non PSB Approved Helmets

Dear Fellow Bikers,

Have been hearing form some bike shops that TP is on the row now to catch riders using non PSB approved Helmet. Also 3 demerit point with $120 fine.

We all know it is a violation under TP to use a non PSB approved Helmet but really that bad?

In fact I have been searching for a reasonable good helmet for a while and budget also increase along the way to find a good and comfy one. Finally I found the SHOEI Multitec that fits me like a glove but non PSB. Bcos of the demerit point thinggy still end up buying those below $200 (Full Face) bcos they got PSB sticker.:sian:

The only reason why those higher-end helmet got no PSB approval now is becos the cost is to high for the agent to send different size and model for destructive testing. But I feel the whole rational is just crazy. Which will give better protection? PSB approved ZEUS, VIPER, MHR, EVO, MGP, GPR or NOLAN, SHOEI, ARAI, AGV to name a few.....

I was thinking if TP catch becos I am using a non-approved SHOEI helmet, then I say " sorry Sir, my concern is for my safety hence I get this Helmet, do you think my SHOEI FULL FACE is better than the White MHR Open Face Helmet?" anyway still get summon rite?

• Like 1

S-Line

STOC#7567

BUFFERING: Give yourself space. People driving cars often just don’t see motorcycles. Even when drivers do see you, chances are they’ve never been on a motorcycle and can’t properly judge your speed.

TP and safety are different issue. The main issue is the insurance's policy. All insurance coverage for rider or pillion must fall within the insurance condition such as? Make a guess? "PSB APPROVED HELMET"

Without PSB approved helmet, insurance will be hard to claim and that why TP are enforcing rider to wear PSB approved helmet. Not for the safety issue but more of the insurance issue.

I personally feel that riders should buy Arai or AGV helmet with PSB sticker. Helmet without PSB is just like parallel import PSP. No warranty and no insurance coverage. But why are shop selling some arai/agv with PSB while some dun? because of the cost and time = profit. We should actually refrain from buying w/o PSB but at least wait till the same model to be out with PSB eg. AGV Longway

With enough money, one can also get a $700-800 super safety Arai helmet with PSB if we wait compared to $1100 AGV w/o PSB. When during accident (touchwood), yes, both helmets protect you well but in the end, Arai with PSB can successfully and easily claim all medical and insurance while AGV w/o PSB will be hard to claim.

Does this makes sense? Its not that only cheapo helmet are PSB, there are also high-end helmet with PSB and Vice versa for helmet w/o PSB. Cheap or high-end, PSB is as important as you buying a health insurance.

Car:

Leisure driving and family outing

Kia Cerato/Auto/Sedan:

Present FC: 11.03km/L

this rule is actually seldom enforced with the exception of riding schools.

They are enforce everywhere especially in school where insurance extend to your safety riding in school. Well, you may happened to why to TP officer that this rule "Seldom Enforced" with the "Exception of riding school". See how is the officer reaction after this? :D

Car:

Kia Cerato/Auto/Sedan:

juz curious, are there any cases whr ins claim cannot be made due 2 the wearing of non PSB approved helmets?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/fba8485c/PGMIV250.jpg

I also curious, how many does and how many dun? but as a guideline, insurance claim on medical (on the head) definitely required a PSB approved helmet. Unless dun have, the insurance company will have excuses. What I'm trying to say is that-

1) Ultimately regarding what model of helmet, If we all insist we only buy with PSB sticker, they (Bike shops) will come out with PSB approved helmet of the desired model.

2) Please wear PSB helmet so that we will not give any chance for insurance company to pull a fast one on us rider.

3) I dun work for PSB, I'm just speaking on my point of view.

Car:

Kia Cerato/Auto/Sedan:

so any fellow bikers out there know if I can still find PSB approved SHOEI Multitec in Singapore?

S-Line

STOC#7567

BUFFERING: Give yourself space. People driving cars often just don’t see motorcycles. Even when drivers do see you, chances are they’ve never been on a motorcycle and can’t properly judge your speed.

No PSB approved Shoeis in singapore, which is a pity because it's my preferred brand of helmet.

There might be other high-end brands that are approved, but the problem is not everyone's head is the same. Some people find that shoei fits them better, and not arai or agv. Especially if you ride long distance or do hard/track riding, having an uncomfortable helmet can be distracting and dangerous.

Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

den if its a PSB approved helmet but when u wan to spray the helmet,u surely have to peel off the sticker..

does the helmet still be claim as PSB approved helmet..

try example is NOVA helmet...u surely gona airbrush it or watsoever...

YAMAHA spark135 '07 - present

HONDA S4 '08 - present

I also curious, how many does and how many dun? but as a guideline, insurance claim on medical (on the head) definitely required a PSB approved helmet. Unless dun have, the insurance company will have excuses.

I am unaware of any situation where the insurance company had repudiated liability on the ground that it is not a PSB helmet. I am curious as to how in the event of an accident, how would the insurance ever learn that a non-PSB or a PSB helmet was used?

My point is that is there any credibility to the claim that insurers will not honour a policy if a non-PSB helmet is used? My perusal of my NTUC policy does not seem to say anything on that.

Cheers

Cat

... what you looking at? Never seen a cow that wants to go places ????! ...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/bikermeow/Miscellaneous/cow4uz.jpg

Agreed.... I've ever emailed NTUC with regards to that but i never recieved any reply whatsoever. So much for customer service.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Arcfire/PGforumbike.jpg

Jun 2002 - May 2003 ~ NSR150SP

May2003 - Dec 2006 ~ GSXR400RR

Oct 2006 - Present ~ Burgman AN400K3

do you think my SHOEI FULL FACE is better than the White MHR Open Face Helmet?" anyway still get summon rite?

Not to 4gt..DOT snell aka international approved. lol. I heard frm my frd say tat gov earns frm every PSB sticker. :cheeky:

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Stay_a_Hero_Campaign.jpg

Like father like son

Shoei n other cheaper brand is like....Comparing a LV with a Giordano

ops.

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Stay_a_Hero_Campaign.jpg

Like father like son

• 10 months later...

bros, im sorry to dig up an old thread. but i've just been involved in an accident. personally, im fine so medical wise im not so worried about claiming. but i was thinking of claiming for damage to helmet and such. im wearin HJC (non psb approved).

should i try to make the claim for damage of my helmet?

if i choose not to, will the insurance company ask me such questions and will i get into a complicated trouble? mainly i dont want it to interfere with the claiming of damages for my bike.

thanks!

btw, my insurance co. is AXA and the other party (comfort taxi) is of course, NTUC

2008 July - 2010 March: Daelim Roadwin R 125 (FBC 8363 K)

2010 March - 2011 September: SYM GTS 200 (FBD 7445 J)

2011 September - 2013 April: Yamaha Fazer fz6s2 (FBB 5824 Y)

2013 March - now: Honda NC700XD (FBH **** D)

Agreed.... I've ever emailed NTUC with regards to that but i never recieved any reply whatsoever. So much for customer service.

You'll never get an answer from such quetions, its like asking can i take mc and if i dont get caught. You are better off with a PSB apprved Helmet, after all if you're going all that way to get a highend helmet, what have you got to lose, other than your head?????

i too am in a mindful debate on what helmet to get, so i have decided must be psb approved) then what brandand budget (for a FF). Nolan , HJC, AGV, OGK, KBC. They say either AGV or OGK is a very light helmet but uses a clip to buckle up.

Still deciding...any thought s anyone?

• 1 month later...

Is KBC helmet PSB approved? hw abt SHARK helmet? I like shark helmet but seems like its nt PSB approved... looking for FF helmet with smaller shell... currently using striker... shell v. big... but no choice coz its PSB approved and within budget... any recommendation for FF under 300?

• 1 year later...
Are there a list of PSB approved helmets we can look at? Or got sticker then considered approved even though it's the same helmet?

PSB, as i understand it, does not certify the helmets based on the model like Snell or ECE. instead, its by batch.

i.e, a batch of 'ABC' brand '123' model helmets are batch tested, and if pass, all the helmets in that batch and only that batch are given psb stickers, and off you go. a second batch of 'ABC-123' helmets which do not go through this process is deemed non-approved.

thats why some shops will sell the same model open face at $10 less for one without the sticker, and this helmet will not be deemed PSB-approved.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

• 10 years later...
  • Administrators

Quoted from Straits Times today, this might mean there will be huge changes to the helmet industry in Singapore with stiffer fines, penalties, and on the retail market for helmets.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/parliament-higher-fines-and-more-jail-time-for-illegal-street-racers-under-proposed

MHA is also introducing a new offence that will penalise motorcyclists who fail to ensure that their pillion rider wears a helmet.

Motorcyclists continue to be involved in a disproportionate number of traffic accidents resulting in injury or death, according to the Traffic Police's annual statistics.

Last year, motorcyclists and pillion riders made up about 60 per cent of all traffic fatalities.

Under the proposed offence, a motorcyclist who does not ensure that his pillion rider wears a helmet can be fined up to $1,000, jailed for up to three months, or both. The maximum fine for importing or selling non-approved helmets will also be doubled from $500 to $1,000 for first-time offenders, and from $1,000 to $2,000 for repeat offenders.

We've reached out to LTA/TP to clarify what the above means and also if those currently using non-PSB approved helmets will be affected.

Are you using a PSB approved helmet?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Boboi1974 said:

Is KYT helmet PSB approved? 

@Boboi1974

It depends on where you bought it from and which models.

Motorparts Asia most of their KYT helmets are PSB approved i believe with the exception of the KYT Venom. Some other resellers of the KYT helmets do not send for PSB certification. Helmetboys website doesn't seem to state whether their KYT helmets are PSB approved.

Which model is yours and where did you purchase it from?

I strongly disbelieve that Foreign riders i.e. our Malaysian bros will get penalised for not having a PSB approved sticker. I mean how are they going to get a PSB sticker across the causeway. What this essentially mean is that only Singapore Riders are the only ones at the tail end of this law.

I have no doubt that the law is amended with good intentions to eradicate fake helmets, but this law only serves to make Riding with a Full Face helmet more expensive. I personally have not seen any helmet retailers beside Cheong Aik and SG Racing World selling PSB approved Full Face Helmets. So while there is good intention of this law, i think it only backfires in implementation as it only forces us local riders to down-class to a cheaper helmet option, i.e. open face helmets. Most local riders of which, i generalize, to be unable to afford a 500-600+ SHOEI/AGV Full Face helmet with a PSB sticker when their current 150+ full face KYT/BELL/ARAI helmets already serve the same purpose.

In essence, Cheong Aik and SG Racing World are the only ones smiling and laughing as they now essentially monopolize full face helms in SG now. 

That being said, I've have yet to see TP clamp down on riders whose helmets don't have a PSB sticker. But now with this Road Traffic Amendment 2021, who here is willing to gamble with 500$SGD and 3months jail time?

Edited by Garc2992
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 4/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, Garc2992 said:

I strongly disbelieve that Foreign riders i.e. our Malaysian bros will get penalised for not having a PSB approved sticker. I mean how are they going to get a PSB sticker across the causeway. What this essentially mean is that only Singapore Riders are the only ones at the tail end of this law.

I have no doubt that the law is amended with good intentions to eradicate fake helmets, but this law only serves to make Riding with a Full Face helmet more expensive. I personally have not seen any helmet retailers beside Cheong Aik and SG Racing World selling PSB approved Full Face Helmets. So while there is good intention of this law, i think it only backfires in implementation as it only forces us local riders to down-class to a cheaper helmet option, i.e. open face helmets. Most local riders of which, i generalize, to be unable to afford a 500-600+ SHOEI/AGV Full Face helmet with a PSB sticker when their current 150+ full face KYT/BELL/ARAI helmets already serve the same purpose.

In essence, Cheong Aik and SG Racing World are the only ones smiling and laughing as they now essentially monopolize full face helms in SG now. 

That being said, I've have yet to see TP clamp down on riders whose helmets don't have a PSB sticker. But now with this Road Traffic Amendment 2021, who here is willing to gamble with 500$SGD and 3months jail time?

@Garc2992

Excellent points made.

The revised proposed fine is actually $1,000, up from the existing $500. And the new proposed ruling will apply to the PILLION as well, which means if both using non-PSB helmets, the total fine is $2,000 to the rider. OUCH! Currently the law only applies to the rider and NOT the pillion.

In the statement they did say that similar penalties will be imposed on Malaysia riders, if that is to be believed, let's see.

Last but not least, we're all hoping that TP will have more sense than to catch and fine 'errant' riders who use Arai/Shoei or other PROPERLY certified helmets, but that begs that question, if they are already NOT implementing the law, why table a proposal/legislation specifically to INCREASE the penalty? And as we all know, if they propose something, they must 'wayang' to show that they are enforcing the new law, which is VERY concerning.

We're written in to LTA / TP / MHA officially, let's see if they reply.

• Like 1